Chicago Tribune article about LT

Kentucky Jet

Now in New York, Tomlinson has plenty to prove

Ex-Charger says GM pushed him aside in San Diego

Tribune newspapers

1:17 p.m. CDT, August 14, 2010

CORTLAND, N.Y. — Some visuals just take getting used to. It was that way with Brett Favre in purple, or Donovan McNabb in burgundy. And it's that way with LaDainian Tomlinson in Jets green, a guy who for so long was synonymous with the Chargers.

For Tomlinson, it isn't odd at all. He says he saw his road coming to an end in San Diego at least a couple of years ago.

"I'm not going to say I wasn't happy, but I started to see my departure out of San Diego way before you guys did," he told a reporter during a break between training-camp practices. "I could sense it. I started to make a little gripe about running the ball more, and people thought I was crazy. 'Aw, LT's complaining and whining.' But that's when I started to see what was going on."

More on what Tomlinson thinks was going on in a moment. But he also conceded for the first time that he was stung by the recent comments of his former teammates, quarterback Philip Rivers and tight end Antonio Gates, who zinged him a bit in the San Diego Union-Tribune.

"I thought they were my guys," Tomlinson said. "People always say, and my family has said it to me, that you know who your real friends are when you're at your lowest point and you don't have a job or whatever. And guys, they said what they felt, whether they were taking shots at me or really just saying what they felt needed to be said."

They weren't overly critical statements by Rivers and Gates, just candid remarks from players who typically have gone out of their way to be respectful of Tomlinson and what he has accomplished.

Of not having the running back in camp, Rivers told the newspaper: "Maybe it was a little bit of relief. Maybe it's a feeling of, 'I can do a little more without wondering what he thinks.' "

Gates said: "Sometimes you would get the sense that people felt bigger than the team. Not to say it was an issue, but we know it's not an issue for sure now."

Not so long ago, no one in the league was bigger than Tomlinson. He won consecutive NFL rushing titles (2006-07) and in 2006 was named the league's most valuable player, set the single-season record with 29 rushing touchdowns and probably secured a spot in Canton.

In the last two seasons, however, Tomlinson quickly went from exceptional to expendable. He rushed for 100 yards in just two of the last 35 games (including playoffs), seemed to go down easier with first contact and lacked the familiar burst that marked the first six-plus years of his career. The team grew to rely on undersized Darren Sproles in clutch situations and left Tomlinson on the sideline, an unthinkable decision a year or two earlier.

There were injuries along the offensive line, yes, and that unit didn't play as well last season as it had in the past, but few anticipated such a sharp drop-off.

Tomlinson, 31, shrugs off the notion he might have simply hit the physical wall, the way a lot of running backs do when they reach 30. He's convinced the Chargers decided two years ago he wasn't in their plans.

"Obviously, they had to start to build that team around Philip and get the guys they needed around him," he said. "I didn't fit that. That's why I kind of found myself on the outside looking in, and looking for work after this past season."

Tomlinson felt iced by Chargers general manager A.J. Smith, saying at his charity golf tournament in the spring that he'd have a hard time retiring as a Charger if Smith is still there. He implied again this week the deterioration of that relationship paved his way out of town.

"In my mind, I knew it was starting to come to an end and eventually it would happen where I would leave," he said. "I saw it with Junior Seau, I saw it with Rodney Harrison, I saw it with Drew (Brees).

"It was a business thing. It would be hurtful if that organization didn't have a track record of doing that. But when you've seen it time and time again with guys that you've played with, and you see them leave town and you wonder why."

Although Smith declined to comment for this story, it's obvious the Chargers feel better about their ability to run the ball than they did last season, when they finished 31st in rushing. That's because they traded up from 28th to 12th in the draft to select Fresno State running back Ryan Mathews.

That sets the stage for a fascinating experiment. Mathews goes to a team that was terrible running the ball last season. Tomlinson goes to last season's No. 1 rushing team, one that sees him as a complement to feature back Shonn Greene. Will the Chargers get better running the ball? Will the Jets be as good as they were?

Is Tomlinson one of those rare backs who has something left in his 30s? Or is the suggestion he was pushed aside in San Diego just spin to explain away his decline?

Tomlinson has turned heads at Jets camp. In a scrimmage this week, he found himself matched against a linebacker on a go route down the sideline. Quarterback Mark Sanchez hit him in stride for a 70-yard touchdown.

