Calvin Pace, Bart Scott to be cut

Jetsfan80

http://www.cbssports...and-jason-smith

Report: Jets to cut Bart Scott, Calvin Pace and Jason Smith

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

February 7, 2013 5:55 pm ET

tumblr_mhvhedkHem1ri6qaso1_500.png

Bart Scott is expected to be among some prominent Jets to be cut. (US Presswire)

New York Jets general manager John Idzik has been on the job for less than a month and in that short span, he's probably spent most of his time trying to figure out how to get the Jets under the salary cap. The Jets are reportedly $23 million over the projected 2013 cap.

Idzik's plan to get under the cap seems to be underway as the team plans to cut Bart Scott, Calvin Pace and Jason Smith in the next few days or weeks, according to the New York Daily News. The move would clear $27.7 million in cap space and put the Jets on the right side of the salary cap.

The moves, once made, shouldn't come as a shock. Scott and Pace -- both 32 years old -- would count for almost $18 million combined against the 2013 cap if the Jets were to keep them. With Smith, the Jets really have no choice but to release him. The backup offensive tackle is scheduled to count for $12 million against the 2013 cap, which is a lot of money for a backup anything.

Scott, who is due to make $6.9 million in base salary in 2013, sounded like he was expecting to get cut when he was asked about it during an interview on Wednesday night. "It's part of the business," Scott told Newsday. "If you've been in the business long enough, I mean, come on. Jerry Rice and Joe Montana got cut. If they can get cut, with what they meant to their organization, who can't?"

Following the Giants cuts of Ahmad Bradshaw, Michael Boley and Chris Canty earlier this week, the Jets and Giants have proven that nobody's job in New York is safe this offseason.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, subscribe to ourRSS Feed, watch Pro Football 360 daily at 3 p.m. ET and NFL newsletter. You can also follow John Breech @JohnBreech.

The postmortem on Scott will be harsh, but he gave the Jets exactly what they paid for--a tough, swagger-laden leader who was in the ebb of his career. The 09 defensive success had a lot to do with Bart being Bart. Granted, I was not a fan of signing him to a big-money deal (you can't go out in the draft and find your own Bart Scotts and Jim Leonhards?), but it's not Scott's fault that the organization was inept.

The postmortem on Scott will be harsh, but he gave the Jets exactly what they paid for--a tough, swagger-laden leader who was in the ebb of his career. The 09 defensive success had a lot to do with Bart being Bart. Granted, I was not a fan of signing him to a big-money deal (you can't go out in the draft and find your own Bart Scotts and Jim Leonhards?), but it's not Scott's fault that the organization was inept.

Lol...Oh Th0mas Shane..."I thought Scott was exactly what we needed and the early results were great with minimal impact on the long term, but boy were they stupid to pay him."

Like any and every NFL player ever, he does not see the full value of the contract he signed. I'm irate about the number that was published at the time anyway! The contract is actually stupid in a league that does not use the term contract as loosely as the NFL does. Instead he's gone after year 4 of what was a 6 year deal.

Lol...Oh Th0mas Shane..."I thought Scott was exactly what we needed and the early results were great with minimal impact on the long term, but boy were they stupid to pay him."

Like any and every NFL player ever, he does not see the full value of the contract he signed. I'm irate about the number that was published at the time anyway! The contract is actually stupid in a league that does not use the term contract as loosely as the NFL does. Instead he's gone after year 4 of what was a 6 year deal.

Great. He was worth a sh*t for two of those four years. Bad contract.

I can't imagine how much THC it would take to get from what I wrote to this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived