The Mets need to resign Reyes

Matt39

Are you prepared to see the team give him a $100m contract, knowing full well that they're operating on a budget?

I think the odds of Reyes being a bust on a long-term deal of that magnitude is very high... ultimately, it doesn't matter, because without a change in ownership, I can't see the Mets being anything other than also-rans.

I think the Dodgers have a better chance of signing Reyes right now than the Mets do. It's going to be a fire sale of epic proportions soon, and Jeffy is going to try and sell us on Sandy Alderson building a team like the 80's A's, with young, scrappy, high on base percentage guys.

Trade him and get some good prospects and still have the money you were going to spend on him on a couple of free agents. Not the worst thing they could do if they don't have money to re-up him.

they're not going to get good prospects for him. What team in their right mind would gut their minors for a few months of Reyes?

They're better off letting him leave as a FA and get 2 first round picks (if a sh!ttier team doesnt sign him).

The Mets will be retarded to trade away any player that will be a Type A free agent.

Are you prepared to see the team give him a $100m contract, knowing full well that they're operating on a budget?

I think the odds of Reyes being a bust on a long-term deal of that magnitude is very high... ultimately, it doesn't matter, because without a change in ownership, I can't see the Mets being anything other than also-rans.

New York Mets. On a budget. laugh.gif Boy did I pick the wrong horse in this race. What an embarrassment the Wilpons are.

Reyes very well can be a bust long term. That speed wont be around for much longer, and are the rest of his skills worthy of another big time contract? Very tough to say. Thats what scares me if they do resign him... that he will become JAG.

If you traded Reyes to the Red Sox tomorrow, they'd steamroll the AL East and win it going away. He'll have a ton of value at the deadline, assuming he stays healthy. Of course, the Mets will dump him to San Fran next week for some AA guys making pennies.

If you traded Reyes to the Red Sox tomorrow, they'd steamroll the AL East and win it going away. He'll have a ton of value at the deadline, assuming he stays healthy. Of course, the Mets will dump him to San Fran next week for some AA guys making pennies.

and what exactly do the Sawx have to give up for him?

They have some decent pieces still left in the cupboard, but they don't need a shortstop. They think Iglesias is the future. He doesn't hit a ton, but he's supposed to be dynamite int he field. Plus, Lowrie is in the mix too.

The Mets will want nobody that makes any money, so they'll take low-minors guys and make them all sound like future Hall of Famers. Seriously, the Sox won't even have to put a AAA prospect into the mix.

They have some decent pieces still left in the cupboard, but they don't need a shortstop. They think Iglesias is the future. He doesn't hit a ton, but he's supposed to be dynamite int he field. Plus, Lowrie is in the mix too.

If Crawford still sucks two weeks from now, the Sawx will come a-calling for Reyes.

If Crawford still sucks two weeks from now, the Sawx will come a-calling for Reyes.

Reyes can play left field? Besides Crawford is starting to hit. .400 for the month of May. Small sample size, but better than not hitting still. He'll be fine.

The Sox have a lot of money coming off the books next season. They might be interested in Reyes then. They don't really need another top of the order speedster, though. They need a right-handed hitting masher. Preferably to take over for JD Drew.

Reyes can play left field? Besides Crawford is starting to hit. .400 for the month of May. Small sample size, but better than not hitting still. He'll be fine.

The Sox have a lot of money coming off the books next season. They might be interested in Reyes then. They don't really need another top of the order speedster, though. They need a right-handed hitting masher. Preferably to take over for JD Drew.

Help me out here, Carl. I'm a Mets fan. The only joy I can possibly glean from this baseball season is if the Yankees should suffer a great deal. The only reason that Mets Nation hasn't completely tuned out MLB altogether is that we get to enjoy watching The Ghost of Derek Jeter get booed progressively louder each game at Yankee Stadium. I want to trade the Red Sox Reyes and John Santana if only to watch Yankee fans weep. Don't rain on my ******* parade.

The Mets will want nobody that makes any money, so they'll take low-minors guys and make them all sound like future Hall of Famers. Seriously, the Sox won't even have to put a AAA prospect into the mix.

The whole point of trading Reyes is to get GOOD prospects for him. Not give him away as a strict salary dump. And Boston's farm system sucks right now. There are probably better matches.

Help me out here, Carl. I'm a Mets fan. The only joy I can possibly glean from this baseball season is if the Yankees should suffer a great deal. The only reason that Mets Nation hasn't completely tuned out MLB altogether is that we get to enjoy watching The Ghost of Derek Jeter get booed progressively louder each game at Yankee Stadium. I want to trade the Red Sox Reyes and John Santana if only to watch Yankee fans weep. Don't rain on my ******* parade.

So you'd rather trade Reyes to Boston for crap and hope that he helps them catch the Yankees that get actual good prospects for him that will help THE METS win when they land in the majors? Really? This is why I said Metssox fans were the lowest form of baseball life.

And what...swallow a 140 of the 142 million he is still owed? No thanks.

Seriously, I am willing to give Lowrie a shot at SS.

And what...swallow a 140 of the 142 million he is still owed? No thanks.

Seriously, I am willing to give Lowrie a shot at SS.

even though the kid CLEARLY is not made to play at SS?

he's a 2nd basemen or a 3rd basemen...but those 2 spots are taken

Ike Davis.

So one seemingly good pick in a sea of misses give you confidence that they won't wind up with a duo of Eddie Kunz and Nathan Vineyard with the sandwich picks?

Really, their biggest problem has been their aversion (due to being cheapskates) to draft high school talent in the later rounds and give them large bonuses to skip college, as every other big market team has been doing for years.

So one seemingly good pick in a sea of misses give you confidence that they won't wind up with a duo of Eddie Kunz and Nathan Vineyard with the sandwich picks?

Really, their biggest problem has been their aversion (due to being cheapskates) to draft high school talent in the later rounds and give them large bonuses to skip college, as every other big market team has been doing for years.

One would have to believe (hope?) that with the new regime, the efforts on expenditures are going to be to develop talent (and that means slotting and signing appropriately), rather than expenditures on FA's.

There is no reason to sign all the front office acumen that they did in the last offseason, if that is not their goal.

But, who knows?

One would have to believe (hope?) that with the new regime, the efforts on expenditures are going to be to develop talent (and that means slotting and signing appropriately), rather than expenditures on FA's.

There is no reason to sign all the front office acumen that they did in the last offseason, if that is not their goal.

But, who knows?

And I've read quotes from DePodesta saying that they intend to change the way things are done with respect to amateur players... I just have my doubts that the Coupons will loosen the purse strings enough to allow them to enact said plan without any interference.

And I've read quotes from DePodesta saying that they intend to change the way things are done with respect to amateur players... I just have my doubts that the Coupons will loosen the purse strings enough to allow them to enact said plan without any interference.

They paid these guys decent coin to run the front office-It would be the epitome of stupid not to enable them to follow-through.

I know, I know.

Archived