Pouting

Integrity28

So I had the chance to re-watch Hard Knocks late last night. I was drunk when it aired on Wednesday and passed out mid-show... :facepalm:

Loved all the hits by Connor, loved watching Mangold handle Kris Jenkins, and loved Cromartie's census of 3 year old kids.

Rex is a ham, no doubt about it... but he's also a helluva coach, and this episode decided to focus more on that aspect of him, thankfully.

The one thing I didn't like seeing was Sanchez sitting at the table with Cavanaugh and Schotty packing up his bag and pouting.

Cavanaugh was trying to tell him, this is your team... you make a mistake, own the mistake, but don't hang your head in shame. He was basically saying "Man up and stop pouting when you have a bad day. This is your team. For better, or for worse, your team and holding your head up despite adversity is the way to lead men. Pouting is not."

I know Sanchez is young, and will very likely outgrow the pouting... I just hope it happens soon, because he reminds me of Brady when he does it. (Now, if he played like Brady... then, I suppose, he could pout all he wants.)

So I had the chance to re-watch Hard Knocks late last night. I was drunk when it aired on Wednesday and passed out mid-show... :facepalm:

Loved all the hits by Connor, loved watching Mangold handle Kris Jenkins, and loved Cromartie's census of 3 year old kids.

Rex is a ham, no doubt about it... but he's also a helluva coach, and this episode decided to focus more on that aspect of him, thankfully.

The one thing I didn't like seeing was Sanchez sitting at the table with Cavanaugh and Schotty packing up his bag and pouting.

Cavanaugh was trying to tell him, this is your team... you make a mistake, own the mistake, but don't hang your head in shame. He was basically saying "Man up and stop pouting when you have a bad day. This is your team. For better, or for worse, your team and holding your head up despite adversity is the way to lead men. Pouting is not."

I know Sanchez is young, and will very likely outgrow the pouting... I just hope it happens soon, because he reminds me of Brady when he does it. (Now, if he played like Brady... then, I suppose, he could pout all he wants.)

But didn't Sanchez do exactly what they asked of him immediately after he threw that pick. Attitude is one of his strong suits.

Intangibles. :dohslap:

Brady, Rivers and Manning pout, maybe there's somethign to it..

And he takes responsibility for it, I like that. What did he say on last weeks episode?, this teams going to win a SB if it can find a QB. Funny, and true. Much better then listening to CHad trumpet his .500 record and talk about how he had a good game except for 1 or 2 throws..

And he takes responsibility for it, I like that. What did he say on last weeks episode?, this teams going to win a SB if it can find a QB. Funny, and true. Much better then listening to CHad trumpet his .500 record and talk about how he had a good game except for 1 or 2 throws..

It;s ok Chan, Chad is gone, it's time to let it go. We have a new QB now. His name is Mark.

But didn't Sanchez do exactly what they asked of him immediately after he threw that pick. Attitude is one of his strong suits.

Intangibles. :dohslap:

Yeah, don't get me wrong... this isn't a "sky is falling" "whoa is me" thread. I just found his pouting to be something... well, unappealing.

For instance, I am a Creative Director. If I had a designer on my staff, that presented some design work that was met with harsh criticism and their only recourse was to pout about it... I'd find myself a new designer. I just don't like the sulky attitude... on anyone.

That said, I wouldn't let the design go out if it wasn't going to be a success... so, technically... I am the quarterback, not the designer. So maybe its a bad analogy... :)

Anyway, I am bored this morning and felt like rambling about something...

Yeah, don't get me wrong... this isn't a "sky is falling" "whoa is me" thread. I just found his pouting to be something... well, unappealing.

For instance, I am a Creative Director. If I had a designer on my staff, that presented some design work that was met with harsh criticism and their only recourse was to pout about it... I'd find myself a new designer. I just don't like the sulky attitude... on anyone.

That said, I wouldn't let the design go out if it wasn't going to be a success... so, technically... I am the quarterback, not the designer. So maybe its a bad analogy... :)

Anyway, I am bored this morning and felt like rambling about something...

Sounds awful. It being a saturday and all. Creative Director huh? Are you as cool as Don Drapper?

Sounds awful. It being a saturday and all. Creative Director huh? Are you as cool as Don Drapper?

Well, I'm bored because we have appointments today to view new apartments. So the morning is pretty much a waste.

If we weren't viewing apts, we'd be out on the kayaks already. Perfect day for it.

Oh, and while I am a fan of Draper. He doesn't have sh*t on me... I rock the pitches, and do the actual work too. ;)

He's a gheyhomofagvaginaface. But hopefully he's a gheyhomofagvaginaface that is good at Quarterbacking the Football.

Remmember it is only a tv show- I do not believe every thing I see and hear on it.

Very true. HBO is catering to a large audience, so behind the advertised "reality" is a concocted storyline to create drama.

The Revis holdout might very well be delayed and drawn out just for this show.

Here's the related article in today's NYPost:

The 'Knock' against Mark Sanchez: He's no star yet

Last Updated: 5:51 AM, August 21, 2010

Posted: 4:10 AM, August 21, 2010

Comments: 1|Moreicon_print.gif Print fuotwitter_logo.pnggeorge_willis.pngGeorge Willis

Follow George on Twitter

Blog: By George

There's no question Jets head coach Rex Ryan is the star of the HBO reality show "Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the New York Jets." He's a camera hog whether he's coaching, cussing or sneaking M&Ms.

But when the series ends and NFL the season begins, the real star of the Jets can't be Ryan, it has to be quarterback Mark Sanchez. But is Sanchez ready to be all that he wants to be?

