The "Revis" comparison has started.

villain_the_foe

I was the 1st to say it last year, I was laughed at by Jet fans at that. Rex said it, he was regarded as knowing what he was talking about. Now the media is catching on.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/398153-darrelle-revis-a-comparison-to-the-nfls-best-ever-cornerbacks

Revis is being compared to the best CB's ever and is tooted as having the best season a CB has ever put together.

Not suprised actually, I do remember saying that. :-) They better sign this guy long term.

Darrelle Revis: A Comparison to The NFL's Best Ever Cornerbacks

6a00e5513d181b88340133ef239300970b-800wi

Is Darrelle Revis the best cornerback ever? If he plays at the level he played last season for five more years, will be his name forever be ingrained in the books as a legend? Will he go down in football mythology as the most dominant cornerback to ever play the game? Well, what better way to find out than to compare him to the likes of Deion Sanders, Mel Blount, Rod Woodson, and Dick Lane?

Lets's take a look at Revis' opponents the last season first:

6a00e5513d181b88340133ef210684970b-800wi

I'll give you a few seconds to let that sink in. That isn't just an impressive season, that is probaby the best season that any cornerback has ever bad. Maybe even the most dominant performance football player ever. Remember 4,806 yard, 50 TD season in 2007? I'm sure you do. Well that Revis did this past year is the defensive equivilant of that. There have been cornerbacks who have had seasons that can rival that, but none that will simply follow the best receiver on the other team around all game, frustrating him more than he has ever been frustrated before. Even Nnamdi Asomugha just covers one side of the field. Darrelle Revis covers one player. The best player. The Andre Johnson's of the league.

I couldn't find a game-by-game breakdown of Deion Sanders' opponents' stats past the ninth game of the 1994 season. Sanders won the defensive player of the year award during that season and it has often been regarded as one of the best seasons any cornerback has ever had. So how did he do in comparison to Revis? He didn't even come close. It isn't ever worth trying to make an argument. He opened the season by giving up 7 receptions and 81 yards to the Saints' Michael Haynes. He had a Revis-like performance in week two, but then Michael Irvin cut into him for 8 receptions and 94 yards. He didn't give up a touchdown until week five, but Tony Martin's 9 reception, 172 yards, 1 touchdown performance is the blemish on Sanders' season that sets Revis apart from him. Even worse, Michael Irvin pulled off a 12 reception, 192 yard, 2 touchdown game in week eight. He averaged giving up 94.1 yards through those first nine games. Revis gave up just over half of the 847 yards Sanders gave up in those nine games over the entire season. Revis was scored on once in 16 games. Sanders? 4 times in just 9 games.

Next up: Mel Blount. His best season with the Steelers took place in 1975, a year in which he picked off 11 passes while winning the defensive player of the year award. So was he as good as Darrelle Revis? In week seven, Isaac Curtis of the Cincinnati Bengals beat Blount three times, pulling in 80 yards on the receptions. He held Curtis to 34 yards later in the season, but he did sneak by for a score. Riley Odoms, the top receiver for the Denver Broncos, had a respectable 63 yard game with Blount covering him in week five. Houston Oilers receiver Ken Burrough almost hit triple digits with his 99 yard performance against the Steelers. Burrough only managed 56 yards the next time Blount covered him, but his touchdown late in the fourth quarter was the turning point in an Oilers rout of Pittsburgh. So did Blount have a good season? Without a doubt. A great season? Absolutely. A better season than Deion Sanders in '94? You betcha. But a better season than Darrelle Revis in 2009? NO WAY!

