Tiki Barber planning comeback to NFL in 2011

Matt39

This is great. The guy was one of the biggest scumbags in pro sports and now needs to beg his way back onto a NFL roster.

Had that retirement tour a tad early. Karma, what a bitch.

Definitely. As much as I hate the Giants, it was the ultimate slap in the face when he came out after retirement and dissed the entire organization all the way to Eli Manning...and they went on to win the Super Bowl.

That guy is a total POS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6193850

Tiki Barber coming out of retirement

Former New York Giants running back Tiki Barber has filed papers to come out of retirement and try to revive his NFL career, his agent Mark Lepselter confirmed to ESPN on Tuesday.

Barber, who turns 36 in April, hasn't played since the 2006 season with the Giants, where he spent his entire 10-year career. Most recently he had been a correspondent for "The Today Show" and "Sunday Night Football" on NBC before the network did not renew his contract. He has been doing video work for Yahoo!

Barber, who had two years left on his Giants contract when he retired, will not be making his comeback with New York.

"We wish Tiki nothing but the best, and when we are able to make the transaction, we will release him from our reserve/retired list," team spokesman Pat Hanlon said in a statement.

While owners and players are engaged in talks for a new collective bargaining agreement, teams are not allowed to make roster moves.

Lepselter, though, told FOXSports.com that "there are interested parties."

Barber's twin brother Ronde plays defensive back for the Buccaneers. Ronde Barber signed a one-year deal last month to return for a 15th season with Tampa Bay.

"After seeing my brother still have fun at our age, it reignited the fire," Tiki Barber said, according to FOXSports.com. "I'm really looking forward to the challenge of seeing if I can get back to the level of where I was. I started working out again recently. It kind of shocked myself. I still had a lot of the strength I had before. I'm really looking forward to making a return."

Barber went out on top, rushing for 1,662 yards and five touchdowns in 2006. He ran for 10,449 yards with a 4.7 yards per carry average in his career.

He rushed for a career-best 1,860 yards in 2005 when he made one of his three Pro Bowls.

After he retired, he said Tom Coughlin's coaching style was part of the reason he stopped playing. The Giants won the Super Bowl the year after Barber retired.

Barber's intention to come out of retirement was first revealed on the Twitter account of Maxx Talent, the firm that represents Barber.

Tiki Barber coming out of retirement

ESPNNewYork.com

Barber Coming Out Of Retirement

Former Giants RB Tiki Barber has filed papers to come out of retirementTags: SportsCenter, NFL, New York Giants, Tiki Barber, John ClaytonBarber Coming Out Of Retirement

VIDEO PLAYLIST video2.png

Former New York Giants running back Tiki Barber has filed papers to come out of retirement and try to revive his NFL career, his agent Mark Lepselter confirmed to ESPN on Tuesday.

Barber, who turns 36 in April, hasn't played since the 2006 season with the Giants, where he spent his entire 10-year career. Most recently he had been a correspondent for "The Today Show" and "Sunday Night Football" on NBC before the network did not renew his contract. He has been doing video work for Yahoo!

Giants blog

nyg.gif Looking for more information on Big Blue? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Barber, who had two years left on his Giants contract when he retired, will not be making his comeback with New York.

"We wish Tiki nothing but the best, and when we are able to make the transaction, we will release him from our reserve/retired list," team spokesman Pat Hanlon said in a statement.

While owners and players are engaged in talks for a new collective bargaining agreement, teams are not allowed to make roster moves.

Lepselter, though, told FOXSports.com that "there are interested parties."

Barber's twin brother Ronde plays defensive back for the Buccaneers. Ronde Barber signed a one-year deal last month to return for a 15th season with Tampa Bay.

"After seeing my brother still have fun at our age, it reignited the fire," Tiki Barber said, according to FOXSports.com. "I'm really looking forward to the challenge of seeing if I can get back to the level of where I was. I started working out again recently. It kind of shocked myself. I still had a lot of the strength I had before. I'm really looking forward to making a return."

Barber went out on top, rushing for 1,662 yards and five touchdowns in 2006. He ran for 10,449 yards with a 4.7 yards per carry average in his career.

He rushed for a career-best 1,860 yards in 2005 when he made one of his three Pro Bowls.

After he retired, he said Tom Coughlin's coaching style was part of the reason he stopped playing. The Giants won the Super Bowl the year after Barber retired.

Barber's intention to come out of retirement was first revealed on the Twitter account of Maxx Talent, the firm that represents Barber.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was used in this report.

I think Tiki really thought he was going to get a great job with NBC which never happened. Now he can make himself into a story again if he tries this comeback and Im assuming he figures he can parlay that into a different job.

I think Tiki really thought he was going to get a great job with NBC which never happened. Now he can make himself into a story again if he tries this comeback and Im assuming he figures he can parlay that into a different job.

He did, initially, but he lost it because he is incompetent.

That can't be why. Have you seen some of the people they have working on that show?

Yes. The other problem for Tiki was that his roof shingle-like personality did nothing to trump his lack of competence - in other words: he couldn't cover his stupidity with good sense of humor like Michael Irvin or Deion Sanders.

I'm still trying to figure out how Jerome Bettis got dumped in favor of Rodney Harrison - I've never seen a man more uncomfortable simply standing on television.

Yes. The other problem for Tiki was that his roof shingle-like personality did nothing to trump his lack of competence - in other words: he couldn't cover his stupidity with good sense of humor like Michael Irvin or Deion Sanders.

I'm still trying to figure out how Jerome Bettis got dumped in favor of Rodney Harrison - I've never seen a man more uncomfortable simply standing on television.

He was on the football show? I thought he was on the Today show. I was referring to those two drunks, Kathy Lee and that other broad.

He was on the football show? I thought he was on the Today show. I was referring to those two drunks, Kathy Lee and that other broad.

He was on both. He did the football show for their first year. His "news" career was even worse than his football media attempt.

I still laugh at my cousin who stopped rooting for the Giants after 25 years when Tiki retired because "he was the only classy guy on the team" and instead decided to root for the Pats "because they are a classy organization."

Yes, my cousin is a horrible judge of character.

Money and his tv career was a flop

Couldn;t have happen to a nicer guy. Guy is garbage. Cracks me up that he is saying he is seeing how much fun his brother is having so he wants to play again. something tells me his brother has been kicking him a little cash here and their and those child support and intern payments are tightening the noose. Guy obviously thinks the world is dumber than he is.

Archived