Brett Favre and Jets sued (Merged eleventy billion times)

Bugg

LAWSUIT TIME-

http://deadspin.com/5723772/brett-favre-sued-for-sexual-harassment?skyline=true&s=i

Two team massage therapists—yeah, these two—have sued Favre and the Jets for sexual harassment. The women claim he propositioned them via text message (for a threesome), and weren't re-hired by the Jets after they complained. And here we go.

Good Morning America has the exclusive, and it's pretty much what we expected. Christina Scavo and Shannon O'Toole filed suit in New York State Supreme Court today, claiming that their time working for the Jets in 2008 was filled with aggressive approaches by Favre, who treated them like a "hanging slab of meat."

Text messages they allege were sent from Favre include messages like "Brett here, you and Crissy want to get together, I'm all alone," and "Kinda lonely tonight, I guess I have bad intentions." As we reported in October, Scavo's husband confronted Favre and asked for an apology. Joseph Scavo says Favre refused, and his wife and O'Toole came under fire from the woman in charge of hiring the team's massage therapists.

Lisa Ripi, who we highlighted as "the muscle" in the incident, allegedly told Scavo that the matter should be handled internally, and not taken to the press—or the courts. Ripi is named as a defendant alongside Favre and the Jets.

The suit, which seeks unspecified damages, says that the Jets fostered "a hotbed of sexual harassment, sexism and inappropriate behavior."

Elizabeth Eilender, the attorney for Scavo and O'Toole, has been in contact with most major news organizations since our report was originally published. But the filing of this lawsuit has caught everyone, including us, completely by surprise. It appears that GMA landed the exclusive, with enough time to prepare a written report complete with statements and follow-up questions, to publish simultaneously with the lawsuit. And a package on tomorrow's Good Morning America, of course. It appears they were willing to pay the highest "licensing fee."

I'm not a legal professional, so this is just a question, but...

Isn't it just SLIGHTLY odd that it took all these people so long to come out, and that they didn't until an internet website (deadspin i believe) put it out there.

I don't like Favre, but I'm just sayin'

Isn't it just SLIGHTLY odd that it took all these people so long to come out, and that they didn't until an internet website (deadspin i believe) put it out there.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Bugg is a legal professional ;)

Favre doesnt have a leg to stand on I think after being fined by the NFL about sterger. he looks guilty.

The statute of limitations for most civil suits is 2 1/2 years, so they are within their rights. Does seem suspect and probably a money grab. But Favre is such a slapdick that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Favre doesnt have a leg to stand on I think after being fined by the NFL about sterger. he looks guilty.

Agreed. They figure Sterger got something out of him so why not throw more sh*t at him and see if they can muscle money out of him as well. But suing through Jets organization as a whole is pretty bold.

Ah, I knew there were a couple guys...didn't remember he was one.

I'm more concerned about the Jets to be honest, though :P who, apparently, are included in this law suit.

If it was me, I sure as heck wouldnt have waited a year to file a lawsuit against an organization that I felt wrongly fired me. Especially in a case such as this.

The statute of limitations for most civil suits is 2 1/2 years, so they are within their rights. Does seem suspect and probably a money grab. But Favre is such a slapdick that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

That's the big thing. Suspect, but if it's in the window then it doesn't look good for the ol' gunslinger.

Agreed. They figure Server got something out of him so why not throw more sh*t at him and see if they can muscle money out of him as well. But suing through Jets organization as a whole is pretty bold.

The Jets probably will settle up their part privately and quickly, and leave Favre to deal with this mess by himself.Even Sunday this egomaniac was on the sidelines vamping like a total attention whore and then ran down the tunnel by himself.

PIG IS RIPE FOR THE SLAUGHTER. now that the league find him, it's a freaking free for all. These ladies will get paid regardless of what Favre did or didn't do. Good for them.

PIG IS RIPE FOR THE SLAUGHTER. now that the league find him, it's a freaking free for all. These ladies will get paid regardless of what Favre did or didn't do. Good for them.

"There were no words, and no movements but the tearing of teeth and claws."

- William Golding, Lord of the Flies, Ch. 9

Two massage therapists sue Brett Favre, Jets over lost jobs

Women say were subjected to sexual harassment and job discrimination after complaining about sexually suggestive text messages.

Two massage therapists sued Brett Favre on Monday, saying they lost their part-time jobs with the New York Jets after complaining about sexually suggestive text messages from the veteran quarterback.