Two down. Two to go. And it only gets harder for Revis from this point forward. The next challenger is an NFL Hall of Fame cornerback. He reached the Pro Bowl an astounding 11 times and was voted as an All Pro 6 times. He won the defensive player of the year award just one season before Deion Sanders. That's right ladies and gentelman...Rod Woodson. The Steelers obviously had some luck drafting quarterbacks through the years. Four years after Mel Blount made his exit, they drafted Rod Woodson in the first round of the 1987 NFL Draft. So let's take a look at his 1993 season, his defensive player of the year season. He started off the season taking on Jerry Rice. Obviously that wasn't an easy task, but the 78 yards and 2 touchdowns that Rice gave up were pretty excessive, especially when the defender is supposed to be the best in the league. Henry Ellard posted a 127 yard game in the second week of the season. Andre Reed pulled off 72 yards later in the season with Woodson on him. Shannon Sharpe was held scoreless when he took on Rod Woodson but he advanced the ball 80 yards on 4 receptions. He held Eric Metcalf to just 18 yards in an absolutely dominating performance and held Webster Slaughter (what a football name) to 38 yards a few weeks later. Ben Coates was essentially shut down when he faced Woodson in week 14, but he did pull off a touchdown reception in his 33 yard game. Like Blount, Woodson had a very solid season. His interception numbers were high, but in terms of being a "shut-down corner", Woodson wasn't as good as Darrelle Revis.

Lastly, we will look at Dick Lane. Because of the lack of statistics from his time in the league (the 50's), it was extremely difficult to find much legitimate information on the cornerback. He was supposedly the most dominant force in the league for some time, intercepting 14 passes as a rookie during a time where seasons were just 12 games long. He is a 6 time All Pro recipient as well as 4 time Second-Team All Pro selection and a 7 time Pro Bowl selection. He picked off 68 passes in 13 NFL seasons. He is widely known as the greatest defensive back ever to play and one of the best players in general in the history of the sport. I can't make an actual comparison to Darrelle Revis, and I can't even offer an opinion because of how poorly documented his career was. I don't know too many people who were witnesses to Lane's success either, especially because football wasn't popular enough during his time for anyone to recall.

Darrelle Revis has most certainly had the best season of any cornerback within the modern statistics era. From what I've read about Dick Lane, he probably topped Revis' All Pro year multiple times. Why Revis didn't win defensive player of the year award this past season, I'll never know. Obviously the journalists and writers who are chosen to vote for the award read way too much into statistics such as interceptions and forget about the fact that quarterbacks will avoid Revis at all costs (making it highly unlikely that he'll lead the league in interceptions for any given season). On the other hand, if they took the time to recognize that he is the only cornerback in the league right now that can simply be put on the top receiver and guarantee that he will essentially immobilize his opponent, he would've won the award. That chart earlier in this article is proof that something legendary happened on the field last season, and somehow Charles Woodson will be in the record books as having a better season. Where's the fairness in that?

I couldn't read past the first couple of sentences due to the typos, spelling and grammatical errors.

Does Bleacher Report proofread anything?

the errors kept you from understanding what was being stated? or are you just one of those people think forums is English class? :-)

C'mon sun Type shyte iz dat 2 b duing cuzo? My goodnez lmao.

That's a bit of revisionist history. Mostly the problem was you were failing to understand why that wouldn't be enough to win him a MVP award.

No....I said that he should atleast be considered given that it was the best performance in the history of the CB position and history has shown that the award is not exclusive to offensive performances. I didnt say that he should just win it. I also said that it shouldnt even be a contest of him winning DPOTY.

You're right on the revisionist history part, anyway, read the article and enjoy.

the errors kept you from understanding what was being stated? or are you just one of those people think forums is English class? :-)

C'mon sun Type shyte iz dat 2 b duing cuzo? My goodnez lmao.

I'm not expecting perfection, just basic readability:

I'll give you a few seconds to let that sink in. That isn't just an impressive season, that is probaby the best season that any cornerback has ever bad. Maybe even the most dominant performance football player ever. Remember 4,806 yard, 50 TD season in 2007? I'm sure you do.

Really?

No....I said that he should atleast be considered given that it was the best performance in the history of the CB position and history has shown that the award is not exclusive to offensive performances.

Right. And it was argued as to why that wouldn't happen, and it didn't happen. Meaning you were wrong then and you're still wrong now, making this one of the worst attempts at a told-ya-so I've ever seen.

Right. And it was argued as to why that wouldn't happen, and it didn't happen. Meaning you were wrong then and you're still wrong now, making this one of the worst attempts at a told-ya-so I've ever seen.

