New York Jets Statement On The Fox\Cablevision Dispute

Maxman

lol Not me, I'm with Fios. **** cablevision. Havent had a single issue since we switched 3 years ago.

Doesnt matter much anyway, Cablevision is shooting themselves in the foot here and although you may be right the public isnt smart enough to understand and theyre going to lose customers. All people know is they're missing their teams and their shows and they want them back. And you know damn well nobody is gonna feel bad about a company making a net profit of $5-8 Billion a year losing a few million dollars.

There's no doubt in my mind that Newsday and Cablevision have Crookhaven by the balls and is preventing Fios from expanding into those area's.

That is exactly what News Corp is banking on, and why they are holding Cablevision over a barrel, because they know if Cablevision caves it will set a precedent where they can screw everybody.

I don't know what's going on in Brookhaven, and I would not be surprised by anything, but are you sure it's not an FCC thing?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had Direct TV and cable here in sunny florida. I was getting a ton of break up during rain storms so I called to cancel(total threat, no way I am giving up the NFL Ticket) had Direct TV come out. I had 78% signal strength. They repositioned my dish a lil bit now at 96% strength and I havent lost my picture once. My channels do change a bit slow but I have 4 boxes all connected so I can watch something off my DVR in my bedroom. All good with direct tv. I tried to cancel before they came out to work on the dish and they gave me a ton of sh*t for free, took about $30 off my monthly bill for the next 12 months. They also offered to GIVE me red zone for free. I just took a nice discount on the NFL Ticket and now I am sitting pretty with my games every week. One thing I didnt think of having them throw in was the Mobile NFL ticket, now I have to delay going out with my kids trick or treating.

As for Cable, it is Brighthouse here in florida or Fios. Fios will only give you the red zone and I think they would offer it to you for free if you brought up the NFL ticket as your reason for not having FIOS. Hopefully some of you guys havent made the switch yet and can use this leverage. They all are dying for your business right about now, dont give it for free.

That is exactly what News Corp is banking on, and why they are holding Cablevision over a barrel, because they know if Cablevision caves it will set a precedent where they can screw everybody.

I don't know what's going on in Brookhaven, and I would not be surprised by anything, but are you sure it's not an FCC thing?

I'm sure thats exactly what theyre banking on and I guess its a smart move by them because when I saw the amount that Cablevision has been making I couldnt believe it. I was more pissed off by thinking about how much they must be overcharging for cable in general to make that kind of profit! I'm sure people are getting pissed though and if I was News Corp, right or wrong, I would honestly continue holding out. Because WORST case scenario, which would be unreal for it to last that long, there is NO WAYYYYY Cablevision doesnt cave in for Superbowl, they would lose everyone.

And with the brookhaven thing, I honestly dont know enough about it but it wouldnt surprise me one bit to find out that Newsday and Cablevision are preventing it in some way. I find it hard to believe that those few towns (Brookhaven, Westbury, Oyster Bay) still cant get Fios when its been around for close to 4 years.

I'm sure thats exactly what theyre banking on and I guess its a smart move by them because when I saw the amount that Cablevision has been making I couldnt believe it. I was more pissed off by thinking about how much they must be overcharging for cable in general to make that kind of profit! I'm sure people are getting pissed though and if I was News Corp I would honestly continue holding out because WORST case scenario, which would be unreal for it to last that long, there is NO WAYYYYY Cablevision doesnt cave in for Superbowl, they would lose everyone.

And with the brookhaven thing, I honestly dont know enough about it but it wouldnt surprise me one bit to find out that Newsday and Cablevision are preventing it in some way. I find it hard to believe that those few towns (Brookhaven, Westbury, Oyster Bay) still cant get Fios when its been around for close to 4 years.

Not as many people would switch as you think, when they call to cancel they would receive big incentives to stay, especially since you can get an antenna and miss nothing.

