Randy Moss: MERGED

SouthernJet

"Scorch" is an interesting choice of words for a 2 yrd pass at the goalline on a quick snap.

But I agree with you, Moss is playing his a$$ off for you guys and I cant really blame him if he's taking a few plays off in your offense. Its not fun to be asked to run sprint after sprint so some little white dude with an inch of your talent gets to reap the benefits of your presence.

I'll say this, the Pats would be very foolish to not resign him without a similar option (which I dont know where they will find such). He's still great and there are only 2 WR's I'd take over him currently in the NFL. Your offense will disappear without Moss...no doubt about it. Everyone will see just how pedestrian Welker really is...and Brady might actually look mortal.

Basically, I agree with everything you said in your post.

Where I do disagree, however, is the Pats resigning him. If Moss plays well this year (similar to last year's numbers), I think there will be several teams out there that would pay him substantially more than what the Pats will offer.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how you demand an answer and ignored this 3 times: Is going 1/36 in Denver and 1/16 in Carolina disappearing?

How many balls were thrown his way in those two games?

In the Denver game, I distinctly remember Brady underthrowing him twice on deep balls down the sidelines when he had 2+ steps on the defenders.

Where I do disagree, however, is the Pats resigning him. If Moss plays well this year (similar to last year's numbers), I think there will be several teams out there that would pay him substantially more than what the Pats will offer.

Agreed. The guys is still top 3 in the league IMO. Dont care what anyone says.

Still think I'd consider long and hard about resigning him if you dont have a back up option. He makes that offense tick.

How many balls were thrown his way in those two games?

In the Denver game, I distinctly remember Brady underthrowing him twice on deep balls down the sidelines when he had 2+ steps on the defenders.

Is going 1/36 in Denver and 1/16 in Carolina disappearing?

It's a yes or no answer. :blink:

Jets? They have a penchant for taking prima donna receivers.

It's not a yes or no answer.

Did the Broncos and Panthers double-team Moss the entire game opening up other receivers?

Again, how many balls were thrown his way in those two games?

He disappeared, spin it however you want but he still vanished.

More than Revis got scorched. :rl:

How mortal did Brady look with Givens, Branch and Brown? The passing attack needs a vertical threat to open up the underneath stuff - got that - but it doesn't have to be Moss - although that is awfully nice.

How mortal did Brady look with Givens, Branch and Brown? The passing attack needs a vertical threat to open up the underneath stuff - got that - but it doesn't have to be Moss - although that is awfully nice.

But it does have to be a WR that pulls the S over into double-coverage. That's what opens up the undeneath stuff.

Guess you missed this part:

Multiple sources are saying that Brady's new contract is a done deal.

I'm guessing that the source is not incarecerated. Just sayin'.

Sorry Kiddo, not according to ESPN.com...

Despite a report that a deal between Tom Brady and the New England Patriots is imminent, no contract is in place, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

The two sides have generated significant momentum, sources tell ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss, but reports of a deal are "wrong" and "inaccurate," according to Schefter.

Patriots blog

Reiss ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss covers the New England Patriots in his blog. You can send questions and comments to his mailbag.

• ESPNBoston.com

The Boston Herald, citing sources close to the negotiations, reported that the Patriots offered their franchise quarterback a three-year, $58 million contract that would kick in after this season. He is set to earn $6 million this year.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick was typically tight-lipped when asked to comment on Brady's contract status.

"I don't have anything to report on any contracts," he said.

The Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning set the contract benchmark for quarterbacks by signing a six-year, $98 million deal in 2004. If the numbers the Herald reports are in the ballpark, Brady would earn $19.3 million per season, outpacing the $16.3 million of Manning. But Manning is in the last year of his deal as well, and the Colts have vowed to make him the highest paid player in the league.

Brady is enjoying a solid training camp and preseason after passing for 4,398 yards and 28 touchdowns last season. That bounce-back year came after he injured his knee in the first game of 2008 and missed the rest of the season.

