2011 Mock Draft

bitonti

I don't want to picture that Texans D with Williams on the DL and Quinn/Ryans/Cushing playing 3 of the 4 LB spots...f'n ridikilus.

Not sure Miller fits with the Giants, but maybe...he's a better prospect than Sintim was...Speaking of Sintim, I hope they cut him and the Jets at least show interest...there's upside there.

Are the Pats looking for an OT?

I'm not a Houston fan right now...nor do I believe that playing in a college 3-4 is an advantage for a guy being drafted by a 3-4 team...except for 'Bama guys under Saban that is...and that's probably going to die down over time. Houston's a good athlete, but I hear he's not that bright...I prefer Sheard amongst the names there.

Fine work as always Bit. Hopefully the draft forum picks up this year here, though even the main board is slow nowadays.

Not sure Miller fits with the Giants, but maybe...he's a better prospect than Sintim was...Speaking of Sintim, I hope they cut him and the Jets at least show interest...there's upside there.

Sintim had a knee injury at the end of the year, not sure how serious it was... but every draft we have certain players that are "perfect" for a certain system and then never play in that system. Von Miller could be one of those guys who everyone says is ideal in the 3-4 and then goes to a 4-3.

Are the Pats looking for an OT?

It depends on Matt Light. They have him up for contract as well as Logan mankins. My guess is they sign Mankins and draft a LT. But it could go a different way.

Houston's a good athlete, but I hear he's not that bright...I prefer Sheard amongst the names there.

I also prefer Sheard but his stock is very low right now... like 70 overall... will get a good chance to see him up close at Senior Bowl tho... some say he's strictly a 4-3 DE.

One thing I've noticed about the Jets is that except for Kyle Wilson (which hasn't worked out that great) the Jets haven't taken a first round senior for a while (2006 Mangold/Brick i believe was the last time). They seem to love juniors in round 1.

Calvin Pace has a huge salary cap number and OLB might really be the biggest need. Guys like marcus Dixon appear to be developing, who knows about Crable and Cody Brown? They basically have JT who is ancient, Pace and Thomas. All over 30. Westerman is more of a Special teamer altho he did play a little against NE. He hasn't really produced. OLB might be the target at end of the round not DL.

thanks for the feedback

I think as a GM I would rather chew my arm off at the elbow than sign my name to card that reads "Ryan Mallett" or "Jake Locker." Poor bastards out there who need a QB, man. Brutal.

Also, it would have to be hard for Belichick to pass on Julio Jones...no?

Great job as always, Bit. I love me some DraftDaddy mocks.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Can't see Chico passing up a defensive stud like Fairley.

here's my problem with Fairley... he's not as good as Suh. if Suh couldn't go #1 than no DT will go #1. A QB has to be #1 it's the unwritten rule. Also Fairley was only good for 1 year. we could say the same about Cam Newton but he plays a more premium position. Jimmy Clausen is not a reason to hold off on QB anymore than Clemens was a reason to hold off on Sanchez.

here's my problem with Fairley... he's not as good as Suh. if Suh couldn't go #1 than no DT will go #1. A QB has to be #1 it's the unwritten rule. Also Fairley was only good for 1 year. we could say the same about Cam Newton but he plays a more premium position. Jimmy Clausen is not a reason to hold off on QB anymore than Clemens was a reason to hold off on Sanchez.

No a QB doesn't have to go number one and if I am not mistaken Clausen was a rookie last year. Bad comparison with Clemens because clemens by the time we drafted Sanchez, Clemens had a few years under his belt... He could never beat out Pennington by the time the Jets picked Sanchez they had enough eveidence to know that Clemens was not the guy. The Panthers do not have a body of work from Clausen to make that assessment yet. If they do then he was a second round mistake. I am just not sure the panthers are ready or able come to that conclusion at this point.

Suh went two to a QB who was getting Peyton Manning comparisons.

Suh went two to a QB who was getting Peyton Manning comparisons.

and missed a year with a shoulder injury.

Trust me. Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert will rise. Fairley is an easy top 5 pick but he won't go #1. It just never works out that way for the D-Linemen, no matter how great they are. It's always a QB. I can keep Fairly at 1 on my mock for 2 months or just save time and switch him now.

The last 2 times someone tried it, (Casserly drafting Mario Williams... Parcells drafting Jake Long) neither of those guys are employed any more.

