Kerley Most Impressive Skill Position Player In First Pads Session

flgreen

Jets notes: Team holds first practice in pads

Friday, August 5, 2011

The Record

Popping the pads

It finally seemed like a Rex Ryan camp Thursday afternoon.

That’s because, per the new NFL rules regarding player safety, the Jets were permitted to hold their first practice in pads, which meant hitting was back in vogue. Even better news was the fact that the new CBA finally was ratified by the players shortly before 5 p.m., meaning that Jets who had signed new or restructured contracts could get on the practice field after sitting out the first three days.

Only wide receivers Plaxico Burress (ankle) and Santonio Holmes (not warmed up) didn’t participate at all.

"It was a great practice," Ryan gushed afterward.

Quarterback Mark Sanchez joked that having Burress on the sidelines, but not participating, was like "staring at [a luxury car] in the dealer window, but it’s got a flat tire."

Making an impression

With the Jets facing a shortage of wide receivers during practice, the opportunity was there for someone to take advantage. And for one day, someone did.

Jeremy Kerley, a fifth-round draft choice from TCU, was the most impressive skill-position player during the afternoon session. Kerley, who projects as a slot receiver and also is part of the competitions to return kickoffs and punts, showed good route-running ability, soft hands and a burst of speed.

With the current uncertainty at the position, Kerley could have a chance to rise up the depth chart.

Briefs

Ryan talked up the performance of rookie defensive linemen Muhammad Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis after the afternoon practice, saying each had "about two or three sacks." Of course, practice sacks are estimated because defenders aren’t allowed to hit the quarterback. … The Jets will have an open practice today at 2:15 p.m.

— J.P. Pelzman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope he can step up and continue to impress. I haven't seen any of him in college so I literally know nothing.

Really?

I feel like TCU was on all the time. Saw a bunch of their games, and that guy always stood out as someone who would be a perfect little slot WR with tons of versatility. One game I watched, he caught a TD pass, took a hand off, took a direct snap, and was returning kicks.

Wont lie, didnt follow the draft as much as I typically do this season with the lockout and all...but I remembered his name instantly when we drafted him and thought...damn, dude fell to the 5th? Same thing with Powell (who Casserly thinks is the best value pick in the entire draft).

Really?

I feel like TCU was on all the time. Saw a bunch of their games, and that guy always stood out as someone who would be a perfect little slot WR with tons of versatility. One game I watched, he caught a TD pass, took a hand off, took a direct snap, and was returning kicks.

Wont lie, didnt follow the draft as much as I typically do this season with the lockout and all...but I remembered his name instantly when we drafted him and thought...damn, dude fell to the 5th? Same thing with Powell (who Casserly thinks is the best value pick in the entire draft).

I literally watched a total of 20 minutes of college football last year. 2nd half of the "civil war" game here in Oregon and dismissively wanked the entire time. I loathe college ball. But good to hear he's a baller with talent.

Really?

I remember the Jets going to see him workout, and everyone thought they were there to see Dalton. Jets came right out and said they were there to see Kerley, and no one believed them. I wasn't surprised when the Jets made the move up to take him.

I like the Powell pick, too. I think he's going to push Greene to be better, or he's going to replace him in short order. Was hoping to hear about him in these early practices, but maybe he's not as up to speed with the playbook as Kerley. Kerley has obviously shown up to win a job. Good sign.

I literally watched a total of 20 minutes of college football last year. 2nd half of the "civil war" game here in Oregon and dismissively wanked the entire time. I loathe college ball. But good to hear he's a baller with talent.

Didnt know that, for someone reason I thought you followed college ball. I love it...well, Football in general..but I have a lot more free time than you. :P

I remember the Jets going to see him workout, and everyone thought they were there to see Dalton. Jets came right out and said they were there to see Kerley, and no one believed them. I wasn't surprised when the Jets made the move up to take him.

I like the Powell pick, too. I think he's going to push Greene to be better, or he's going to replace him in short order. Was hoping to hear about him in these early practices, but maybe he's not as up to speed with the playbook as Kerley. Kerley has obviously shown up to win a job. Good sign.

The kid's timing was impecable. I hope he see's the opportunity in front of him and takes that #3 spot. Feel like I remember reading that he doesnt want his rookie season to be just on ST's...the kids goal is to be a WR.

