Chansi Stuckey not tendered

BroadwayJ667

Browns declined to tender WR Chansi Stuckey, making him an unrestricted free agent.

A Mangini era holdover, the 27-year-old Stuckey caught 40 balls for 346 yards last season. His complete lack of playmaking ability shows up in his yards per reception average (8.7) and touchdown total (zero). The Browns, hopefully, will try to get faster in the receiver corps this offseason.

Mangini screwed that team up so badly. In his one year in charge he handed our team Mark Sanchez and Braylon Edwards. He gave away the picks to keep moving down that turned into Josh Freeman and Jeremy Maclin, both potential stars. The Browns received:

Jason Trusnik (Backup LB/Special Teamer)

Chansi Stuckey (Released 2011)

Kenyon Coleman (Released 2011)

Abram Elam (free agent)

Alex Mack (Starter, Pro Bowl Quality Center)

David Veikune (Released 2010)

Coye Francies (Released 2010/practice squad addition/re-signed late 2010)

James Davis (Released 2010)

Shawn Lauvau (Backup guard)

Larry Asante (Released 2010)

So all that brilliant plotting by the Mangenius netted him a pretty good center, a backup guard, a special team linebacker and 10 wins while the Jets went to 2 AFC Title games, the Bucs look to have a franchise QB, and the Eagles a 1000 yard receiver. Its likely that by the time the season begins the only holdovers left in Cleveland will be Mack and Lauvau. You have to feel for the Browns fans for having to deal with him.

Mangini screwed that team up so badly. In his one year in charge he handed our team Mark Sanchez and Braylon Edwards. He gave away the picks to keep moving down that turned into Josh Freeman and Jeremy Maclin, both potential stars. The Browns received:

Abram Elam (free agent)

So all that brilliant plotting by the Mangenius netted him a pretty good center, a backup guard, a special team linebacker and 10 wins while the Jets went to 2 AFC Title games, the Bucs look to have a franchise QB, and the Eagles a 1000 yard receiver. Its likely that by the time the season begins the only holdovers left in Cleveland will be Mack and Lauvau. You have to feel for the Browns fans for having to deal with him.

Mangini didn't do such a bad job here personnel-wise as I remember it. His shortcomings lie elsewhere, and were significant, but honestly he didn't sh*t the bed when adding and subtracting players like Herm did. That's a dude who had no clue. Perhaps the Browns needed a better GM?

Abram Elam (free agent)

But he just needs more time! He had one good season here! He's still young!

Mangini didn't do such a bad job here personnel-wise as I remember it. His shortcomings lie elsewhere, and were significant, but honestly he didn't sh*t the bed when adding and subtracting players like Herm did. That's a dude who had no clue. Perhaps the Browns needed a better GM?

Didn't their GM have a nervous breakdown? Not to defend Mangini, but I think his idea was to flush out the malcontents (KW2, Braylon) and replace them with his dreaded "character guys." That always made me puke when he was here, and it's one of his major failings. If you're going to succeed as an NFL coach, you're going to have to figure out how to tolerate at least 5 to 10 outright sociopaths on your team.

Didn't their GM have a nervous breakdown? Not to defend Mangini, but I think his idea was to flush out the malcontents (KW2, Braylon) and replace them with his dreaded "character guys." That always made me puke when he was here, and it's one of his major failings. If you're going to succeed as an NFL coach, you're going to have to figure out how to tolerate at least 5 to 10 outright sociopaths on your team.

Nobody complains about having sociopaths on the team. NFL players are generally homicidal maniacs - like Floyd Little. The important thing is having homicidal maniacs that will not kill you, but will kill for you. I know that Elam had some serious allegations and an arrest at Notre Dame. Sometimes it's important to get rid of the bad character guys because they keep the others from running through a wall for you. Favre wasn't exactly a high character guy. OTOH, I am with you, I prefer the Al Davis "Just win baby!" philosophy.

I actually thought he and Sanchez had good chemistry and timing in their short time together in '09. Just watch that post pattern for 6 in week 1 against Houston, that was a beauty. Sign him back and let him compete for a 4th wr spot.

Abram Elam (free agent)

+ Shyteload of cap room.

