Kevin Mawae Advances as HOF Semifinalist

flgreen

Kevin Mawae Advances as HOF Semifinalist

Posted 43 minutes ago

Editor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com

@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar

Former Jets C Among 26 Modern-Era Candidates Vying for Selection to Hall's Class of 2015

Kevin Mawae was always in the center of things during his eight seasons with the New York Jets. And Mawae will continue to be front and center for a while longer in the Pro Football Hall of Fame's selection process that will produce the Class of 2015 the day before Super Bowl XLIX in Phoenix.

Mawae is one of eight first-year candidates in the Hall's list of 25 Modern-Era semifinalists announced Tuesday night. He was known for his work at center for the Seahawks in the first four NFL seasons and for the Titans in his last four.

But he built his Hall-worthy career on his eight seasons with the Jets. He arrived for the 1998 season and started 118 consecutive regular-season games and seven postseason games until his departure following the 2005 season.

In that span he was selected to the AFC Pro Bowl squad six consecutive seasons from 1999-2004 and was named All-Pro after the '99 and '01 seasons.

Twenty-six Modern-Era players were named semifinalists Tuesday, including two other players who had stops with the Jets, although much shorter than Mawae's stay — Ty Law, who started the entire 2005 season at left cornerback and the last six games in 2008 at RCB for us, and Steve Atwater, who played his 11th and last pro season as our starting free safety in 1999.

Here is the complete list of the 26 Modern-Era semifinalists:

K Morten Andersen S Steve Atwater RB Jerome Bettis

WR/KR Tim Brown WR Isaac Bruce Coach Don Coryell

RB Roger Craig RB Terrell Davis Coach Tony Dungy

LB/DE Kevin Greene DE/LB Charles Haley WR Marvin Harrison

WR Torry Holt T Joe Jacoby RB Edgerrin James

Coach Jimmy Johnson T Mike Kenn CB Ty Law

S John Lynch C/G Kevin Mawae LB Karl Mecklenburg

T Orlando Pace LB Junior Seau G Will Shields

QB Kurt Warner S Darren Woodson

Next stop for the semifinalists: The list will be reduced by mail ballot to the Hall of Fame's selectors to 15 Modern-Era finalists by Jan. 8, whose names will be revealed during a one-hour special on NFL Network.

Those 15 will be joined by Bill Polian and Ron Wolf, the two candidates from the Hall of Fame's Contributors Committee, and by Mick Tingelhoff, the former Vikings center who is the lone finalist selected by the Hall's Seniors Committee.

The Class of '15 will be determined at the Selection Committee's annual meeting on Saturday, Jan. 31, in Phoenix the day before the Super Bowl. The class will be announced during a two-hour primetime awards special that will air on NBC that evening.

The Class of '15 will be introduced at the Super Bowl the next evening and will be officially enshrined on Saturday, Aug. 8, in Canton, Ohio, as the main event in the Pro Football Hall of Fame's annual Enshrinement Festival Celebration.

For the second straight year, fans can visit nfl.com/hofvote and vote for their favorite Pro Football Hall of Fame nominee, presented by Ford, The Official Automobile of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

No Klecko. 

The Pro Football Hall of Fame remains an illegitimate enterprise.

Klecko will never be in the HOF. Heres why.

Ex-football Star Jailed For Perjury Joe Klecko Lied To The Grand Jury. He And 66 Others Were Indicted In An Insurance Scam.

By Emilie Lounsberry, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

POSTED: April 09, 1993

Former Temple and New York Jets football player Joe Klecko yesterday was sentenced to three months in prison for lying to a federal grand jury that was investigating insurance fraud.

U.S. District Judge Harvey Bartle 3d also ordered Klecko, 39, of Malvern, to remain under home detention for an additional three months after his release from prison, to pay a $3,000 fine and to perform 150 hours of community service during two years of supervised release.

"We make a mighty effort in this country to give all people justice. That goal cannot be realized if people are going to lie under oath," said Bartle before announcing the sentence. "It just shatters the whole foundation of our system."

Moments earlier, Klecko apologized for his actions.

"I am sorry not only for myself but I am more deeply sorry for the pain and the embarrassment that it has caused everyone in my family," Klecko told the judge.

Klecko was among 67 people indicted in October as a result of a federal investigation that documented the submission of hundreds of phony insurance claims totaling more than $5 million for paint damage to cars and trucks.

The defendants included eight current and former appraisers and supervisors working out of the Travelers Insurance Co. office in Voorhees, 32 owners and employees of auto body shops in the Philadelphia area and 27 others who participated in fraudulent claims.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael J. Holston said that 64 people, including Klecko, have been convicted or have pleaded guilty.

One defendant was acquitted and the cases of two others were dismissed.

Also yesterday, Holston said, Richard Lister, 46, of Aston, Delaware County, owner of one of the auto body shops, was sentenced to 30 months for racketeering and obstruction of justice. Holston said three others were sentenced to prison terms ranging from three to 10 months for committing perjury before the grand jury.

THE DAMAGE CLAIMS

The fraudulent insurance claims stemmed from damage to the surface of vehicles allegedly caused by the Marcus Hook refinery, which is operated by Sun Oil Co.

The refinery emitted chemical particles and debris from its smokestacks between 1988 and 1990, and Sun Oil received complaints about damage to cars and trucks caused by the debris.

According to the federal indictment, Klecko lied about an insurance claim submitted in 1988 for his truck, falsely testifying that his truck had been damaged and falsely saying that the truck had been repainted.

In fact, the indictment stated, the truck was not damaged and had never been repainted.

TESTIFIED WITHOUT LAWYER

Klecko's attorney, John Wing, said Klecko had lied to protect a friend. He said Klecko would have been better served if he had been represented by an attorney when he appeared before the grand jury.