Sources: Tom Brady's Deal with New England NOT done

This does not look too good when the man who actually deals with contracts (Bill Belichick) says he doesn't have any new news over contracts -I'm just saying...

What's up necky?

Did he, or did he not, burn Revis for a TD?

It's either a yes or no answer.

burn? no. but he did get the td the td so that part can't be denied. and i was really just making a point that he did have a few games where he wasn't really a large contributor. still the man is one of the best receiver sin the league. goo dhting for the jets revis has pretty much neutralized him the last 4 meetings........quick 2 yard button pass td not withstanding

Go back and look at Brady's numbers before Moss and after Moss. This ain't rocket science.

Brady was a very, very good QB before Moss. He's been all-world since Moss joined the Pats.

This has everything with him trying to get to the top of the negotiating list now that Brady is all but done. If he did not "quit" on Matt Cassell, he's not "quitting" on Tom Brady. If he was a true turd, he'd have held out and try to force the issue. He was extended 3 years after 2007 - now he's looking for some security (he's being paid over 6 mil this year). I suppose he could always fake an injury and then say he was joking. Maybe hold out. Walk off the field. That sort of negotiating tactic seems to work for some.

That mostly works for younger guys still in their prime and still the best at their position. Moss is awesome but he is on the down slope of his career, still take him over any receiver we have minus Holmes, but it won;t be long now.

burn? no. but he did get the td the td so that part can't be denied.

Actually, I think that play was a hand signal, helmet nod between Brady and Moss only. I think when Brady saw Revis nonchalantly walking up to cover Moss, still 5 yards off him, he did a butt slap for the snap and just tossed it out to Moss. The Olinemen never moved on the snap.

Agreed. The guys is still top 3 in the league IMO. Dont care what anyone says.

Still think I'd consider long and hard about resigning him if you dont have a back up option. He makes that offense tick.

Valid, but different issue.

I agree not having Moss in 2011 will hurt the 2011 Patriots offense significantly. But not signing Moss for 2011 will not slow down Moss in 2010. In fact him playing for a contract either in NE or elsewhere will only keep him focused.

I think right now we have a little dance going on. Moss can either be overpaid in 2011 or be a Patriot in 2011, but he can't have both. Moss stated earlier in the media that he figured he would be a FA 'cause the Pats were unlikely to offer him enough to re-sign. I guess he was expecting the Pats to panic and go "oh god we better sign him now before it gets to close to him being a FA." Pats reaction was the opposite it was to just say okay, we will be moving on in 2011, no point in even bothering to negotiate if he has already made up his mind to go elsewhere. This bothers Moss. Next step is either Moss playing all out in 2010 so someone else will give him a large paycheck when he becomes a FA or Moss saying hey, I really want to be a Patriot and am not looking for you to break the bank to keep me, so make me an offer.

The division is getting tougher and Brady is getting older, Garb. Surviving with JAG's at WR worked fine in the past because the Patriots D had lots of quality veteran leadership and the league wasn't all about high-flying passing attacks like it is now.

The Pats can get by without Moss, but seeing as Belichick is not likely to be taking a WR of the future in the 1st round, who are they going to bring in to be that new deep threat if it isn't Moss?

The division is getting tougher and Brady is getting older, Garb. Surviving with JAG's at WR worked fine in the past because the Patriots D had lots of quality veteran leadership and the league wasn't all about high-flying passing attacks like it is now.

The Pats can get by without Moss, but seeing as Belichick is not likely to be taking a WR of the future in the 1st round, who are they going to bring in to be that new deep threat if it isn't Moss?

Fill from within.

They are not going to fill Moss' shoes. Tate showed he has the wheels to be a deep threat. Now, he has show he can catch.

All things being equal, in 2011 I would rather see single back with (insert over aged veteran name here), with Edelman, Welker, Hernandez and Gronk. A Colts like offense.

