S Jim Leonhard, Dwight Lowery, Byron Landor

SPECIAL TEAMS

K Nick Folk, Nick Novak

P T.J. Conley, Chris Bryan

H T.J. Conley, Chris Bryan

PR Jeremy Kerley, Kyle Wilson, Joe McKnight

KR Jeremy Kerley, Kyle Wilson, Antonio Cromartie

LS Tanner Purdum, Matt Mulligan

Analysis: No real surprises, except for maybe Conley ahead of Bryan. So far, Bryan has outpunted Conley ... Clearly, there are some depth issues on the offensive line and an inside linebacker ... Kerley is going to be a busy man ... Five experienced corners, always a plus in Rex Ryan's system ... Payne vs. Turner for the fifth receiver spot. Right now, Payne gets the edge because of special teams.

I posted it on the predict the 53 man roster thread fg

Just a minor question.

In a 3-4 base, I would expect the designations to be Will and Sam, with Mike being for a 4-3. Any insight?

Also, given the 'hip', I can't see how Wilkerson is ahead of Pitotua on the right side. It may change by week 1, but it seems odd to me.

Probably too early for it to matter, but ITEMS OF NOTE:

Lowery is ahead of Cook at Safety.

Toal is playing FB, not LB.

Bellore is already ahead of Satele.

McIntyre is a top backup at OLB. Bit predicted this. Former Cardinals 2nd round pick Cody Brown was already cut, Bit said he didn't think Brown was very good.

I think they are fine at ILB. The starters are strong and they liked Mauga and Satele a lot. Rex has been gushing about Bellore and Westerman has practiced there in the past.

I'm also not that worried about OL depth. I think they will keep the same guys as last year, add one to replace Woody - maybe Felix he's been around forever. I think they'll add some last round cuts to the practice squad. Turner is solid at all 3 inside spots and we have to hope that Ducasse can be a valid T if somebody gets hurt.

My notes would be:

KEllis ahead of Tevaseu is a good sign.

Listing a second FB (Toal) over a 4th RB (Powell) isn't the way I expect the final roster to shake out.

Scotty McKnight is nowhere to be found, either.

Jim Leonhard isn't even third on the punt returner list?

Julian Posey was one of the Jets' priority UDFA's (along with Bellore), be interesting to see if he makes the final roster. Definitely a guy I want to see in the preseason as well.

My notes would be:

Listing a second FB (Toal) over a 4th RB (Powell) isn't the way I expect the final roster to shake out.

Julian Posey was one of the Jets' priority UDFA's (along with Bellore), be interesting to see if he makes the final roster. Definitely a guy I want to see in the preseason as well.

yea slats-apparently Westhoff really likes what he's been seeing from Logan Payne on special teams so that pushes Scotty down-he'll be safe on this year's PS and will contribute as a scout receiver I'm sure. Jimmy Leonhard was told by Rex no returning this year-he's too valuable as an onfield coach to risk-remember Jason Sehorn? Yea, and Bilal Powell WILL be on the team and not a PSer-he'd get snapped up in a a NY minute there

My notes would be:

As far as the missing people, apparently this is a cut down listing from Cimini. SoFla posted another version in the other thread that has the full breakdown, including Powell, McWhite, and all of them.

Other than that, as far as PR goes Rex has made it clear that he has no intention of letting Leonhard go back there anymore. With the drafting of Kerley who will clearly take on the job and a number of other young, backup players more than capable of doing it as well I think he just doesn't see the risk of putting a starter (one coming off of injury no less) in that position anymore.

yea slats-apparently Westhoff really likes what he's been seeing from Logan Payne on special teams so that pushes Scotty down-he'll be safe on this year's PS and will contribute as a scout receiver I'm sure. Jimmy Leonhard was told by Rex no returning this year-he's too valuable as an onfield coach to risk-remember Jason Sehorn? Yea, and Bilal Powell WILL be on the team and not a PSer-he'd get snapped up in a a NY minute there

I saw that about Payne, too. Really, another good sign. Are they using him in the gunner role? At 6'2" - 210, and decent speed, he'd seem to be built for it.

Other than that, as far as PR goes Rex has made it clear that he has no intention of letting Leonhard go back there anymore. With the drafting of Kerley who will clearly take on the job and a number of other young, backup players more than capable of doing it as well I think he just doesn't see the risk of putting a starter (one coming off of injury no less) in that position anymore.

