All things Cotchery

MarylandJetsFan

Mason isnt a bad WR though. He's averaging over 1,000 Yds the last 10 years.

It is an upgrade.

I agree but there has not been an announcement anywhere that he actually signed.

To be honest I think the Jets LOVE this Kerley kid and will wait for other veteran salary cap casualties

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cotch was done we all saw it. not worth the cap hit. thanks jericho and good luck but thems the breaks.

Cap consequence is minimal. Save $1.8M, sign Mason for $1M+(?).

I think the difference is they like the 37 year old Mason more. Or Cotchery's hurt much worse than any of us thought. He's made statements saying he's healthy, though, and the Jets are now saying he's asked to be released or traded - so who the hell knows?

Is Mason even signed?

I agree but there has not been an announcement anywhere that he actually signed.

To be honest I think the Jets LOVE this Kerley kid and will wait for other veteran salary cap casualties

I think Kerly is going to be a player. And I think you're probably right, there could be some casualties, but in the end the Jets invested in Holmes. If they sign Mason, they have 2 good WR for 1 year fliers. Or they find another vet, if Mason doesnt sign. And then, I bet they draft a WR next season.

Shady sh*t. Following the tweets, Rex made it sound like he begged Cotchery to stay but Cotchery refused. Then Cotchery's wife told a reporter that Cotch didn't want to "get into a back and forth" with the Jets. It sounds like he knew the writing was on the wall and that he was going to get Clemens'd--strung along until the end of camp and then told to take the minimum or GTFO.

Shady sh*t. Following the tweets, Rex made it sound like he begged Cotchery to stay but Cotchery refused. Then Cotchery's wife told a reporter that Cotch didn't want to "get into a back and forth" with the Jets. It sounds like he knew the writing was on the wall and that he was going to get Clemens'd--strung along until the end of camp and then told to take the minimum or GTFO.

YUP.

Sounds very plausible.

For all you guys talking about Edwards and his off the field stuff, what is the difference between him and Holmes? You do know Holmes is a violation away from a 1 year suspension.

So then it doesn't make sense to sign 2 of those types does it? One is plenty and the Jets chose their one.

Interesting insight. If I was going to take a side on who to believe I'm going with Cotch as I can't think of too many more stand up guys then him. But with that said, what the **** does it matter anymore. Farewell and Good Luck J-Co. I'll always remember you as one of my favorite Jets.

I love Holmes, but I'll take the one with the 1 year/3.5 million contract.

Easy to say in hindsight. At the time we signed Holmes, Edwards wanted the same money. Do you think it's wise for a GM to sign neither one and gamble the whole season on no one signing Edwards just so we could scoop him up for an imaginary amount of money you say he would have agreed to with the Jets? If Tannenbaum did that he's a bigger fool than you're accusing him of being.

There is virtually no way we could have signed Edwards for that money if Holmes wasn't already signed, and there is no evidence that we could have outbid SF by $100,000 and gotten Edwards. Just because he signed with SF for that money does not automatically mean it's assured he would have taken the same deal here.

We already have Holmes, Plaxico, Cotchery/Mason, and Keller. Too many bodies for only 1 football for Edwards to have a statistical re-emergence type of season, which he's hoping to achieve by signing a 1-year deal.

It's a dog eat dog world.

OK first I'll vent my frustration over losing a very good player who's been here for a while now: This is horse, bull, and camel sh*t.

Now how I just made this make sense to me:

- Mason is at a point in his career where he doesn't mind being the 3rd/slot WR.

- Cotchery is at a point in his career where he can get a good contract to be someone's #2 WR.

- If the Jets keep Cotchery for 2011/2012 they keep him to blatantly force him into the slot again.

- With Kerley the Jets drafted a guy who Mason can mentor and eventually give up his role to. I'm not sure a prime of his career guy like Cotchery would welcome his replacement so readily.

- Cotchery isn't a must keep talent, as solid of a WR as he's been here. He's had his share of really awkward drops.

Cotchery has 2 of the greatest catches all time for the Jets: last season against Cleveland with the leg injury and a few years back when he landed on the back on a patsie* receiver and got back up and scored. I do not like this one bit. Our team is getting very old right before our eyes.

Cotchery has 2 of the greatest catches all time for the Jets: last season against Cleveland with the leg injury and a few years back when he landed on the back on a patsie* receiver and got back up and scored. I do not like this one bit. Our team is getting very old right before our eyes.

Old at WR

Young at DL and QB

I'd take that trade, I think.

