All things Cotchery

MarylandJetsFan

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funny thing is, we may very well do. If Mason keeps up playing the way he has played and Burress returns to something close to what he was we'll blow teams away.

I'm not ruling out either of those things happening, not even both. I just don't see it as likely, in fact I would say the chances of it blowing up in our faces completely is more likely than both guys working out the way I said.

I though Cotchery, with his years of solid production, would have been a safer bet, but I get that this team doesn't do safe. I normally love Tanny's moves but right now I think he's gone too far and I can't make any sense of it at all.

Fair enough brother...I see it opposite. I think Plax is going to be beastly. If Mike Williams can be an utter bust, get up to 300lbs, leave the league for 3 years and comeback and be the Seahawks best WR, then Plax will be just fine.

Mason is an upgrade over Cotch. Period.

Holmes is a top 10 WR.

And as much as you hate Keller, I see more having a huge impact on him w/ Moore giving him guidance and trying to turn him into a Dallas Clark.

We have 4 solid options at RB and a nasty Oline. The Jets offense is going to be very very difficult to defend.

I agree with all of that except for Welker being JAG.

Overrated JAG. Put him with another QB and he's poop.

A year is a long time for a football player. I was amazed that he managed to produce at 36, I'll be even more amazed if he does it this season. I never once ruled out that he may, I've said for year that I love Mason as a player, but to EXPECT him to carry on playing the way he was is crazy. For Cotchery, I don't believe it is.

Cotchery is a bigger health risk than Mason for the 2011 season.

Wow, you're really losing it dude. The only thing coming out of Jets camp was that he requested to be released or traded. All of the talk regarding him not being happy with his position on the team and wanting a change of scenery is based on his own words, you do realize that right? Even still, none of it has even come remotely close to painting Cotchery in a negative way.

I guess that's how we know it's football time again, Tom's irrational hatred of Tanny is back in full force.

Dude, did you read that despicable Manish Mehta article this morning? Now Cotch wanted to be traded before the draft because he knew he wouldn't start...even though he was the only WR under contract? Oh, and he "refused" a pay cut? Even if all that is true, why even say it? Why not just issue the ol' "...He was a great player for us, but it was in both his and the team's interest to move on" PERIOD. It makes the organization look small--again--to air the dirty laundry of a respected veteran. Like I said, typical Tannenbaum.

Dude, did you read that despicable Manish Mehta article this morning? Now Cotch wanted to be traded before the draft because he knew he wouldn't start...even though he was the only WR under contract? Oh, and he "refused" a pay cut? Even if all that is true, why even say it? Why not just issue the ol' "...He was a great player for us, but it was in both his and the team's interest to move on" PERIOD. It makes the organization look small--again--to air the dirty laundry of a respected veteran. Like I said, typical Tannenbaum.

The article doesn't even suggest the Jets asked him to take a paycut:

Cotchery had completed three years of a five-year, $19 million deal. He was scheduled to earn a $1.8 million base salary in 2011 and $2 million base salary in 2012. In February, Cotchery was concerned that his diminished role as the No. 3 wide receiver behind Santonio Holmes and the departed Braylon Edwards, who signed with the Niners Thursday, would hurt him in his attempt to get a contract extension, according to a source. The Jets wanted Cotchery to play out his contract that was set to expire after the 2012 season.

Who cares?

I don't believe Rex and Tanny in this spat, sorry. I believe they asked him to take a paycut, he said no and so they cut bait. HEre is what his teammates are saying:

(from ny post)

Cotchery was one of the most popular Jets with the fans and one of the most respected Jets in his locker room.

"He's the ultimate teammate, he's the ultimate competitor and that's why it hurts to see him leave," Sanchez said. "It's really too bad."

Cornerback Darrelle Revis said Cotchery "means the world to this organization from my eyes."

"From me coming in as a rookie and seeing him, seeing how he has improved every year to being one of the top receivers in this league," Revis said. "He doesn't probably have the numbers of the top receivers in this league but he's done a lot, done a lot for this organization. He has a clean record. He's not out here getting in trouble."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_to_jerricho_cotch_ya_later_BLkQ7IkDnCWOQRYWIfIr8O#ixzz1UAZfNKxi

Right. Better to let the internet world swirl and make things up.

If the Jets say nothing, the story today is "Team cuts old, expensive player." Instead, they turn it into "Ultra-benevolent franchise begs veteran WR back, but delusion, greed force WR to shun magnanimity."

I don't believe Rex and Tanny in this spat, sorry. I believe they asked him to take a paycut, he said no and so they cut bait. HEre is what his teammates are saying:

(from ny post)

Cotchery was one of the most popular Jets with the fans and one of the most respected Jets in his locker room.