"We've got a great back in LaDainian, he's tremendous," Jets coach Rex Ryan said. "Does he look like he's through? Absolutely not."

Tomlinson knows, though, that the final measure of success won't be a big play in camp or a heartfelt testimonial from his new coach.

"You can't talk about it, you can't disprove (critics) in that way," Tomlinson said. "You've just got to go out and perform on the field. That's the only way it can be done. That's where I am now."

Hey Rivers, who cares what you think?

Seriously, someone should tell Rivers that he's an overrated cocky doosh who never had the talent to back his mouth, and never will.

Rivers = Cutler = Palmer = CHOKE.

I think he can back up his talk pretty good but I agree he's a douche. Probably one of the most annoying looking players I've seen yet.

I think he can back up his talk pretty good but I agree he's a douche. Probably one of the most annoying looking players I've seen yet.

Yeah, I agree. He's a total a-hole and I never liked him. But as far as quarterbacking the guy is phenomenal. As good as any QB in the league. I like Sanchez and think he'll turn out really good, but I'd swap him for Rivers without thinking.

Yeah, I agree. He's a total a-hole and I never liked him. But as far as quarterbacking the guy is phenomenal. As good as any QB in the league. I like Sanchez and think he'll turn out really good, but I'd swap him for Rivers without thinking.

Keywords: "without thinking."

No way in hell would I take Rivers over Sanchez.

In fact, I'd be bummed if we had him because he'll never get a ring.

Keywords: "without thinking."

No way in hell would I take Rivers over Sanchez.

In fact, I'd be bummed if we had him because he'll never get a ring.

If he was the Jets QB last year he'd have one. If Sanchez spent his entire career with head coaches Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner he'd never win a ring either. Ditto Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, John Elway, Joe Montana...

The Jets could never get that trade to be offered to them in the first place, even if they threw in a first round pick on top of it.

There isn't a football fan in the country (who isn't a Jets homer) who would take Sanchez over Rivers.

If he was the Jets QB last year he'd have one. If Sanchez spent his entire career with head coaches Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner he'd never win a ring either. Ditto Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, John Elway, Joe Montana...

The Jets could never get that trade to be offered to them in the first place, even if they threw in a first round pick on top of it.

That's pure bowlsh!t.

There isn't a football fan in the country (who isn't a Jets homer) who would take Sanchez over Rivers.

I live in SoCal. Chargers are my second fave team. I watch them every week.

There isn't any part of Rivers I'd want on my Jets. He's a hothead, gets rattled easily and falls apart. A choker who blames everyone but himself. He doesn't walk the talk.

As far as what others think: I remember when Favre retired in Green Bay. The thread on JI instantly became a megapage monotony of homers on their knees lined up to lick Brett's sack hairs. I said, "Nah, he'll be back ... it's just a stunt. He's all about Brett Favre. An ego driven drama queen, highfalutin attention wh()re, wishy-washy gunslinging redneck ... blah blah ... a choker more than a winner, etc."

I was outnumbered a million to one, got called every hateful name in the book - by your every fan in the country. And we all know how that turned out.

Thanks, but I'll stick to my freethinking.

That's pure bowlsh!t.

I live in SoCal. Chargers are my second fave team. I watch them every week.

There isn't any part of Rivers I'd want on my Jets. He's a hothead, gets rattled easily and falls apart. A choker who blames everyone but himself. He doesn't walk the talk.

As far as what others think: I remember when Favre retired in Green Bay. The thread on JI instantly became a megapage monotony of homers on their knees lined up to lick Brett's sack hairs. I said, "Nah, he'll be back ... it's just a stunt. He's all about Brett Favre. An ego driven drama queen, highfalutin attention wh()re, wishy-washy gunslinging redneck ... blah blah ... a choker more than a winner, etc."

I was outnumbered a million to one, got called every hateful name in the book - by your every fan in the country. And we all know how that turned out.

Thanks, but I'll stick to my freethinking.

lol

What Rivers being better than Sanchez has to do with Brett Favre's retirement is a mystery.

Rivers is a better QB. He's one of the best in the league. Sanchez, last year, was one of the worst. If you watch both teams so religiously and come away with thinking Sanchez is even close to being in Rivers's class of QB's then there isn't much to debate. And living in SoCal is meaningless. This isn't like 20 years ago where fans only have access to watching their local teams.