Rex Ryan says Jerricho Cotchery asked for trade or release

Published: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 7:10 PM Updated: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 8:22 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Follow 0

Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit

Email

Print

John Munson/The Star-LedgerRex Ryan said he tried to convince Jerricho Cotchery to stay with the Jets.

Jerricho Cotchery's tenure with the Jets ended today, a move which coach Rex Ryan called "tough." But Ryan also revealed that Cotchery asked for a trade or release.

Ryan did not give a reason. Both he and quarterback Mark Sanchez said they he tried to get Cotchery to stay when they heard of his request earlier this week.

"You hate to see great people leave your building," Ryan said. "I wish him well, and I'm sure he's going to have many more years left playing."

Ryan said Cotchery's release was not related to the team's interest in former Ravens receiver Derrick Mason, and he said he is also not sure where things stand with Mason. Asked why they did not decline his request, Ryan was not sure how to respond.

Discussing Plaxico Burress' ankle injury, Jerricho Cotchery, and the rest of the receivers

New York Jets beat reporters Jenny Vrentas and Conor Orr talk about Plaxico Burress' injury to his ankle, Jerricho Cotchery's tenure with the Jets, and the rest of the receivers. (Video by Ed Murray/The Star-Ledger)

Watch video

"Every situation is different, I guess," Ryan said. "This situation is what it is and, again, I don't know what else to tell you."

Cotchery said earlier "there's no worse news for me" than his release, adding that he hoped to play his entire career with the Jets.

But he also told The Star-Ledger earlier today that he had considered that a change of scenery might be good for him.

"No question, yeah," Cotchery said. "I don’t want to get into specific details, but I have. I have. I have, to be honest. I don’t know how to say it."

Cotchery said he did share his feelings with some members of the coaching staff.

"I don’t want to say which coaches, but I have shared it," Cotchery said. "A lot of people didn’t see it that way."

Asked if some of his feelings related to the team bringing in other receivers that they put ahead of him on the depth chart — like Edwards, Holmes and now Plaxico Burress — Cotchery paused again.

"For me, I don’t know how to look at it," he said. "When I became a starter, I performed well as a starter. Last year, I just had a tough deal, a tough deal with a lot of things. I don’t want to get into specifics with a lot of things. Everybody knows I had the injury, but it’s more than just an injury. But at the end of the day, for the most part, I played well. I look at it now: I got the surgery out of the way, I’m healthy, I just turned 29 years old, I'm ready to play football. so that’s what it's all about now."

Cotchery is coming off offseason back surgery and, while he has been cleared by the doctor who performed his surgery, he started training camp on the physically unable to perform list. A trade was not an option, he said, because other teams could not be certain about his health.

"I was just, I think a little disappointed that he's gone now, but at the same time we still have one goal and we need to do what's best for the team," Sanchez said. "And he wanted to do what's best for him, and that's just fine, so we'll move on and wish him the very best."

Randy Moss (TEN) – Moss has burned a few bridges already, but there will be a niche market for Randy Moss this year. Given the admiration Moss has shown for the Patriots organization, they’ll have the first crack, but I’d be shocked if anything materialized on that end. Rumors suggest Moss is in “freakish shape” and will return with a “chip on his shoulder.” If either of those hold true, he will be a bargain. It will take a stable locker room to bring that out in Moss.

Terrell Owens (CIN) – Given his age, baggage, and the recent surfacing of his ACL injury, the market for Owens diminishes every year. I wouldn’t be entirely shocked if he’s played his last down in the NFL, but He will be playing football somewhere next year. He loves the game too much to have it robbed from him by injury.

James Jones (GB) – Will the Packers be willing to pay Jones like a starting receiver? With his known case of the drops and Jordy Nelson’s big Super Bowl, the Packers aren’t expected to retain Jones. Though he doesn’t have the reputation of other receivers, he has age and potential on his side. He’s a complete receiver with the entire route tree under his belt.

Malcom Floyd (SD) – Floyd was given the highest tender last offseason and came through for the Chargers. However, it’s expected that the Chargers will only retain one of Floyd or Jackson and the latter seems more likely right now. Floyd is a tall, athletic downfield threat with the body control to become a number one receiver in the league. He’ll be heavily pursued by several teams.

Steve Smith (NYG) – Smith was the perfect slot receiver for the Giants’ terrific threesome and was on his way to his second consecutive 1000-yard season before an injury derailed him in the middle of the year. He’s fully expected to re-sign with the Giants, but will be at least limited for start of training camp.

Archived