Ex-Broncos receiver Marshall was nearly a New York Jet

jaspegs

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_14907098?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

A couple more million dollars from the New York Jets and the Broncos may well have received that coveted first-round draft pick for Brandon Marshall.

According to NFL sources familiar with the 40-day process of trading Marshall from Denver, the talented receiver was in demand despite his troubled past. In addition to Miami, which gave up two second-round draft picks for Marshall last week, the Jets, Seahawks and Buccaneers also showed serious interest.

In a deal brokered by his agent, Kennard McGuire, Marshall got his wish, a trade from Denver, as well as an all-time record contract for a wide receiver: four years and $47.5 million.

Even Marshall acknowledged the deal exceeded his expectations given his limited leverage to force a trade.

"If you look at on the field, there's no question who I am and what I'm worth as a player," Marshall said. "But off the field there were some concerns. But for me, the past is the past. I know I'm not perfect, but people have seen that I went from a very immature guy to someone who's trying to be professional and a man. I think I'm on the right track."

While the Seahawks were the most aggressive pursuers, the Jets were the front-runners as late as the NFL owners meetings in late March in Orlando, Fla.

At the AFC coaches' breakfast March 23, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said he didn't think Marshall would be a good fit for his team. The media crossed off Miami as a potential destination.

Later that day, McGuire met with executives of the Seahawks, Jets and Buccaneers. The Jets were ready to present Marshall with an offer sheet, which would have meant surrendering their first-round pick, No. 29 overall, to the Broncos.

Marshall not only would have given young Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez a No. 1 target, he would have helped the franchise create a splash as it fights for media attention with the Giants as the teams get ready to share a new stadium.

The Broncos would have gladly taken that No. 29 pick. The Jets, though, could not come up with a long-term contract that satisfied Marshall. There was no sense submitting an offer sheet if Marshall wasn't going to sign long term.

The Jets then began pursuing other receivers, eventually acquiring Pittsburgh's Santonio Holmes for a fifth-round draft pick.

About a week after the owners' meetings, the Dolphins began showing interest in Marshall.

I bet the Broncos would have loved our 29th pick and the vast majority of Jets fans would have been having a circle jerk just like the fin fans did...especially the ones that came on this site within light speed after the signing.

But, you know what, I am perfectly happy with our receiving corps...we're going to put up some great numbers this year...bank it.

I bet the Broncos would have loved our 29th pick and the vast majority of Jets fans would have been having a circle jerk just like the fin fans did...especially the ones that came on this site within light speed after the signing.

But, you know what, I am perfectly happy with our receiving corps...we're going to put up some great numbers this year...bank it.

Agreed

I do think that Marshal is a better receiver then Holmes but I don't think he's better then Holmes + whoever we draft at 1

The Broncos would have gladly taken that No. 29 pick. The Jets, though, could not come up with a long-term contract that satisfied Marshall. There was no sense submitting an offer sheet if Marshall wasn't going to sign long term.

The Jets then began pursuing other receivers, eventually acquiring Pittsburgh's Santonio Holmes for a fifth-round draft pick.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. At the very least, Holmes is comparable to Marshall as a legitimate NFL #1 WR. We got one for a 5th round pick rather than a 1st (or two 2nd's).

And frankly, I prefer Holmes' ability to stretch the field.

I prefer Holmes' ability to stretch the field.

Agreed. Marshall might well be the best in the business overall, but if Holmes can put away the one hitter and stay on the field, he's a better deep threat which will clear out some real estate for Edwards, Cotch, and Keller.

I'd kinda like to think we're still going to run the ball a few downs too.

I'm stoked just thinking through the offensive options we now have - and a D that will be getting them the ball a lot.

Agreed. Marshall might well be the best in the business overall, but if Holmes can put away the one hitter and stay on the field, he's a better deep threat which will clear out some real estate for Edwards, Cotch, and Keller.

I'd kinda like to think we're still going to run the ball a few downs too.

I'm stoked just thinking through the offensive options we now have - and a D that will be getting them the ball a lot.

Holmes and Edwards are both serious downfield threats. Both have to be accounted for whenever they're on the field, and a safety has to be assigned to double up on at least one of them. I'd platoon them, with a lot of 3 WR sets mixed in, and run them downfield often just to soften up the dee.

Leaves a lot underneath for crossing routes, but also screens and the running game.

It's definitely exciting.

Being that we got Holmes for a 5th, I'm glad it did not go through.

Giving in to Marshall's contract demands and trading our #1 pick may have done more bad than good.

I like that Tanny and the Jets did not cave!

We wouldn't have been able to sign Marshall long term with all the important players we must re-sign (D'Brick, Mangold, Revis, Mangold). And hopefully we can effectively use our 29th pick and get a player like Everson Griffin if he's available to help our pass rush.

We wouldn't have been able to sign Marshall long term with all the important players we must re-sign (D'Brick, Mangold, Revis, Mangold). And hopefully we can effectively use our 29th pick and get a player like Everson Griffin if he's available to help our pass rush.

Not sure why everyone suggests we couldnt or wouldnt sign Marshall long term. If we are to believe the story, the Jets were only a few million dollars a part here. Considering he got $47M ($24M guarenteed), even a slighlty lower deal would have been a huge financial coimmitment; which it seems the Jets were prepared to do.

