Revis says mistake to let Cro walk

visajets

"When the Jets' season ended, Darrelle Revis made it quite clear that he wants the team to re-sign his cornerback partner, Antonio Cromartie, whose contract is expiring. Just recently, the NFL Network reported that the Jets probably will let Cromartie walk. That, Revis said, would be a mistake.

"I mean, yeah, the type of player he is, I feel he’s one of the best in the league," Revis told ESPNNewYork.com by phone before his appearance at ESPN the Weekend at Hollywood Studios in Orlando. "I can only do so much. I can go tell Rex (Ryan) we need this guy on the team, and Rex knows that as well. Rex knows we need the guy, but with the contract situation, the (team) has to do what’s best for them and the player has to do what’s best for him."

If Cromartie leaves via free agency, Revis said he'd like the Jets to replace him with Raiders star Nnamdi Asomugha, who also will be a free agent -- maybe the biggest free agent on the market.

"Anybody coming in, if Cro isn’t on the team, would have to fill some big shoes," said Revis, adding that he would "vouch" for Asomugha. "It could be Nnamdi, it could be anybody. We just have to wait that out to see if that situation comes up. If it doesn’t … we’re fine with Cro. There’s no problem with Cromartie. He’s a great player."

Asked if second-year cornerback Kyle Wilson could handle the job after struggling as a rookie, Revis didn't exactly give a ringing endorsement.

"I don’t know, we’ll see," he said. "He had a learning curve this season. He gained a lot of experience from what he learned, so we’ll see."

As for the labor situation, Revis said he has a lockout plan: He's planning to invite the defensive backs to Arizona, where he trains every offseason at a sports-performance center.

"I’ve been talking to a couple of players and we’re trying to figure out what we’re going to do, working out-wise," Revis said. "I know Mark (Sanchez) always takes the receivers out to California. What I’m going to try to do is get the DBs out there to Arizona."

Problem is, he might have trouble coming up with enough bodies, considering five key members of the secondary will be free agents.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool. If the Jets can convince Cro to sign for the vet minimum, Revis can make up the difference between that number and Cromartie's market value by dipping into his fat bank account.

When the best CB in the league speaks people should listen. He sees and knows what Cro does for this team and him.

Thats exactly what he did do in the 2010 season. Or did I miss something.... :rolleyes:

Just the month or so leading up to the season but other than that you didn't miss a thing.

If Cromartie leaves via free agency, Revis said he'd like the Jets to replace him with Raiders star Nnamdi Asomugha, who also will be a free agent -- maybe the biggest free agent on the market.

"Then", Revis said, "if we cant get Asomugha, I want them to change the rules so all eligible receivers have to wear swim fins instead of cleats" ....... what a delusional dikhead ...

Even if true, in what way does that qualify him to run his mouth about Jets personnel decisions? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't.

Running his mouth, because hes supporting another team mate who he doesnt want to see play elsewhere. Grow some buddy.

Revis is the best CB in the NFL. I cant believe the disrespect he gets here from NYJETS fans. :angry:

It is hard to believe. You wait for years to get a player who is a game-changing force, and when we finally get him the fans find one excuse after another to find fault.

Now they're mad because he publicly supports his teammate?

So he shouldn't say that he would like his friend and teammate back? Teams win.

Properly constructed teams win. Something Revis has no clue about, other than to rattle off names of people he would like to play with, regardless the CAP situation, or proper fit for the team.

Yes, teams win. And being a part of a team is knowing your place and responsibility, and allowing others to do their job, while you understand yours.

Revis has seemingly forgotten his role. As well, he has seemingly forgotten that he has placed the TEAM in a less advantageous position, by some of his own actions.

Even if true, in what way does that qualify him to run his mouth about Jets personnel decisions? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't.

All players have teammates they don't want to lose, or friends in the league that they'd like to have as teammates. You hear comments like this around the league every year. This hardly qualifies as running his mouth. It's not like he referred to Mike Tannenbaum as Chaim Levine or anything. Mangold grumbled about losing Faneca last year, was he out of line?

All players have teammates they don't want to lose, or friends in the league that they'd like to have as teammates. You hear comments like this around the league every year. This hardly qualifies as running his mouth. It's not like he referred to Mike Tannenbaum as Chaim Levine or anything. Mangold grumbled about losing Faneca last year, was he out of line?

Revis is speaking from a defensive perspective and the strength of the secondary with Cro at the opposite CB. He didnt say anything deragatory towards the team,coaches or Tanne. Thats just the way the haters see things.