If you've watched the first two episodes of "Hard Knocks," you still don't know the answer, which why it's good the cameras will be rolling tonight when the Jets meet the Panthers in a preseason game in Charlotte, N.C.

051_mark_sanchez--300x300.jpg

GETTY IMAGES

FACE FACTS: Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez looks concerned during Monday's preseason loss to the Giants. It's just a exhibition game, but it's another important step for Sanchez, who had offseason knee surgery following an inconsistent rookie season sweetened by an appearance in the AFC Championship game. The color-coded handcuffs are supposed to come off this year, but three weeks into training camp, it's clear Sanchez still has some growing to do.

"Hard Knocks" has shown us Sanchez wants to be viewed as a leader, generally bubbles with enthusiasm and doesn't mind making fun of unsuspecting teammates. But we've also learned he has a tendency to pout when he is corrected by his coaching staff and has trouble letting go of failed plays, such as interceptions.

Thanks to HBO's cameras, we got to be a fly on the wall when quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer had a chat with Sanchez about his body language after making a mistake.

"Start challenging yourself," Cavanaugh said to Sanchez as the quarterback fiddled with something in his travel bag as if half paying attention.

You hoped Sanchez might have gotten past some of this by now, past needing backup Mark Brunell to remind him that his early interception against the Giants came in a preseason game and there was no need to brood.

Maybe it's easy to forget Sanchez is just 23 and this is just his second NFL season. He still has much to learn about being a pro and a leader.

Still, there's something special about Sanchez, and it's more than his strong arm and athleticism. Ross Greenburg, the president of HBO Sports, has been around the Jets since the beginning of the summer. He knows a budding crossover star when he sees one. And that star is not Ryan. It's Sanchez.

"He definitely has the it factor," Greenburg said. "He's got the charismatic smile and a swagger on and off the field. It's the way he walks, the way he talks, the way he acts around his teammates. I was around when he and Joe Willie [Namath] were at camp and they obviously identified with each other. It's going to be fun to see if Sanchez can blossom into this Joe Willie-like character."

Full disclosure, Greenburg is a Jets fan, who sat in the cheap seats at Shea Stadium. But he knows athletes and he knows cameras and he knows the potential for Sanchez to be one of the biggest stars in sports. Television appearances, commercials, movies, endorsements; all he needs is a Super Bowl ring.

"When you're the starting quarterback of a New York franchise that's winning, you're automatically in a certain upper level," Greenburg said. "After last year, to get to that championship game means something. The sky is the limit for him. I don't think it hurts he's 23 and single. If he starts producing, New York will be in a frenzy."

But first Sanchez has to grow into his job, and into being the leader he wants to be. He's not there yet. The camera never lies.

You know what I do see in Sanchez... is that innate ability to provide levity. I think as he gets older, we'll see that his sense of humor and charisma will find its way into the huddle... he'll stop being so hard on himself for making mistakes, and he'll start being the type of QB that points out John Candy in the stands to get the rest of the guys around him loosened up in a big game.

I certainly didn't start this to bash the kid. I think he's going to be awesome.

Its just very evident that he knows that this team is built to win, and if he doesn't make mistakes... they will win. He knows its all on him.

When do they start playing games that matter?

sanchez has started approx 30 games since high school

he practices against the best pass defense in football

he's 23

I've backed off my criticism of him from a week ago, his completion %age was up vs the vagina's, and he looked for his backs more, all good things

If I had a designer on my staff, that presented some design work that was met with harsh criticism and their only recourse was to pout about it... I'd find myself a new designer. I just don't like the sulky attitude... on anyone.

If said mope designer was one of the top 25 in the world and had sincere promise to be one of the top 5 - would you still S-can them 28? Just askin.

If said mope designer was one of the top 25 in the world and had sincere promise to be one of the top 5 - would you still S-can them 28? Just askin.

That is where the analogy breaks down... as I wrote above "That said, I wouldn't let the design go out if it wasn't going to be a success... so, technically... I am the quarterback, not the designer. So maybe its a bad analogy... :)"

Sanchez is a total enigma, imo. All we know about him is that he's not afraid of the bright lights and that he makes up for an unspectacular arm with spectacular accuracy. I don't doubt that he's mentally sound enough to compete at the position--the immaturity will pass and his knowledge of how defenses are playing will get better. What scares me more is the physical--he's a smaller guy with two knees that have already been operated on who doesn't have the best arm strength in the world to beging with. You really have to worry what will happen with Sanchez if his legs start to go and, as a result, he loses 5 MPH off his fastball while becoming a pocket passer. Scary.

Sanchez is a total enigma, imo. All we know about him is that he's not afraid of the bright lights and that he makes up for an unspectacular arm with spectacular accuracy. I don't doubt that he's mentally sound enough to compete at the position--the immaturity will pass and his knowledge of how defenses are playing will get better. What scares me more is the physical--he's a smaller guy with two knees that have already been operated on who doesn't have the best arm strength in the world to beging with. You really have to worry what will happen with Sanchez if his legs start to go and, as a result, he loses 5 MPH off his fastball while becoming a pocket passer. Scary.

While I worry about his health, I don't think his mobility is something we need to worry about even if he has relatively bad knees. He's got such good footwork and is so good on the rollout, I don't think that's a skill he'll ever lose. He'll never be forced to be a pure pocket passer in this league.

Hell, even 40-year old Brunell can move around a little back there (he just can't throw it with any strength or accuracy when he does).

Archived