Denver Post - Melo to Knicks a Done Deal

Bergen Jet

Getting the better of the deal and "given the circumstances" are two very different things. Just because the Knicks could and should have given up less does not mean that the Nuggets got the better of the deal. Karl saying they "got the most they could get" does not mean that a bunch of role players suddenly are better value than Anthony.

Everyone thrives in D'Antoni's system. Everybody puts up bigger numbers. Billups is a problem because he seems to be breaking down, but he'll do fine if he holds up.

You paid the $55?

That's a big IF!

I have seen him play the past few seasons. And this season he seems to have regressed!

On the other hand Nuggets for a 3 surefire starters, a 7 footer with potential and 3 draft picks.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw every minute he played. Trust me, they won't regret trading him for a second. And Billups is the PG for the team AVG'ing the most points per game in the NBA. I'm not too worried about him.

Let me also say that while we all really liked Ray Felton, he was on a short term deal and the chances of them bringing him back were pretty minimal.

Felton was good value and our bridge to Paul. Now its hoping Billups lasts the duration.

Knicks just took a huge step back....gave up their entire future for a team that won't win a championship. Yes, they have 2 superstars, but no supporting cast in a conference that is full of depth...HORRIBLE move by the Knicks....

your knicks were 28-26 with that "future of the team" lol

Did we only give up Chandler and Gallo ? That would be a great trade if that was true!

Billups was in 5 straight all-star games going into THIS season. He is more than adequate to replace Felton and their contracts expire at the same time. Felton was a short term rental. Chandler was walking at the end of the year. Melo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gallo. They kept Fields. Curry's contract was being traded anyway. Timofey is a major project who I like but he will never be a dominate player in this league. Anthony Randolph has unfulfilled potential. Corey Brewer has upside and was the 7th pick in the draft coming up on 4 years ago. We are going to get something for him this week.

Knicks win this trade by a mile. Denver should be praised for getting some useful parts and not losing the entire franchise by letting their star walk, nothing more and nothing less.

I'd take Randolph over Brewer any day...

Really? Why?

They both have been big time underachievers at this point. And Randolph couldnt work his way out of a wet paper bag this season. Brewer is at least starting to come into his own and is valuable when healthy.

Would note you could probably word for word get the same posts and news stories form the day they acquired Stephon Marbury, and simply swap out Marbury for Anthony; therw would be zero change otherwise. How did that turn out?

Melo is 50x the player Marbury is though

Really? Why?

They both have been big time underachievers at this point. And Randolph couldnt work his way out of a wet paper bag this season. Brewer is at least starting to come into his own and is valuable when healthy.

Because Anthony Randolph, from what I understand, isn't injury-prone. And I just think that he has a lot more potential. From the few times I've watched him, he's made smart plays, is very athletic, and he has great size.

As for being a Knicks hater, I don't hate the Knicks. The only teams I hate are the Lakers (cause I like Boston) and the Heat (cause I HATE Lebron's attitude [but I respect Wade, because he reminds me of Pierce]). The Knicks honestly aren't good enough to hate...I just honestly don't feel threatened by them, even after this trade.

Because Anthony Randolph, from what I understand, isn't injury-prone. And I just think that he has a lot more potential. From the few times I've watched him, he's made smart plays, is very athletic, and he has great size.

Well, he did miss the entire first half of last season with an injury, so I'm not sure if he's injury prone or not.

And I'm not calling you a liar, but when have you watched Randolph play? I've seen maybe 3 Golden State Warrior games in my life time...lol. Its not like they get a lot of coverage and knowing you live in South Florida, my guess is you havent seen that many more of their games then me considering I'm in FL too and if you have seen any of their games, he barely played.

And this season, he's rarely seen the court playing in less than 20 games. And when he does, he's far from anything you are saying he is above. In fact, he's look totally lost when he's on the floor and he really doesnt fit in D'Antoni's system...at all. Cory Brewer is really a very nice fit for the system with his versatility and ability to run the floor.

