Denver Post - Melo to Knicks a Done Deal

Bergen Jet

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still a name and a good defender though. Best case scenario is Donnie flips him to someone dumb for a pick or Pryzbilla. The whole "this kid was right on the cusp until the injury problems" angle should be a good play.

Can't do it for Pryzbilla. He makes more ($7.4m) than the $4.73m they can take back in a Brewer trade, since he can't be combined in a deal and the Knicks don't have a TPE to use.

Without trading another rotation player (ie. Walker/TD/Shawne Williams) to go with Azubuike/Mason/Rautins, they'd have to move Turiaf in a deal to get Pryzbilla - neither of which would make sense for them.

They'd be better off hoping for a veteran buyout of someone like Dalembert.

Can't do it for Pryzbilla. He makes more ($7.4m) than the $4.73m they can take back in a Brewer trade, since he can't be combined in a deal and the Knicks don't have a TPE to use.

Without trading another rotation player (ie. Walker/TD/Shawne Williams) to go with Azubuike/Mason/Rautins, they'd have to move Turiaf in a deal to get Pryzbilla - neither of which would make sense for them.

They'd be better off hoping for a veteran buyout of someone like Dalembert.

Yeah, Dalembert's been the word on Knick boards too. Considering a Mason/Brewer package is pretty much all we've got to offer at this point, and I guess that helps support that idea as well.

Yeah, Dalembert's been the word on Knick boards too. Considering a Mason/Brewer package is pretty much all we've got to offer at this point, which I guess helps support that idea as well.

Yeah, like I said, dealing Brewer for another player is going to be tough as, given the required parameters (short deal for under $4.75m), you eliminate just about any team in contention, since anyone that fits the bill is probably a mroe important cog than Brewer would be. If you look at the bottom-feeders' rosters, there aren't many veteran-types that fit in a deal either. Even a complete slouch like Thabeet makes $60k too much this year to make the money work.

From a contract and value (as in, they have little to their current team) standpoint, guys that fit include Stuckey and Yi Jianlian, but who wants a guy that makes Brewer look like Hubert Davis in comparison, or a 7-footer who can't rebound?

Would note you could probably word for word get the same posts and news stories form the day they acquired Stephon Marbury, and simply swap out Marbury for Anthony; therw would be zero change otherwise. How did that turn out?

Marbury had all the talent in the world, maybe more than any pg i've ever seen. But he decided to self-destruct and eat vasoline. As long as Melo doesn't go crazy, he'll be what marbury should have been for the knicks. Not to mention Stevie Franchise or Curry is no Amar'e.

Because Anthony Randolph, from what I understand, isn't injury-prone. And I just think that he has a lot more potential. From the few times I've watched him, he's made smart plays, is very athletic, and he has great size.

As for being a Knicks hater, I don't hate the Knicks. The only teams I hate are the Lakers (cause I like Boston) and the Heat (cause I HATE Lebron's attitude [but I respect Wade, because he reminds me of Pierce]). The Knicks honestly aren't good enough to hate...I just honestly don't feel threatened by them, even after this trade.

There's absolutely no way you've watched Anthony Randolph play if you follow it up with he makes "smart plays." Being a huge LSU fan and Knicks' fan, I can easily say that he is one of the dumbest players in the league as far as BBIQ goes. You're right, he has otherworldy potential and athletic ability, but you can't play in this system and not have a sound knowledge of floor-spacing and how plays develop.

There's absolutely no way you've watched Anthony Randolph play if you follow it up with he makes "smart plays." Being a huge LSU fan and Knicks' fan, I can easily say that he is one of the dumbest players in the league as far as BBIQ goes. You're right, he has otherworldy potential and athletic ability, but you can't play in this system and not have a sound knowledge of floor-spacing and how plays develop.

Lol at splitting hairs over a guy that's played 25 minutes since Dec 1st vs. Corey ******* Brewer. Best argument ever.

I think Falcon just says things to say things...like Rose is overrated.

I'm not calling him a liar, but I highly doubt he's seen enough of Randolph to make any profound statement on his ability. Mostly because he's barely played as a Knick and honestly, who's watched a Golden State Warriors game in the state of FL?

Brewer will be a pleasant surprise. He's a very good defender and I think he fits the system well, unlike Randolph.

There's absolutely no way you've watched Anthony Randolph play if you follow it up with he makes "smart plays." Being a huge LSU fan and Knicks' fan, I can easily say that he is one of the dumbest players in the league as far as BBIQ goes.

Nice job. I saw that and meant to comment on it, but got into trade mode and completely forgot.

I'm not calling him a liar, but I highly doubt he's seen enough of Randolph to make any profound statement on his ability. Mostly because he's barely played as a Knick and honestly, who's watched a Golden State Warriors game in the state of FL?

