Eric Mangini

TNJet

What's your view on his status? Last time he was fired it only lasted about a week when Cleveland hired him quickly. Will he be unemployed long? Do teams now doubt his ability as a HC? For some reason I think he'd be a good choice for the Raiders, they need some freaking discipline, something Gini loves to sellout.

What's your view on his status? Last time he was fired it only lasted about a week when Cleveland hired him quickly. Will he be unemployed long? Do teams now doubt his ability as a HC? For some reason I think he'd be a good choice for the Raiders, they need some freaking discipline, something Gini loves to sellout.

:angry:

I think a head coach job in the college ranks is probably next for him. Like Herm, he never even qualified as a legitimate NFL coordinator before he got his first HC gig. Unlike Herm, he does seem to have some football acumen. No coach would've won in Cleveland with that talent.

He is rumored to be the next UCONN Coach

Eric Mangini Rumored to be Candidate as UConn's Next Football Coach

By Eugene McCormick. Published on 01/03/2011 - 4:42pm

University of Connecticut head football coach Randy Edsall has left the school for Maryland prompting speculation that Eric Mangini may be in line for the job with the Huskies. Mangini, who was fired from the Browns earlier today, grew up in Hartford. The Hartford Courant reports:

The Wesleyan graduate was fired by the Cleveland Browns Monday, ending a two-year run in which Mangini posted a pair of 5-11 seasons. Mangini was also head coach of the Jets after serving as Bill Belichick's defensive coordinator with the Patriots.

Mangini, who will turn 40 later this month, has never coached in college. He reportedly has two years remaining on a contract that pays him an average of $3.9 million a year, so he doesn't need immediate work.

Still, the Bulkeley-Hartford graduate does have strong name recognition in the region and has continued to run a yearly football camp in his home city.

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/15583

And not very diff from alot of bad HC's 1st 5 yrs.

Says the man who emphatically states "Fired HCs who are 10-22 in their last 2 seasons don't get HC jobs again."

Truth is, you dont know that to be fact regarding Mangini.

His appeal is presently low on any approval matrix but there is bias caused by negative skew of NY and Cleve.

In short, opinions change. Not always by caused by reality but more often by emotion.

He might be a HC again, he might not.

FWIW, Worse coaches have been recycled.

Says the man who emphatically states "Fired HCs who are 10-22 in their last 2 seasons don't get HC jobs again."

Truth is, you dont know that to be fact regarding Mangini.

His appeal is presently low on any approval matrix but there is bias caused by negative skew of NY and Cleve.

In short, opinions change. Not always by caused by reality but more often by emotion.

He might be a HC again, he might not.

FWIW, Worse coaches have been recycled.

Saying that "worse coaches have been recycled" is not a valid defense of Mangini's coaching quality, now is it?

Also, your point which I replied to is trying to pass off an exception as a rule. Far more bad HCs have had similar records to Mangini. Just because a certain few good HCs had similar losing records does not mean that Mangini is or will be a good HC.

Mangini may get a HC job again in the distance future, but look at the OP. His question was about 2011. There's no way in hell Mangini gets a HC job in 2011 unless the owner is completely insane or has dementia.

Saying that "worse coaches have been recycled" is not a valid defense of Mangini's coaching quality, now is it?

Also, your point which I replied to is trying to pass off an exception as a rule. Far more bad HCs have had similar records to Mangini. Just because a certain few good HCs had similar losing records does not mean that Mangini is or will be a good HC.

Mangini may get a HC job again in the distance future, but look at the OP. His question was about 2011. There's no way in hell Mangini gets a HC job in 2011 unless the owner is completely insane or has dementia.

Yes, to OP I read.

Did you?

2012 is clearly implied by saying next year not 2011.

So in addition,

OP did not specify college or pros

There are more than a "certain few" as you state "good hc's that started poorly."

I know you can do the goog.

Personally? I think he is a disaster as a coach (players dont relate to this guy at all) and will fail again if given the chance.

But back to your statement "Fired HCs who are 10-22 in their last 2 seasons don't get HC jobs again."

Stated as a fact when it is only opinion. You know the diff no?

Yes, OP said 2011. I read.

OP did not specify college or pros

There are more than a "certain few" good hc's that started poorly.

