Sperm Edwards

http://espn.go.com/b..._medium=twitter

Jets draft preview: Running back

April, 7, 2011

APR 7

9:08

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

This is the fourth installment in a nine-part series that will analyze the Jets' needs, position by position, in the upcoming draft.

Position: Running back.

Depth chart: Shonn Greene, John Conner (FB), LaDainian Tomlinson, Joe McKnight, Tony Richardson (FB), Carlos Brown, Chris Jennings.

Not under contract: Richardson.

Scouting report: The Jets are planning to have three tailbacks on the roster -- Greene, Tomlinson and McKnight -- but do they have a No. 1 back in the bunch? Ah, that is the question. This is Greene's time to shine, but didn't we say that last year? It didn't happen that way, of course, as Tomlinson was the feature back over the first half of the season. McKnight, who arrived with a diva mentality, matured throughout the season (pine time can have that effect) and flashed promise in the meaningless season finale. He'll have a role, possibly as the No. 2 back, bringing much-needed speed to the backfield. Tomlinson could be the third-down back. Conner is locked in as the starting fullback. The classy Richardson, 39, will have to go elsewhere if he wants to keep playing.

The Last Time: The Jets have picked running backs in two straight drafts -- McKnight (fourth round, 2010), Conner (fifth round, 2010) and Greene (third round, 2009).

Potential Targets: It would be an absolute stunner if the Jets pick another runner. They're showing interest in Bilal Powell (Louisville), who is on their list of visits to Florham Park. Powell (5-11, 204) is an interesting prospect because he rushed for 1,405 yards last season, yet some scouts say he's a one-year wonder and point to his average speed. Nevertheless, he figures to fall in the fourth- to fifth-round area. Another runner would create backfield chaos. They'll need a backup for Conner, but it's hard to imagine them picking a fullback two years in a row.

Need Factor (scale of 1 to 10): 2.

Friday: Offensive line.

They'll need a backup for Conner, but it's hard to imagine them picking a fullback two years in a row.

Why? Why do they need a back-up fullback? They didn't even carry one FB for much of Schottenheimer's time here. They need a guy for camp reps, but there is no camp, so that doesn't even matter. They do not need a back-up fullback and I don't think that they will carry another fullback unless the guy is great on specials or is somebody they really like, like Jason Davis.

Its Buffalo. Color me not overly impressed.

True, but it's still nicer to see him perform that way when given the opportunity, as opposed to sucking against Buffalo. Besides, he also running behind the second team OL for the most part as well, so I feel like he has to get some credit.

But honestly, what makes me more optimistic about McKnight going forward than anything is his special teams play. The criticism of McKnight has never been his ability, but rather his commitment and work ethic. Towards the end of the year the guy was simply phenomenal on special teams, and I think that speaks volumes about how his level of commitment changed over the course of the season. If McKnight approaches the offseason and season in that manner, I see no reason he can't be very successful, at least as a complimentary back. It also helps that I have a lot of faith in this teams ability to scout RBs. The guys they've drafted over the years have all worked out pretty damn well and it seems every year the Jets have some guy who they tab as a PS guy that goes on to play significant reps for another team.

Not really a surprise. I'm sure most will over-react to this potential news, but I don't see it as a big deal. Schotty will still call mid-field passes to Greene for some reason, and he will still line up LT on the goal line and ask him to bulldoze our opponents 9-men in the box...

McKnight getting touches is a given. You don't keep a guy for his potential, in place of Leon Washington and Danny Woodhead, so that you can use him LESS in his 2nd year.

I'm ready to see what we have in this guy. Thinking positive.

LT's prominence in this offense was a miscalculation by Schottengenius, and it led to a crispy-fried, burned out LT by mid-season. If Schotty has hi way next year, McKnight won't be cutting into LT's playing time, he'll be taking carries from Greene, which might not be a bad thing. The era of the dominant back is over. Now, you need three backs just to compete late in the season.

