Why Patriots fans should be on board with the Jets

SoFlaJets

Why Patriots fans should be on board with the Jets

By Dan Shaughnessy

Globe Columnist / January 23, 2011

PITTSBURGH

J . . . E . . . T . . . S.

Jets! Jets! Jets!

I’m in. I’m on the Jets bandwagon. I’ve been carrying Fireman Ed on my shoulders all over Pittsburgh, and let me tell you, he’s heavier than he looks.

The Jets are fun. The Jets have a coach who says what he thinks without regard for the consequences. The Jets lack self-importance. They do backflips in the end zone.

Oh, and the Jets have fans who have suffered for years, just like Red Sox fans up until 2004.

If you are a Patriots fan still smarting from the shocker last Sunday, you should be rooting for the Jets tonight. The better the Jets do, the more the Patriots will be driven to beat them. If the Jets win the AFC Championship at Heinz Field, perhaps the Krafts will be inspired to spend a little more money on payroll next year (are we supposed to feel good that the Patriots have the third-lowest payroll in the NFL?).

Maybe New England will stop trading down to get “value’’ for high draft picks. Maybe New England will seek more talent. Maybe the Patriots will go for broke next year, while Tom Brady is still at the height of his powers.

So, yes, the Jets are my team. I hope they go on to win the Super Bowl in Dallas in two weeks. Perhaps that will motivate people back at Patriot Place.

Imagine the noise next year when the Super Bowl champion Jets come to Gillette Stadium. That game will be so big Wes Welker might actually get to start.

What’s not to love about Rex Ryan? The big fella wears sleeveless sweater vests and his heart on his sleeve. He is a man with no filter. He tells his players they are the best. He tells them they are champs, even after they sometimes play (and behave) like chumps. If Rex coached your Little League team, you know he’d take everyone out for ice cream after every game, win or lose.

Here’s the headline Sports Illustrated slapped on last week’s Jets-Patriots game story: “Fun Marches On.’’

That’s right. Fun. The Jets are all about fun. And now they have a chance to go to the Super Bowl for the first time since Joe Willie Namath guaranteed victory in Miami in 1969.

How can you root against a team with a general manager who was a Needham Rocket and a UMass Minuteman? Mike Tannenbaum grew up watching Bob Lobel on Channel 4 and reading Bob Ryan on these pages. He is one of us.

How can you root against a team with Dennis Byrd? The former Jets defensive end was temporarily paralyzed during a 1992 game, but he returned to deliver a motivational speech in Foxborough last weekend. His tattered jersey hangs in the Jets locker room. Byrd will accompany Jets captains to midfield tonight for the ceremonial coin toss.

OK, the Jets have a few players who lack class. Let’s try to remember the good-guy Jets — like Curtis Martin, an ex-Patriot who turned out to be the greatest running back in Jets history.

The Jets are so hot at this hour that HBO2 aired a five-hour “Hard Knocks’’ marathon yesterday from 3-8. It was another chance to see the Jets eating cheeseburgers at practice, to see when Danny Woodhead was a Jet.

You should root for the Jets because they are homeless. For years the Jets played their home games at Giants Stadium. Officially, they are the New York Jets, but they’re more like the Queens Jets, the Long Island Jets, or the Jets from the Swamps of New Jersey. They tried to gather fans for a rally in Times Square Thursday, but not even Fireman Ed (Edwin M. Anzalone) could stop traffic in midtown Manhattan. There will be no Canyon of Heroes for these guys.

If none of these arguments bring you around, you should root for the Jets tonight because you don’t want to root for the Steelers. The Steelers and their fans are babies. By any definition, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a boor. If he wins tonight, he’s going to his third Super Bowl, and that’s going to start talk of comparisons with Brady.

The Steelers have won two Super Bowls since the last time the Patriots won one. You want to see them go for a third?

No. You want the Jets.

It’s not as stupid as it sounds. Really.

What kind of woman has sex with Dan Shaughnessy? He's got that Ronald McDonald afro and the puffed-out facial features of an alcoholic who's managed to survive a lifetime of unrelenting loneliness. He must look like a cherry tomato having an asthma attack. Nasty.

I think he legitimately means this. I don't know why he would feel this way but I think his intention is to show that the Jets winning should add more motivation to the Pats organization which will be better for them in the long run.

