Japanese nuke reactor blows up

PatriotReign37

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive my ignorance, but can anyone explain what happens in a worst case scenario? Is it end times (ish) for Japan and/or the world?

my laymans understanding is the result of a core meltdown would be massive nuclear radiation leaks, and a large area would be rendered unihabitable for decades, which is really bad for an island nation. factor in how close it is to the water, and the effects would be magnified, the fishing industry would surely be devastated.

at least they told the locals, not like it soviet russia where they tried to keep it covered up

Forgive my ignorance, but can anyone explain what happens in a worst case scenario? Is it end times (ish) for Japan and/or the world?

The end of the world isn't due until 12/21/12, but as always, Japan is ahead of the curve.

I always hated the thought of nuclear power. Everyone always says it is safe. That is until a GIANT WAVE makes it unsafe.

I'm generally a fan of nuclear power. Done right, it's clean and efficient. They kept making the plants bigger and bigger for a while, though, which I think was a mistake. Better to make a series of smaller plants to cut down on the possibility of a major disaster. I probably wouldn't build a plant too close to a major fault line. But that's just me.

I just emailed an old Navy friend of mine who was on subs. (I wasn't smart enough to finish the school).

I thought when you drop the control rods, the fission ends...so I'm kinda surprised they're dealing with heat.

Years ago I'd heard that chernobyl's control rods were horizontal and they couldn't push them in, but that since then they're vertical and you just drop them to shutdown.

Must be more to this that I don't know.

If this thing has or does meltdown, theres a very strong possibility that radiation would reach California via the jet stream.

Great....A Japanese import we do not want.

A photo tribute to Chrenobyl 24 years later has a picture that is 400m away from the reactor and the reading is still 3 times the highest allowable limit.

Great....A Japanese import we do not want.

A photo tribute to Chrenobyl 24 years later has a picture that is 400m away from the reactor and the reading is still 3 times the highest allowable limit.

400 meters isn't a great distance.

If this thing has or does meltdown, theres a very strong possibility that radiation would reach California via the jet stream.

No biggie, California has all those wind power fans. They can just turn them all in the direction of Japan and blow the radiation right back over there.

I always hated the thought of nuclear power. Everyone always says it is safe. That is until a GIANT WAVE makes it unsafe.

everything has risk. "safe" doesn't mean without risk, it means with acceptable risk. maybe the answer is no nukes near fault zones (i think it was the quake, not the waves that caused this).

besides, focusing on the reactor is not seeing the forest from the trees. the tsunami itself killed at least 10,000+ so far in japan.

everything has risk. "safe" doesn't mean without risk, it means with acceptable risk. maybe the answer is no nukes near fault zones (i think it was the quake, not the waves that caused this).

besides, focusing on the reactor is not seeing the forest from the trees. the tsunami itself killed at least 10,000+ so far in japan.

Yes I posted about that in the other thread when I saw it the other day. that whole port town, that was just beyond terrible.

I dont like this latest news about another explosion at all. When does the U.S start worrying?

right now

there are multiple reactors that seem to be "running away" and can't be cooled. this could be worse than chernobyl as there are multiple reactors involved

this is horrible for the japanese, but to answer your question, americans will feel the impact in hawaii and wall street will surely freak out over this and the oil companies will figure out a way to add insult to injury I'm sure

right now

there are multiple reactors that seem to be "running away" and can't be cooled. this could be worse than chernobyl as there are multiple reactors involved

this is horrible for the japanese, but to answer your question, americans will feel the impact in hawaii and wall street will surely freak out over this and the oil companies will figure out a way to add insult to injury I'm sure

Unfortunately that was a good post. Scary though.

I just emailed an old Navy friend of mine who was on subs. (I wasn't smart enough to finish the school).

I thought when you drop the control rods, the fission ends...so I'm kinda surprised they're dealing with heat.

Years ago I'd heard that chernobyl's control rods were horizontal and they couldn't push them in, but that since then they're vertical and you just drop them to shutdown.

Must be more to this that I don't know.

Actually I believe the configuration at these reactors has the control rods being pushed up. The rods were pushed up, but the complete cooling failure with their redundant systems was the problem. The control rods nearly stop all fission, but not 100%, and either way there is still a ton of heat, I mean these reactors can get up to 5,000 degrees. Without circulTing cooling water, everything turns to steam and leaves the fuel rods out of the water and exposed, and then the meltdown starts.

I dont like this latest news about another explosion at all. When does the U.S start worrying?

"At the White House, Nuclear Regulatory Commission head Gregory Jaczko assured Americans that there was "a very low likelihood" of harmful levels of radiation reaching Hawaii or the West Coast even in case of a meltdown because of the distance from Japan."

Because of the widespread area over the pacific ocean that radiation would be blown, the levels would not not be of concern. Of course, no levels is better. It is it he concentration of radiation that is of major concern, which now looks very possible in Japan. Hopefully they can pull something out of their a$$ to stop this chain reaction.

Archived