"A lot of people say a lot of bad things about lawyers these days, but the guidance a lawyer would have given in the situation would have kept us out of court - there would have been no crime," Wing said.

But Holston and Assistant U.S. Attorney Lee J. Dobkin wrote in a memorandum to Bartle that Klecko had been warned "at great length" not to lie before he

went before the grand jury and was warned again not to lie in the presence of the grand jury.

"Yet, the defendant chose to disregard these warnings and tell an involved, rehearsed story in efforts to protect his friends," they wrote.

Still cracks me up that Mangini's first mark on this team was cutting him. He went on to play a number of good seasons in Tennesse and was the anchor of the OL that helped CJ to get over 2000 yards. 

I like Mangold and whatnot, but at the time we had so many need positions, there just wasn't any logic in cutting a probowl center only to create the immediate need to go draft one. Abraham, though spineless, wasn't too shabby a player either... oh, but he "didn't fit" LOLOLOLOL Jets fans were suckers that year, biting hard on the he "perpetual rebuild until we find players that fit Mangini's scheme". At least with Rex, he's done a somewhat decent job scheming to fit the guys here. Mangini was completely incapable of that.

Too young to see Klecko play, but I've heard good things. Numbers aren't that impressive. Was he really HOF worthy?

he kept switching positions and kept excelling. i wonder what he career would've been if he got to play one position

mawae is a slam dunk btw

Still cracks me up that Mangini's first mark on this team was cutting him. He went on to play a number of good seasons in Tennesse and was the anchor of the OL that helped CJ to get over 2000 yards.

I like Mangold and whatnot, but at the time we had so many need positions, there just wasn't any logic in cutting a probowl center only to create the immediate need to go draft one. Abraham, though spineless, wasn't too shabby a player either... oh, but he "didn't fit" LOLOLOLOL Jets fans were suckers that year, biting hard on the he "perpetual rebuild until we find players that fit Mangini's scheme". At least with Rex, he's done a somewhat decent job scheming to fit the guys here. Mangini was completely incapable of that.

That's actually an old Parcells thing that Parcells took from Landry: get into a locker room and kill the bull goose looney to establish your own leadership.

I wish Mangold had that mean streak in him that Mawae did. He was a badass mother ****er.

Klecko will never be in the HOF. Heres why.

Ex-football Star Jailed For Perjury Joe Klecko Lied To The Grand Jury. He And 66 Others Were Indicted In An Insurance Scam.

By Emilie Lounsberry, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

POSTED: April 09, 1993

Former Temple and New York Jets football player Joe Klecko yesterday was sentenced to three months in prison for lying to a federal grand jury that was investigating insurance fraud.

U.S. District Judge Harvey Bartle 3d also ordered Klecko, 39, of Malvern, to remain under home detention for an additional three months after his release from prison, to pay a $3,000 fine and to perform 150 hours of community service during two years of supervised release.

"We make a mighty effort in this country to give all people justice. That goal cannot be realized if people are going to lie under oath," said Bartle before announcing the sentence. "It just shatters the whole foundation of our system."

Moments earlier, Klecko apologized for his actions.

"I am sorry not only for myself but I am more deeply sorry for the pain and the embarrassment that it has caused everyone in my family," Klecko told the judge.

Klecko was among 67 people indicted in October as a result of a federal investigation that documented the submission of hundreds of phony insurance claims totaling more than $5 million for paint damage to cars and trucks.

The defendants included eight current and former appraisers and supervisors working out of the Travelers Insurance Co. office in Voorhees, 32 owners and employees of auto body shops in the Philadelphia area and 27 others who participated in fraudulent claims.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael J. Holston said that 64 people, including Klecko, have been convicted or have pleaded guilty.

One defendant was acquitted and the cases of two others were dismissed.

Also yesterday, Holston said, Richard Lister, 46, of Aston, Delaware County, owner of one of the auto body shops, was sentenced to 30 months for racketeering and obstruction of justice. Holston said three others were sentenced to prison terms ranging from three to 10 months for committing perjury before the grand jury.

THE DAMAGE CLAIMS

The fraudulent insurance claims stemmed from damage to the surface of vehicles allegedly caused by the Marcus Hook refinery, which is operated by Sun Oil Co.

The refinery emitted chemical particles and debris from its smokestacks between 1988 and 1990, and Sun Oil received complaints about damage to cars and trucks caused by the debris.

According to the federal indictment, Klecko lied about an insurance claim submitted in 1988 for his truck, falsely testifying that his truck had been damaged and falsely saying that the truck had been repainted.

In fact, the indictment stated, the truck was not damaged and had never been repainted.

TESTIFIED WITHOUT LAWYER

Klecko's attorney, John Wing, said Klecko had lied to protect a friend. He said Klecko would have been better served if he had been represented by an attorney when he appeared before the grand jury.

"A lot of people say a lot of bad things about lawyers these days, but the guidance a lawyer would have given in the situation would have kept us out of court - there would have been no crime," Wing said.

But Holston and Assistant U.S. Attorney Lee J. Dobkin wrote in a memorandum to Bartle that Klecko had been warned "at great length" not to lie before he

went before the grand jury and was warned again not to lie in the presence of the grand jury.

"Yet, the defendant chose to disregard these warnings and tell an involved, rehearsed story in efforts to protect his friends," they wrote.

OJ Simpson. GFY

Klecko not in means I ain't going to HOF. I'll never set foot in the town of canton until he gets in.

He's the reason I love football.

He's the reason I love the Jets.

The fact that he's not in the HOF is an injustice.

The fact that he isn't in because of perjury is a a joke. Some of the POS in the HOF couldn't hold a candle to Joe Klecko...on or off the field.

Archived