Powell also has a much more difficult hill to climb in terms of the depth chart. Kerley practiced with the Jets top 2 WRs sitting out and their #3 being released. Not that he doesn't deserve a great amount of credit for being so impressive when given the chance, but the opportunity kind of fell in his lap. As for Powell, the Jets are going to make him earn his reps over LT, Greene and yes, even McKnight. I think he'll get there, and agree with you on his presence on this team, but I think he could end up being more like the 2009 version of Greene, in terms of his position on the team. There's a lot of guys ahead of him that the coaches really like, and on top of doing whatever he can to impress them himself, he'll also need to bide his time to an extent. That said, if Greene comes out of the gate slow, that could all change very quickly.

Powell also has a much more difficult hill to climb in terms of the depth chart. Kerley practiced with the Jets top 2 WRs sitting out and their #3 being released. Not that he doesn't deserve a great amount of credit for being so impressive when given the chance, but the opportunity kind of fell in his lap. As for Powell, the Jets are going to make him earn his reps over LT, Greene and yes, even McKnight. I think he'll get there, and agree with you on his presence on this team, but I think he could end up being more like the 2009 version of Greene, in terms of his position on the team. There's a lot of guys ahead of him that the coaches really like, and on top of doing whatever he can to impress them himself, he'll also need to bide his time to an extent. That said, if Greene comes out of the gate slow, that could all change very quickly.

These are great points.

The thing that I think Powell has going for him is that he was it in college. He was their offense. He can catch out of the backfield too. Team would key in on stopping him...and they couldnt.

Hope he can step up and continue to impress. I haven't seen any of him in college so I literally know nothing.

I watch much more College Football then the pros, except the Jets. Like Jif I was very surprised and happy to see Kerley come to the Jets late. Kid is real dangerous in space.

Hope this link works

I watch much more College Football then the pros, except the Jets. Like Jif I was very surprised and happy to see Kerley come to the Jets late. Kid is real dangerous in space.

Hope this link works

I think I messed myself a little when I watched that punt return that started at about the 40 sec mark. That was impressive.

These are great points.

The thing that I think Powell has going for him is that he was it in college. He was their offense. He can catch out of the backfield too. Team would key in on stopping him...and they couldnt.

This is what I like about Powell. I think he can do everything Greene does rushing the football, but he brings the added dimension of being a natural pass catcher.

It is, but it's not a name school like the big time programs. They are getting bigger but even Boise St. is a bigger name right now. And they have less than 8K undergrads. That's pretty small all things considered.

I miss the Southwest Conference.

TCU was a major player back in the day. Before conference consolidation and the BCS killed all that was great about college football.

TCU has produced the following superstars: Sammy Baugh (the NFL's first superstar QB and the NY Titans' first head coach,) Davey O'Brien (who the award for the best QB in college football is named after,) Jim Swink, Bob Lilly, and our own LaDainian Tomlinson.

It is, but it's not a name school like the big time programs. They are getting bigger but even Boise St. is a bigger name right now. And they have less than 8K undergrads. That's pretty small all things considered.

Your right as far as student polpulation goes, but not as far as football goes. TCU is currently ranked #15 in the preseason standings ahead of traditional power houses like,Ohio State, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Penn State, and Miami. Hey, Boise State is ranked #7 they have become a power house. of course that's until the first weekend

Don't be silly, that distinction belongs to Scotty McWhite.

:lol:

I know Scotty has become our favorite whipping boy as "Sanchez's Pet", and he may be, but one thing about the kid his is always open, has decent speed, and catches the ball. i have a feeling he is going to be a surprise.

:lol:

I know Scotty has become our favorite whipping boy as "Sanchez's Pet", and he may be, but one thing about the kid his is always open, has decent speed, and catches the ball. i have a feeling he is going to be a surprise.

I do actually think he's got a legit shot to make the team as the #5 WR and if not, is a sure bet to make the PS. You're right, despite his association with Sanchez, the kid is a legit football player and while he's probably never going to be a starting caliber player, he certainly has a chance to be a contributor.

Sanchez is in his 3rd year and is going to be paid about $15 million this year (he hasn't been asked to restructure). It's his job to make it work at WR. If it's Kerley, Turner, or any other young guy.

Sanchez, make it work.

Archived