I actually thought he and Sanchez had good chemistry and timing in their short time together in '09. Just watch that post pattern for 6 in week 1 against Houston, that was a beauty. Sign him back and let him compete for a 4th wr spot.

Edwards-Holmes-Cotchery-Turner 4th WR?

If he cant play special teams he isnt playing here.

Let's not forget that if we had stayed put and not traded up for Sanchez WE could have had Josh Freeman.

+1

I actually think that short term it hurt Sanchez losing him. I expected it to anyway, but Edwards had that monster game against Miami when they started slumping, so I forgot about it.

Edwards-Holmes-Cotchery-Turner 4th WR?

If he cant play special teams he isnt playing here.

Only two of those guys is under contract and one of those sucks. Who the **** is Patick Turner that you are handing him a roster spot? FWIW I think Stuckey has some punt return experience. Preseason jets, I'm not sure about with the Browns. He played some cover teams, but I don't remember him being particularly good though. He won't necessarily have to replace Smith/Wallace Wright role because McKnight and Cole seem ready to fill that and they should have extra roster spots. There will be one less FB. There is a decent chance that there will be one less OLineman with Ducasse being the backup OT and Woody or Hunter being gone. Gholston had a roster spot that might not be replaced and they may have one less TE with Hartsock being cut - they carried Cumberland all last year as a project and he will probably have to contribute next year. Most teams carry more wR than the Jets did in 2010.

Abram Elam (free agent)

Also moving Kellen Winslow for a mid-2nd round pick (Mohamed Massaquoi) that year and a 5th rounder a year later (which they used in a 3-for-1 trade-up).

Where are the pics? I thought you had a Holmes jersey, or was that a Pennington?

Pics? ;)

2ql8l0z.jpg

Braylon is so dreamy <3 :P :P :P :P

I have Santonio Holmes & Keller as well.

I also have Favre & Moss but those are buried deep in some random draw in a room I never use lol

Nice where did you get the jerseys?

A friend of mine ( Giants fan) works @ Reebok. He lost a bet ( Jets/Pats), that was what I won! :P

If I had lost the bet I wouldve had to walk around in an Ahmad Bradshaw jersey for a month *throws up*

Ahmad Bradshaw? He's a midget. You're midriff would be bare!

LOL LOL.

I kinda like Bradshaw. Other than his penchant for putting the ball on the ground multiple times, we have the same birthday/birth year. So he's cool in my book. :P

+ Shyteload of cap room.

Lot of good that does him. I seem to remember an article from a year ago saying that things were so bad in Cleveland that no player would go there unless the Browns were willing to go well over market value to get them.

Lot's of cap room only does good for quality organizations, who can sometimes get players to sign for less than they're worth.

Browns declined to tender WR Chansi Stuckey, making him an unrestricted free agent.

A Mangini era holdover, the 27-year-old Stuckey caught 40 balls for 346 yards last season. His complete lack of playmaking ability shows up in his yards per reception average (8.7) and touchdown total (zero). The Browns, hopefully, will try to get faster in the receiver corps this offseason.

Dare we take a Chansi on this player a second time? He won't get a big signing bonus or anything. So if he doesn't pan out we won't be Stuckey with much dead cap space.

Dare we take a Chansi on this player a second time? He won't get a big signing bonus or anything. So if he doesn't pan out we won't be Stuckey with much dead cap space.

Yes and I have thought of a situation that applies. If Brad smith doesn't return the Jets could use a fourth receiver. Granted Smith isn't really much of a 4th receiver anyway, so maybe they sign him as the 4th wideout

I'd like a WR LIKE Stuckey...he'd be an alright option for 3rd or 4th WR...someone else like that would be a Johnnie Lee Higgins, who I heard/thought might be a FA this year.

Yes and I have thought of a situation that applies. If Brad smith doesn't return the Jets could use a fourth receiver. Granted Smith isn't really much of a 4th receiver anyway, so maybe they sign him as the 4th wideout

I'd like a WR LIKE Stuckey...he'd be an alright option for 3rd or 4th WR...someone else like that would be a Johnnie Lee Higgins, who I heard/thought might be a FA this year.

I only made the post so people would comment on my pun-making skills. Thanks for not obliging.

708353ktyzp004l8.gif

Archived