I know you can do the goog.

Personally? I think he is a disaster as a coach (players dont relate to this guy at all) and will fail again if given the chance.

But back to your statement "Fired HCs who are 10-22 in their last 2 seasons don't get HC jobs again."

Stated as a fact when it is only opinion. You know the diff no?

I think Mangini can get a college job now like UConn, but an NFL job is out of the question now. In the future it's possible since he's only 40 yrs old.

As to my opinion, it is fact: "Fired HCs who are 10-22 in their last 2 seasons don't get HC jobs again." Name the last fired HC with a similar 2 yr record who got an NFL HC gig the next season? You won't find it.

That said, if you took my statement as meaning FOREVER, then it's my bad for not being clearer.

Yes, to OP I read.

Did you?

2012 is clearly implied by saying next year not 2011.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you're probably the only person who opened this thread and thought the OP meant 2012.

next year = next season

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you're probably the only person who opened this thread and thought the OP meant 2012.

next year = next season

Yep. The OP is definitely talking about the 2011 season (i.e., next year).

Yep. The OP is definitely talking about the 2011 season (i.e., next year).

Gotta agree with that from a season point of view. Makes sense.

But,Main point here is you make a bold statement as fact. "Fired HCs who are 10-22 in their last 2 seasons don't get HC jobs again."

Then you want to hedge it with your UConn qualifier.

Whats next Hartford High School?

Gotta agree with that from a season point of view. Makes sense.

But,Main point here is you make a bold statement as fact. "Fired HCs who are 10-22 in their last 2 seasons don't get HC jobs again."

Then you want to hedge it with your UConn qualifier.

Whats next Hartford High School?

Not hedging at all. NFL HC job >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UConn HC job

So my bold statement is 100% fact based. I don't know why you have such a problem with it. I'm clearly talking about the NFL. Heck, the OP ONLY mentioned the Raiders' job.

I'm hoping the Dolphins give him a chance...

Wow! I was hoping but surely wasn't expecting this but Mangini could get netted by the Phish...

Another thought...or is it just me...but one kind of aura does Bill Parcells have that when he leaves the team the owner makes the damndest decisions.

Kraft choses Bobby Grier and Pete Carroll over BP to shop for groceries...Grier/Carroll take a Super Bowl caliber team to the outhouse and both are gone within three years and Kraft has to start all over with BB.

Johnson buys the JETS and Parcells leaves and the supposed succession plan he built destructs within seconds of takeoff. We endure a turmoil filled run with Groh, Herm and Mangini. Rex still trying to change the team's expectations.

Jones forces TO on a reluctant Parcells and he bolts for greener pastures. Cowboys hire the loose as a goose Wade Phillips who promptly allows the inmates to run the asylum. Delivers a couple of playoff appearances yet the circus-friendly atmosphere ulimately destroys team discipline and promptly bombs in year four and fired with a 1-7 record.

Fast forward to the Phish. Takes over football operations without coaching and promptly builds a team in his image. Solid defense with a strong emphasis on the running game. Only lacks a big game QB to take it to the next level. Ross buys the team, BP takes the money and runs leaving Ireland and Sparano holding the bag. Ross wants to make a splash with Harbaugh upsets Sparano and we could see another Mangini hiring after another unsuccessful coaching opportunity.

Is Mangini that personally impressive that new franchise owners buy his football acumen or is this just the wake of the Tuna?

This really has the chance to become the gift that keeps on giving...what a country?...More to come...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/dolphins-cancel-press-conferece-spoke-with-mangini/

Mangini needs to step back and take a job somewhere as a DC or one of those DB/Asst. Head Coaches. He needs to learn another way to do business other than what he learned under Belichick. If there's one thing that's been proven in the NFL over the last decade, it's that Belichick is the only guy who can get away with being Belichick, mainly because he has Tom Brady. Every one of his assistants has failed now because they try to be him. Mangini should go work under Andy Reid or Jeff Fisher or Sean Payton, just to gain some perspective on how a non-savant runs a locker room.

sparano should resign on priciple

I know he's be walking away from big dollars, but it's also humiliating to have your job shopped publicly while you are still in it, and he could find another job

and what idiot would actually take the job when the owner is sh*tting on his HC ?

Archived