I get that.

But I'd think Leonhard would still be on the list as the bad weather sure handed designated fair catcher.

I posted it on the predict the 53 man roster thread fg

All in all this is not a bad team. We have some very serious talent and good depth. We have our core of guys having been here for a couple years too. This could be a very good year for us. Hopefully less sporadic play from sanchez.

Nobody concerned that Ducasse is looking lile a second-round bust at this point? Okay. Guess I won't worry either.:unsure:

no nobody is worried right now lance becvause we don't NEED him right now-he can continue to develop on the 2nd team, and learn-like Wayne Hunter was able to all those years as a back-up

Nobody concerned that Ducasse is looking lile a second-round bust at this point? Okay. Guess I won't worry either.:unsure:

Will Beatty didn't accomplish any more than Ducasse as a rookie and the Giants are counting on him to be their LT. Did you honestly expect the guy to switch positions twice in 2 years coming out of UMass and be a stud from day 1?

Will Beatty didn't accomplish any more than Ducasse as a rookie and the Giants are counting on him to be their LT. Did you honestly expect the guy to switch positions twice in 2 years coming out of UMass and be a stud from day 1?

Oh, its day 1? Sorry, I didn't know. I thought we drafted a second rounder last year that is showing absolutely nothing. Matt Slauson became a starter year 2 and he was a 6th rounder. Sorry, I'm just a Ducasse basher lately. I expected him to be a beast. But he seems to be on his back a little too often.

Oh, its day 1? Sorry, I didn't know. I thought we drafted a second rounder last year that is showing absolutely nothing. Matt Slauson became a starter year 2 and he was a 6th rounder. Sorry, I'm just a Ducasse basher lately. I expected him to be a beast. But he seems to be on his back a little too often.

he'll be fine lance-we have the best OL coach in the NFL who will mold him into a starter when needed-in the meantime we have Rob Turner filling in at RG

He was drafted as a project. The guy didn't know what a football was until his junior year in high school (or something like that). I'd like him to be further along, too, but I'm not surprised where he is right now - especially without the benefit of an off season program this year. I'm not ready to sound the alarm just yet.

He was drafted as a project. The guy didn't know what a football was until his junior year in high school (or something like that). I'd like him to be further along, too, but I'm not surprised where he is right now - especially without the benefit of an off season program this year. I'm not ready to sound the alarm just yet.

great point slats-in fact I read somewhere this off season how the lockout would be affecting a player LIKE Vlad the most-along with the whole 2011 rookie class IMHO

personally, i am more interested in the sum than the parts when it comes to the OLINE. Our nemesis has beefed up their DL and it looks like they will run more of a 4-3 with some real weight. I like having a strong set of 5 regardless of where or what year they were drafted. That being said, we will know if they are worried if they bring the WOOD back.

last year the Jets carried 24 offensive and 26 defensive players along with the OK, P, and LS it broke down this way;

OFFENSE...

QB; 3

HB: 3

FB: 2

WR: 5

TE: 4

OL: 7

DEFENSE...

DL: 8

LB: 8

DB: 10

I don't see us carrying 2 FBs and 4 TEs this season-definitely 4 HBs and Conner and if we're going to carry 4 TEs again we better damn well find another one who can CATCH the football-sign Crumpler-he can block and catch

My notes would be:

Rex said Leonhard will not be returning punts at all this year...

I actually saw him in action last Sun and he looked fairly polished coming out of the backfield. Tenacious blocker too (started a fight, which hasn't been mentioned in camp reports) I like him.

He is a bruiser and comes from a family of great football players. He is legit. His only downside is being injury prone. I think he can be a real good, cheap, addition to our team.