And FWIW a case could be made that cameron jordan is a better pick than nick fairley. Nick Fairley only has 1 year at Auburn.

and missed a year with a shoulder injury.

Trust me. Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert will rise. Fairley is an easy top 5 pick but he won't go #1. It just never works out that way for the D-Linemen, no matter how great they are. It's always a QB. I can keep Fairly at 1 on my mock for 2 months or just save time and switch him now.

The last 2 times someone tried it, (Casserly drafting Mario Williams... Parcells drafting Jake Long) neither of those guys are employed any more.

And FWIW a case could be made that cameron jordan is a better pick than nick fairley. Nick Fairley only has 1 year at Auburn.

Mario Williams and Jake Long are two of the best players in the game.

Casserly was on his way out in Houston anyway. The idea that they waited until after the draft so he could pre-emptively fall on the grenade (that turned out to be the right pick anyway) was always overblown. As for Long over Ryan, who really cares? Nobody wanted that pick and taking the tackle got Parcells out of it as cheap as possible.

Casserly was on his way out in Houston anyway. The idea that they waited until after the draft so he could pre-emptively fall on the grenade (that turned out to be the right pick anyway) was always overblown. As for Long over Ryan, who really cares? Nobody wanted that pick and taking the tackle got Parcells out of it as cheap as possible.

well to clarify that statement, there is no physical beast at any other position that justifies #1. Unless Patrick Peterson runs a 4.2 and we are willing to consider a CB at #1 there's no Suh or Mario Williams or Jake Long in this draft. A guy that you look at and say "I need him on our team, cause he's the physical prototype at that position" - Fairley and Bowers are not those players. There are guys like that every year.

In fact if there is a guy who is an ideal one of a kind player it's Newton. 6'6" 250 running a 4.5 is pretty darn rare for QBs. People are underrating Newton for all the off the field stuff. the other other player I could forsee going #1 is Gabbert. IF someone wants to have the Gabbert vs Newton discussion that's completely legitimate. But Newton vs Fairley or Bowers isn't really a contest.

In fact if there is a guy who is an ideal one of a kind player it's Newton. 6'6" 250 running a 4.5 is pretty darn rare for QBs. People are underrating Newton for all the off the field stuff. the other other player I could forsee going #1 is Gabbert. IF someone wants to have the Gabbert vs Newton discussion that's completely legitimate. But Newton vs Fairley or Bowers isn't really a contest.

Is Gabbert even that good? I personally don't see why everyone loves him.

Is Gabbert even that good? I personally don't see why everyone loves him.

it's a very interesting question... he used to be a 5star QB recruit in high school... which is rare to see a guy be 5star prep and a first rounder in the pros... his skills have always been well above par... he will rise as well... especially in combine interviews... to be honest I could very easily see a scenario where he goes higher than Newton but Carolina, being in SEC country is probably an easier sell. But either one works for me. i don't forsee a scenario where some DL goes #1 and Newton goes 12. that's just nutty.

it's a very interesting question... he used to be a 5star QB recruit in high school... which is rare to see a guy be 5star prep and a first rounder in the pros... his skills have always been well above par... he will rise as well... especially in combine interviews... to be honest I could very easily see a scenario where he goes higher than Newton but Carolina, being in SEC country is probably an easier sell. But either one works for me. i don't forsee a scenario where some DL goes #1 and Newton goes 12. that's just nutty.

When I seen Gabbert play I just though of him as average at best, I actually though Chase Daniels was better then him running same offense. I think Mallet is better then Gabbert from what i see as accuracy and arm strength.

When I seen Gabbert play I just though of him as average at best, I actually though Chase Daniels was better then him running same offense. I think Mallet is better then Gabbert from what i see as accuracy and arm strength.

daniels had better players like maclin around him but yes the system is a question (is gabbert a product of that spread?). As for Mallett... the baggage hasn't been flushed out publicly but signs point to he's not a very reliable person. Lazy people compare Newton to JMarcus Russell but really Mallett is like Russell or so they say. Huge arm, lot of talent, but immature and not a professional. Gabbert the person will impress people in combine interview rooms I am getting the feeling he's a superior character guy like pennington...

Newton will too but in a different way. He's also nice... but in a goofy way (i've heard people say like Shaq), a personable guy that teams can market and build a franchise around.

