PSL Price Reductions

jaspegs

No I did read it, it was a very good post. Especially coming from you, just kidding. :winking0001:

Seriously I understand that. I totally get it, I really do. I am referring to the crowd that says people who don't buy PSLs aren't real fans or they are missing out on a great financial opportunity. Those are the ones that I was asking the value statement.

The Jets had a direct line with what you described. There was definitely a strong connection. If they didn't miss the mark on my seats originally I would have done it myself.

It would be a great financial opportunity for a broker with no emotions connected to the team who bought in early and got row 1-5 seats.

For you, now it would be a terrible opportunity to buy some middle of the row far back seats. Still a great idea though because you love the team.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be a great financial opportunity for a broker with no emotions connected to the team who bought in early and got row 1-5 seats.

For you, now it would be a terrible opportunity to buy some middle of the row far back seats. Still a great idea though because you love the team.

Awesome. Great response btw. The thing is that broker would lose money on it. So it would be a TERRIBLE financial decision.

I will take your advice on the 2nd part though. Thanks for telling me that it is a bad move for me. I was on the fence but you have convinced me to not buy.

I'm just wondering if some of the posts in this thread are intended to convince other people... or to convince themselves.

Is this post something that you are wondering or are you already pretty sure which one it is?

If I had more time on my hands we could have had the next official debates on this... lol

No worries, I understand you are busy. Probably working Overtime so you can make that next investment payment.

I will just debate this without you. You have a better chance that way. :winking0001:

No worries, I understand you are busy. Probably working Overtime so you can make that next investment payment.

I will just debate this without you. You have a better chance that way. :winking0001:

You are running out of time to upgrade the board before the season, you might want to get on top of it because without PSLs clearly you will be watching the games from home. :lol:

You are running out of time to upgrade the board before the season, you might want to get on top of it because without PSLs clearly you will be watching the games from home. :lol:

I plan on:

1. Going to the games this year
  2. Not paying a PSL
  3. Not sitting in the upper deck

I don't mean to get involved with the back and forth bickering but why is there so much talk about this issue. Isn't this as simple as if you don't like PSL's don't buy them, if you don't see anything wrong with them go ahead and join the PSL Jets club! Why so much back and forth talk! If one man can justify spending $60,000 on a BMW but another thinks it's a waste of money to spend that much on a car that will only last you x amount of years. I don't think many people would want to see these two go back and forth on that matter. I for one will never tell somebody why they should buy a PSL! It's not for me to sell somebody on the idea. If you don't like them, don't buy them, another great thing about living in the USA, we all have choices! :D

I don't mean to get involved with the back and forth bickering but why is there so much talk about this issue. Isn't this as simple as if you don't like PSL's don't buy them, if you don't see anything wrong with them go ahead and join the PSL Jets club! Why so much back and forth talk! If one man can justify spending $60,000 on a BMW but another thinks it's a waste of money to spend that much on a car that will only last you x amount of years. I don't think many people would want to see these two go back and forth on that matter. I for one will never tell somebody why they should buy a PSL! It's not for me to sell somebody on the idea. If you don't like them, don't buy them, another great thing about living in the USA, we all have choices! :D

We all do have choices, good post.

A comment was made earlier saying that many "real fans" would be at home. That set a lot of this off. A lot of the back and forth is just ecurb ball busting. Everyone has a choice and at the end of the day we are all Jets fans. Also, it is a LONG off-season. :-P

Thanks for signing up.

ECURB: Question for you. Have you thought about the fact that the Jets can raise ticket prices whenever they want?

Are your tickets $120 this season (I don't know the prices)? They could easily be $130-$140 in 2011. Will you pay those prices? Will you pay $200 a ticket in 2016?

I have no problem with people purchasing PSL's. I have a problem with people telling me that PSL's are a great investment.

ECURB: Question for you. Have you thought about the fact that the Jets can raise ticket prices whenever they want?

Are your tickets $120 this season (I don't know the prices)? They could easily be $130-$140 in 2011. Will you pay those prices? Will you pay $200 a ticket in 2016?

I have no problem with people purchasing PSL's. I have a problem with people telling me that PSL's are a great investment.

there will be one certainty like death and taxes -the price of going to Jets games will continue to rise in the future.

It's a passionate issue because if we were to make your analogy a little more appropriate, many of us were BMW owners for years. We were happy with our cars, and didn't want new ones.

Then, BMW tells us we can all get new cars, but the cost, only one year later, and for some upgrades we don't have much use for, is going to be nearly double.

Needless to say, a lot of BMW owners are going to become a bit disenfranchised.

Really, really, really good point.

The Jets have a good year but fall short of the Super Bowl. Maybe they lose in the Super Bowl but they keep the roster loaded for 2011. Everyone is feeling good about the Jets chances.

I wonder what they would do to ticket prices? Guys like ecurb should be happy about guys like me. Keeping demand in check.

Great first post.

