Fitzpatrick fans read this.

joewilly12

you have never seen Qbs get better in year 3 and beyond?  at this point after the incident it probably is time but it was worth a shot to give him one last chance going into this season.

I've seen people win the lottery too. But I'm not spending my whole paycheck on powerball.  "Happened before" is not the same as "Likely within any reasonable degree."

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok sure but at what point does the plug get pulled? Geno isn't getting reps right now. He's healing and will be for another month or two. When he returns he will likely be underweight and not in game shape. And the reps in practice mid season are more about game planning than trying to help the 3rd year QB try to read a defense. 

Geno isn't a rookie. He probably isn't getting much better. It's time to move on. 

Circumstances have pulled the Geno plug.  Otherwise, who knows?  Clearly the coaching staff agreed with my position that either a. he gave them the best chance to win or b. they need to at least see if he could improve for the future state of the team.  

How long of a leash would they have given him?  I have no clue.  Nobody does. They might have had much longer leash than any of us fans would like.  But now, we'll never know. With my position, I just kind of assumed giving him till the bye week would be a good strategy and if he wasnt showing clear signs of improvement, you move to Fitzpatrick.

Now.  it's Fitzpatrick ride or die and if the coaching staff just decides to give Geno the job back when he's healed...well then...we're in for a much longer ride than we ever imagined. 

The Jets w/ a mediocre roster won 8 games w/ geno as a starter.  No team ahs won more than 6 w/ fitz.  I will always take wins over fantasy #s.

Jets had the worst turnover ratio in history for a non-losing team that year.  With Sanchez and that same amount of historic levels of luck, jets would've won 12 games.

The Jets w/ a mediocre roster won 8 games w/ geno as a starter.  No team ahs won more than 6 w/ fitz.  I will always take wins over fantasy #s.

LOL Yup, the only place Geno stinks is fantasy football. Hey, did you hear the one about Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer being better than Dan Marino? It's a funny one. It starts with "There once was a good fantasy football QB named Dan Marino..."

Nothing happens.  We need a new QB or 2 in 2016 regardless.  It's just humorous that people believe threads like these slamming our stopgap QB and/or comparing him to that loser Geno are worthwhile.  We get it.  Our QB options suck right now compared to most teams in the league.  That hasn't changed for a long time.  But its much easier for me to move on from Geno Smith than many, it would seem.

So in your opinion what good does it do the team to have a guy play QB who you know will not win enough games to accomplish anything of worth and is a "stopgap" for this year until we get a real QB?  What good does it do the team to go anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 finish out of the playoffs etc with a guy you want to dump for someone else after the season?  How is that better than seeing if Geno is the garbage we've seen at times or is the guy who after the benching everyone wanted last year came back playing well?

Why wouldnt you want to see if that guy exists?  

Try something more than he sucks or the last 5 games of the season are meaningless.  Without going into a twisted diatribe 

That is the one thing that I cant figure out about Fitz.  Guy has good completion % and TO % but the wins arent there.  He is smart and I havent heard any bad raps against him as a QB as far as reads, pocket awareness, leadership etc. Maybe he doesnt have a cannon for an arm but it isnt like Pennington weak is it? I heard about him threading the needle in TC a couple times already.

I guess we will find out first hand when the live bullets fly in a few weeks. I honestly havent watched enough of his games to make an educated guess as to why his win totals are higher.  I do know that he played his best football under Gailey and has now been reunited with him. 

I am looking forward to seeing what the reality of our situation as Jets fans is, starting in September.

That is the one thing that I cant figure out about Fitz.  Guy has good completion % and TO % but the wins arent there.  He is smart and I havent heard any bad raps against him as a QB as far as reads, pocket awareness, leadership etc. Maybe he doesnt have a cannon for an arm but it isnt like Pennington weak is it? I heard about him threading the needle in TC a couple times already.

I guess we will find out first hand when the live bullets fly in a few weeks. I honestly havent watched enough of his games to make an educated guess as to why his win totals are higher.  I do know that he played his best football under Gailey and has now been reunited with him. 

I am looking forward to seeing what the reality of our situation as Jets fans is, starting in September.

There is nothing to figure out. Every team is different. Maybe he never played with as good a defense as Geno had in 2013.  Maybe they were behind a lot and he had to air it out more. Maybe his teams running games were not very good.  But my point is give me the better numbers and performers every time. I'll take my chances whether that's "good" or "bad" for the team.

It's like saying you shouldn't wear your seatbelt because 1% of all accidents you are better off getting ejected from the burning vehicle. 

So in your opinion what good does it do the team to have a guy play QB who you know will not win enough games to accomplish anything of worth and is a "stopgap" for this year until we get a real QB?  What good does it do the team to go anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 finish out of the playoffs etc with a guy you want to dump for someone else after the season?  How is that better than seeing if Geno is the garbage we've seen at times or is the guy who after the benching everyone wanted last year came back playing well?