We see this happen again and again with this team. I'll never forget when this board first started I was real excited about the State Of The Jets PC they gave. It was after the Doug Brien fiasco and Herm and Bradway and Tannenbaum all stood up there and live on the radio told us how Lamont Jordan would definitely be getting 10-15 carries a game in 2005 and what happened they ended up losing him to the Raiders. They also ran Curtis into the ground and ended his career.

I agree. You're supposed to get 154 yds and 3 td's BECAUSE its Buffalo. If he couldnt then dude would be very very suspect.

The Bills run defense may have sucked, but going to these kind of lengths to give the kid no credit for his performance (behind a second team OL no less) is laughable. Just consider, McKnight's 158 yards were the SECOND MOST yards the Bills gave up to one player ALL SEASON. The only player who had more rushing yards against the Bills last year was Jamal Charles (177 yards). That means he outrushed LT, MJD, Adrian Peterson, Ronnie Brown (even if you combine his two games' rushing performances), Cedric Benson, Rashard Mendenhall, and the list goes on. Sure the guy still has to prove himself definitively, but the idea that he doesn't get any credit whatsoever for a very good performance surrounded by a bunch of second stringers is just ridiculous, regardless of the opponent.

True, but it's still nicer to see him perform that way when given the opportunity, as opposed to sucking against Buffalo. Besides, he also running behind the second team OL for the most part as well, so I feel like he has to get some credit.

But honestly, what makes me more optimistic about McKnight going forward than anything is his special teams play. The criticism of McKnight has never been his ability, but rather his commitment and work ethic. Towards the end of the year the guy was simply phenomenal on special teams, and I think that speaks volumes about how his level of commitment changed over the course of the season. If McKnight approaches the offseason and season in that manner, I see no reason he can't be very successful, at least as a complimentary back. It also helps that I have a lot of faith in this teams ability to scout RBs. The guys they've drafted over the years have all worked out pretty damn well and it seems every year the Jets have some guy who they tab as a PS guy that goes on to play significant reps for another team.

I didn't join in with the McKnight bashing last year, but I do definitely see him as a guy who would benefit greatly from having an entire off-season program in place. I hope he and Sanchez are actual friends, and Mark pushes him to keep up some kind of regimen.

LT's prominence in this offense was a miscalculation by Schottengenius, and it led to a crispy-fried, burned out LT by mid-season. If Schotty has hi way next year, McKnight won't be cutting into LT's playing time, he'll be taking carries from Greene, which might not be a bad thing. The era of the dominant back is over. Now, you need three backs just to compete late in the season.

I tend to agree here, too. I think they can plan all they want in the offseason about how they're going to divide up the carries, but if LT is still on the roster, both Schotty and Rex will have a difficult time not giving him the ball. Rex likes his veterans, too.

If there is a preseason, they should go back to LT's old program of having him sit it out. Use him very sparingly in the first half of the year so he has something in the tank to help on the field when the ground & pound weather comes to the NE. But that's a pipe dream. They'll burn him out again at the first sign that Greene or McKnight isn't getting it done.

The Bills run defense may have sucked, but going to these kind of lengths to give the kid no credit for his performance (behind a second team OL no less) is laughable. Just consider, McKnight's 158 yards were the SECOND MOST yards the Bills gave up to one player ALL SEASON. The only player who had more rushing yards against the Bills last year was Jamal Charles (177 yards). That means he outrushed LT, MJD, Adrian Peterson, Ronnie Brown (even if you combine his two games' rushing performances), Cedric Benson, Rashard Mendenhall, and the list goes on. Sure the guy still has to prove himself definitively, but the idea that he doesn't get any credit whatsoever for a very good performance surrounded by a bunch of second stringers is just ridiculous, regardless of the opponent.

+1

There was never an argument on the fact.

As stated, if he couldnt put together a solid game against the Bills I would see if he was looked at as suspect. He showed up.

Archived