If we lose Santonio after this year, passing on Marshall may not be celebrated as much next year.

im very disappointed we couldnt close the deal, the guys clearly the best wr in the league and hes still young, why not give him the money and dump braylon later when braylons going to be asking for a similar big long term deal anyway. and i would rather not have a 1 with marshall, the guys the best

im very disappointed we couldnt close the deal, the guys clearly the best wr in the league and hes still young, why not give him the money and dump braylon later when braylons going to be asking for a similar big long term deal anyway. and i would rather not have a 1 with marshall, the guys the best

What makes this guy the best? I can't believe the ball washing this guy gets. He's definitely very good, but there are definitely a couple WR's I'd rather have than BM. Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald right off the top of my head, with guys like Vincent Jackson and Miles Austin in the conversation as well.

Marshall's a premier possession receiver.

not a chance this guy is the best there is. he goes after the ball very hard making one handed catches and great plays. his yac is also incredible, hes one of the toughest recievers to bring down because of his strength and speed. him and andre johnson r very similar

Jets were ready to give up first round pick for Marshall

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 18, 2010 8:37 AM ET

The Broncos nearly got the first round pick they wanted for Brandon Marshall.

As recently as the league's annual meetings, the Jets were reportedly the favorites for Marshall, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

New York was comfortable giving up their first round pick for Marshall, and tried to sign the now-Dolphin to an offer sheet. The Jets, however, couldn't come up with a contract that made Marshall happy. The offer sheet never came, the Jets moved on, and the Dolphins began to show interest about one week later.

It's not like the AFC East needed any more subplots, but keep this news in mind if Marshall starts rampaging through Revis Island this year.

Klis reports that the Seahawks were the most aggressive team throughout the process, but the Bucs also showed serious interest.

:yes:

Jets were ready to give up first round pick for Marshall

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 18, 2010 8:37 AM ET

The Broncos nearly got the first round pick they wanted for Brandon Marshall.

As recently as the league's annual meetings, the Jets were reportedly the favorites for Marshall, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

New York was comfortable giving up their first round pick for Marshall, and tried to sign the now-Dolphin to an offer sheet. The Jets, however, couldn't come up with a contract that made Marshall happy. The offer sheet never came, the Jets moved on, and the Dolphins began to show interest about one week later.

It's not like the AFC East needed any more subplots, but keep this news in mind if Marshall starts rampaging through Revis Island this year.

Klis reports that the Seahawks were the most aggressive team throughout the process, but the Bucs also showed serious interest.

Dream on douche' :Nuts:

not a chance this guy is the best there is.

I agree.

he goes after the ball very hard making one handed catches and great plays. his yac is also incredible, hes one of the toughest recievers to bring down because of his strength and speed. him and andre johnson r very similar

11.1 YPC last year. Just how incredible can his YAC be?

He catches the ball very well (although he also has his share of drops), but he's not a downfield, bring it to the house threat at all.

not a chance this guy is the best there is. he goes after the ball very hard making one handed catches and great plays. his yac is also incredible, hes one of the toughest recievers to bring down because of his strength and speed. him and andre johnson r very similar

It would be great to have the majority of the 2010 All Pro team in Jet Green and we will have a few - we can't have every position with top 5 talent nor can any other team - you can't pay'em. We're stacking up strong in almost every position and now need to work on depth. I'm sure there's a good plan in place for that as I type this.

Johnson > Marshall.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=WR&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

No it

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=WR&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

No it’s not.

His YAC is 5.0

Jerricho Cotchery is 5.5

Santonio Holmes is 6.3

Even Edwards is right there with him at 4.8

THANK YOU!

Leonwash & others project their vision of a WR on other players.

Brandon Marshall is a better Keyshawn Johnson. He's not a Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, or Moss in his prime.

Marshall's YAC avg is nothing to write home about and his YPC is nearly 5 yards less than Holmes and Edwards.

Marshall isn't a deep threat. His 10 TDs are a product of short yardage situations.

im not saying his statistical yac is the best but if you watch film of him he has top potential for yac. the man needs 2 defenders to bring him down and he is like andre johnson. a tall and powerful receiver who is aggressive and gets the ball

calvin johnson is better

larry fitz is better

wes welkah is better

andre is better

and cotchery is better

Andre Johnson has a 15.5 Yard per catch average, Marahall is 11.1.

That’s the difference between a very good possession WR, and a Great WR

In all honesty, in view of the fact that the Jets all ready have Cotchery, I am much more happy with Holmes.

im not saying his statistical yac is the best but if you watch film of him he has top potential for yac. the man needs 2 defenders to bring him down and he is like andre johnson. a tall and powerful receiver who is aggressive and gets the ball

LOL. When?

All young WRs in Marshall's age group are doing that already.

When is the almighty Marshall going to start doing it?

Like Flgreen mentioned, Marshall is a good possession WR, while others like Johnson & Fitz are great WRs.

Again, Marshall is a better Keyshawn Johnson. He's a high volume possession WR.

As much as I love Brandon Marshall and as raging as my hard-on would have been had we been able to make that trade, I'm glad we got Holmes instead. Holmes is not in the same league as Marshall. Holmes is a good receiver. Marshall is a GREAT receiver...top five in the league, bar none. Santonio will never get there.

The kicker is that we got Holmes for scraps. We gave up virtually nothing. That makes it a better deal for this team. Marshall is the superior player, but the deal we got on Holmes was so superior to the deal for Marshall that it was completely the right move.

Archived