Our new NT - Kenrick Ellis

Kentucky Jet

Strengths:

Ideal 3-4 NG with long arms, massive body, thick thighs, and good strength. Improved his stamina as the season went on. Showed up to the NFLPA Game and took it over showing great strength and played with good leverage and used his hands well. Anchors well against double teams. Plays a violent style and will chase plays to the sideline. Had times during his senior year where he was quite possibly the best player in the country.

Weaknesses:

Has plenty of character baggage with multiple failed drug tests for marijuana and was suspended one game in 2010 for a fight in the off-season. Doesn’t have great speed and quickness for the pass rush and got tired at times early in the season and would get driven back. Because of past baggage some wonder if he can be trusted and has shown he can get out of shape as well. Raw prospect who could protect his lower body better.

Outlook:

Ellis has been a star for Hampton ever since transferring from South Carolina. He has had stints in his career where he looked out of shape and just a guy but showed later in his career that he can also take over a game. Comparisons to Albert Haynesworth will be drawn. He’s a player who you could be burned on taking in the top 100 but he has top 50 talent making him a guy who becomes well worth the chance in the 4th or 5th round. If he matures, there is no doubt he has has Pro Bowl talent.

For the Best Sleeper Coverage Anywhere, Visit JBScouting.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP TKL TFL SACK

2006 RS - - -

2007 11 2 0 0

2008 11 39 7.5 3.5

2009 12 51 15.0 1.5

2010 10 94 15.0 2.0

Totals 44 186 37.5 7.0

our DL is gonna be stacked this season, I am so pumped. Wilkerson Ellis Pouha Devito Pitoitua, I like this rotation. I think "bad character" guys gravitate to Rex's loose personality and will get in line because they love him, and not because hes a disciplinarian so I think Ellis will be good.

our DL is gonna be stacked this season, I am so pumped. Wilkerson Ellis Pouha Devito Pitoitua, I like this rotation. I think "bad character" guys gravitate to Rex's loose personality and will get in line because they love him, and not because hes a disciplinarian so I think Ellis will be good.

Shaun Ellis has been busted for the shwag, too, so him and Kenrick should get along just fine. Cheech and Chong-like.

In Round 3, Here’s the Beef: DT Kenrick Ellis

Posted by Randy Lange on April 29, 2011 – 10:14 pm

For the second straight night, the Jets stepped to the plate late in the draft night proceedings. And for the second straight night, the Green & White made a pick to improve the depth and youth on their defensive line.

The Jets’ third-round pick, 94th overall, is Kenrick Ellis, the massive defensive tackle from Hampton, who tips the scales at 6’5″ and 346 pounds. One night after the Jets took DT/DE Muhammad Wilkerson from Temple, the team sought to beef up the middle of that line.

Ellis, a native of Jamaica, has NFL-quality size and impressed pro scouts with his burst and his handwork on the inside. He was suspended and later dismissed by South Carolina after the 2007 season, but he grew into his role with Hampton, starting 27 of 32 games for the Pirates of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.

At Hampton Ellis had 37.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks, forced three fumbles and recovered six. As a senior his 94 tackles were the most ever by a Hampton DT behind only Reggie Doss. Ellis has turned a 5.05 in the 40 and has recorded a 355-pound bench press and a 500-pound squat.

And if Ryan was amazed by Wilkerson’s 35¼-inch wingspan, which he was, he must be overjoyed with two other key Ellis measurements: a 35 1/8-inch arm length and a 10½-inch hand size.

Marty Lyons, the Jets’ radio analyst and former Sack Exchange DT, made the announcement at about 10:10 p.m. tonight from the podium at Radio City Music Hall in New York. The selection ended the team’s evening-long drought after they sent their second-round pick, 61st overall, to San Diego to complete last year’s trade for cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

GM Mike Tannenbaum, who in the first two years of the Rex Ryan era presided over drafts that brought in six offensive players and only one on defense (last year’s first-round CB Kyle Wilson), now has helped the defensive-minded Ryan and coordinator Mike Pettine close the gap on the offense with two picks for the D.

When you say Ellis, are you combining the two of them or are you thinking the Jets don't resign Shaun? Me? I'm hoping they keep him on the team if what he wants $ wise is reasonable

umm....

Kenrick Ellis facing July jury trial for felony assault charge, facing 20 yrs in prison, according to Daily Press in Newport News, Va. #Jets

via Cimini

Um wtf???

<OBLIGATORY>LEGALIZE IT!</OBLIGATORY>

Kenrick-Ellis.jpg

After holding official visits or private workouts with multiple defensive linemen already, the New England Patriots continued to follow the theme and held a private workout with Hamton defensive lineman Kenrick Ellis.