All things being equal, in 2011 I would rather see single back with (insert over aged veteran name here), with Edelman, Welker, Hernandez and Gronk. A Colts like offense.

That's exactly where the Pats offense is going this year. More 2 and 3 TE sets, less 5-wide, shotgun formations.

For the first time in his career, Brady will take more snaps under center than he will in the shotgun.

Pats have 2-1st and 2-2nds. Patriots could use one of those four on a WR, either in a the draft or in a trade.

Belichick has shown time and again that, regardless of how much of a surplus of draft choices he has, he's not going to go after a top-flight receiver in the draft. He had the ability to make a low-risk maneuver and take Dez Bryant, and didn't so so.

Belichick has shown time and again that, regardless of how much of a surplus of draft choices he has, he's not going to go after a top-flight receiver in the draft. He had the ability to make a low-risk maneuver and take Dez Bryant, and didn't so so.

Patriots had more of a need at CB this year than at WR. If Moss is gone that changes. Plus I didn't say the only option was to draft one....he has done pretty good using draft picks to trade for a WR (Moss, Welker)

No way in hell would BB ever draft a player with character issues like Bryant. Just not happening on a BB coached team.

Other than a policewoman putting her fat a$$ in front of his car, what character issues does Randy Moss have?

He's never happy, always complaing, like he is right now.

Oh and he takes games off, like we saw against Denver and Carolina.

Other than a policewoman putting her fat a$$ in front of his car, what character issues does Randy Moss have?

Not trying in games in Minnesota, on purpose. Fake mooning the Green Bay crowd. Getting fined 10 grand and laughing about it in front of the media. Not trying in games in Oakland, on purpose, prompting the team to ship him off to a hated AFC team for just a 4th rounder.

He's been an absolute saint in New England, but you can't possibly argue Moss has always been a model citizen. He's a malcontent who has managed to stay out of trouble with the law except for one time. If that's the minimum requirement to not have "character issues", then fine, you win the semantics battle.

No way in hell would BB ever draft a player with character issues like Bryant. Just not happening on a BB coached team.

They traded for a WR with character issues (SEE: Thread Title) and it worked out pretty well.

Oh BB will most certainly take a flyer on a guy with character issues like Bryant, Moss, TO, etc. With a fourth round draft pick and a one year prove it contract.

What he won't do is draft a guy with lots of risk in the first round, where he is locked in with a huge cap space investment with a guy he can't cut or trade for three years if the guy doesn't work out.

Go back and look at Brady's numbers before Moss and after Moss. This ain't rocket science.

Brady was a very, very good QB before Moss. He's been all-world since Moss joined the Pats.

This. With Moss, Brady is penciled in for 4k, 25+...he only did that once before Moss.

Valid, but different issue.

I agree not having Moss in 2011 will hurt the 2011 Patriots offense significantly. But not signing Moss for 2011 will not slow down Moss in 2010. In fact him playing for a contract either in NE or elsewhere will only keep him focused.

I think right now we have a little dance going on. Moss can either be overpaid in 2011 or be a Patriot in 2011, but he can't have both. Moss stated earlier in the media that he figured he would be a FA 'cause the Pats were unlikely to offer him enough to re-sign. I guess he was expecting the Pats to panic and go "oh god we better sign him now before it gets to close to him being a FA." Pats reaction was the opposite it was to just say okay, we will be moving on in 2011, no point in even bothering to negotiate if he has already made up his mind to go elsewhere. This bothers Moss. Next step is either Moss playing all out in 2010 so someone else will give him a large paycheck when he becomes a FA or Moss saying hey, I really want to be a Patriot and am not looking for you to break the bank to keep me, so make me an offer.

Oh, I'm not arguing that...its clearly what is taking place. My point is just that sometimes it doesnt pay to play hardball with a guy as important to your team as Moss. Especially if there isnt a back up plan.

Hell, the Jets technically had a back up plan with Revis and then eventually said F it, he's too important...get him a new contract.

Archived