Well, obviously I did tell you so and just like the NFL got it wrong with the DPOTY I say that they got it wrong by not showing respect to the greatest defensive performance by a defensive back in history of the game. I'm wrong because I said something that "Should" happen, not "Will" happen. lol. Its an opinion based on some legitimate cred but you love to bite the bit when I speak.

The NFL being wrong doesnt make me wrong. Cuz if that was the fact then you would also agree that Revis didnt deserve DPOTY, yet he lost to a CB who DIDNT have the best CB season in the history of the NFL.

"If Revis doesnt win DPOTY then somethings wrong with the system" - Rex Ryan.

F'ing Clown. Why do I even respond to you? Thats the only thing that I'm ever wrong about.

I was the 1st to say it last year, I was laughed at by Jet fans at that. Rex said it, he was regarded as knowing what he was talking about. Now the media is catching on.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/398153-darrelle-revis-a-comparison-to-the-nfls-best-ever-cornerbacks

Just to clarify the Bleacher Report does NOT qualify as the media. That's just some random douche writing that article. It's no different than anything you or I write on this very board.

Bleacher Report blows. I'd take this more seriously if it were an article from another source.

Whats your opinion on the matter? What do you think about Revis and his performance last year?

You dont write articles for websites but I think that you're competent enough to have an opinion that others can see the sense in.

This isnt a source, this is an opinion.

Just to clarify the Bleacher Report does NOT qualify as the media. That's just some random douche writing that article. It's no different than anything you or I write on this very board.

I dont know about you, but im not a douche. Anyway, what do you think about the article?

I dont know about you, but im not a douche. Anyway, what do you think about the article?

Dude I met you and I am sorry to be the one telling you this but you are totally a douche.

:-P

Funny, I understood it perfectly. I knew exactly what he was talking about and it didnt slow my reading down at all.

To each his/her own though.

Not for nothin' but I write for this site and I can tell you that it takes me all of about 30 seconds to run a spelling and grammar check on MS Word before I submit a column to Max.

Four mistakes in the first three sentences is ridiculous. Whoever wrote the article needs to check his own work and whoever is publishing the article needs to clean it up if they want their site to be taken seriously.

Sorry, but good writing includes proper spelling and correct grammar. It does detract from my enjoyment to have to put up with mistakes that are not only easy to fix, most of which should be avoided by simply having a fourth grade education.

Not for nothin' but I write for this site and I can tell you that it takes me all of about 30 seconds to run a spelling and grammar check on MS Word before I submit a column to Max.

Four mistakes in the first three sentences is ridiculous. Whoever wrote the article needs to check his own work and whoever is publishing the article needs to clean it up if they want their site to be taken seriously.

Sorry, but good writing includes proper spelling and correct grammar. It does detract from my enjoyment to have to put up with mistakes that are not only easy to fix, most of which should be avoided by simply having a fourth grade education.

Again, to each his own. Life is too fun for me to be that anal. Obviously autofix wasnt used so the article isnt worth reading for you. not a problem. I know with my misspelling and grammer issuez you probably dont get through most of my post. Maybe Max should think about an auto fix for the posting area...not that I would use it, but for the people who care to use it.

6a00e5513d181b88340133ef210684970b-800wi

no matter how you slice it, or who wrote the article, that is pretty damn impressive !!!!

Thank you Larz. Thats all I was really looking for. The season needs to hurry up and start, too many people taking things seriously around here...even me most of the time. F'ing hate the off season.

He averaged 0.2 Td's a game. Thats just a stupid stat right there. Insane.

I couldn't read past the first couple of sentences due to the typos, spelling and grammatical errors.

Does Bleacher Report proofread anything?

yea I saw it was from TBR and totally disregarded it too. That site along with PFT's comments sections are virtually unreadable anymore

I truly believe Revis has what it takes to be the best CB ever. However, just to be a pain in the a$$, the best season I ever saw played by a CB, was Miller Farr of the Houston Oilers in 1967. In a 14 game season, he intercepted 10 balls, returned 3 of them for TDs and gave up only 1 TD all season. To a guy named Lance Alworth. Farr was a good player during his career, but for that one season, he was virtually unbeatable.