Melo is 50x the player Marbury is though

Grant you he won in his 1 season at Syracuse, and he is a 6'8" forward rather than a shot first PG. But same idea-shot his way out of town for a big contract(all this home stuff is hooey; he would've signed Denver's offer if this trade didn't happen), doesn't take to coaching, doesn't appear to be a workout fanatic, has a hood rat reputation, hasn't won anything in the pros,comes with a huge enoturage of hangers on, doesn't play defense.This whole mess will only inflate an already overgrown ego.Readily expect he will average 20+ a night, and the Knicks will win enough vs. the dregs to get in the playoffs. But that's about it.

Gasol might not be a franchise cornerstone

Of course he is.

Cory Brewer is going to be the steal of this trade.

Brewer is a stiff. I think Williams is okay. Mozgov has size and athleticism and potential and stuff but he can't actually do anything but finish at the rim on the rare occasion when he actually catches the goddamn ball, which isn't exactly a skill we have a whole lot of use for with two volume scorers on the roster anyway. Williams can at least rebound. We upgraded three positions in the rotation for the cost of Chandler, and while we don't have a real sixth man to replace him we can still plug in a couple guys shooting about 40%3P/60%TS. There doesn't really need to be a steal for this to be a clear win on talent. The cost is more an issue of limited flexibility than of the players we gave up.

Grant you he won in his 1 season at Syracuse, and he is a 6'8" forward rather than a shot first PG. But same idea-shot his way out of town for a big contract(all this home stuff is hooey; he would've signed Denver's offer if this trade didn't happen), doesn't take to coaching, doesn't appear to be a workout fanatic, has a hood rat reputation, hasn't won anything in the pros,comes with a huge enoturage of hangers on, doesn't play defense.This whole mess will only inflate an already overgrown ego.Readily expect he will average 20+ a night, and the Knicks will win enough vs. the dregs to get in the playoffs. But that's about it.

The only thing that really has any effect on his game is his defense. All the other stuff doesnt matter, the guy can score better than everyone in the NBA save Durant. And we knew he doesn't play D already....but that's on D'Antoni, who right now, is by far the teams biggest problem.

Brewer is a stiff.

A stiff as in he sucks or a stiff as in he doesnt have athleticism?

Brewer is a shooting guard who cant shoot.

But he's not a SG...thats not his game. He played the SF in college and thats where he's best suited. He's not a shooter, he's a guy who can do a lot of things on the move, but not quite a swing man. Not to mention, he's an outstanding perimeter defender.

I think he fits this system pretty well and he's going to surprise a lot of people. Like I said, this partially homerific and partly that I really think he'll find a niche in this system.

A stiff as in he sucks or a stiff as in he doesnt have athleticism?

But he's not a SG...thats not his game. He played the SF in college and thats where he's best suited. He's not a shooter, he's a guy who can do a lot of things on the move, but not quite a swing man. Not to mention, he's an outstanding perimeter defender.

I think he fits this system pretty well and he's going to surprise a lot of people. Like I said, this partially homerific and partly that I really think he'll find a niche in this system.

You don't think they'll use him to pick up someone else before the deadline?

Of course he is.

I actually agree, but didn't want to have to argue the point. He's a top-10 player and a model of efficiency. And clearly, he should have been the Finals MVP last year.

The cost is more an issue of limited flexibility than of the players we gave up.

That has been my contention with the "who cares who we gave up" crowd to begin with.

You don't think they'll use him to pick up someone else before the deadline?

As a player acquired by a team that is over the cap, Brewer can't be combined with other players in a deal for 2 months, which obviously is beyond the deadline. Since his expiring deal isn't sizable ($3.7m), they could try to combine him with cash in a deal, but to make it work with the cap, they can't acquire anyone making more than $4.73m this season. The options are pretty limited, since they'll want to try to avoid bringing back a deal that goes beyond next season, as they'll have to worry about moving that contract at some point as well.

Archived