Ducasse Appears on the Cusp of Doing Big Things

flgreen

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I know Moore pulled off the DL-to-OL conversion VERY successfully, but the guy also did it over the course of multiple years, with time on the practice squad and in NFL Europe before ever making the team as a backup OL. I'm not sure what the Jets reasonably expect to get out of Kroul with 2 weeks worth of work on the OL. That's not even a knock against Kroul, it's just about keeping expectations reasonable.

I think that Rex is looking to see if he has any talent for Oline so that he knows if the guy could eventually be used as an emergency backup at 5-6 positions: C-RG-LG-DE-DT. Center will probably be the biggest technical challenge which I guess is why they want to try him there.

I think that Rex is looking to see if he has any talent for Oline so that he knows if the guy could eventually be used as an emergency backup at 5-6 positions: C-RG-LG-DE-DT. Center will probably be the biggest technical challenge which I guess is why they want to try him there.

Fair point. Not to mention I think Felix is the only healthy C left on the roster, so they're also just trying to see if they have enough players to even put together 2nd and 3rd team lines at this point.

JIF to be honest its hard to relax when QB;s are getting hit by mack trucks, because this guy didnt even get a hand on them. Sanchez our franchise QB got hammered 2 times. Just like last year when Rex said get that guy out of there hes gonna get someone killed, I could Imagine what he was saying this year. if it were one preseason game I would 100 % agree with you but the kid played terrible last year and I was expecting to see at least a little improvement. I dont think this is from the lockout he lost straight up battles in a really bad way. Next week when Sanchez plays close to a half do you want this kid anywhere near the field ?

Not at all.

My point was, he shouldnt have too see the field when Sanchez is playing if the Jets do the right thing and go sign someone who can pass protect.

Their little project, isnt close to being ready to play. Sucks, you'd wish differently but its times to get some insurance. I believe they will and in the meantime, try to make Vlad useful.

Not at all.

My point was, he shouldnt have too see the field when Sanchez is playing if the Jets do the right thing and go sign someone who can pass protect.

Their little project, isnt close to being ready to play. Sucks, you'd wish differently but its times to get some insurance. I believe they will and in the meantime, try to make Vlad useful.

Lets hope this is the case :)

people aren't talking about it but Vlad is absolute beast in the run game. yes his pass blocking sucks but his run blocking is awesome.

I saw him fall a few times in the run game maybe he fell on someone and covered them up ? Sorry didnt see his awesomeness in the run game.

For what ever it's worth Woody was at Jets practice today. No, he wasn't in uniform

rodboone (Beat Writer / Columnist) We interrupt our Plax coverage albeit briefly. Hard to see but that dude in the white T next to Rex is @damienwoody twitpic.com

But this has been going on now for tweo summers bro-at this point I don't even want to see him in front of Drew Willy

What has been going on for 2 summers? He's only had 2 summers in the league and 1 was extremely short. Did you forget Slauson? The dude struggled last summer and the summer before but he ended up just fine.

people aren't talking about it but Vlad is absolute beast in the run game. yes his pass blocking sucks but his run blocking is awesome.

Dookie a$$ is awsome at nothing. He probably couldnt even sh*t his pants correctly as a baby. Vlad's balance and footwork are horrid I tell you, horrid. :face:

What has been going on for 2 summers? He's only had 2 summers in the league and 1 was extremely short. Did you forget Slauson? The dude struggled last summer and the summer before but he ended up just fine.

Oh yeah Slauson, thats right...Isnt he the 6th rounder that beat out Vlad? :)

Dookie a$$ is awsome at nothing. He probably couldnt even sh*t his pants correctly as a baby. Vlad's balance and footwork are horrid I tell you, horrid. :face:

this is from thejetsblog

Let’s discuss Vladimir Ducasse. I saw it, you saw it, even Mike Tirico saw it. He was beaten like a drum. Clearly, there were at least five plays where he hung the ball carrier out to dry. However, I was hoping that when I reviewed the film his performance on the other snaps would not look too bad and that’s essentially the case.

Now, letting your quarterback get nailed five times is inexcusable, so even if he was flawless and dominant on those other snaps (he played all the way up to 4:30 remaining in the third, so he probably totalled something like 50 snaps) that still isn’t good enough. At least it would give us some reason for hope though.

If I was grading this game, Ducasse would have a decent positive grade for run blocking. His pass protection was very poor, but may not have been as bad as several of his teammates. I do agree with Bassett that having him forced to play three different positions is the last thing he needs, but when three of your top four interior linemen are unavaiable, what can you do…especially when none of the other possible options proved any safer than Vlad in terms of keeping the quarterback clean.

Let’s first analyze Ducasse at right guard, where he played with the first unit. His major negative here was when JJ Watt beat him for a sack on the play which led to Robert Turner’s injury. As was the case quite often, Ducasse made the initial block, but didn’t sustain it and Watt beat him to the outside. The fact that Turner (who had made a decent start with a couple of good run blocks) was driven back into the backfield didn’t help matters. Had Nick Mangold been in the game, he might have held his ground better there and Sanchez could have stepped up and got rid of the ball. Sanchez tried to step up, but had nowhere to go. Other than that, Ducasse didn’t really have any obvious negatives in his stint with the starters. He turned his man away to create a seam on one run and had a good block to help spring Greene’s long run, but his best highlight was on Greene’s run that was negated by a hold. He absolutely flattened a guy with a huge pancake block at the line of scrimmage. (D’Brickashaw Ferguson also pancaked a guy in the flat on the same play).

Ducasse moved to his supposed natural position of right tackle when the second unit entered. Again, he had a couple of good run blocks – once driving his guy downfield to the second level and on another again turning his guy to create a hole – but struggled with pass protection. He surrendered a sack to a speed rush on the outside as he was very slow getting up out of his stance (I understand McElroy took the heat for this one, saying he didn’t communicate the line shift well enough). Other than that, he held up pretty well until the last two plays of the half. On the first, he failed to sustain his block and his man beat him inside for a QB hit. On the next play, he obviously blocked the wrong guy as a pass rusher came off the edge unblocked. Whether it was complacency, laziness or tiredness, you can’t let that happen.

In the second half, Ducasse moved to left guard. He gave up a hit when he let a guy go right by him, although this may have been by design because it was a successful screen pass. There was also one play where the runner ran into the back of him – probably the only time I’d have marked him down for run blocking all day.

This reminded me of exactly how Ducasse looked in the 2010 preseason. Most of his worst mistakes are brought about by confusion because he doesn’t know who he’s supposed to be blocking. His major technical weakness is sustaining blocks, but every now and again he flashes dominance in the running game. I am not giving up on him yet, but Bill Callahan is going to be a busy man.

there are all these dumbass comments about how vlad is worthless and should be released right now etc. let's be fair if you want to talk about Vlad let's talk about him. He's a beast run blocker, he's a sh*t pass blocker.

this is from thejetsblog

there are all these dumbass comments about how vlad is worthless and should be released right now etc. let's be fair if you want to talk about Vlad let's talk about him. He's a beast run blocker, he's a sh*t pass blocker.

He's a sh*t blocker period. I bet Adrien Clarke had a few pancake blocks in 07 too. Didnt help the fact that his defender hit our QB every 3rd snap.

Archived