Ths Is The Most Talented And Deepest Jets Team

SoFlaJets

I've seen in my 43 years of following them. Discuss...

I think the dolphins are a close second...:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, yes Jimmy, this group of guys (on paper at least) are the most talented bunch I've seen in a long, long time. I just wish a couple of these guys would quit barking to the press about their contracts.

I think the dolphins are a close second...:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, yes Jimmy, this group of guys (on paper at least) are the most talented bunch I've seen in a long, long time. I just wish a couple of these guys would quit barking to the press about their contracts.

there's 3 guys that need to be signed Mangold, Revis, and Harris

I think Joe Walton's teams in the mid-80's were more talented, but they unfortunately had Joe Walton as the head coach.

If Sanchez can perform the way he did down the stretch and in the playoffs last year, we could definitely be onto something, though.

I think Joe Walton's teams in the mid-80's were more talented, but they unfortunately had Joe Walton as the head coach.

If Sanchez can perform the way he did down the stretch and in the playoffs last year, we could definitely be onto something, though.

I think those teams were third behind the 68 Jets and these Jets, 98 being fourth-of course we all thought the 99 Jets were going to the SB too so ON PAPER, from what I'm seeing now...these Jets are the deepest and most talented MODERN ERA Jets (68 being a different animal really IMO)

I agree. For the 15 years that I've been following this team I havent seen a team so talented. I was speaking about this with someone and they mentioned the 99 team when Vinny went down. I think they're talking more about the "hype" of the jets going to the superbowl then the talent on the team to actually get there. I was expressing to that person that the Jets, I wouldnt care the year that you came up with has NEVER had this amount of talent in so many places on both sides of the football, Off,Def, Special teams.

This year is going to be epic!

I've been disappointed too many times over the years by High Jets expectations. opening day 1999 was just more icing on the cake. I'll believe it when I see it. everybody was going crazy when the Jets were 3-0 last year and then they took a mid season ****.

I've been disappointed too many times over the years by High Jets expectations. opening day 1999 was just more icing on the cake. I'll believe it when I see it. everybody was going crazy when the Jets were 3-0 last year and then they took a mid season ****.

yea we all know-but what I mean is on paper Jim-this team is deep and talented

No way...the o-line sucked.

Hey, remember the transition from 1982 AFC championship game to 1983? lol..

Yeah, I thought we held onto the genius! Good times!

I think those teams were third behind the 68 Jets and these Jets, 98 being fourth-of course we all thought the 99 Jets were going to the SB too so ON PAPER, from what I'm seeing now...these Jets are the deepest and most talented MODERN ERA Jets (68 being a different animal really IMO)

I'm not gonna argue it, it's two very different teams (mid-80's and now). Those teams had the Sack Exchange and a ton of fire-power on offense. Without Tuna at HC of the NYJ, I don't think the '99 team is even in the discussion.

I love our current coaching staff. They could put this team over the top.

I'm not gonna argue it, it's two very different teams (mid-80's and now). Those teams had the Sack Exchange and a ton of fire-power on offense. Without Tuna at HC of the NYJ, I don't think the '99 team is even in the discussion.

yup and I remember that summer leading up to the 99 season like it was yesterday slats. I would be in bookstores reading any and everything I could find on the magazine shelfs about the upcoming season and it was ALL about Parcells. THIS Jets team is about the talent first and Rex Ryan second

This.

I refuse to get caught in the hype, I've been let down way to many times. I'll follow the "I'll believe it when I see it" mantra also. I think this team has the most expectations and hype than any other Jets team though.

What happened in 82-83? Pardon my lack of knowledge. I was only 2 years old at the time :-)

What happened in 82-83? Pardon my lack of knowledge. I was only 2 years old at the time :-)

Walt Michaels was head coach, and he had a melt down after the Mud Bowl in Miami. There was a lot of talk that he had alcohol issues, and found himself black-balled out of the NFL.

Joe Walton was his super-genius offensive coordinator, and the Jets were going to be absolutastic once he was promoted to head coach. Despite a ton of talent, it never happened.

3 words: The Mud Bowl AKA the last time SFJ EVER made OR had chili for a Jets game

Don Shula must be real proud for not having the field covered the night before that torrential rain storm. Karma man...Marino got screwed over in the coming years because of that BS by Shula.

Don Shula must be real proud for not having the field covered the night before that torrential rain storm. Karma man...Marino got screwed over in the coming years because of that BS by Shula.

yea I'mso glad the Redskins kicked their ass in that SB...John Riggins, ex-Jet scored at 1:37 and won the game

ZbzdH7BLHgw

I wasn't around to see some of those teams in the 80s, but I think you have to say this is the most talented Jets team on paper. It's meaningless until the games are played, but its hard to dispute that claim. There's talent all over the field:

1) Scott-Harris is the best ILB duo in the NFL.

2) Holmes was a Super Bowl MVP just 2 seasons ago.

3) Greene had the 2nd most yards by a rookie in his first 2 playoff games in NFL history last year.

4) Revis had the best year a CB has ever had in the NFL in '09, and I'm not sure that's even up for debate.

5) Cromartie & Wilson are total unknowns but in terms of pure talent seem to be excellent complements to Revis, forming what could be the best trio of corners in the NFL.

6) Sanchez has the arm, mobility and work ethic to be a good to very good QB next year. All that remains to be seen is if he starts to put everything together.

7) Pace and Taylor are aging/old but more than capable pass-rushers. Considering pass-rushing is supposed to be our biggest weakness, I'll take these two guys getting after the QB.

8) Leonhard/Pool do just what you need a safety to do; hit people. Not superstars but good starters.

9) Kris Jenkins is absolutely beastly when healthy, and when he's not, Pouha has already shown he can fill in nicely.

