NYJETS roster doesnt match last years

visajets

I am not sure I disagree with Myers about the roster.

I hope that Hunter steps up because if he doesn't it is going to be a long year for the o-line.

I would have rather had BE than Plax, but it just makes me wonder how much Edwards was asking for because I guess we could not fit him under the cap. When a 34 year old guy that hasn't played in two years becomes a better option than one of your starting Wideouts, it has to make you wonder.....

Gary Myers is an idiot.

The Jets are the exact same team minus a couple long toothed vets.

I'm sorry, losing Brad Smith, shouldnt hurt any team in the league.

Hunter, played better than Woody when he had to step in.

Ellis will be brought back. And Jason Gaylor and Trevor Pryce are far from irreplaceable.

2 things on this

1st The Jets are NOT done adding to this roster that I can guarantee you.

2nd You can't say the Jets got better or worse for that matter if they keep the same roster pretty much in tact cause it all depends on Mark Sanchez if he takes the next step this team is considerably better than last years by far. If he does not take the next step or goes backwards then yes we are no better or worse than last year.

posted this in another thread, looks like this belongs in this thread

Come back down to earth? Werent you in straight panic mode the other day? :D

Wasn't panic mode it was impatient mode, been waiting since January wanted to see something done that was all, it probably looked like panic mode thou lo. I trust the front office and coaching staff, im really not all that worried. Like I said if Sanchez gets better the Jets are better, I don't get how all these analyst, and media folks alike can't see this.

The whole Woody situation is so far overblown. The guy was no doubt a very good player for the Jets, but he also clearly took a step back last year and after getting hurt, Hunter stepped in and played very, very well at a moments notice. As I said earlier in the offseason I think the perfect way to describe how he played is that I would bet anything that your casual fan had absolutely no idea there was even a different player starting at RT, because Hunter gave no reason to really be noticed, which is the best thing you can have for an OL. Not to mention, they'll still have him competing with Ducasse who, despite his rough start last year, is a guy who the Jets scouts and coaches loved coming out of college.

Losing Brad Smith is really no big deal and everyone saw it coming a mile away. He was a very good kick returner, but the Jets ALWAYS find a very good kick returner on the roster and he only even got the job when Leon got hurt, and they'll find somebody else to do the job now. His ST coverage was top notch, but Westhoff is as good at anyone as filling those spots. There's nothing he can do that can't be replaced by somebody else on the roster, even if it's not all done by the same player. There's even multiple guys on the roster who can handle Wildcat responsibilities, which is something the Jets need to be doing less and less of as Sanchez develops anyway.

The only real legitimate point is that I can certainly understand the question about Plaxico vs Edwards, because nobody really knows how he's going to perform on the field. Outside of that the only other real position you could consider a downgrade is the Jets quite unimpressive and paper thin safety position, which the article didn't even bother to mention. Then again, there's still over a month until opening day, so we'll have to wait and see how that really turns out.

Didn't read the article because visa's a crybaby this year and Gary Myers is a turtle.

The whole Woody situation is so far overblown. The guy was no doubt a very good player for the Jets, but he also clearly took a step back last year and after getting hurt, Hunter stepped in and played very, very well at a moments notice. As I said earlier in the offseason I think the perfect way to describe how he played is that I would bet anything that your casual fan had absolutely no idea there was even a different player starting at RT, because Hunter gave no reason to really be noticed, which is the best thing you can have for an OL. Not to mention, they'll still have him competing with Ducasse who, despite his rough start last year, is a guy who the Jets scouts and coaches loved coming out of college.

Losing Brad Smith is really no big deal and everyone saw it coming a mile away. He was a very good kick returner, but the Jets ALWAYS find a very good kick returner on the roster and he only even got the job when Leon got hurt, and they'll find somebody else to do the job now. His ST coverage was top notch, but Westhoff is as good at anyone as filling those spots. There's nothing he can do that can't be replaced by somebody else on the roster, even if it's not all done by the same player. There's even multiple guys on the roster who can handle Wildcat responsibilities, which is something the Jets need to be doing less and less of as Sanchez develops anyway.

The only real legitimate point is that I can certainly understand the question about Plaxico vs Edwards, because nobody really knows how he's going to perform on the field. Outside of that the only other real position you could consider a downgrade is the Jets quite unimpressive and paper thin safety position, which the article didn't even bother to mention. Then again, there's still over a month until opening day, so we'll have to wait and see how that really turns out.