Ellis is an incredible prospect with the athleticism (5.19 forty) and size (6-5/345) to play a variety of positions in nearly any NFL defensive scheme. Ellis could play nose tackle or defensive end for the Patriots. :D

umm....

Kenrick Ellis facing July jury trial for felony assault charge, facing 20 yrs in prison, according to Daily Press in Newport News, Va. #Jets

via Cimini

Given the little I know of criminal justice in the Maryland/Virginia area when it comes to potential NFL players charged with assault based on one POS Eric Barton getting it "taken care of" and never looking back,wouldn't be overly worried.

umm....

via Cimini

Odd this came out now...hopefully the Jets know about it - I'd assume they did their research on the guy.

Given the little I know of criminal justice in the Maryland/Virginia area when it comes to potential NFL players charged with assault based on one POS Eric Barton getting it "taken care of" and never looking back,wouldn't be overly worried.

Allen Iverson incited a riot at a bowling alley and walked away clean. I believe they had video of him swinging a chair, too.

The New York Jets selected defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis (Hampton) with the 94th pick in the 2011 draft.  Ellis, who comes in at 6’5, 340 pounds , should add some depth to the defensive line position for the Jets.

From NFLDraftScout.com

Pass rush: Might not put up huge sack numbers as quarterbacks will be aware of his presence inside. Shows good quickness off the ball in obvious passing situations. Can bull rush when single-blocked by extending his arms or swim over defenders reaching to engage him using quick hands. Uses long arms and big hands to cloud passing lanes but hasn’t actually tipped many passes (one in his first two seasons at Hampton). Keeps his eyes in the backfield while engaged by a blocker. Will go to the sideline to chase scrambling quarterbacks or get off blocks to follow screens. Wants to play finesse game, as if he’s a light and agile tackle, trying to spin or run around blockers, instead of overpowering and destroying blockers. Runs by mobile or pocket-savvy quarterbacks on his initial burst but does show hustle on secondary rush.

Run defense: Looks like a run-stuffer and can play the part, but surprises with his agility and foot quickness. Agile enough to move with blockers on zone plays; can disengage to prevent cutback lanes. Holds up double teams to eat space but can also penetrate into the backfield. Can push back two defenders when keeping his hips low and churning his feet. Good hustle for his size, especially when rested as part of a regular rotation. Chases down plays to the sideline, as well as from behind even if they go 15-20 yards downfield when rested (even in the fourth quarter); he is not credited with many stops in those situations, but is in position if his teammates can’t stop the ball. Spins off double-teams to grab ballcarriers coming through the hole or funnel toward linebackers. Has nimble feet to jump over fallen blockers but is susceptible to the cut block because of his height. Has difficulty regaining his balance. Runs past ballcarriers because he fails to break down quickly.

Explosion: Excellent upper-body build and girth. Has potential to show great strength off the snap to uncoil and uproot blockers. Not just a mammoth run-stopper, he lines up at the one- and three-technique positions to be explosive as a pass rusher. Average NFL first step, but it’s quick enough to pressure the pocket when focused on getting to the quarterback.

Strength: Man among boys at the FCS level due to his size and strength. Anchors against double-team, not moved backward easily. Rips off single blocks with strong hands and downward motion, though he will stand around when he tires. Holds off linemen with one shoulder when slanting and is able to spin in the opposite direction to make tackles. Will have more difficulty maintaining leverage against NFL interior linemen unless he sinks his hips to hold his ground consistently.

Tackling: Swallows running backs in the hole with great mass and length. Pure size and strength make him an explosive tackler that ballcarriers don’t want to feel hit them. Good change-of-direction agility with quick feet, but struggles to stay low and break down in space. Has some upfield burst. Can work against him in that he cannot stop his forward momentum when rushing up the field.

Intangibles: Dismissal from South Carolina for multiple rules violations is a major red flag, and his one-game suspension in 2010 also added to those worries. On-field effort is not an issue.

There are some major red flags with Ellis (pending jury trial for felony assault), but Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum repeatedly stated that the team did their due diligence on the player and that they feel comfortable with the pick.

Gang Green has 4 picks remaining: #126, #161, #184, #208. At some point you would think that the Jets would look to add some linebacking help, in addition to addressing the offensive line and secondary.

di</img>di</img>

pc7sPeWralY

View the full article

Allen Iverson incited a riot at a bowling alley and walked away clean. I believe they had video of him swinging a chair, too.

This Michael Vick guy...also from Virginia. By all accounts we are now led to believe he is basically St. Francis of Assissi reincarnate. And a guy getting shot at his birthday party in Virginia only last summer seemed to dissappear like a fart in a hurricane. Not saying I like any of this, but that is the world we live in.

