Jets extend offer to safety Eric Smith

Sperm Edwards

http://www.nj.com/je..._safety_er.html

Jets extend offer to safety Eric Smith

Published: Friday, July 29, 2011, 1:47 PM Updated: Friday, July 29, 2011, 1:49 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

William Perlman/The Star-Ledger

Eric Smith is a smart, strong safety and a key special-teams player.

The Jets have made an offer to safety Eric Smith, per a person informed of the communication between the sides. That person requested anonymity because negotiations are supposed to be private.

The Jets had put their other free-agency plans on hold for the past few days while waiting for an answer from free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. But today's development represents some movement on the other items on the Jets' shopping list.

The team is keen on bringing Smith back and has reached out to him several times since the negotiating period for free agents opened. But other teams have also reached out to Smith, per a person informed of the interest he has drawn. That person requested anonymity because of the tenuous nature of negotiations.

Smith is a smart, strong safety who is also a key special-teams player. After losing Brad Smith yesterday, it's a fair bet that special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff is pushing to keep Eric Smith.

After the offer is received, the player and the team can go back and forth on numbers. Terms of the offer were not available, but with the Asomugha situation unresolved, it's possible the Jets are not yet able to offer as much as other teams.

© 2011 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Meh. I'd prefer to go to war at safety with Leonard, Pool, Dig and Lowery, with Smith being let go. Smith is the only one of the group that should be limited exclusively to special teams. I guess this means Pool will be the odd man out?

If they sign Asomugha, everybody else is the odd man out. Eric Smith if your starting FS. Leonhard is your starting SS. Combined, they form The Wonderbread Twins.

If they sign Asomugha, everybody else is the odd man out. Eric Smith if your starting FS. Leonhard is your starting SS. Combined, they form The Wonderbread Twins.

I guess you put in the safeties in that you're not worried about getting burnt. Guys who can maybe lay the wood occasionally or cover the TE.

Meh. I'd prefer to go to war at safety with Leonard, Pool, Dig and Lowery, with Smith being let go. Smith is the only one of the group that should be limited exclusively to special teams. I guess this means Pool will be the odd man out?

No way. Pool is the starter and we will sign him soon IMO. Smith is solid depth and good ST. i think it's good signing

No way. Pool is the starter and we will sign him soon IMO. Smith is solid depth and good ST. i think it's good signing

really happy about this. I think Smith finally found a home as that extra LB/ S Rex employed him at the end of the season last year.

But have to bring back Pool to be the starter though. Smith can't be the starter, he can be used in a variety of ways, just not as the starter in a base D.

It's a necessity with B Smith being gone. We had two of the best gunners in the league, gotta try to keep one.

I actually do agree with this, but he needs to be seriously buried on the safety depth chart. Top notch special teamer for sure, but one of the most awkward DBs in the entire league.

really happy about this. I think Smith finally found a home as that extra LB/ S Rex employed him at the end of the season last year.

But have to bring back Pool to be the starter though. Smith can't be the starter, he can be used in a variety of ways, just not as the starter in a base D.

Agreed. He's no Ronnie Lott, but he packs a punch and that carries weight. A guy who will run in and pop someone in the mouth has value.

Archived