10) Even Nick Folk, supposedly one of our weakest links, is looking good in practice now after being one of the best kickers in the NFL in 2008.

Not to mention, even without Faneca you're still talking about the best offensive line in the game. If Ducasse comes close to meeting his potential (the Jets graded him as 1st round-talent), we're ready to roll. Working between Mangold and Ferguson, the best center and a top 5 LT, helps.

I'll agree with everything you wrote 8-0 except the part about Cromartie being an unknown commodity.

I only mean by that that we don't really know if we'll get 2007 Cromartie or 2008-09 Cromartie. Odds are, with the Jets putting him in a position to perform at his best (mostly man-to-man coverage), 2007 Cromartie is more likely.

3 words: The Mud Bowl AKA the last time SFJ EVER made OR had chili for a Jets game

Walt Michaels was head coach, and he had a melt down after the Mud Bowl in Miami. There was a lot of talk that he had alcohol issues, and found himself black-balled out of the NFL.

Joe Walton was his super-genius offensive coordinator, and the Jets were going to be absolutastic once he was promoted to head coach. Despite a ton of talent, it never happened.

Thank you gentlemen.

and with this thread I mean ON PAPER of course-no games have been played and injuries and bad breaks can kill a team. I'm very concerned about the first 4 games of the season with 3 being against our division rivals and no Santonio

IMO the Jets have one of the best starting 22s in the league, but depth wise they are lacking.

I think I've addressed this to you before. I dont think you're paying attention.

Cotch, Pouha, Cummings, Westerman, Ihedigbo, Slauson, Wilson, Lowery, Devito, Clemens, Tomlinson, B. Smith, The Terminator, Clowney, Pitotua, Allison, Kia, Gholston, E. Smith, Woodhead. This is our main depth right here. Better yet I'll break it down even further.

Potential Starters in this league.

Cotch, Pouha, Ihedigbo, Wilson, Devito, Tomlinson, The Terminator, Westerman, Gholston and E. Smith

We have players who could start for maybe half the leagues teams "right now" that are on our bench. Depth isnt the problem

Problem is depth and talent = financial problems. For years this team lacked superstars.Now that we finally have them we have to figure out how to pay them all and keep them happy. Otherwise its a recipe for disaster. When does the player get over the greed aspect and put more priorities on building a winning team?

I think I've addressed this to you before. I dont think you're paying attention.

Cotch, Pouha, Cummings, Westerman, Ihedigbo, Slauson, Wilson, Lowery, Devito, Clemens, Tomlinson, B. Smith, The Terminator, Clowney, Pitotua, Allison, Kia, Gholston, E. Smith, Woodhead. This is our main depth right here. Better yet I'll break it down even further.

Cotch, Pouha, Ihedigbo, Wilson, Devito, Tomlinson, The Terminator, Westerman, Gholston and E. Smith

We have players who could start for maybe half the leagues teams "right now" that are on our bench. Depth isnt the problem

Thats your opinion, and I respect that. But I disagree. Cotch, Pouha, and Devito are good players, LT has a nice resume, Smith is a quality Sp Teamer, but the rest of those guys are not starters IMO. How many of them have started in games, or gotten significant playing time?

I like the enthusiasm, but Woodhead's not making this team and neither is Clemens. Allison, Cummings, Westerman, and Ihedigbo are all on the bubble. Kia's a longshot at best, maybe a practice squad guy.

Years of trading away draft picks has definitely thinned out the depth on this team.

Thats your opinion, and I respect that. But I disagree. Cotch, Pouha, and Devito are good players, LT has a nice resume, Smith is a quality Sp Teamer, but the rest of those guys are not starters IMO. How many of them have started in games, or gotten significant playing time?

Wilson is a 1st round draft pick CB. He would find himself as a #2 on plenty of teams right now. Cotchery is a legit #2 in this league. The reason why he's a bench player is because we have two legit #1's on our team. Pouha and Devito showed that they're solid and are playmakers on the line and how many teams do we know need a DE/DT? Eric Smith could start for the Rams, Lions, Bucs, Bengals right now. Gholston, I'll give you that just given his history, but truth be told he was out of position since he's been in the league. He has probably the best Size to strength to speed ratio on this entire team right now. Putting him back at DE I think he'll show and prove. If LT went to Kansas City and not Jones LT would be a starter. Conner is a legit FB with hands to catch out of the backfield. He would be a starter right now if it wasnt for Richardson.

Woodhead's not making this team and neither is Clemens. Allison, Cummings, Westerman, and Ihedigbo are all on the bubble.

Years of trading away draft picks has definitely thinned out the depth on this team.

Seems contradictory. I don't see how our depth is thin at all, least of all as compared to what it was prior to the years of dealing picks. Almost all of those guys would have been locks four years ago.

I like the enthusiasm, but Woodhead's not making this team and neither is Clemens. Allison, Cummings, Westerman, and Ihedigbo are all on the bubble. Kia's a longshot at best, maybe a practice squad guy.

Well, Cummings may be on the bubble becaue I hear that Reamer has been quite impressive during OTA's. Kia has already signed a deal, he's raw and will be on the practice squad, I did go a bit overboard on that one. Ihedigbo is a beast to me, he does get overly excited in coverage which that can change but in the box I'll trust him more than any other safety we have on this team (yes I heard Pool was a beast but I'd have to see in in Green and white first). Clemens will not make this team not because of his talent, but because of the experience they want to provide Sanchez. That doesnt mean that Clemens cannot start in this league. I tell you this, I'll take Clemens over Leinart anyday.

Allison has had injury problems, If he can make it through the preseason I think this kid will be more than just a practice player.

Archived