Black Monday's Non-Jets Firings Around the NFL

Bleedin Green

Given what day it is, there will surely be lots of news coming out throughout the day regarding all sorts of firings, so I figured might as well make one thread to put all of the info in. Here's what I've seen so far, everyone feel free to add any I've missed:

-Eagles fired Andy Reid

-Browns have fired Pat Shurmur and GM Tom Heckert

-Chiefs have fired Romeo Crennel

-Bills have fired Chan Gailey

-Bears fired Lovie Smith

The Chargers are also reportedly going to fire both Norv Turner and AJ Smith, but no announcements have been made yet.

Man, I'm no Philly fan but I was really pulling for Reid this year to have some success so this wouldn't happen. Nobody deserves to have a year like he's had.

I like Reid, but I think you can just stay too long at one place. 14 years in the NFL is quite a while and I think he took them as far as they were going to go. Add in his personal issues with his family, he might just need a clean break and a fresh start somewhere.

Woody should try this, to be honest.

It would definitely maximize Rex's strengths and minimize his weaknesses. I have been advocating an autonomous Assistant HC to run the offense and potentially step in if and when Rex gets the axe. This is all incumbent on having a strong football GM who really runs the team.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Cardinals fired HC Ken Whisenhunt. Up to 7 HCs today.

Expand Collapse

Bob Glauber@BobGlauber

Great offensive coordinator possibility. Listening, Rex? RT @AdamSchefterCardinals fired HC Ken Whisenhunt. Up to 7 HCs today.

That would definitely be a nice option. After all, he did bring the Cardinals to the Super Bowl during the small window when he actually had a QB worth a damn to work with. Of course that's not to say the Jets have one of those, but that's a whole different story.

With all the HC firings as of today I think it was a smart move by Johnson not to fire Rex. They still have a quality coach and thus avoids the mad scramble to get another HC particularly with all the firings that went on today. If in the end the new GM wants a guy that is still out there after the dust has settled then Johnson can hide behind the GMs decision to do that and fire Ryan.

It would definitely maximize Rex's strengths and minimize his weaknesses. I have been advocating an autonomous Assistant HC to run the offense and potentially step in if and when Rex gets the axe. This is all incumbent on having a strong football GM who really runs the team.

I definitely agree. Parcells was most successful when he basically lef tthe Giants, Patriots an Jets D in the hands of Bill Belidick and named Belidick the "assistant head coach." I wouldn't mind seeing the reverse situation here in which Rex controls the D and special teams, and an OC basically takes over the offense.

Also, I am wondering what actually happened. Rex has as much to do with the team's erosion of talent. Yes, Tannenbaum did have the final say on trades and contract signings, but obviously Rex insisted on several players be signed that he thought at the time were key. Sanchez is the first and foremost, and Bart Scott, and Santonio Holmes, Calvin Pace, etc. Also, I thought the HC picked the coordinators. Doesn't that mean that Rex chose the incompetent Sparano to lead the offense?

With all the HC firings as of today I think it was a smart move by Johnson not to fire Rex. They still have a quality coach and thus avoids the mad scramble to get another HC particularly with all the firings that went on today. If in the end the new GM wants a guy that is still out there after the dust has settled then Johnson can hide behind the GMs decision to do that and fire Ryan.

Yeah, I just don't see it that way.

We would have been an attractive HC job IMO.

And I don't see Rex as a quality HC, I see him as an excellent DC, but a poor HC.

He is a good enough DC to avoid Kotite bad seasons, but he is not a good HC.

There is also no saying there wont be as many firings next year as there are this year, it seems to be the norm in the NFL to have a ton of firings every year.

Other items of note that I don't think were covered here yet:

Cardinals also fired GM Rod Graves

Cowboys have decided to retain Jason Garrett but plan to strip him of his offensive play-calling and bring in a new OC to take over. That doesn't sound like a good sign for our old buddy Bill Callahan, who is currently the Cowboys OC.

Panthers might still also fire Ron Rivera in the coming days, as apparently no decision has yet been made there either way.

Archived