"He's the ultimate teammate, he's the ultimate competitor and that's why it hurts to see him leave," Sanchez said as he drooled over Jeremy Kerley's perfomance in practice. "It's really too bad."

Cornerback Darrelle Revis said Cotchery "means the world to this organization from my eyes" and then lit a cigar with a 1000-dollar bill.

"From me coming in as a rookie and seeing him, seeing how he has improved every year to being one of the top receivers in this league," Revis said. "He doesn't probably have the numbers of the top receivers in this league but he's done a lot, done a lot for this organization. He has a clean record. He's not out here getting in trouble."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_to_jerricho_cotch_ya_later_BLkQ7IkDnCWOQRYWIfIr8O#ixzz1UAZfNKxi

Fixed.

If the Jets say nothing, the story today is "Team cuts old, expensive player." Instead, they turn it into "Ultra-benevolent franchise begs veteran WR back, but delusion, greed force WR to shun magnanimity."

Tom, did you actually read the article in the Daily News? Because I don't think you did. Either that or you can't read.

Cotchery was HORRIBLE last year. That should at least worry you for this year. I don't want Mason either but they can upgrade that position.

now for some sacrilege. Cotchery and Braylon both looked good catching with guys hanging all over them. But that is because neither of them gets separation (unless Braylon goes deep). Getting some receivers who separate might improve Sanchez' completion percentage. He forces a lot and throws the ball away a lot. Not sure Mason is the guy, but Mark needs freer targets.

What is the debate about for whom to "believe"? The story is quite simple.

Cotchery is 29 yrs old in the 2nd to last year of his contract. At best, he has only 1 big NFL contract left in him. He WON'T get that contract by being the Jets' No. 3 WR. Cotchery knows that.

Unfortunately for him he's hurt, so he won't get anything now. He has to wait to get healthy, sign with a new team on a 1 yr deal and then look to get a longterm contract next year from someone.

So from Cotchery's long-term financial perspective, getting cut by the Jets is a good thing.

What is the debate about for whom to "believe"? The story is quite simple.

Cotchery is 29 yrs old in the 2nd to last year of his contract. At best, he has only 1 big NFL contract left in him. He WON'T get that contract by being the Jets' No. 3 WR. Cotchery knows that.

Unfortunately for him he's hurt, so he won't get anything now. He has to wait to get healthy, sign with a new team on a 1 yr deal and then look to get a longterm contract next year from someone.

So from Cotchery's long-term financial perspective, getting cut by the Jets is a good thing.

Cotchery has said he is healthy but the team put him on the PUP list and he couldn't practice.

Cotchery has said he is healthy but the team put him on the PUP list and he couldn't practice.

Cotchery is actually rehabbing his back and failed the physical.

Regardless, now he has to take a physical with any team he wishes to sign. He can pass or fail. If he fails he could ask for them to waive it and sign him.

If he manages to hook up with his buddy Phil Rivers, he'll be in the money soon enough.

Exactly. The only way Cotchery gets a long term deal to his liking is as a No. 2 WR. He'll be the Jets No. 3, which undermines his financial future. Big numbers thanks to Rivers would help.

When is that question ever applicable on a message board?

Sorry, let me rephrase. He's openly admitted to refusing a pay cut this year. He's openly admitted to bitching about his role in the offense. He's old and beat to sh*t and wants another payday, and to top it all off he pulled a Chad by saying he thought he "play[ed] well" in 2010 (-23.1% DVOA). So I guess my question is: explain to me the smear campaign thing again?

You're off the reservation. No matter what was said or unsaid, the consensus among people with sub-80 IQs (i.e. every beat reporter and 60% of the people who post here) was always going to be WHAT A CLASSLESS MOVE TO RELEASE A LIFELONG JET WARRIOR TODAY IS A DARK DERP.

Sorry, let me rephrase. He's openly admitted to refusing a pay cut this year. He's openly admitted to bitching about his role in the offense. He's old and beat to sh*t and wants another payday, and to top it all off he pulled a Chad by saying he thought he "play[ed] well" in 2010 (-23.1% DVOA). So I guess my question is: explain to me the smear campaign thing again?

You're off the reservation. No matter what was said or unsaid, the consensus among people with sub-80 IQs (i.e. every beat reporter and 60% of the people who post here) was always going to be WHAT A CLASSLESS MOVE TO RELEASE A LIFELONG JET WARRIOR TODAY IS A DARK DERP.

NIGHTMARE FUEL

Mouth-Eyes.jpg

I officially <3 you.

I am not intellectually capable of issuing a coherent rebuttal to any of these points and I don't think that makes me a bad person.

Archived