What Revis did was puts this all on the FO, which is not fair. His comment "Rex knows we need him" is meant to show that this is the players and Rex vs the front office in a game of chicken.

That is out of line. I seriously doubt that the FO will be divided with Rex.

Revis seems to fail to realize that the Jets have to do what is best for the TEAM short and long term, and not what is best for the secondary.

What Revis did was puts this all on the FO, which is not fair. His comment "Rex knows we need him" is meant to show that this is the players and Rex vs the front office in a game of chicken.

That is out of line. I seriously doubt that the FO will be divided with Rex.

Revis seems to fail to realize that the Jets have to do what is best for the TEAM short and long term, and not what is best for the secondary.

So when the Jets let Faneca go, Mangold was out of line? How many Jets were out of line when they let Leon go? :rolleyes:

What specifically did they say?

Did they say that "Rex wanted the player" and it worked otherwise.

That's what Revis has done. he is speaking for other people.

It's no big mystery that our defense has the potential to be worse without Cromartie. I believe that's what Revis is saying. It seems like you're making a pretty significant leap assuming that Cro is easily replaced. I disagree.

It's no big mystery that our defense has the potential to be worse without Cromartie. I believe that's what Revis is saying. It seems like you're making a pretty significant leap assuming that Cro is easily replaced. I disagree.

Agreed and repped. :D

Did anyone actually read the quotes or the interview before they had a moral sh*tfit about what some reporter says he said in a title. I know and understand the trust you guys all have for reporters never exaggerating a thing to sell a story and everything...But still, I think those of you outraged by what was "said" should actually see what was said first.

--He said he would "vouch" for Nnamdi....DUH, who wouldn't?

--He said he hopes Cro resigns with the Jets because hes a good player and doesnt want him to play elsewhere...But at the end of the day, the NFL is a business and the player and team both have to do what they feel is in their best interest.... What was he supposed to say?

--He said Wilson had a learning curve this year and got a lot of good experience learning from Cro and Revis, and that 'we'll see' about him being ready to step up and be a starter should Cro depart....What an a-hole!!

--He said he wants to take the DBs out to Az to work out at a facility this summer... Selfish Prick, I tell ya!!!

Did anyone actually read the quotes or the interview before they had a moral sh*tfit about what some reporter says he said in a title. I know and understand the trust you guys all have for reporters never exaggerating a thing to sell a story and everything...But still, I think those of you outraged by what was "said" should actually see what was said first.

--He said he would "vouch" for Nnamdi....DUH, who wouldn't?

--He said he hopes Cro resigns with the Jets because hes a good player and doesnt want him to play elsewhere...But at the end of the day, the NFL is a business and the player and team both have to do what they feel is in their best interest.... What was he supposed to say?

--He said Wilson had a learning curve this year and got a lot of good experience learning from Cro and Revis, and that 'we'll see' about him being ready to step up and be a starter should Cro depart....What an a-hole!!

--He said he wants to take the DBs out to Az to work out at a facility this summer... Selfish Prick, I tell ya!!!

WRONG WRONG AND WRONG....Revis wants to WIN...........

Such is life in the NFL. You can't pay EVERYONE. Revis helped assure that himself. This is not fantasy football

Such is life in the NFL. You can't pay EVERYONE. Revis helped assure that himself. This is not fantasy football

So the best player in the NFL got a big contract and you've somehow confused that with Cro getting cut? Your lack of NFL knowledge is astounding! Perhaps you'd be better suited commenting on a site that is geared to your true passions like an "American Idol" or "Real Housewives" message board?

Gholston really hurt this team. It is hard to imagine how good they would have been if he turned out to be what they expected of him. Now a pass rusher is the team's biggest need. If Kyle Wilson turns out to be another bust, that will also be very troubling. If anyone had any confidence in him (and Revis's comments show no one does), we would not even be talking about Cro. One year, nice job, thank you, good-bye - we are set with Wilson taking over. Doesn't look like that is the answer. This sucks.

You have to make every first round pick count.

Gholston really hurt this team. It is hard to imagine how good they would have been if he turned out to be what they expected of him. Now a pass rusher is the team's biggest need. If Kyle Wilson turns out to be another bust, that will also be very troubling. If anyone had any confidence in him (and Revis's comments show no one does), we would not even be talking about Cro. One year, nice job, thank you, good-bye - we are set with Wilson taking over. Doesn't look like that is the answer. This sucks.

You have to make every first round pick count.

I dont consider Wilson to suck. He was good in the dime. He just doesnt have the cover cormer skills that Cro does yet.

Archived