I truly believe Revis has what it takes to be the best CB ever. However, just to be a pain in the a$$, the best season I ever saw played by a CB, was Miller Farr of the Houston Oilers in 1967. In a 14 game season, he intercepted 10 balls, returned 3 of them for TDs and gave up only 1 TD all season. To a guy named Lance Alworth. Farr was a good player during his career, but for that one season, he was virtually unbeatable.

Much different game in 67. Revis goes up against an Alworth every week.

Yes, the fact that you think a YouTube video disproves the most fundamental and important law of thermodynamics backs up that statement.

Were those magic grits?

Not being anal about grammer & misspellings on a forum equates to my opinion about water as fuel in a completely different thread....yeeeeah. You just wanted to jump in on the fun. I understand, I've always been a loner with my thoughts.

I never said that a video disproved an important law. You took that stand. What I was showing was that maybe someone figured something out....like a progression. Maybe a clearer understanding on how to manipulate that law. Thats what us humans and our minds can do very well.

Anti Gravity vehicles defies a law as well doesnt it? How about this? This thread has nothing to do with my theory of pregressing the law of thermodynamics....nor gravity, nor the gentlemens car.

Why dont you just comment on the article above? It does get tiring arguing with you guys about something that is obvious opinion...especially when its througout the forum into different threads. You have the right to believe whatever you want, but it seems that for a looney toon like myself I surely can ruffle some feathers for my alleged stupid videos, remarks, opinions, thoughts, facts etc. For a loner im surely thought about alot. I guess im not alone then lol.

If you need me to say it, then here you go...."You're right". Okay? Doesnt bother me none. People who doubt others never provided a thing for humanity anyway. In the long run people like that and who laugh at beanstalks are just wasting their time and more importantly their potential. This is actually popular in the world today so I do understand why I seem like a moron most of the time. I just know better and im not afraid to say whats not popular....more importantly, im not afraid to be wrong...it helps clear the path to whats right, though the popular thing to do is to rub it in the face of a person instead of assisting one another. Thats wack to me.

You guys dont impress me at all, but my thoughts of you guys would never have me doubt you guys....everyone can change.

I'd love to keep this topic in its proper thread though, could you go over there with it? And if not, then fine, I'll put you on ignore and it'll fix the problem. Max is a damn genius.

DMay, school a youngters like myself lol. I never even heard of Miller Farr. Im an 80's baby sir lol.

I do think that Revis has the ability to go down as the best to ever do it as well. his first 2 seasons in the league were pretty impressive as well but what he did last year against elite WR's some of the best QB's in the game in what it looked like as week after week, in the 30 years of my existence I've never seen in my life by a CB.

That was Reggie Miller status right there.

Regardless of the point, you do realize that this is the media of which you speak?

br_crop_257x257.jpg?1267588117

A guy yet to go through puberty is who you're going to differ to on football history?

I dont feel like it today, I've had a great day today so you'll just be the first on my ignore list. I wont miss anything informative or logical. Speaking of puberty, atleast he's in his stage of growing a "set".

EDIT: Damn, you're a MOD cant ignore you. Max should seriously change that.

Regardless of the point, you do realize that this is the media of which you speak?

br_crop_257x257.jpg?1267588117

A guy yet to go through puberty is who you're going to differ to on football history?

This is my favorite - ignore substance, attack experience.

I dont feel like it today, I've had a great day today so you'll just be the first on my ignore list. I wont miss anything informative or logical. Speaking of puberty, atleast he's in his stage of growing a "set".

EDIT: Damn, you're a MOD cant ignore you. Max should seriously change that.

oooooooooooooooh, ey, you don't have balls.

Sick burn dude.

This is my favorite - ignore substance, attack experience.

Never said anything about the point, did I?

I said if you're going to claim 'I'm right', because 'the media said so', you should probably use the actual media, and not a 15 year old boy.

Swing and a miss, counselor.

Archived