Even if he walks, he'll probably face a suspension from the league, no?

He wasn't under an NFL contract when the charges were filed so I don't see how they can justify punishing a non-employee. If that's the case, then I'm expecting Goodell to fine Lawrence Taylor 10 grand and give him a three game suspension for child rape at minimum. AT MINIMUM!

How the hell do you draft a guy that's on trial for felony assault? There must be some kind of major sanction if he failed to make this known.

One version of the story I saw said he belted they guy after the so-called victim tried to swing a bat at Ellis. If (big IF) that turns out to be true, I don't see this being a major problem. Besides, breaking jaws is kind of a Jets tradition, no? He and Eric Smith should be roomies.

My link

HU's Ellis has it all – size, speed and question marks

April 27, 2011|By Melinda Waldrop, mwaldrop@dailypress.com | 247-4634Kenrick Ellis knows the questions are coming.

A 6-foot-5, 346-pound defensive tackle who turned the heads of pro scouts during his senior season at Hampton University, Ellis has the size and speed to make some consider him a possible second-round selection in this week's NFL draft. He also has the eyebrow-raising past that leads teams to hire private detectives who call reporters in search of background information.

"I think it's necessary," Ellis said. "If you just read certain things on me, you'll probably think I'm a bad guy. If people ask me and they communicate with me, they'll (understand) what was going on my head at the time. I'm not a bad person. People make mistakes. And the thing about making mistakes is you learn from them, and I feel like I've learned from every mistake I've ever made in my life."

A series of mistakes led to Ellis' dismissal from South Carolina, where he redshirted in 2006, for violation of team rules. He distinguished himself on the field in three seasons at HU, but an altercation a year ago on HU's campus led to a malicious wounding charge and has him facing a felony charge, a July 12 jury trial and as many as 20 years in prison."The one incident he had this past year - I think anybody in that circumstance would have done that," Hampton football coach Donovan Rose said. "Someone kind of approached him over a young lady. Besides that, since he's been at Hampton, he's a kid that's been a yes sir, no sir guy. … He has been – I'm not going to say a model guy, but he's been accountable."

Ellis said his lawyers instructed him not to talk about the case. Calls to the Hampton University Police Department seeking information about the incident were not returned, and neither the prosecutor in the case nor Ellis' defense attorney returned messages. Two online reports say Ellis broke a man's nose and jaw.

Rose suspended Ellis one game over the incident. In his return, Ellis had 16 tackles, two sacks and a recovered fumble at Howard, setting the tone for a 94-tackle, eight-sack senior season.

Ellis had 15 tackles for loss in each of his last two seasons, 7 1/2 his first.

"After the first year, we knew he was special," Rose said. "(Teams) couldn't block him. … Bill Parcells said one time that the Lord made only so many big people who can move like that, and he's one of them. He can move and he's strong."

As promising as Ellis' debut was, off-the-field events fueled his drive to make even bigger strides

Ellis' mother, Merteline Mitchell, who raised Ellis and his three siblings, had a minor heart attack in the spring of 2009. The scare left a lasting impression on her oldest son.

"It gave me more motivation," Ellis said. "That was like a wake-up call. She's not going to be here forever. None of us are here forever, so it made me want to appreciate the time I had with her."

Mitchell was foremost on Ellis' mind during daily workouts at home in West Palm Beach, Fla., preparing for the draft.

"She's the strongest person I know," Ellis said. "We've been through so much. We might not have had it all, but she always made sure we got by. That's just my whole job right now, just to take care of her and make sure she's OK. She sacrificed so much for me and my sisters. I would love to give her a chance to stop working and just enjoy life for once."

AdvertisementEllis, who ran a 5.19 40-yard dash at the NFL combine before an impressive performance in February's NFL Players Association All-Star game, is rated 10th out of 151 defensive tackles by NFL Draft Scout, which projects him as a third-round pick.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. has speculated that the Carolina Panthers will take Ellis in the third round, while CBSSports.com, which also ranks Ellis 10th at his position, has him going to Pittsburgh in the second round.

"To hear my name called, no matter where or when, is a blessing," Ellis said. "I have no expectations. I'm just praying and hoping I get picked up. It's not a game anymore, so basically I'm just looking for a job."

Rose said Philadelphia and Dallas also like Ellis, who plans to watch the draft with family in Florida.

"I know somebody's going to try to steal him," said Rose, a Miami Dolphins defensive back from 1986-88. "He's going to play right away, and he's going to make somebody happy.

"I think you're going to hear nothing but good things from Ken from now on."

Archived