I do too Berg...hey as much as we have hated the Pats over the past decade there is still some kind of a kinship between us-it's like they really are our northern cousins-we like so many of them as people ya know? One of my best friends down here is a Pats fan and he said I hope you guys win it-you deserve it-we've had ours. I remember how when I worked at a great bar called Boston's On The Beach in Delray how I would say to Bob the cook I hope if it's not the Yankees that you guys win it-you deserve it....now it IS a lot different between us and the Dolphins-that's like the Hatfields and McCoys

I think he legitimately means this. I don't know why he would feel this way but I think his intention is to show that the Jets winning should add more motivation to the Pats organization which will be better for them in the long run.

Yep. I love how he sites the retired now for what 50 years, Curtis Martin (an ex patriot) as one of the remaining Jets who still have class. Does he somehow think he's being clever, lol?

**** this guy and snide ways. I dont want any chump Patsy rooting for my team.

**** EM ALL.

Its on to the Steelers.

Lets Go Jets!

Dude look at it from our perspective.

It is like being faced with the choice of banging Rosie O'Donnell or Kathy Bates. Not much of a choice.

Which ever team we lean towards, we throw up in our mouth a little bit every minute.

Dude look at it from our perspective.

It is like being faced with the choice of banging Rosie O'Donnell or Kathy Bates. Not much of a choice.

Which ever team we lean towards, we throw up in our mouth a little bit every minute.

**** your sh*tty Patriot perspective.

Root for the Steelers.

The Steelers and their fans are babies. By any definition, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a boor. If he wins tonight, he’s going to his third Super Bowl, and that’s going to start talk of comparisons with Brady.

Wow to all of this. Patriots fans are the worst people in the world.

Hate to break it to you all, but Shaughnessy is the biggest azzclown on the planet.

Good luck today, boys and gals. Who to root for??? A serial date rapist or a man that likes seeing his wife gang banged....'gotta go with the banger....at least its consensual. ;)

Hate to break it to you all, but Shaughnessy is the biggest azzclown on the planet.

Good luck today, boys and gals. Who to root for??? A serial date rapist or a man that likes seeing his wife gang banged....'gotta go with the banger....at least its consensual. ;)

Date? Did he pick her up at home , meet the folks and give her a corsage?

He should be in Jail.

Amen. Patriot fans, I BEG OF YOU, please GFY. Nobody gives a sh*t who you root for. Just STFU and go hide in your new hole.

Er, cept you Garb, you're cool, ah sorta. Everyone else, GFY.

Amen. Patriot fans, I BEG OF YOU, please GFY. Nobody gives a sh*t who you root for. Just STFU and go hide in your new hole.

btw, Shaughnessy hates football. He is a baseball guy through and through. The creator of that damned cottage industry - Curse of the Bambino. Made a windfall off of that nonsense.

So, don't fall for his bs. Not that you should give a hoot as Mr. Hess so eloquently stated. LOL!

Good luck to most of you though. I mean that. Today should be a ton of fun.

Thank you.

F'ing Pats fan. Think they are relevant when they arent even playing. Unreal. Like anybody gives a **** who these sh*t heads are rooting for...like we should feel sorry for them because they have to choose a team they dont like. Poor Pats fan.. These people are unreal...why they think they are so important is beyond me.

**** them and their Patriot way. We dont give a ****.

Go Jets.

Thank you.

F'ing Pats fan. Think they are relevant when they arent even playing. Unreal. Like anybody gives a **** who these sh*t heads are rooting for...like we should feel sorry for them because they have to choose a team they dont like. Poor Pats fan.. These people are unreal...why they think they are so important is beyond me.

**** them and their Patriot way. We dont give a ****.

Go Jets.

...geez, saying g'luck is being self-important now? You really need to get a grip. I have some actual friends here - obviousy not you - and I wish them well. It's a big, exciting day for them. Go ride a wave or something....your anxiety is making you surlier than usual. :)

...geez, saying g'luck is being self-important now? You really need to get a grip. I have some actual friends here - obviousy not you - and I wish them well. It's a big, exciting day for them. Go ride a wave or something....your anxiety is making you surlier than usual. :)

thanks Tee-I like almost every single one of the Pats fans who post here and the Fins fans for that matter

Archived