UGH... I need a break... So what do we pay Mangold?

GREENBEAN

If i hear anything else about Revis other than he just signed a contract I just might puke. This is being so blown up right now. It's just a negotiation. That's all it is.

So to change pace a bit... what is Mangold looking for? Does anyone have an idea? Is he asking to be the highest paid C in the league?

If i hear anything else about Revis other than he just signed a contract I just might puke. This is being so blown up right now. It's just a negotiation. That's all it is.

So to change pace a bit... what is Mangold looking for? Does anyone have an idea? Is he asking to be the highest paid C in the league?

Bean, one headache is bad enough. He's probably going to want what Revis wants...to be the highest paid player at his position.

honestly... it would probably take Evans type money to get it done

he's a 1st team all pro, arguably the best interior lineman in the league... and he's got his best years in front of him

I can say this... as a draft guy... there hasn't been a Nick Mangold type of prospect at his center position since... Nick Mangold. Every year i go to Mobile looking for an OL who plays like Mangold... every year there's no one even close.

Can we afford to pay these guys and make them the highest paid players in the league at their positions? This is madness.

leaving the fact that there is no salary cap aside, at one point, in a capped scheme, Woody could afford to pay Pace, Scott, Faneca and Favre all 8 figure deals. Faneca was the highest paid OL in the league at the time.

So the answer is yes they can afford alot... will they do it is another question. Tanny does what Woody tells him to do. Right now they are operating under a stark budget and haven't made a single move all offseason that cost the team more money.

I think WJ is cash poor. it's the only explanation that makes sense. Other teams pay the 1st team all pros that they drafted.

we have 2 of the top players at their positions in the NFL. this isn't all that crazy. question is would we rather try to get #2-5 at the position, pay 10-30% less, and spread some money to other positions.

honestly... it would probably take Evans type money to get it done

he's a 1st team all pro, arguably the best interior lineman in the league... and he's got his best years in front of him

I can say this... as a draft guy... there hasn't been a Nick Mangold type of prospect at his center position since... Nick Mangold. Every year i go to Mobile looking for an OL who plays like Mangold... every year there's no one even close.

All true. Except for the part about his being the best interior lineman in the league being arguable, anyway. The problem is that players like Mangold just aren't worth what they cost, just like Harris isn't worth whatever he's going to get. Kalil and Pollak and Mack and Pouncey aren't as good as Mangold, but guys like that are reliably available year after year, and every single one of them on a rookie deal is better for any team than Mangold for second-contract money.

leaving the fact that there is no salary cap aside, at one point, in a capped scheme, Woody could afford to pay Pace, Scott, Faneca and Favre all 8 figure deals. Faneca was the highest paid OL in the league at the time.

So the answer is yes they can afford alot... will they do it is another question. Tanny does what Woody tells him to do. Right now they are operating under a stark budget and haven't made a single move all offseason that cost the team more money.

I think WJ is cash poor. it's the only explanation that makes sense. Other teams pay the 1st team all pros that they drafted.

You can afford a lot. LOL! So, you think you can pay make several players the top paid at their position and be able to field a competitive team? You better hope all your draft picks pan out because that is a recipe for serious depth issues.

You can afford a lot. LOL! So, you think you can pay make several players the top paid at their position and be able to field a competitive team? You better hope all your draft picks pan out because that is a recipe for serious depth issues.

garb let me repeat

it wasn't too long ago the Jets signed Faneca, Woody, Pace, Scott and Favre... and that was in a capped year. they made Faneca the highest paid OL in the game.

people complain about the cap... but the cap was 128 last year. the Jets current payroll isn't above 110. The cap goes up every single season that it has existed.

there are ways to pay guys that fits under the cap. Tanny is a master of it.

In fact look at the deal he put together for VINNY T in 1998, it was an absolute cap-killer... he did it cause Parcells told him to do it... and the team wasn't any less competitive because of it.

end of the day they can afford to pay Revis, Mangold and Brick... and tag Harris. These are checks Woody isnt in a rush to write, it's got nothing to do with the cap.

Bingo. You can have a team of good players and good depth, or a handful of super stars and a bunch of scrubs. Cant have both. Tannenbaum might have the toughest job in the league for the next year or so, my head hurts just trying to figure out which guys the Jets should resign.

The career expentancy of a db in the league is alot longer then that of a center...let me say again..A LOT LONGER...Revis deserves a ton but will be playing alot longer then Mangold..Im hoping Revis understands that and accepts some type of deal like maybe 10 mill this year and escaltors for next. The likelihood that Mangold suffers a devasting injury is 10 times that of Revis...come on Darrelle, team first dude

In fact look at the deal he put together for VINNY T in 1998, it was an absolute cap-killer... he did it cause Parcells told him to do it... and the team wasn't any less competitive because of it..

They weren't? What happened when Vinny T went down? Parcells and his misuse of the cap was a disaster. That fat ****.

Sure the cap always went up, but the owners have been demanding a change in the way the revenues are calculated that might change all that. That's why 2011 is pretty much off the table right now.

Bingo. You can have a team of good players and good depth, or a handful of super stars and a bunch of scrubs. Cant have both. Tannenbaum might have the toughest job in the league for the next year or so, my head hurts just trying to figure out which guys the Jets should resign.

Not true at all. You just have to be good at scouting young players. The Colts have been paying Payton Manning for ages, have other top players (Freeny, Harrison, Wayne, Sanders, Faulk, James) and haven't had these dreaded depth issues.

You take care of the core.

Revis

Ferguson

Mangold

Harris

The guys like Cromartie, Edwards, Tomlinson are either going to get paid elsewhere if they have big years or they will stay with the Jets and the Jets number.

As Bit said the right now are still under the cap from last year.

Archived