Put Sanchez on a team with zero running game and Martyball followed by Norv Turner for his whole career and see how many superbowls he wins.

You are probably the only person in the USA who thinks Sanchez is a better QB than Rivers.

I'm down with that. I hate Rivers, but I don't think anyone has any idea just how good Sanchez will be, or even can be. He's just such an unknown quantity at this point. Rivers, meanwhile, is Marino without the 99 mph heater.

btw..

Crazy that LT's on this team. I can remember back at JI threads about him as maybe ending up the best ever with a few more years (that never happenned). Seems like just yesterday this guy was a premier player in this league and now he's an after thought

btw..

Crazy that LT's on this team. I can remember back at JI threads about him as maybe ending up the best ever with a few more years (that never happenned). Seems like just yesterday this guy was a premier player in this league and now he's an after thought

I can't really comment on that as I wasn't there. Rivers is still a better QB than Sanchez.

btw..

Agree, on LT. It's scary but that's the life of an NFL Running back.

As for Sanchez, you're 100% dead on BUT I'm hoping that's not the case after this season. Youth is what the NFL is always looking for so although there is no chance of Sanchez making up the difference in quality this season, he can get close enough where I believe the 5 year difference in age would sway NFL owner towards him. He's accomplised more than I think you're giving him credit for, as good as the defense was, as a QB you can't trip and fall into an AFC Championship game. Rivers, on the other hand, didn't play his first two years in the league.

As unproven as he is, I love what I've seen from Sanchez so far. I still go back and read:

His first play in pre-season - Deep completion

His first game in the regular season - Plays very well

His first game in the playoffs - Plays very well

I know some people think he regressed, but I just have a very good feeling about him. The attitude is there, the charisma is there, he sure as hell wont get overwhelmed by the NY Media, he seems to embrace it. In pressure situations, especially in the post-season, I really like what I've seen.

Agree, on LT. It's scary but that's the life of an NFL Running back.

As for Sanchez, you're 100% dead on BUT I'm hoping that's not the case after this season. Youth is what the NFL is always looking for so although there is no chance of Sanchez making up the difference in quality this season, he can get close enough where I believe the 5 year difference in age would sway NFL owner towards him. He's accomplised more than I think you're giving him credit for, as good as the defense was, as a QB you can't trip and fall into an AFC Championship game. Rivers, on the other hand, didn't play his first two years in the league.

As unproven as he is, I love what I've seen from Sanchez so far. I still go back and read:

His first play in pre-season - Deep completion

His first game in the regular season - Plays very well

His first game in the playoffs - Plays very well

I know some people think he regressed, but I just have a very good feeling about him. The attitude is there, the charisma is there, he sure as hell wont get overwhelmed by the NY Media, he seems to embrace it. In pressure situations, especially in the post-season, I really like what I've seen.

Did you watch the Cinn game? The Cinn defense basically ignored the passing game. Sanchez was awful last year, and only got to the championship because of the colts laying down and the run game/defense.

That being said, I do agree that there was a lot to like about Sanchez, but come on, Rivers is a top 5 QB easy and has been to 2 divisional rounds and 2 Championship games in 4 years as a starter.

Did you watch the Cinn game? The Cinn defense basically ignored the passing game. Sanchez was awful last year, and only got to the championship because of the colts laying down and the run game/defense.

That being said, I do agree that there was a lot to like about Sanchez, but come on, Rivers is a top 5 QB easy and has been to 2 divisional rounds and 2 Championship games in 4 years as a starter.

I did watch the Bengals game and it's things like this where I think Jet fans sell him short. Say what you want but he made some nice throws (The Edwards drop, ugh), I don't care how open the WR's are, it's still a QB playing his first NFL playoff game. You say the defense was annoying the passing game, I still think our downfall in the playoffs was the fact that Schotty didn't exploit play action nearly enough. I swear that Edwards play was open everytime.

I know, the gap is HUGE between Sanchez and Rivers, like you and Sperm said, right now it's not even a question. I'm HOPING (not expecting) that this time next year that issue would be up for debate because right now it's not. He (Rivers) could be a top 5 QB, even win a SB, but if Sanchez had a good year (say 20 TD, 11 INT) I bet many owners would think twice about the Rivers selection. It's an accomplishment vs potential thing and in the NFL unless it's HOF type accomplishment potential will prove the ultimate value. You only have to look at the contracts dished out to rookies.

