Props to Slauson This Year

TNJet

I am really pleased with the way this guy has played the second half of this year. I have been watching the film from Pitt and Chicago games on our rushing touchdowns where he clearly wipes out the linebackers doing great on traps and pulls. Gets to the secondary in a hurry sometimes faster than Ferguson. Not bad for a 6th rnd pick, who apparently is looking light years better than Ducasse. I personally think in a few years we could have another probowler out of Matt. Anyone else see him getting better possibly earning a pro bowl birth eventually??

Slauson was ALWAYS slated to replace Faneca. He played for Callahan in Nebraska and Callahan's forte is offensive lineman. Callahan knew the kid has the raw skills to play the position and he groomed him nicely. I think the whole idea that Ducasse was drafted to play LG right away was totally overblown. Ducasse is here to be groomed to take over for Woody either next season or the one after. We have solid young guys on OL with Turner, Ducasse, Hunter, Slauson, and obviously Mangold and DBrick.

He's had his share of mistakes, but it's his first year starting and it's to be expected.

I always had a little faith in him otherwise they wouldn't have even considered moving Faneca prior to the draft.

Can't believe in hindsight I was one of few voices of optimism this past off-season regarding Slauson. I usually think these guys are going to be garbage.

I am really pleased with the way this guy has played the second half of this year. I have been watching the film from Pitt and Chicago games on our rushing touchdowns where he clearly wipes out the linebackers doing great on traps and pulls. Gets to the secondary in a hurry sometimes faster than Ferguson. Not bad for a 6th rnd pick, who apparently is looking light years better than Ducasse. I personally think in a few years we could have another probowler out of Matt. Anyone else see him getting better possibly earning a pro bowl birth eventually??

I strongly agree with you and want to state that DUCASSE played today and he did good!

Slauson was ALWAYS slated to replace Faneca. He played for Callahan in Nebraska and Callahan's forte is offensive lineman. Callahan knew the kid has the raw skills to play the position and he groomed him nicely. I think the whole idea that Ducasse was drafted to play LG right away was totally overblown. Ducasse is here to be groomed to take over for Woody either next season or the one after. We have solid young guys on OL with Turner, Ducasse, Hunter, Slauson, and obviously Mangold and DBrick.

Disagree. If this were the case they wouldn't have moved Ducasse to G. Turner is probably the top backup on the team and he already played G. Even today, Ducasse played G. FWIW, Hunter is almost 30 and will be an UFA. I think Turner will be a FA too.

Disagree. If this were the case they wouldn't have moved Ducasse to G. Turner is probably the top backup on the team and he already played G. Even today, Ducasse played G. FWIW, Hunter is almost 30 and will be an UFA. I think Turner will be a FA too.

Yeah I think it was more like, worst case scenario we use Slauson and they were ok with that. But the Jets really wanted Ducasse to grow into the position right away; he is definitely more physically talented. They ended up going with that worst-case with Slauson starting, and we could have done worse. He's had his growing pains, he isn't going to be a superstar, but he didn't get Sanchez killed (however close he came in week 1) and stayed healthy all year.

Slauson is ok. My guess is next year he will be back to the bench as a key reserve. He doenst move well side to side and he gets overwhelmed at times. If there is a guy to give up a big sack that has injury potential it has been him this season. I think one of the issues moving forward with him as a starter is that he doesnt do anything really well. In your guard you either want a mauler who can open a giant hole off the draw or you want an athlete that can get out and pull and lead block for a run off tackle. He really doesnt do either.

Slauson is ok. My guess is next year he will be back to the bench as a key reserve. He doenst move well side to side and he gets overwhelmed at times. If there is a guy to give up a big sack that has injury potential it has been him this season. I think one of the issues moving forward with him as a starter is that he doesnt do anything really well. In your guard you either want a mauler who can open a giant hole off the draw or you want an athlete that can get out and pull and lead block for a run off tackle. He really doesnt do either.

This. Average at everything, horrible at nothing. Unlike Faneca, who was good in one area but horrible in the other. Turned out to be a lateral move when all was said and done.

Archived