Claiming they were subjected to sexual harassment and job discrimination, Christina Scavo and Shannon O'Toole are seeking unspecified damages from Favre, the Jets and a Jets massage coordinator.

Although the women don't say they received any messages directly from Favre, he referred to Scavo in a message proposing a meeting with her and a third, unidentified massage therapist, the lawsuit says.

"Kinda lonely tonight," he added in a subsequent message to the third masseuse, the lawsuit said. "I guess I have bad intentions."

The team declined to comment. Favre's agent didn't immediately return a telephone message.

The lawsuit comes five days after the NFL fined Favre $50,000 for not being forthright in an investigation into allegations that he sent lewd text messages and photos to former Jets game hostess Jenn Sterger when they both worked for the team in 2008.

The league's investigation went on for months as the three-time most valuable player staggered through his 20th NFL season, fighting injuries as he led Minnesota in a disappointing season. Favre's consecutive-starts streak eventually ended at 297 in December and he sat out the Vikings' final game, a loss to Detroit on Sunday. Afterward he said he's retiring — for good, this time.

The NFL also reviewed media reports that Favre pursued two massage therapists who worked at the Jets' facility in 2008, but the league said that claim could not be substantiated because people with "potentially relevant information" wouldn't cooperate with investigators. O'Toole's and Scavo's lawyer, David Jaroslawicz, said he told investigators about the information his clients had.

Favre and Jets Sued by Two Massage Therapists

Allegations of misbehavior by Brett Favre while he played for the Jets in 2008 did not end with the $50,000 that the N.F.L. fined him last week for not cooperating with its investigation.

ABC News reported Monday on its Web site that two massage therapists who worked for the team allege sexual harassment in a lawsuit filed against Favre, the Jets and Lisa Ripi, who performs massage and acupuncture for the team.

According to the ABC News report, the massage therapists, Christina Scavo and Shannon O’Toole, alleged that Favre made unwanted advances toward them. The Jets and Ripi are included in the suit because Scavo and O’Toole also described the team, its locker room and its training camp facility as “a hotbed of sexual harassment, sexism and inappropriate behavior,” and they said the Jets refused to hire them again after the alleged incidents in 2008.

Ripi and the Jets declined to comment, citing a pending legal matter. Favre was fined $50,000 after the N.F.L.’s investigation on whether he sent inappropriate text messages and pictures to Jenn Sterger, a former game-day hostess for the Jets. The league did not find that Favre engaged in inappropriate conduct, but it fined him for a lack of cooperation.

The Jets’ locker room was also investigated by the league this season, in relation to the team’s treatment of a female reporter from a television station in Mexico. The Jets’ owner, Woody Johnson, ended up paying for a leaguewide training program to remind players, coaches and team employees of proper workplace conduct.

Included among the allegations in the ABC News report: Favre treated Scavo like “a hanging slab of meat.”

Favre sued for harassment by two former Jets massage therapists

One week after receiving a $50,000 fine relating to a lewd text message allegedly sent to a New York Jets employee, Brett Favre(notes) has been sued by two former team employees for sexual harassment. Both Favre and the Jets are named in the suit.

Favre is said to have treated the therapists as "hanging slabs of meat," while the Jets cultivated "a hotbed of sexual harassment, sexism and inappropriate behavior." The women are seeking unspecified damages.

The lawsuit was brought by Christina Scavo and Shannon O'Toole, former massage therapists who worked for the Jets in 2008. Scavo and O'Toole first came forward (privately) after the lewd photo Favre allegedly sent Sterger was shown on Deadspin.com last October.

After reading the story about the incident in the New York Post, the women came forward to both publications but declined to give their names. At the time, they alleged that Favre asked O'Toole for her phone number (a practice which is common for professional purposes). In a text message sent one evening, Favre quickly made it apparent that he was after more than a massage. "Kinda lonely tonight," he wrote, "I guess I have bad intentions." He is said to have invited both women back to his hotel room, but they declined.

Upon learning of the inappropriate advances by Favre, Scavo's husband called him and demanded an apology. The quarterback is said to have refused. The women say they were then reprimanded by Lisa Ripi, a personal trainer who worked for the Jets. Ripi, who is named in the suit, told the women to keep the incident internal and not contact the press.