That

the ticket price increase is what gets me. If it was a garunteed fixed ticket price for say 5 years i would feel better about that. Right now ill pay $120 but someone else is paying the PSL. With my increasing debt due to college im not sure how long ill be able to keep my seat if the prices go up.

but like its been said, its all a personal choice. If you want the PSLs your gonna get them and if not you wont.

It's a passionate issue because if we were to make your analogy a little more appropriate, many of us were BMW owners for years. We were happy with our cars, and didn't want new ones.

Then, BMW tells us we can all get new cars, but the cost, only one year later, and for some upgrades we don't have much use for, is going to be nearly double.

Needless to say, a lot of BMW owners are going to become a bit disenfranchised.

I can defiantly understand where you and all the long time STH's are coming from in regards to this PSL issue. It's a tough situation, you have long timers upset at Woody and the Jets and then you have new comers happy to have the chance to buy into this PSL situation. The old timers say no and if anything go to the UD and the new STH's pick the better location while the old timers hold their ground. Leave one group happy while the other group is irate and disappointed. And to make matters worse we have fans going against fans over this PSL thing while the man in charge (Woody) could care less about both groups. I think we all can laugh about it now! But I really do wonder what Mr. Johnson really thinks about his fans both long timers and newbie's! I guess we will never know lol!

Don't listen to Ecurb, if everybody held out the PSL's would be free/gone! :P

I've got to back Ecurb on this one:

1. Some PSL's may have gone down in price, they are not going away - there's an NFL loan that requires this TAX FREE investment in order to pay it back
  2. If you think that by holding out the 60,000 PSL's would be free, I have some swamp land near the new stadium to sell you as prime Superbowl party land
  3. If there wasn't a PSL, the individual game day prices for the upper tier endzones would go up from $95.00 per game to $370.00 - Just to pay off the NFL loan

Keep dreaming & the prices will return back to the days of Leon Hess - $20.00 per game & no pre-season to pay for - "and If I had 4-wheels, I'd be a wagon!"

I expect it to be more expensive, just as I expect my groceries, gas, Cable, Internet, Car, Phone bill, etc, etc etc to be more expensive.

You know someone who bought tickets in 2002 payed more in 2009 right?

I expect it to be more expensive, just as I expect my groceries, gas, Cable, Internet, Car, Phone bill, etc, etc etc to be more expensive.

Wait until your seat prices go up after a 4 and 12 season.

PSL is like a diamond engagement ring. doesn't matter if the cost goes up or down because it's pretty unlikely you're ever going to sell it. even if you get divorced your wife keeps the ring anyway so you lose. :Nuts:

Someone who bought a home in 02 is paying substantially less right now. Lexus wants to lease me a replacement car for 15% less than I paid in August 07. I expect with over production and high unemployment that many things will be going down in price.

Those who are captive with PSL's are likely not to see that happen and if they bought PSL's at a substantial reduction it may be in the Jets best interest to force some of them out with by overly inflating the price of their best seats at some point when the economy can support it.

It's a tricky situation because the Jets had a finance scheme in place that called for a certain amount of revenue generated by PSL's. They are now forced to discount that heavily because of the economic environment. I suspect at some point they are going to try and make this shortfall up. That could be a squeeze well beyond normal inflation?

On the other hand a cheap PSL coupled with relatively cheap seats today because of weak demand may be worth eating in a couple of years?

• 2 weeks later...
My rep called my 17 times over the weekend. 17 times. WOW.

Not really but camp is still a few weeks away. So I was hoping we could kick this one around a bit more. :shutit:

Sounds like hes interested in more than selling you a psl and some tickets---:shutit:

Sounds like hes interested in more than selling you a psl and some tickets---:shutit:

Actually now it gets really interesting. The 5k, LL EZ corners, 20K jets visitors side are examples of sections that never had a price cut that were never fully sold out. Both are priced at 100% more than across the aisle. Will secondary buyer give you 100% more to be across an aisle? What about remaining UD seats, when do they release them? The moment they do all $2,500 value shopping PSL buyers will stop. Can the Jets eat the two pre-season games before releasing UD tickets? Most likely I would give them as freebies to potential PSL buyers and do a tour at those games. Either way opening night of regular season PSL sales as we know it are dead. The two best games are the first week of season. Jets would have to give people the last few games for free to get them to buy a full price PSL once the Ravens and Pats game have been played in September. Unsold PSLs in season two are more interesting, the allure of new stadium is gone. What will sell them is if Jets win one or two play-off games. That can't be controlled. Plus with a 30 year stadium life don't PSLs depreciate 3% a year? Remember, you do not buy a PSL you lease a PSL, we all know you would never pay the full lease price on a car once it has been driven for a few months.

If the Jets have a great team for next few seasons and people pay serious equity into the PSLs all is forgiven and the whole process is a great success. If Jets stink to high heavens this season the no payment till 11-2011 crowed might be defaulting at a subprime rate of speed.

Archived