30 years ago 12/8/80 .... those of you who were old enough...where were you?

gg

I remember exactly where i was when i heard the news...

i was a freshman in college... i do believe it was finals or very close to it.. it seemed unbelievable .. the news didnt make sense.. There were a bunch of us in the "TV room" waiting for word if it was true... That was our media...So much changed that day...

Cosell announced it during MNF game between the pats and dolphins...

Not being funny but what was the event? John Lennon?

yes... OY!

i know that there are at least a couple of people here in my age range who would remember it.. or maybe their parents told them stories of it. OY!

yes... OY!

i know that there are at least a couple of people here in my age range who would remember it.. or maybe their parents told them stories of it. OY!

I actually do remember it. I was in 5th grade and was still living in NYC. I did have one Beatles 8 Track (seriously) and I remember everyone being so upset. I asked my parents why someone would kill him. Obviously there were no answers.

Honestly it wasn't that long after my Uncle had been shot and killed in NYC so as a kid you just think this is some-what normal. If that makes sense....

yes... OY!

And although I was never really a Beatles fan, you don't have to be a fan to appreciate the impact he had.

I was watching MNF as many of you were.

At the time it didn't really phase me. Lennon was not doing much musically that interested me anymore. It was later that I realized what the world lost.

If you can get you hands on the John Lennon Playboy Interview from a few months (I think) before he died, it's a really great and insightful piece to read.

I was watching MNF as many of you were.

At the time it didn't really phase me. Lennon was not doing much musically that interested me anymore. It was later that I realized what the world lost.

If you can get you hands on the John Lennon Playboy Interview from a few months (I think) before he died, it's a really great and insightful piece to read.

I felt about the same Doug as I didn't and still don't care for his solo work and his painful "wife" defied description. I remember being sad that he had to die at the hands of a crazy man because he was a prominent figure in the music world and now the Fab Four would never play together again. I respect his solo work as the true genius it is and his collaboration with McCartney is unrivaled in out generation.

I remember exactly where i was when i heard the news...

i was a freshman in college... i do believe it was finals or very close to it.. it seemed unbelievable .. the news didnt make sense.. There were a bunch of us in the "TV room" waiting for word if it was true... That was our media...So much changed that day...

Cosell announced it during MNF game between the pats and dolphins...

I had graduated college and was in my first year of teaching high school math -- and wondering what the heck I got myself into. :D

I was at home grading tests and watching TV in the background. When it was announced, I couldn't believe it. But having lived through all the assassinations in the 60's, I thought there's another whacko in the world and how tragic that these things keep happening.

I remember the day perfectly-it was a hot Indian summer day in New York-probably in the 80's and I fell asleep early that night and when we woke up early the next day my cousin said "did something happen to one of The Beatles or what-all they're playing on WNEW is Beatles stuff". We found out on a break.

That day it got cold and grey and wet and rainy and windy. All the leaves flew off all of the trees and I was working on a scaffold in Elizabeth-very depressing day. I was 25. We tried to make it to Central Park that Sunday for the memorial but got there late just as it was ending and the snow flurries started swirling down.

Watching a re-run of M*A*S*H when it was over Channel 5 news had their nightly update and mentioned he was shot but that was all they said - Figuring he was going to be allright I turned on the game and 10 minutes later Cosell made the announcment -- I was shocked like everone else.

My Mom was in High School, she was a huge Beatles fan. She said she was depressed for weeks

Wow, I was in high school. :unsure:

I found out in the morning, listening to the radio eating breakfast like I always did. Spent the day with a bunch of kids I really didn't know in school sitting out by the flagpole. We lowered the flag to half-mast, someone from the school would come out and raise it, then we'd lower it back down again.

The only thing I ever listened to up until the point I was 12 or so was my Beatles albums. I was and am a huge, huge fan.

I remember a week or so later -maybe it was the following weekend- Yoko asked everyone to stop what they were doing for 5 or 10 minutes and stand in silence in honor of John. I walked off my job at Friendly's at the mall to stand outside and do just that.

Archived