Brewer will be a pleasant surprise. He's a very good defender and I think he fits the system well, unlike Randolph.

I was going to ask Falcon what it feels like to smoke crack but thought that might be construed as mean.

Your sig pic almost lasted an entire season

Man, I was so excited to get him originally, but I don't think I've ever seen a guy look that lost when he was on the court for over a minute. "Smart plays" and Anthony Randolph don't belong in the same sentence. All the ability in the world, but the guy is dumb as sh*t and flat-out lazy on the floor. Like really dude, it's not that hard to realize that when you're a twig you can't be giving up that much space in the post, or that you can't base your entire offensive game on off-balance turn around jumpers when you can't shoot.

I don't even live in FL...

Billups was in 5 straight all-star games going into THIS season. He is more than adequate to replace Felton and their contracts expire at the same time. Felton was a short term rental. Chandler was walking at the end of the year. Melo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gallo. They kept Fields. Curry's contract was being traded anyway. Timofey is a major project who I like but he will never be a dominate player in this league. Anthony Randolph has unfulfilled potential. Corey Brewer has upside and was the 7th pick in the draft coming up on 4 years ago. We are going to get something for him this week.

Knicks win this trade by a mile. Denver should be praised for getting some useful parts and not losing the entire franchise by letting their star walk, nothing more and nothing less.

Unfortunately Father Time has caught up with Billups.

I want him to succeed as much as the next guy, but very doubtful if he can play at the All Star level of the past.

Grant you he won in his 1 season at Syracuse, and he is a 6'8" forward rather than a shot first PG. But same idea-shot his way out of town for a big contract(all this home stuff is hooey; he would've signed Denver's offer if this trade didn't happen), doesn't take to coaching, doesn't appear to be a workout fanatic, has a hood rat reputation, hasn't won anything in the pros,comes with a huge enoturage of hangers on, doesn't play defense.This whole mess will only inflate an already overgrown ego.Readily expect he will average 20+ a night, and the Knicks will win enough vs. the dregs to get in the playoffs. But that's about it.

LOL @ comparing Marbury to Melo.

Melo has been in the NBA 8 seasons and has never been on a losing team. In Marbury's first 8 seasons he had a winning record twice.

BTW, what you're saying about Melo can be said about many other top NBA players including Amare. I bet you were one of those who said the Knicks should have re-signed Lee rather than Amare because it would be the same thing.

That was awesome. Amare fouling out and someone left on the court to still carry us to the win. Say what you want about a slow start but he was fantastic down the stretch with those two buckets. Great, great Garden debut. Welcome to NY Melo.

I wouldn't say great....moderate....still only had 27 points on 25 shots....

I wouldn't say great....moderate....still only had 27 points on 25 shots....

So what? The Knicks won in large part because of Melo's 11 points in the 4th, including 4 huge points in the last 45 seconds.

He was off on his shot which is obvious. That happens to EVERY great player.

So what? The Knicks won in large part because of Melo's 11 points in the 4th, including 4 huge points in the last 45 seconds.

He was off on his shot which is obvious. That happens to EVERY great player.

This was his first game with a new team in a completely foreign system which always takes a while to gel and he still played great down the stretch and was a big reason they won even after Amare fouled out. The celtics bandwaggoner is just hating.

This was his first game with a new team in a completely foreign system which always takes a while to gel and he still played great down the stretch and was a big reason they won even after Amare fouled out. The celtics bandwaggoner is just hating.

The "system" has nothing to do with him going 10-25...

25 shots, only made 10, and only had 27 points on those 25 shots....bad debut

I really dont mean to be rude, but I dont think you know what you are talking about. Like SMC said, 11 points in the 4th during a close game, with 2 huge buckets at the end to seal the deal is a great debut. In fact, it was the 3rd best in terms of point total ever for a Knick. He also had 10 boards and throw in 2 steals...not to mention he played 39 minutes with only 3 available guys on the bench....all in a new system which he had 2 days to learn....and dont tell me the system doesnt have anything to do with a bad shooting night.

So you are saying a double double debut with clutch scoring toward the end, in victory, is a bad debut? :blink:

Dude, seriously?

The "system" has nothing to do with him going 10-25..

Saying that makes me know for a fact, that you either dont play hoops or if you do, you certainly are not a shooter.

Shooting is all about familiarity, where you are going to receive it, when is the shot open, where is the ball coming from, where will the pressure be coming from on specific plays, how to get open on certain plays, who's your next option etc. Its all about the system and its why some shooters thrive in one system and fail in another. The more comfortable and familiar you are, the less you are forcing and worrying about everything else. One you've settled in, the game comes to you again.

Its not like Melo is a set shooter who just floats around the perimeter waiting for the open look. If that was the case, then you'd have a point.

Archived