But I actually read this (surprise!), and agree with it.

The OL should be about the same. Minor concern when they would go to their jumbo package, but you have to hope Ducasse is up to the task of at least being a part time player. I don't think the lack of an off season hurt anyone more than him.

Not concerned about losing Brad Smith for the same reasons stated above. I'd like the Jets to get away from the wildcat, and I trust Westoff to plug The Crusher in as our KOR and make it work.

The steady Edwards whine won't die down until we see Plax play, but I tend to think that he should be pretty good to go by the time we get thru the first month of the season. In the meantime, we do have other skill position guys who can pick up the slack. Jets got thru the first four weeks of last year with Cotchery in a starting role, they can get by with Plax in a diminished role.

The defensive front is stronger than ever, the CB's are arguably improved with Strickland over Coleman - I think they'll get by there.

Plus, Tanny has said to expect trades. I believe him.

I agree with him for the most part.

We lost in 3 areas: RT(Woody), S(Pool), Slash type player(B.Smith)

Now hopefuly Wilkerson is a pass rush stud in his rookie year, and getting Pitoitua back healthy will help.

But overall, we definetly are a weaker team.

Also another year of improvement for Sanchez will be huge.

Now hopefuly Wilkerson is a pass rush stud in his rookie year, and getting Pitoitua back healthy will help.

Woody was replaced just fine last year... Pool missed games and did not play every snap as it was last year... BSmith is replaced by Kerley

If you can't copy and paste them then you're fired as an article poster VeeJay-where's the Jet Nation Captain anyway? He's supposed to be the one whipping the crew into shape on this stuff....

Rex Ryan's tattoo is flashy, but Jets squad doesn't match last year's yet, even with Plaxico Burress

It didn't take Rex Ryan long to get warmed up after the four-month lockout.

He was in midseason form with the superlatives and the predictions Monday at the opening of Jets camp.

"I just know what I believe in my heart and that's that this is going to be our year," Ryan said.

Since he says that every year, at some point the Jets are going to have to get to the Super Bowl or Ryan is going to have a major credibility issue. He showed up for camp with a new elaborate tattoo on his lower right leg that was done on vacation in Hawaii in early July.

It's not his first tattoo. If things go according to plan, perhaps next year he will have the Vince Lombardi Trophy on his left leg.

He's entertaining - most coaches are so paranoid they won't tell you who their starting quarterback is - but sometimes Ryan gets so carried away with his team that he says things that are hard to back up.

Such as ...

"I think our team right here, I feel like this is the best roster that we've had since I've been here," he said after the morning walkthrough.

It may turn out that way, but it's hard to say that now, not when you look at who is gone from last year and who has been added. The biggest difference may eventually be any improvement in Mark Sanchez, who has been inconsistent despite helping the Jets get to back-to-back AFC title games in his first two seasons.

Damien Woody, a leader and stabilizing force on the offensive line, was cut and then retired. He's been replaced by Wayne Hunter, whom Ryan always called the best backup tackle in the league. He now has challenged him to be the best right tackle in the league.

Defensive end Shaun Ellis is still a free agent. Cornerback Drew Coleman is gone, replaced by Donald Strickland. An even exchange. Punter Steve Weatherford is with the Giants. Brad Smith, the most versatile player on the team, signed with Buffalo while the Jets put everything on hold for Nnamdi Asomugha. They were fortunate Antonio Cromartie was still available for a mere $8 million per year. There are rumors Jerricho Cotchery could be traded.

Plaxico Burress is the only key addition so far.

His ability to pick up where he left off with the Giants three years ago will be a crucial part of Sanchez's development. Financially, signing Burress to a one-year $3.017 million guaranteed deal was low-risk for the Jets. It kept him away from the Giants, who didn't offer one penny guaranteed in their one-year, $4 million offer. Burress wanted to return to the Giants if the money was right, a source said.

But Burress is not some experiment for the Jets. He is not a luxury. They need him to produce. Santonio Holmes is the No. 1 receiver, but Braylon Edwards was an excellent second option for Sanchez. Edwards priced himself out of a return to the Jets. Now let's not get too carried away with Edwards, but he was a dependable receiver last season with 53 catches for a 17.1 yard average with seven TDs. He found a cure for the drops.

Burress is far more accomplished than Edwards, but he hasn't played in a game since Nov. 16, 2008. Is he better than Edwards right now before he steps on the practice field for the first time Thursday? No.