They may even give you one, and send someone to your house to install it, if it got that bad. They are not making $5-8 Billion a year because they are stupid. ;)

I'm sure there are major politics involved in the Brookhaven, Westbury, Oyster Bay, and I doubt Cablevision is the only one to blame.

Not as many people would switch as you think, when they call to cancel they would receive big incentives to stay, especially since you can get an antenna and miss nothing.

They may even give you one, and send someone to your house to install it, if it got that bad. They are not making $5-8 Billion a year because they are stupid. ;)

I'm sure there are major politics involved in the Brookhaven, Westbury, Oyster Bay, and I doubt Cablevision is the only one to blame.

True, I'm sure they would do something but that would be unbelievable and I dont think Cablevision would take that risk. It's never a good thing when these things go for so long though because the animosity grows.

Yeah there is definitely something up in those area's and I'm surprised the FCC hasnt stepped in. I'm sure there is a lot of local politics involved and I wouldnt put it past Cablevision/Newsday to have some under the table dealings. I blame Dolan, but thats probably because I'm a Knicks fan! haha

BTW- Dolan is the owner of the Knicks who play on which Channel? MSG.

Coincidence that Verizon doesnt have MSG in HD? I mean he's doing what any competitor would do but its unfortunate when the public gets sucked into it. And REALLY unfair if they are preventing Brookhaven from giving the public choices.

Caveat emptor re. FIOS.

If your house already wired with R6 cable (most are),Fios installers will send their fiberoptic signals through the R6 to simplify the installation.

Fiberoptic advantage is lost if they go this route.

Also, depending on the tech they send to your house it can be a very neat install or an abortion.

I dislike Dolan as much as anyone here but hope he defeats Murdoch on this one.

Caveat emptor re. FIOS.

If your house already wired with R6 cable (most are),Fios installers will send their fiberoptic signals through the R6 to simplify the installation.

Fiberoptic advantage is lost if they go this route.

Also, depending on the tech they send to your house it can be a very neat install or an abortion.

I dislike Dolan as much as anyone here but hope he defeats Murdoch on this one.

I saw what they did to a neighbors house... :o Thats what scares me and my wife having major issues with their customer service in India for the most part.

Word, I don't even think Direct TV even installs their newer much bigger dishes on roofs anymore.

Down here in SW Florida DTV installs the Slimline dish usually on the edge of the roof. (Most homes have a 2 foot overhang) They also like to be close to the garage because most houses have RG-6 "home runs" to each room beginning in the attic. They are also using the new "SWM" technology. (One wire coming into the house) If anyone is thinking about it, make sure you get the HR-24 series recorder (2 tuners, one cable) and/or the H-24 receiver. They are both HD & are a lot faster than previous models.

Down here in SW Florida DTV installs the Slimline dish usually on the edge of the roof. (Most homes have a 2 foot overhang) They also like to be close to the garage because most houses have RG-6 "home runs" to each room beginning in the attic. They are also using the new "SWM" technology. (One wire coming into the house) If anyone is thinking about it, make sure you get the HR-24 series recorder (2 tuners, one cable) and/or the H-24 receiver. They are both HD & are a lot faster than previous models.

Hey, I lived in Cape Coral a long time ago. Nice area.

The hell with the wife I called Direct TV and I have a rep calling me back tommorow, If they can gaurantee installation by Sunday for 1 we may have a deal. If not im still going to seriously consider a change. Cablevision sucks swamp a$$.

Wifey's gonna be pissed, she does not want a Mexican style home.

The newer dishes arent supposed to be effected by rain or snow. I saw a RainX product for dishes in BestBuy. Anyone with a dish please chime in.

Since they switched me to the larger dish (with the move to HD) a few years back, I think I've had maybe one outage I can remember during a pretty insane snowstorm. Might have lasted 30 minutes. Before that I would say I had a few green-outs a year. IMO the bad weather issue is pretty much resolved.