Jets release first depth chart

Here's the first official depth chart, three deep

OFFENSE

WR Plaxico Burress, Jeremy Kerley, Logan Payne

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Dennis Landolt, Chris Duron

LG Matt Slauson, Chris Stewart, Taylor Boggs

C Nick Mangold, Robby Felix, Zane Taylor

RG Brandon Moore, Robert Turner, Matt Kroul

RT Wayne Hunter, Vladimir Ducasse, Pete Clifford

TE Dustin Keller, Matt Mulligan, Jeff Cumberland

WR Santonio Holmes, Derrick Mason, Patrick Turner

QB Mark Sanchez, Mark Brunell, Greg McElroy

FB John Conner, Brian Toal

RB Shonn Greene, LaDainian Tomlinson, Joe McKnight

Most of this is expected, nothing all that surprising. But then again, this is only the 1st depth chart, most definitely not the last. I'm stil expecting some changes to be made here and there heading into the regular season, once we get a chance to see what we have in rookies such as Scotty McKnight etc during the preseason. I'm pulling for that kid to beat out either Turner or Payne. It's nice to see Jeremy Kerley right behind Mason though, I'm expecting Kerley to earn plenty of opportunities coming out of the slot this up coming season, it's also nice to see a rookie leading the way as our special teams return man. When was the last time we had a rookie WR surrounded with this much hype? The coaching staff and especially Mike Westhoff must see plenty of promise in this kid. Not even Leon or Brad Smith could start as return men during their respected rookie seasons. We look to be set on the offensive line in terms of tackles and guards. It's obvious we can't afford to lose either Ferguson or Mangold due to injury, but if Hunter goes down, we have Vlad currently developing in the wings. Same goes for Moore, maybe we have something in Turner.

DEFENSE

DE Muhammad Wilkerson, Ropati Pitoitua, Jarron Gilbert

NT Sione Pouha, Kenrick Ellis, Martin Tevaseu

DT Mike DeVito, Marcus Dixon, Lorenzo Washington

OLB Bryan Thomas, Jamaal Westerman, Stafford Gatling

WILL Bart Scott, Nick Bellore, Brashton Satele

MIKE David Harris, Josh Mauga, Joey LaRocque

OLB Calvin Pace, Garrett McIntyre, Brandon Long

CB Darrelle Revis, Kyle Wilson, Donald Strickland

CB Antonio Cromartie, Marquice Cole, Julian Posey

S Eric Smith, Brodney Pool, Emanuel Cook

S Jim Leonhard, Dwight Lowery, Byron Landor

This is pretty much what I expected to see on the defensive side of the ball (other than Smith starting over a healthy Pool). I'm assuming that we'll see more of Smith and Leonhard on 1st and 2nd down run situations with both Pool and Lowery as our two safeties during 3rd down passing situations. Lowery could become a player who breaks out as a semi ball hawk for our secondary. He seems to fit the mold of a S a little more than a CB. Now our defensive front was pretty much predictable with Wilkerson (who's obviously been named a starter by Rex), Pouha and DeVito as our starting 3-4 lineman, with Ellis developing under Pouha as our 3-4 NT of the future. It's time for Kenrick to develope over the next year or two. It's nice to see Ropati Pitoitua on the verge of earning some burn time as our backup DE, I've read some good things about this kid over the past two years, but I'm wondering if Jarron Gilbert can ever come on strong for us? He does have freakish athletic ability. Now, Westerman has had some hype surrounding his pass rushing ability over the past two years, especially when Gholston was busting, but Josh Mauga is the player who I'm hopeful can come out of nowhere and turn some heads as our 3rd IMLB behind both Harris and Scott. Our MLB's need some rest during the course of a game, it'll be a breath of fresh air having a productive backup IMLB that can spell time for our defense. Mauga actually had two solid games as a rookie last year against the Bills and Bengals, putting up 4 tackles a piece and even put up 3 tackles during the playoffs against NE and Pittsburgh. I'm pulling for this kid, he reminds me of a scrappy roughneck. At 6'1/246 lbs... He's definitely built as a 3-4 MLB, but he seems to play with the speed of a safety. Maybe I'm seeing things.

last year the Jets carried only 7 offensive linemen this year it looks like it will be the same with one exception Matt Kroul will be able to play both OL and DL

pretty sure hunter, turner and ducasse were on the roster last year

pretty sure hunter, turner and ducasse were on the roster last year

after Damien Woody went down this was the 2010 OL depth chart:

62 Vladimir Ducasse G

60 D'Brickashaw Ferguson T

78 Wayne Hunter T

74 Nick Mangold C

65 Brandon Moore G

68 Matt Slauson G

75 Robert Turner C/G

Final roster

2010 New York Jets roster