RUMOR: Shaun Ellis works out with + gets offer from Pats

MikeJetsWord

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

#Patriots worked out Shaun Ellis, per ESPN Boston. #Jets have 1-yr offer for vet minimum on the table.

incarceratedbob incarcerated bob

**BREAKING NFL NEWS**Source:The enemy strikes again? Patriots have offered Jets (DE) Ellis a multi-year deal (2-3 Mill + Incentives) #Close

Take the second one with a grain of salt. We all know about IC Bob, but if true, this is unacceptable. Losing two of our longest tenured players in the same day. Wow

Sounds like nonsense, but if NE's willing to pay him that much then that's their business. You don't go after players or pay players more than they're worth to prevent someone else from getting him. That's how you end up with Vernon Gholston 6th in the country and Calvin Pace for $7M/year (then the highest contract for a non-pro-bowl LB in NFL history. Of course that distinction now belongs to David Harris).

Sounds like nonsense, but if NE's willing to pay him that much then that's their business. You don't go after players or pay players more than they're worth to prevent someone else from getting him. That's how you end up with Vernon Gholston 6th in the country and Calvin Pace for $7M/year (then the highest contract for a non-pro-bowl LB in NFL history. Of course that distinction now belongs to David Harris).

What OLB should they have signed instead of Pace? He's been a B level Jet. Overpaid but not a bust.

agree,but they did slap him in the face with the vet minimum.imo,ellis is worth more than vet minimum.i would go as far as to say twice as much

agree,but they did slap him in the face with the vet minimum.imo,ellis is worth more than vet minimum.i would go as far as to say twice as much

They did no such thing. They offered him a contract when no other NFL team did. If he was clearly worth twice that he wouldn't have been available. I think he is - for one year anyway - worth in the range you're talking. But he's worth what the market bears. And the market places a premium on players with a future (probably too much so).

I am not shocked... eventually the early 2000's JETS had to go... I mean seriously they all can't stay forever and they arent getting any better. I started trading Ellis and Cotch in madden back in 08'...lol

They did no such thing. They offered him a contract when no other NFL team did. If he was clearly worth twice that he wouldn't have been available. I think he is - for one year anyway - worth in the range you're talking. But he's worth what the market bears. And the market places a premium on players with a future (probably too much so).

things take time.free agency is not over.alot of teams are sitting in the weeds,waiting for the dust to settle.it was a slap in the face offer.if you think a team wont pony up 2m+,you have underestimated ellis' ability

things take time.free agency is not over.alot of teams are sitting in the weeds,waiting for the dust to settle.it was a slap in the face offer.if you think a team wont pony up 2m+,you have underestimated ellis' ability

And what if Rex & Tannenbaum don't feel he's worth $2M to the Jets this year? You don't make offers or not make offers based on what might be perceivd as an insult. The Jets are interested in him as their last DE backup. That position mght be seen to be an be worth $500K. If that can be filled with ellis for just under $1M fine. But that roster spot may not be worth $2-3M for the next 2 years (as is the current rumor). Or it may be an opening negotiating bid. Time will tell.

Archived