If Burress can't get his legs back by the Sept. 11 opener, then the Jets' passing game will suffer. So will the running game if teams start playing eight in the box again.

It took Michael Vick his first season after his release from prison - he served about the same amount of time as Burress - to get the explosion back in his legs. Vick was 29 when he came back. Burress will be 34 next week.

Burress helped make Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning better. If he's the Burress of three years ago, he will really help Sanchez in the red zone, where the Jets have struggled. After his release from prison, Burress worked out in Florida catching passes from Matthew Stafford, Brady Quinn, Drew Stanton, Byron Leftwich and Terrelle Pryor.

"Just running routes and catching balls, it just feels like I never left," Burress said. "I do expect some rust at some point. I feel great. I'm healthy, which I haven't been in a long, long time."

GM Mike Tannenbaum - who has another month to add some more pieces - and Jets owner Woody Johnson met with Burress in May of 2009 after the Giants cut him following the gun incident. But five months later, Burress was in jail. Tannenbaum said that meeting was the foundation for the Jets signing him. He said he was impressed that the Giants and Steelers, his two former teams, brought Burress in as soon as visits were allowed.

"It's hard to quantify Plaxico. Is he going to be 60%, 100%. It's hard to say," Tannenbaum said. "I'm sure as the year goes on he will get better. We're really excited he's here. His skill set, his length, his toughness, his ball skills, that is going to help us. Its hard for me to say he has to be 80% for it to be a good decision."

Ryan will always believe in the ground and pound approach, but maybe that changes some this year with Sanchez ready to be given more responsibility. Ryan set the tone by naming Sanchez a captain last week. "My improvement determines any kind of ceiling this team could have and our potential," Sanchez said. "We have all the potential in the world. Now is the time to realize that."

Are the Jets better than last year? Not right now

Biggest concern is not bringing back Pool he was a stud in coverage after that NE debacle,no TD's allowed including playoffs, I just don't think E. Smith can cover at all very concerned about him, every time I saw a completion on 3rd down it was Smith on the coverage, atleast so it seemed.

The team really hasn't suffered to much. As mentioned above the two spots hurt were the lose of Pool, and the lose of Edwards.

The new kickoff rule negates a lot of Smith's value.

RT will be just fine. Hunter came up huge last season, and IMO Ducasse is an unknown, and a gamble when they drafted him. Huge upside, but totally raw. They covered themselves if he is a bust with Hunter.

Smith I'm worried about. But as mentioned it's not over yet.

Sanchez is the one. If, big if, he can get his completions over 60% and have a 2-1 TD int., and get over (nerves?) what ever is making him suck in the first quarter, the Jets will be a much improved team.

Even as the roster stands right now, and there will be additions, It's all on Sanchez.

We are "definitely" a weaker team...like there's literally no chance that we might be better? All because of Brad Smith and gimped Woody who's replacement out played him?

Weird

"The biggest difference may eventually be any improvement in Mark Sanchez, "

"My improvement determines any kind of ceiling this team could have and our potential," Sanchez said. "We have all the potential in the world. Now is the time to realize that."

... the 2 sentences above are why we are better ... sanchez going into year 3 vs. sanchez going into year 2 ...

l_j_r

Woody was replaced just fine last year... Pool missed games and did not play every snap as it was last year... BSmith is replaced by Kerley

Brodney Pool was the biggest disappointment of all the guys we signed last year-Eric Smith, if he DOES end up starting is a better tackler than Pool. The Jets hate continues in The Daily News-big surprise

We are "definitely" a weaker team...like there's literally no chance that we might be better? All because of Brad Smith and gimped Woody who's replacement out played him?

Weird

Honestly the only thing I think there's even a chance the Jets could miss about Smith is his special teams coverage. That said, I had that concern last year when they lost Wright and by year's end McKnight was absolutely sick as a ST gunner in his place, so I'm not overly concerned. Kick returns are going to be less this year due to rule changes anyway, and Westhoff has shown an innate ability to pull Pro Bowl KRs out of his a$$. And frankly, less Wildcat would be nice, although we'll still likely see it anyway with two replacements, McKnight and Kerley, ready and waiting.

The only place I could possibly see an argument for the Jets downgrading is #2 WR (until Burress proves himself) and a position now manned by a certain unnamed player who is our greatest point of agreement when it comes to the Jets (or anything for that matter).