Another thing on this issue. I've had DirectTV for 15 years as well. About 3 years ago I had Fios brought in for internet and tried their TV package side-by-side to see if I liked it as much since I could save some expense by going with the triple-play. I game it a fair shake but I just didn't like the OS of the Fios box and thought it was slower to navigate than DirecTV.

But the absolute kicker for me was that despite a few screaming sessions, DirecTV's customer service is stellar compared to just about everyone else in any industry. Always english-as-a-first-language. Usually very good at resolving issues once you convince them that pushing the red button and waiting 10 minutes to reload the schedule isn't always the right answer.

Wow this is still blacked out?

I guess it might be time for Verizon after all, even though their customer service is so darned awful. Or it just might be time to cancel paid television entirely.

I haven't watched television since last Sunday, as per my usual.

Fios kills any cable or dsl Internet connection

I wouldn't switch to FIOS for speed. Comcast has a 50 mbps service. It is amazing how much they were able to send through those damn cable lines once a little competition came along.

Doesn't matter though, it is all going back to Cooper. What's old is new again.

Nokia Siemens Networks achieves 825Mbps over copper line

I officially moved from a Cablevision area to a Comcast area yesterday, so I had to return my equipment to Cablevision. I went into the office dressed in my green and white. I didn't tell them I was moving, rather that I won't tolerate Fox being off the air for the Jets game today. I caused a minor ruckus to the point where security was almost involved. After the tirade was over, other customers started chiming in, high-fiving me and so on. It was a feel-good moment for sure.

Comcast is an absolute joke. Their probably the worst from what my friends have told me. I think hey were one of the first companies vying to end net neutrality and make their customers pay for tiered service. I'm sure companies have started doing it by at least making other sites load really slow.

I have FIOS but I don't know if their internet the fastest. Every company makes that claim but theirs a website that actually tests those claims and tells you who's lying the most. And I hope I never have to call customer service ever, is rather just do the customer service through email if possible.

I officially moved from a Cablevision area to a Comcast area yesterday, so I had to return my equipment to Cablevision. I went into the office dressed in my green and white. I didn't tell them I was moving, rather that I won't tolerate Fox being off the air for the Jets game today. I caused a minor ruckus to the point where security was almost involved. After the tirade was over, other customers started chiming in, high-fiving me and so on. It was a feel-good moment for sure.

Fox is already back, you eejit.

I wouldn't switch to FIOS for speed. Comcast has a 50 mbps service. It is amazing how much they were able to send through those damn cable lines once a little competition came along.

Nokia Siemens Networks achieves 825Mbps over copper line

That comcast service is bs, you are sharing that with the rest of your neighborhood. It is just the inherent problem with cable internet. Fios is a direct fiber connection. This doesn't even factor in all the throttling cablevision does if you use your internet connection too much or for things they don't like.

That comcast service is bs, you are sharing that with the rest of your neighborhood. It is just the inherent problem with cable internet. Fios is a direct fiber connection. This doesn't even factor in all the throttling cablevision does if you use your internet connection too much or for things they don't like.

Net Neutrality, everyone should love it.

Really? I had no idea that is how it worked, lol.

I have had comcast since the @home days. Never had a single problem. So for me there has never been a reason to switch. I actually switched our office to Comcast Business and it has been very well received. We saved a TON of money as well.

Really? I had no idea that is how it worked, lol.

I have had comcast since the @home days. Never had a single problem. So for me there has never been a reason to switch. I actually switched our office to Comcast Business and it has been very well received. We saved a TON of money as well.

my only point in mentioning it is that their "50 mbps" advertisement is kinda meaningless. I have never had issues with my timewarner service, but when i had fios you really saw a difference.

my only point in mentioning it is that their "50 mbps" advertisement is kinda meaningless. I have never had issues with my timewarner service, but when i had fios you really saw a difference.

It isn't meaningless. They can now guarantee you bandwidth levels.

Like I said we are running our office on it. Couldn't do that if we had to worry about what our neighbors were doing. :D

Archived