Defensive Coordinator

Jetsfan80

I know it's just been a few hours since Bowles was hired, but I was a little confused with the DC information.  AZ LB Coach Mike Caldwell was initially reported as the expected DC but no longer (Kacy Rodgers, DL coach, Miami expected to be the guy)....was there any clarity on what happened there?

I know it's just been a few hours since Bowles was hired, but I was a little confused with the DC information. AZ LB Coach Mike Caldwell was initially reported as the expected DC but no longer (Kacy Rodgers, DL coach, Miami expected to be the guy)....was there any clarity on what happened there?

just a guess MIke Caldwell probably being promoted to Dc with the Cardinals.( taking Bowles former job). This way he gets a coordinators job, and doesn't have to move.

I don't know about this. Bring in a D-Line coach to coordinate the defense when we all know Bowles will be running the show on defense? What does Rodgers do then? Focus more on the D-Line? That's Dunbar's job, I don't like the idea of having 2 DL coaches out there. Why not just promote Dunbar, let him continue to do what he does best and Bowles can focus on running the defense 110% without anybody really bothering him. There's no point in bringing in a "legit" DC because he's not gonna call the plays on defense anyway.

I don't know about this. Bring in a D-Line coach to coordinate the defense when we all know Bowles will be running the show on defense? What does Rodgers do then? Focus more on the D-Line? That's Dunbar's job, I don't like the idea of having 2 DL coaches out there. Why not just promote Dunbar, let him continue to do what he does best and Bowles can focus on running the defense 110% without anybody really bothering him. There's no point in bringing in a "legit" DC because he's not gonna call the plays on defense anyway.

Fear not, your complaints are imaginary. I'm confused by needing to promote Dunbar to let him continue doing what he does best.

The Dolphins are one of those teams with a good DL and pass rush without Dunbar.

Fear not, your complaints are imaginary. I'm confused by needing to promote Dunbar to let him continue doing what he does best.

The Dolphins are one of those teams with a good DL and pass rush without Dunbar.

+1

Not to mention we don't "all know that Bowles will be running the show on defense" at all. I'm sure he would like his stamp on it, but he was brought in to be the HC not another coordinator-plus. He's supposed to have his hands in all the cookie jars.

If Dunbar's specialty is coaching DL technique and going over individual DL vs OL matchups with his positional group, that doesn't mean he is necessarily a full-defense schemer and game planner. Sometimes it's good to let guys who excel in one thing do that one thing.

Bowles has to be the vision guy.  He can be the nuts and bolts guy but he would be wiser to hire an apostle who knows his system.  Then he can help with a game plan, make game day suggestions, and so on.  But to stand there calling signals all day would be counter-productive.I am trying to see his reasoning for Gailey, not that I object strenuously to his hire.  I suppose it is because he is older, maybe wiser, and has been a head coach.  Does Todd have an offensive vision?  A head coach should have one.  

dunbar going to bills,,no brainer

Archived