Honestly the only thing I think there's even a chance the Jets could miss about Smith is his special teams coverage. That said, I had that concern last year when they lost Wright and by year's end McKnight was absolutely sick as a ST gunner in his place, so I'm not overly concerned. Kick returns are going to be less this year due to rule changes anyway, and Westhoff has shown an innate ability to pull Pro Bowl KRs out of his a$$. And frankly, less Wildcat would be nice, although we'll still likely see it anyway with two replacements, McKnight and Kerley, ready and waiting.

The only place I could possibly see an argument for the Jets downgrading is #2 WR (until Burress proves himself) and a position now manned by a certain unnamed player who is our greatest point of agreement when it comes to the Jets (or anything for that matter).

Spot on. The rule changes totally change everything. Smith wont be the same here or there. And quite frankly, who gives a ****? He was an F'ing kick returner. Just like Leon and Justin Miller before him...we'll find a replacement and I trust Westy.

We'll be just fine on coverage, the changes make it easier and Westy excells in those areas. Between, McKnight/s, Conner, Kerley and others....we'll be just fine.

Plexico is the wild card, but 80% of him, is better than 100% of Edwards and Edwards production is very replaceable...the dude had multiple 1 and 2 catch games.

Woody, Pool, Gaylor, Pryce....please. If you really think our roster is worse because we lost them, you need to get your head checked.

I think we're worse on paper. But that doesn't mean we're actually worse as a team. What the roster comparisons leave out is the development of our younger players. McKnight should be better, Slauson should be better, Wilson should be better, Sanchez should be better. So the roster is upgraded by the development of previously inexperienced players. If two or three or these guys can really blossom, our roster actually improves.

Didn't read the article because visa's a crybaby this year and Gary Myers is a turtle.

I didnt write the article, and I dont remember reading where I agreed with it. I posted it for you all to see.

But you got your dig in at me, happy now? ;)

What a flaming load of sh*t. Losses: Woody, Taylor, Brad Smith, Clemens, Pool, Edwards, Coleman and Ellis. Gains: Entire draft class, Burress. Even if we are done making moves it's a push. If the Jets liked Edwards better they'd have signed him. Brad Smith did not return kicks in the playoffs - he was hurt. Cromartie was actually an improvement. Woody and Ellis are still out there to be had, the team is just smart enough not to spend a ton of money on a couple of guys so old that will probably be useless by the time their next deals run out. Hunter played for Woody down the stretch and in the playoffs. No discernible drop in talent. I hate Eric Smith as much as the next guy, but Pool was hurt a ton and was never anything approaching a "stud". I would assume they want another safety, but they have a quality rotation already. Strickland is probably better than Coleman assuming he doesn't get hurt. When the majority of your "Major Losses" are still kicking around on the street a week this long after the signing period began, they aren't that great.

I didnt write the article, and I dont remember reading where I agreed with it. I posted it for you all to see. But you got your dig in at me, happy now? ;)

As Jimmy said, please post the article and not the link. It would be helpful

JamesIhedigbo Another day of #grinding ……..patience is a virtue which is greater then success’ #jetsnation 8/2/11 12:23 PMI thought they had not signed Ihedigbo yet?

I read they had made an offer. I guess he didn't accept it yet.

As Jimmy said, please post the article and not the link. It would be helpful

Again if I post the article you guys wont be able to see the relevant pictures if there are any, ive been doing both based on the article. Dam tough crowd, cant please anyone. :D

Again if I post the article you guys wont be able to see the relevant pictures if there are any, ive been doing both based on the article. Dam tough crowd, cant please anyone. :D

We've been bitching about it for years and you keep doing it. I don't even open any thread of yours posting an article until there are at least 10 responses, by then somebody usually posts it.

Since your head cannot wrap around it I will give you step by step instructions so you stop posting just links.

Step one - Past link

Step two - Past article

Done

Since your head cannot wrap around it I will give you step by step instructions so you stop posting just links.

Step one - Past link

Step two - Past article

Done

My system set up doesnt allow the pictures to be shown when I copy and paste. I post the articles when there isnt a relevant picture to the article, when there is I post the link. THANK YOU

I will do my best in the future. :D

I think you need to simplify this for visa. Seems too complicated.

Holy sh*t it really was too complicated... lol

My system set up doesnt allow the pictures to be shown when I copy and paste. I post the articles when there isnt a relevant picture to the article, when there is I post the link. THANK YOU

I will do my best in the future. :D

How about post the link AND the article and we can click the link to see the pics if we want? CRAZY!

Archived