Give Mangold his contract now

AFJF

Make a point! If you care enough about winning to show up for TC you become a priority. Darelle will be taken care of eventually. Mangold came to work without $21 mil guarenteed over the next three seasons. Make him the highest paid C in the game!

Make a point! If you care enough about winning to show up for TC you become a priority. Darelle will be taken care of eventually. Mangold came to work without $21 mil guarenteed over the next three seasons. Make him the highest paid C in the game!

Revis does not have 21 mill guaranteed he lost that once he held out of camp, and it was not guaranteed anyway until he made it through this season healthy, if he blew his knee out the Jets would never buy back the 2 years for 20 mill.

Revis does not have 21 mill guaranteed he lost that once he held out of camp, and it was not guaranteed anyway until he made it through this season healthy, if he blew his knee out the Jets would never buy back the 2 years for 20 mill.

The truth is always somewhere in the middle. It will come out that the Jets were willing to give him enough guarantees to get him into camp. While they work out the long term issues.

With the CBA being what it is, this could get really ugly.

This is absolutely true.

I wonder if any of the short-term solutions included guaranteeing the last 3 years so if he gets injured badly this year he still gets an additional $21M instead of an additional $1M + whatever he can get on the open market (after the Jets don't exercise the year-5/year-6 option). This would at least take away the fear of risking the rest of his career for an additional $1M only. However overpaid anyone thinks pro athletes are, their ability is a commodity. This commodity, over time is worth a minimum amount of money in the tens of millions of dollars. Whether any of us owned any commodity worth that - be it football talent, real estate, pork bellies, or FCOJ - no one would risk it for 5% of its value.

So from this standpoint I understand Revis holding out.

On the other hand, Revis either does not understand, or does not care to understand, that those veterans - like Nnamdi - put in years before they were eligible to take a FA's my way or the highway stance. If Oakland didn't ante up they lose Aso. Revis isn't in that situation and it's made all the more complicated because of the very real potential for a lockout next year. A couple of exceptions does not a rule make, and the overwhelming majority of owners have, with their checkbooks, made the statement that they're not writing huge signing bonus checks to players who may strike and not even play in 2011. Worse still is I'm sure each contract dictates pay in calendar years, not in year x of the contract. Meaning if there is a lockout next year then a signing bonus for a 5 year extension de facto becomes the same money on a 4 year extension. So I can certainly understand the owners' perspectives here. They could get caught paying someone for an year they don't even play.

While we're obviously not privy to the details, clearly some amount of new guaranteed money is (or was) on the table because it is senseless for Tannenbaum to address the short-term problem (too low compensation for 2010) without bumping up this year's money in one form or another. But Revis - from what info we have so far - isn't hearing any of it. He wants what he wants: tear up my current contract, start paying me $16M per season, every season, starting now (and I'm sure he'll want 2-3 years of that contract, or $32-48M of it, guaranteed).

The problems for him, as I see it, are as follows:

1) the Jets brought in Cromartie and drafted Wilson so Tannenbaum/Ryan made damn sure they weren't painted into a corner where they don't have 2 starting CB's. Revis is incredible, but teams have been winning superbowls and having #1 defenses without Darrelle Revis for decades. They won't be as good but with the improvements on offense and this CB contingency plan the Jets are hardly dead before the season starts.

2) The Jets have control of him for 3 years and he's negotiating as though he's got the prerogative of hitting free agency after the season's over. No team is going to take its leverage and put it in the shredder just to be swell guys.

3) no responsible owner wants to make the best of the best players comfortable enough and set for life so much that a 2011 walkout is palatable. So that's probably why bonus money is being replaced with guaranteed money. It's not guaranteed if the player doesn't show up for work.

Also I haven't seen anywhere that the Jets outright promised to rip up Revis's contract (as Revis suggests to the media), let alone to pay him more than the ludicrous contract given to Aso. Tannenbaum chooses his words more carefully than that and something that was likely more akin to "promising" to address his outplaying his current deal gets repeated by Revis to the media as making up being promised things he was not. If Revis was more upstanding about it - like not lying about being injured in OTA's - he would have more credibility than someone who lies about things when it suits him. That wasn't a smart move for someone who is already somewhat lacking in leverage.

Whether any of us owned any commodity worth that - be it football talent, real estate, pork bellies, or FCOJ - no one would risk it for 5% of its value.

Hey, we're losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And my wife ain't gonna f... my wife ain't gonna make love to me if I got no money!

This is absolutely true.

I wonder if any of the short-term solutions included guaranteeing the last 3 years so if he gets injured badly this year he still gets an additional $21M instead of an additional $1M + whatever he can get on the open market (after the Jets don't exercise the year-5/year-6 option). This would at least take away the fear of risking the rest of his career for an additional $1M only. However overpaid anyone thinks pro athletes are, their ability is a commodity. This commodity, over time is worth a minimum amount of money in the tens of millions of dollars. Whether any of us owned any commodity worth that - be it football talent, real estate, pork bellies, or FCOJ - no one would risk it for 5% of its value.

On the other hand, Revis either does not understand, or does not care to understand, that those veterans - like Nnamdi - put in years before they were eligible to take a FA's my way or the highway stance. If Oakland didn't ante up they lose Aso. Revis isn't in that situation and it's made all the more complicated because of the very real potential for a lockout next year. A couple of exceptions does not a rule make, and the overwhelming majority of owners have, with their checkbooks, made the statement that they're not writing huge signing bonus checks to players who may strike and not even play in 2011. Worse still is I'm sure each contract dictates pay in calendar years, not in year x of the contract. Meaning if there is a lockout next year then a signing bonus for a 5 year extension de facto becomes the same money on a 4 year extension. So I can certainly understand the owners' perspectives here. They could get caught paying someone for an year they don't even play.

