This sounds to me like BT will be traded

GREENBEAN

This is a line Rex said in an interview when asked about Faneca, BT, and Ellis being released or traded.

I I can say this, Bryan Thomas I'll say right now, he's not going to be released. I'm not going to talk about any other players, but Bryan Thomas is not going to be released.

That just has an eery obviousness to it. It seems transparent. I wonder what we could get for BT or if he would be packaged to move up in the draft tomorrow night.

What I think might happen is that the Jets draft their pass rusher at 29 (either Hughes, Kindle, or Graham) and then look to trade Thomas for something like a 5th round pick. He would be expendable with an OLB corps of Pace/Taylor/Draft Pick.

Not sure I like the [possible] move but it certainly seems like he could be the odd man out.

I'm the first person to tell you how much I can't stand Bryan Thomas. The guy admitted you not playing hard. However, since then he's done a decent job. Not worth the 1st round pick we took him with, but worth a lot more then a 5th rounder to us. We need to keep him unless it's a 3rd and that isn't going to happen.

I'm the first person to tell you how much I can't stand Bryan Thomas. The guy admitted you not playing hard. However, since then he's done a decent job. Not worth the 1st round pick we took him with, but worth a lot more then a 5th rounder to us. We need to keep him unless it's a 3rd and that isn't going to happen.

Do you think that statement has an underlying meaning though? Why did he say it like that then choose NOT to comment on anyone else mentioned. It just feels odd to me.

The only time I ever really liked BT was in the Sandiego game this past playoffs. He had the most crushing hit on the TE (I think) I was screaming with delight after that hit!!!

Other than that, he's been average at best IMO

Moving him to Cleveland would make a lot of sense. They need an OLB and have extra picks and he's familiar with Mangini's scheme. Could be for a pick straight up or as a part of a pick for pick trade that allows us to get better value for our pick. I could see them trading to our pick to grab Colt McCoy who they apparently love, one spot ahead of the Vikes is a nice place to move up to.

In a draft as deep as this one, that's about as good as it's gonna get for an aging LB. I'd take a late-4th or 5th in a heartbeat. It would almost be like we traded Thomas for Santonio Holmes straight up. Also, it would give us another chip to use if we wanted to trade up somewhere.

This is a line Rex said in an interview when asked about Faneca, BT, and Ellis being released or traded.

I I can say this, Bryan Thomas I'll say right now, he's not going to be released. I'm not going to talk about any other players, but Bryan Thomas is not going to be released.

That just has an eery obviousness to it. It seems transparent. I wonder what we could get for BT or if he would be packaged to move up in the draft tomorrow night.

Agreed. He also talked about how he plans to use BT as the main OLB guy in order to keep Taylor fresh for the end of games, when they'll need the pass rush the most. Seems to me he's trying to bolster his trade value in case the situation arises where they want to trade him as part of a deal to move up or straight up for a mid-late round pick. The only way we're going OL in round 1 is if we move up...And I dont think we're about to do that so Faneca should be safe and we have nowhere near the depth at DE to trade/cut Ellis this offseason. Even if we do draft a good DE or two.

Agreed. He also talked about how he plans to use BT as the main OLB guy in order to keep Taylor fresh for the end of games, when they'll need the pass rush the most. Seems to me he's trying to bolster his trade value in case the situation arises where they want to trade him as part of a deal to move up or straight up for a mid-late round pick. The only way we're going OL in round 1 is if we move up...And I dont think we're about to do that so Faneca should be safe and we have nowhere near the depth at DE to trade/cut Ellis this offseason. Even if we do draft a good DE or two.

I think how he said it was that JT would be used to take plays away from BT and Pace. That way we can be fresh in the 4th quarter. I like the idea. It's just in this time of draft positioning and spinning, I can't help but wonder if what he was saying was meant to make people think something. Tanny has been pretty consistent with that sort of thing the past few seasons.

Either way, I would like to see us get something for BT as long as we do not create another depth problem.

Think you are way over thinking this Bean. I think Rex was just being Rex. Telling the truth as he saw it.

If it were Tannenbaum saying it, Thomas should put his house up for sale. Thomas is the most affected by the signing of Taylor. I really think Rex was just reassuring him that he still had a job.

I'm not a fan of Bryan Thomas, and I know he's not the best player on the field. However, I do like his defense in terms of stopping the run. I know he has never played like a 1st rounder, but he's not as bad as it seems.

The Jets need depth at LB even if we do draft a LB. I think JT is only going to be here for a year, and I think we're going to use him mostly on 3rd downs while we use Thomas on 1st and maybe 2nd.

If we do trade Thomas, I don't think what we'll get in return will help this team now. We're looking to win it all IMO. The Jets or Jets' fans can't say our year is in 2011 or whatever. We haven't ****ing won in more than 40 years. Our time to win is now. We can't risk trading a player for a 6th rounder.

No thanks.

In fairness to BT all he really admitted to was not practicing hard.

I'm not a fan of Bryan Thomas, and I know he's not the best player on the field. However, I do like his defense in terms of stopping the run. I know he has never played like a 1st rounder, but he's not as bad as it seems.

The Jets need depth at LB even if we do draft a LB. I think JT is only going to be here for a year, and I think we're going to use him mostly on 3rd downs while we use Thomas on 1st and maybe 2nd.

If we do trade Thomas, I don't think what we'll get in return will help this team now. We're looking to win it all IMO. The Jets or Jets' fans can't say our year is in 2011 or whatever. We haven't ****ing won in more than 40 years. Our time to win is now. We can't risk trading a player for a 6th rounder.

No thanks.

We may be trying to "win now", but we also should take advantage of this deep draft class. We're a couple injuries away from that "win now" approach failing, so depth at some crucial positions is important.

Also, Thomas is pretty much an interchangeable part. We could plug Westerman/Taylor in there and do all right. And nothing has precluded us from drafting a DE/OLB early on in the draft anyways.

Rex didn't say he wouldn't be traded. :-k

Rex didn't say he wouldn't be traded. :-k

That's what I'm saying. :)

The thought of him trying to reassure BT after the Taylor signing seems realistic too. Like FLgreen said, if it were Tanny saying this, BT should sell his house. LOL

Archived