I'd be petrified of giving Newton his first million dollars. With all the character stuff surrounding him, he looks like the type that will drown in purple drank before he sees his second paycheck.

The only reason that is funny is because it is true.

daniels had better players like maclin around him but yes the system is a question (is gabbert a product of that spread?). As for Mallett... the baggage hasn't been flushed out publicly but signs point to he's not a very reliable person. Lazy people compare Newton to JMarcus Russell but really Mallett is like Russell or so they say. Huge arm, lot of talent, but immature and not a professional. Gabbert the person will impress people in combine interview rooms I am getting the feeling he's a superior character guy like pennington...

Newton will too but in a different way. He's also nice... but in a goofy way (i've heard people say like Shaq), a personable guy that teams can market and build a franchise around.

Mallett >>> Russell

Personally, I like him quite a bit but like all the QB prospects I don't care where they go so long as they're taken before the Jets pick. Just another DL falling closer to 30...also, I like Newton and Gabbert but in the way people liked Rogers/Smith back in '05...we'll see how they look when they play. Gabbert would do well to get drafted by the 49ers and Harbaugh...

Tebow went in the first round.

Also, Gabbert has the same weaknesses as Tebow? Are we talking spread offense because mechanically I think Gabbert is ahead of Tebow out of college. Gabbert, like Tebow, isn't a bad QB prospect by any means they just don't fit the prototype of "franchise QB" right out of the box...

Tebow went in the first round.

Also, Gabbert has the same weaknesses as Tebow? Are we talking spread offense because mechanically I think Gabbert is ahead of Tebow out of college. Gabbert, like Tebow, isn't a bad QB prospect by any means they just don't fit the prototype of "franchise QB" right out of the box...

I was reading about him and they said he mechanics are bad, he runs spread offense, accuracy is trash, makes bad decision when it comes to pocket presents.

I'd be petrified of giving Newton his first million dollars. With all the character stuff surrounding him, he looks like the type that will drown in purple drank before he sees his second paycheck.

there's this perception out there but i don't know where it came from. HE stole a laptop when he was 18. his dad may or may not have taken money. By NFL standards this is tiddly winks. We are talking about a league of muderders, rapists, dog fighters and other miscreants. What Cam Newton is accused of is childs play by NFL Standards. Again, Mallett is way riskier of a person, if you had to give a milion to Newton or Mallett you'd much rather give it to Newton.

there's this perception out there but i don't know where it came from. HE stole a laptop when he was 18. his dad may or may not have taken money. By NFL standards this is tiddly winks. We are talking about a league of muderders, rapists, dog fighters and other miscreants. What Cam Newton is accused of is childs play by NFL Standards. Again, Mallett is way riskier of a person, if you had to give a milion to Newton or Mallett you'd much rather give it to Newton.

I'd give it to neither of them, personally. Newton has been surrounded by off-the-field controversy at every step--it'd be foolish to think he'd break that trend after you made him a millionaire. It'd be one thing if he was a D-linemen and he did stupid sh*t, but this is your QB. These guys have to be solid upstairs (Ben Roethlisberger excluded).

I'd give it to neither of them, personally. Newton has been surrounded by off-the-field controversy at every step--it'd be foolish to think he'd break that trend after you made him a millionaire. It'd be one thing if he was a D-linemen and he did stupid sh*t, but this is your QB. These guys have to be solid upstairs (Ben Roethlisberger excluded).

the funny thing is... the QB he resembles most is probably Big Ben. Huge guy that is mobile in the pocket, rocket arm, tough to bring down. there was a cbssports article where someone in the league (anonymously) said "He's black big ben." Vince Young, J'Marcus Russell comparisons are lazy. He's better than both prospects He's also similar to McNabb coming out... but bigger. Again there aren't 6'6" 250 pounders every year. Some years it's Matt Stafford and CHad Pennington.

the funny thing is... the QB he resembles most is probably Big Ben. Huge guy that is mobile in the pocket, rocket arm, tough to bring down. there was a cbssports article where someone in the league (anonymously) said "He's black big ben." Vince Young, J'Marcus Russell comparisons are lazy. He's better than both prospects He's also similar to McNabb coming out... but bigger. Again there aren't 6'6" 250 pounders every year. Some years it's Matt Stafford and CHad Pennington.

A better prospect than Russell? Russell is lazy, but he went #1 overall. He was 6'6" 260+ and had a cannon and good big school production.

Archived