Rex Ryan's Jets were under fire early in the 2010 season for inappropriate behavior toward a Mexican television reporter. Though Ryan wasn't with the team in 2008, when the incidents with the massage therapists allegedly took place, this stands as another black mark for the organization. It also further sullies the name of Favre, whose ride off into the NFL sunset has been rockier than he could have ever imagined.

Favre, Jets sued over suggestive texts to massage therapists

NEW YORK -- Two massage therapists sued Brett Favre on Monday, claiming they lost their part-time jobs with the New York Jets after complaining about sexually suggestive text messages from the veteran quarterback.

Claiming they were subjected to sexual harassment and job discrimination, Christina Scavo and Shannon O'Toole are seeking unspecified damages from Favre, the Jets and a team massage coordinator.

Although the women don't say they received any messages directly from Favre, he referred to Scavo in a message proposing a meeting with her and a third, unidentified massage therapist, the lawsuit says.

"Kinda lonely tonight," Favre added in a subsequent message to the third masseuse, the lawsuit said. "I guess I have bad intentions."

The Jets declined to comment. Favre's agent, Bus Cook, didn't immediately return a telephone message.

The lawsuit arrives five days after the NFL fined Favre $50,000 for not being forthright in an investigation into allegations that he sent lewd text messages and photos to former Jets game hostess Jenn Sterger when they both worked for the team in 2008.

The league's investigation went on for months as the three-time MVP staggered through his 20th NFL season, fighting injuries as he led Minnesota in a disappointing season. Favre's consecutive-starts streak was snapped at 297 games in December, and he sat out the Vikings' final game Sunday, a loss to the Detroit Lions. Afterward he said he's retiring -- for good, this time.

The NFL also reviewed media reports that Favre pursued two massage therapists who worked at the Jets' facility in 2008, but the league said that claim couldn't be substantiated because people with "potentially relevant information" wouldn't cooperate with investigators. O'Toole's and Scavo's lawyer, David Jaroslawicz, said he told investigators about the information his clients had.

The two women worked for years at the Jets' training camp and for various players individually, sometimes giving massages at players' homes, according to the lawsuit. O'Toole brought Scavo into the Jets' fold, Jaroslawicz said.

After Scavo and an unidentified colleague gave massages at the training camp in 2008, Favre sent the colleague a text message saying, "Brett here you and crissy want to get together I'm all alone," the lawsuit said.

Jaroslawicz declined to identify the massage therapist who allegedly received the messages.

Scavo told her husband, Joseph, about the messages. He promptly told Favre to back off and apologize, according to the lawsuit.

The husband got a brush-off from Favre, and his wife and O'Toole were blackballed by the team, the lawsuit says.

The Jets stopped calling the women for work, initially offering such excuses as having moved the training camp, Jaroslawicz said.

After the allegations about Favre chasing Jets masseuses surfaced in media reports, the team's massage coordinator, Lisa Ripi, sent Scavo a series of e-mails calling Favre "a pervert" and ripping her for not having kept the matter quiet, the lawsuit says.

"There are ways to handle things in a professional manner and ways to be compensated not in public. ... All this nonsense is unnecessary," Ripi wrote, according to the lawsuit. "For sure feel horrible that u had to go thru that w a pervert. ... He was wrong on all counts...and we cldve helped u a lot more at that time."

Meanwhile, Ripi told O'Toole to "keep your mouth shut" and declared that neither O'Toole nor Scavo would ever work for the team again, the lawsuit says.

Jaroslawicz said his clients had held off on suing while awaiting the results of the NFL investigation, but they decided to go ahead after the probe ended in what they saw as a token fine.

Allegations about Favre's below-the-belt behavior initially surfaced on the website Deadspin, which on Oct. 7 posted a video that included text messages and voicemails allegedly left by Favre for Sterger, including one in which he allegedly invites her to his hotel.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell determined that Favre was "not candid in several respects during the investigation" but "could not conclude" that the quarterback violated its personal-conduct policy based on the evidence he had, the league said in a statement Wednesday announcing the fine. Forensic analysis failed to establish that Favre sent the objectionable photographs to Sterger, the league said.

"Clearly, (the massage therapists) were just as dissatisfied with the NFL's decision as we were. Or lack of a decision, for that matter," Sterger's lawyer, Joseph Conway, said Monday. He wouldn't say if Sterger also was planning a lawsuit.