So now high school students on JI represent the mainstream of football thought?

Their opinions were consistent with the mainstream media, internet, tv, radio, and papers.

BTW, you're the one making asinine statements such as "there isn't a football fan in the country..."

That would include the 1000's on JI, wouldn't it?

I know, the gap is HUGE between Sanchez and Rivers, like you and Sperm said, right now it's not even a question. I'm HOPING (not expecting) that this time next year that issue would be up for debate because right now it's not. He (Rivers) could be a top 5 QB, even win a SB, but if Sanchez had a good year (say 20 TD, 11 INT) I bet many owners would think twice about the Rivers selection. It's an accomplishment vs potential thing and in the NFL unless it's HOF type accomplishment potential will prove the ultimate value. You only have to look at the contracts dished out to rookies.

that's fair. And i hope so too

Their opinions were consistent with the mainstream media, internet, tv, radio, and papers.

BTW, you're the one making asinine statements such as "there isn't a football fan in the country..."

That would include the 1000's on JI, wouldn't it?

You think that there are thousands on JI who would, right now, pass up on an even-swap Sanchez for Rivers?

You think that there are thousands on JI who would, right now, pass up on an even-swap Sanchez for Rivers?

Maybe, I hope so, but where did I say that?

I gave you an example of how the widespread opinion (Favre case) was wrong after you used it to support your opinion.

Wouldn't be surprised if you were among the JI homers that day.

Maybe, I hope so, but where did I say that?

I gave you an example of how the widespread opinion (Favre case) was wrong after you used it to support your opinion.

Wouldn't be surprised if you were among the JI homers that day.

lol you're killing me, man.

High school kids, on another site I haven't posted on in 5 years, being right or wrong about Favre means Sanchez is a better QB than Rivers now?

Further, it's your assumption that I'm a Jets homer now? Here's the news flash: I think Sanchez will be good. Hopefully this year. In 2009, though, he was mostly brutal. 20 picks and 11 fumbles (or whatever it was) in 15 games. Lord only knows how much worse he would have been without some crazy run-blocking paving the way to the league's #1 rush offense.

Rivers is a better QB than Sanchez. If you watched every game of each last year and came away thinking otherwise, you'd probably be wiser to not brag about it.

lol you're killing me, man.

High school kids, on another site I haven't posted on in 5 years, being right or wrong about Favre means Sanchez is a better QB than Rivers now?

Further, it's your assumption that I'm a Jets homer now? Here's the news flash: I think Sanchez will be good. Hopefully this year. In 2009, though, he was mostly brutal. 20 picks and 11 fumbles (or whatever it was) in 15 games. Lord only knows how much worse he would have been without some crazy run-blocking paving the way to the league's #1 rush offense.

Rivers is a better QB than Sanchez. If you watched every game of each last year and came away thinking otherwise, you'd probably be wiser to not brag about it.

First off, learn how to follow a conversation.

Secondly, Rivers has more experience - nothing more.

Lastly, I'll stick to my own opinion, not your waffling rhetoric.

I can see Sanchez having a Steve McNair kind of career. Probably never going to lead the league in passing or TD's, but efficient enough to be a consistent winner.

McNair was a yard away fromn a Super Bowl win.

Would you guys sign up for that type of career?

And yeah, obviously minus the murder.

It's an accomplishment vs potential thing

I don't think Sanchez's upside is any better than Rivers already is.

That's not necessarily an indictment of Sanchez, but you'd literally have to think he's got the potential to be a top 2-3 QB in the league to think he has the potential to be better than Rivers. I don't.

I don't think Sanchez's upside is any better than Rivers already is.

That's not necessarily an indictment of Sanchez, but you'd literally have to think he's got the potential to be a top 2-3 QB in the league to think he has the potential to be better than Rivers. I don't.

Since when is 7-year vet Rivers a top 2-3 QB? That's news to me.

Hate to remind you, but Rivers' '09 season ended in the hands of a rookie named Sanchez.

Think about it.

I love we have key players playing for a contract (edwards, holmes, ellis, mangold) or playing with a chip on thier shoulder (LT, coles, stetson man) with something to prove to the doubters whispering that they are done

nothing better for a team than hunger

Archived