While we're obviously not privy to the details, clearly some amount of new guaranteed money is (or was) on the table because it is senseless for Tannenbaum to address the short-term problem (too low compensation for 2010) without bumping up this year's money in one form or another. But Revis - from what info we have so far - isn't hearing any of it. He wants what he wants: tear up my current contract, start paying me $16M per season, every season, starting now (and I'm sure he'll want 2-3 years of that contract, or $32-48M of it, guaranteed).

1) the Jets brought in Cromartie and drafted Wilson so Tannenbaum/Ryan made damn sure they weren't painted into a corner where they don't have 2 starting CB's. Revis is incredible, but teams have been winning superbowls and having #1 defenses without Darrelle Revis for decades. They won't be as good but with the improvements on offense and this CB contingency plan the Jets are hardly dead before the season starts.

2) The Jets have control of him for 3 years and he's negotiating as though he's got the prerogative of hitting free agency after the season's over. No team is going to take its leverage and put it in the shredder just to be swell guys.

3) no responsible owner wants to make the best of the best players comfortable enough and set for life so much that a 2011 walkout is palatable. So that's probably why bonus money is being replaced with guaranteed money. It's not guaranteed if the player doesn't show up for work.

Also I haven't seen anywhere that the Jets outright promised to rip up Revis's contract (as Revis suggests to the media), let alone to pay him more than the ludicrous contract given to Aso. Tannenbaum chooses his words more carefully than that and something that was likely more akin to "promising" to address his outplaying his current deal gets repeated by Revis to the media as making up being promised things he was not. If Revis was more upstanding about it - like not lying about being injured in OTA's - he would have more credibility than someone who lies about things when it suits him. That wasn't a smart move for someone who is already somewhat lacking in leverage.

The truth of the matter is no one really knows what is going on behind closed doors, all we have is speculation from the media on a few words spoken by tanny and Revis' agent that were all very bland and had no actual facts, we as Jets fans are going to have to sit back and watch this unfold like it or not, might as well just enjoy camp and hope the situation resolves itself.

Hey, we're losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And my wife ain't gonna f... my wife ain't gonna make love to me if I got no money!

I wasn't sure if anyone was going to see it. lol

I fully support this stance. Revis is looking like a waste of management's time at this point. While he's busy stomping his feet, it's time to get the agents for Mangold and Harris on the phone. The Jets don't want to let either of these guys get away, they're both on the last year of their deals, and they're handling their situations the right way. Time to reward them properly.

The only thing I can think is perhaps they are waiting on these two because instead of just being able to work out extensions like with Brick and Revis, with only a year left they want to give them brand new deals, and that's made much more difficult due to the current CBA situation.

This is absolutely true.

Great post. It just baffles me that this punk thinks he deserves to be paid like the best for one great season with nothing to show for it. Shocking actually.

And I would love if the Jets resigned Mangold and Harris, Revis sits the year out. We win the division return to the AFC Champ game and spit in Revis's face proving we dont need him to win. Would be epic!

Great post. It just baffles me that this punk thinks he deserves to be paid like the best for one great season with nothing to show for it. Shocking actually.

And I would love if the Jets resigned Mangold and Harris, Revis sits the year out. We win the division return to the AFC Champ game and spit in Revis's face proving we dont need him to win. Would be epic!

The Disney ending isnt happening without #24

Or every other year before the existence of the great Darrelle Mevis.

I'm surprised any football team has ever been able to win a single game without his presence.

LOL- Beat me to it.

I guess if Revis doesn't show we should just not play this year. I mean what's the point? I think our secondary would just crap their pants on every pass unless Revis is their.

LOL- Beat me to it.

I guess if Revis doesn't show we should just not play this year. I mean what's the point? I think our secondary would just crap their pants on every pass unless Revis is their.

How did the Saints win a Sb last year without the mighty Mevis? LOL

How did the Saints win a Sb last year without the mighty Mevis? LOL

They didnt. It was a figment of your imagination.

I've actually heard the NFL is going to take look at the legitimacy of every single SB champion because they are finding it difficult to believe its possible to be a champion without the service Darrelle Mevi$.

Jets can't tag him? I've never heard of that. Is it because of the CBA?

It was a clause in his contract. If he met certain criteria they could not franchise him. But now that the buyout is off the table(another clause) maybe the franchise tag is back on. I do not think so, since the criteria was met last year I believe.

It was a clause in his contract. If he met certain criteria they could not franchise him. But now that the buyout is off the table(another clause) maybe the franchise tag is back on. I do not think so, since the criteria was met last year I believe.

Interesting to see how this works out, hope he stays healthy.

Hey, lets make everyone the highest paid at their position.

Screw the salary cap, we just won't abide by it. I'd be on board with making Mangold the highest paid, and on board with Revis making around 12 mill per year.

Or maybe just the guys who are actually the best at their positions. JMO.

Or maybe just the guys who are actually the best at their positions. JMO.

Dynasties aren't made on paying every player a max contract. Teams like the Colts and Pats earned the right to give players less money. Brady and Peyton themselves took less for the betterment of the team.

That's what we need to do, and it all starts this year.

Archived