Marty Mornhinweg: "This will be a bona fide QB competition, period"

flgreen

May 15, 2013 1:35 PM

Marty Mornhinweg: "This will be a bona fide quarterback competition, period"

BY Seth Walder

Marty Mornhinweg is making it clear: the Jets will have a true battle for the starting quarterback spot.

“This will be a bona fide quarterback competition. Period,” the offensive coordinator said on a conference call with season ticket holders on Wednesday. “I am hoping that somebody will rise to the top quicker rather than later.”

The Jets have faced questions about how they will split up the reps between all the QBs. The de facto competition will be between Mark Sanchez, David Garrard and Geno Smith. Greg McElroy and Matt Simms are also on the roster.

“I’ve spent quite a little bit of time just figuring out the exact reps for each player and that will be dictated on how they’ve done in the prior practice or practices as well,” Mornhinweg said.

"But I will tell you that the competition makes everybody so much better, and you talked about focus. It makes everybody focus in so much better so they’re playign at the top of their game, so you can get great evaluations that way," the coordinator added.

It's Geno's job to lose now, IMHO.

well i think you are wrong , Geno is not ready for the NFL it going to be Sanchez , the guy gets a another chance without Tbow , lets see what he is made of , he knows it his last chance to be a starter , the Jets are going to be terrible anyway

well i think you are wrong , Geno is not ready for the NFL it going to be Sanchez , the guy gets a another chance without Tbow , lets see what he is made of , he knows it his last chance to be a starter , the Jets are going to be terrible anyway

I think I'm right. Sanchez is made of sugar, spice, and a fragile psyche. The Jets know this. They also know the fans want nothing to do with him.

Not really. It's Mark's. He's the vet, he's got the contract, he's the starter. It's his to lose if Geno goes Russell Wilson and seizes it. Most scouting reports don't show that happening.

Wilson seized the job from a guy the Seahawks brought in to be the starter. All Geno has to do is seize it from a guy they're desperately trying to replace. Not exactly the same uphill struggle.

“I’ve spent quite a little bit of time just figuring out the exact reps for each player and that will be dictated on how they’ve done in the prior practice or practices as well,” Mornhinweg said.

That idiot Ryan mentioned this being on the schedule a week or two ago. This is something that will be cool to watch in action. Since he says he would rather the winner pop up sooner rather than later my guess is that there are two plans just in case that dream scenario doesn't pop up. It would really suck if one of the QBs doesn't take the job early. Since this is supposedly a year that doesn't count - and I understand that makes sense in alot of ways - I don't really care which one of Sanchez or Smith wins. Smith is BY MILES AND MILES AND MILES AND MILES AND MILES AND MILES AND MILES AND MILES the best competition for the starting job that Sanchez has ever had in the NFL. It would be a great boon for the franchise if that did something positive for Dipsh*t. 2 QBs > 1. 

Oh and to reiterate on Garrard - I'm glad he's gone. I didn't feel like fighting it but "he could have started for the Dolphins last year until he had back surgery (at 35" was never much of a sell. 

Bring in Tebow.

It will quickly become a boner-fide competition.... WOKKA MOFUGGIN WOKKA BITCHES!!!!

That idiot Ryan mentioned this being on the schedule a week or two ago. This is something that will be cool to watch in action. Since he says he would rather the winner pop up sooner rather than later my guess is that there are two plans just in case that dream scenario doesn't pop up. It would really suck if one of the QBs doesn't take the job early. Since this is supposedly a year that doesn't count - and I understand that makes sense in alot of ways - I don't really care which one of Sanchez or Smith wins. Smith is BY MILES AND MILES AND MILES AND MILES AND MILES AND MILES AND MILES AND MILES the best competition for the starting job that Sanchez has ever had in the NFL. It would be a great boon for the franchise if that did something positive for Dipsh*t. 2 QBs > 1. 

Oh and to reiterate on Garrard - I'm glad he's gone. I didn't feel like fighting it but "he could have started for the Dolphins last year until he had back surgery (at 35" was never much of a sell. 

I hate you both.

This makes it more Idziks call than Rex's IMHO. If Idzik thinks 2013 Jets are NOT a legit playoff team with Mark or Geno then he may view it different than Rex.

Rex will do whatever he can to eeek out any W, while Idzik may see this as chance to bite bullet for 2013, maybe less Ws but a better 2014 and beyond if Geno gets his sea legs in 2013.. We will see I guess

in the josh cribbs thread I took alot of heat for saying the Jets weren't getting better. And that certain positions weren't even as good as last year.  (Cribbs signed with Oakland by the way, but don't worry we still have Clyde Gates)

This is what happens, Larry. This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps. 

anyone care to wager on the next dollar store signing will be to go down? My guess is Colon. He finished the last 3 seasons on IR. 

It's Geno's job to lose now, IMHO.

this would be true if they took him at 9. At 39 they can be patient.  

btw besides the fact that he's not Mark how do we know he's better than Mark? every team in the league passed on him and some teams like the Browns and Eagles passed on him twice. The Jets actually passed on him twice too. Why is Geno an instant starter? Because he's not Mark? 

It's funny how Mark always seems to end up on top of these competitions. He might be a terrible QB but he never gets hurt and he has an angel in his pocket (or something). The guy is just lucky. 

btw besides the fact that he's not Mark how do we know he's better than Mark? every team in the league passed on him and some teams like the Browns and Eagles passed on him twice. The Jets actually passed on him twice too. Why is Geno an instant starter? Because he's not Mark?

It's funny how Mark always seems to end up on top of these competitions. He might be a terrible QB but he never gets hurt and he has an angel in his pocket (or something). The guy is just lucky. 

Unless Geno is completely incapable, that's a good enough reason for me. If your main goal is to try and lock up the #1 pick next year, than by all means, start Sanchez. I can't watch another season with him at QB. It would be like sitting down and watching "Remember Me" in its entirety. Mind numbing torture.

The minute the Jets took Geno, it was all over for Mark. He may somehow look good in camp and get tabbed the starter but at some point he will be benched for good. The team is not that good and the first sign of trouble the fans will turn rabid. At that point Mark will turn into a turtle because he has an eggshell ego.

Good point

Add on top of that the fact that the Vets had been in for work outs at the time of the draft, and I'm sure the Jets training staff, and front office were aware that Garrard was having problems with his knee, and still passed on him twice.  They also didn't move up in the 2nd to insure they would get him with teams needing QB's in front of them.

They had to take him at 39.  Just to much value to pass up for a QB needy team.

If Geno earns the job, I'm good with it.  If they hand it to him, they are making the same mistake they did with Sanchez, who wasn't Chad,  We will be back here again in a few years

Archived