Favre has consistently refused to answer reporters' questions about the allegations.

While being buffeted by questions about his behavior, Favre also has been battered by injuries to his ankle, chin, ribs, back, head and throwing shoulder -- the one that forced the famously hardy 41-year-old quarterback to miss a start Dec. 13 against the New York Giants.

Favre sat out the season finale because of a concussion and said the game would be his last. Fans have heard that before -- Favre also retired in 2008 with the Green Bay Packers and 2009 with the Jets, only to return both times.

Brett Favre, Jets sued by 2 former massage therapists

Brett Favre is getting sued for sending pervy text messages -- and not by Jenn Sterger.

Two former massage therapists for the Jets filed suit against the grid great and Gang Green today, charging they were fired after one spurned the quarterback's crude digital advances.

In papers filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, Christina Scavo and Shannon O'Toole say Favre made his move in the summer of 2008, after the pair had been working at the Jets training camp on Long Island.

"Brett here," the text to a third unidentified masseuse began. "[Y]ou and crissy want to get together im all alone [sic]."

101110_C_Scavo_VA_04183320--300x300.JPG

Christina Scavo who today filed suit against Brett Favre and the Jets.

He then sent a follow up text, saying, "Kinda lonely tonight I guess I have bad intentions."

Scavo told her husband about the texts, and he called the Packers legend and "requested that he stop soliciting his wife for 'bad intentions' or to get together with her. Mr. Scavo further requested that Favre apologize for his inappropriate behavior of sexually harassing Christina Scavo and other massage therapists," the suit says.

Favre "responded in an inappropriate manner and refused to apologize," the filing says.

"He essentially told him to go away and as a celebrity he couldn't be bothered with the little people," said the therapists' lawyer, David Jarosclawicz.

He said it was his clients who got sacked after the hubby's phone call. Scavo and O'Toole, who'd gotten Scavo her job, "were never again called to provide massage therapy for the Jets," the suit says.

Jaroslawicz said his clients decided to come forward after former Jets' sideline reporter Sterger's story about being harassed with crude e-mails from Favre went public.

"Then they knew it was a pattern," Jaroslawicz said.

Both women cooperated with the NFL's investigation into Favre's conduct, and both were disgusted with the $50,000 penalty the league handed down against him.

"It's a joke. It's like letting a drunk driver plead guilty to a broken tail light," Jaroslawicz said.

The suit also names the Jets as defendants, as well as the Jets' employee who coordinated the massage program, Lisa Ripi. The suit quotes from texts Ripi sent Scavo, where she told the therapist her "husband is a complete a--hole" and "you should have come to me."

"For sure feel horrible that u had to go thru that w a pervert . . . He was wrong on all counts . . . and we cldve helped u a lot more at the time," the suit quotes Ripi as texting.

The suit seeks unspecified money damages, and for Scavo and O'Toole to get their jobs back.

Brett Favre, Jets Reportedly Sued for Sexual Harassment

Brett Favre is being sued for sexual harassment stemming from conduct toward at least two women who worked for the Jets in 2008, when Favre played for the team.

ABC News first reported that Christina Scavo and Shannon O'Toole, former massage therapists for the Jets, have sued both Favre and the team, saying that Favre propositioned them.

Scavo says Favre treated her like a "hanging slab of meat" and requested a threesome with her and another therapist. Scavo says she turned Favre down and had her husband call him to demand an apology -- and that, after that, she was never again employed by the Jets.

According to the lawsuit, Favre allegedly sent an unidentified woman a text reading, "Brett here, you and Crissy want to get together, I'm all alone," and sent another message that said, "Kinda lonely tonight, I guess I have bad intentions."

O'Toole also says she lost her position as a Jets massage therapist as a result of Favre's sexual harassment.

The suit calls the Jets' locker room "a hot bed of sexual harassment, sexism and inappropriate behavior." Neither Favre nor the Jets has publicly responded.

The suit is not related to the accusations made by Jenn Sterger that Favre sent her inappropriate photos and text messages.

Still, Sterger's camp empathizes with Favre's new accusers.

"Clearly they're just as disappointed by the NFL's decision as we are," said Joseph Conway, Sterger's attorney, in an e-mail to FanHouse Monday night.

Favre was recently fined $50,000 by the NFL for failure to cooperate in the league's investigation into Sterger's claims.

Archived