Why wouldnt you want to see if that guy exists?  

Try something more than he sucks or the last 5 games of the season are meaningless.  Without going into a twisted diatribe 

I'd rather shoot for the playoffs than a top draft pick.  A 9-7 season where the team shows promise is more fun than 4-12.  Not to mention, as I've said many times before, you need to have a little success before you can have a lot of success.  No team has ever won a Super Bowl coming off a losing season over the course of the last decade.

Furthermore, Geno helped f*ck up his whole situation by being an a$$hole, and every pro-Geno argument is pretty much moot now.  Before that went down people could at least make a case that Geno was the right call.  That's all out the window now.  He's missing almost all of camp and preseason at a crucial time.  Makes no sense now to go back to Geno in Week 6 or whatever.  His attitude and play combined have shown that he's not the guy, never will be the guy, and should just be allowed to be another team's problem after this season ends.  Fitz isn't the guy either but at least he's a professional.

How bad is the bearded one? The Jets are Fitzpatrick’s fourth team in four years. If he stays healthy enough to start the Jets’ season opener Sept. 13 against the Browns, they will be the sixth team for which he starts. He has started 89 games in 10 seasons — he is 33-55-1 — and not one of his teams has ever made the playoffs. The good news is that means he should fit in just fine with the Jets.

He's a warm body who ain't Geno . SOLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, for all you people bringing up Geno looking good in training camp and beating out Fitz, must I remind you of what happened last year with Vick. We went through the same sh*t last year with Geno just replace Fitz with Vick and you have the 2014 Jets. Hell, even the coaching staff is similar with Morhinwheg bringing in one of his past qbs, just this time with Gailey and Fitz. Blows my mind that some of you still believe in Geno he's ******* garbage.

LOL Yup, the only place Geno stinks is fantasy football. Hey, did you hear the one about Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer being better than Dan Marino? It's a funny one. It starts with "There once was a good fantasy football QB named Dan Marino..."

where did I say geno didn't suck?  the point is we were able to win 8 games w/ him w/ a crappy roster.  Fitz has had better rosters and his teams have never won more than 6 in a season w/ him.

There is nothing to figure out. Every team is different. Maybe he never played with as good a defense as Geno had in 2013.  Maybe they were behind a lot and he had to air it out more. Maybe his teams running games were not very good.  But my point is give me the better numbers and performers every time. I'll take my chances whether that's "good" or "bad" for the team.

It's like saying you shouldn't wear your seatbelt because 1% of all accidents you are better off getting ejected from the burning vehicle. 

Your making excuses for Fitzs 's wins  based on the fact that the teams around him (defense, running game etc,.) were not very good. But you use his favorable stats over Geno's w/o looking at Geno's woeful offense over the past 2 seasons.

I'm rooting for Fitz wile he's playing but would much rather have Geno take the next step as it is better for the immediate future .

He's a great garbage time QB to elevate his #s and fool fans.

I'd rather shoot for the playoffs than a top draft pick.  A 9-7 season where the team shows promise is more fun than 4-12.  Not to mention, as I've said many times before, you need to have a little success before you can have a lot of success.  No team has ever won a Super Bowl coming off a losing season over the course of the last decade.

Furthermore, Geno helped f*ck up his whole situation by being an a$$hole, and every pro-Geno argument is pretty much moot now.  Before that went down people could at least make a case that Geno was the right call.  That's all out the window now.  He's missing almost all of camp and preseason at a crucial time.  Makes no sense now to go back to Geno in Week 6 or whatever.  His attitude and play combined have shown that he's not the guy, never will be the guy, and should just be allowed to be another team's problem after this season ends.  Fitz isn't the guy either but at least he's a professional.

you do realize that unless the jets are 3-1 or 4-0 and playing well on offense there isn't a chance that they don't go back to Geno.

And with the reports that Fitz has no arm, can't throw long and has no zip in practice there's little chance he's going to light it up.

Also, for all you people bringing up Geno looking good in training camp and beating out Fitz, must I remind you of what happened last year with Vick. We went through the same sh*t last year with Geno just replace Fitz with Vick and you have the 2014 Jets. Hell, even the coaching staff is similar with Morhinwheg bringing in one of his past qbs, just this time with Gailey and Fitz. Blows my mind that some of you still believe in Geno he's ******* garbage.

So your answer, your plan is start the QB who loses the QB competition?

What kind of backwards logic is this?

You also realize its not 100 % likely Geno is ready to go Week 6 either, right?  Even if he's perfectly healthy by Week 4/5, QB's don't typically just jump in after missing nearly all of camp and preseason.  Even with the bye week, 2 weeks is not a ton of time.

You also realize its not 100 % likely Geno is ready to go Week 6 either, right?  Even if he's perfectly healthy by Week 4/5, QB's don't typically just jump in after missing nearly all of camp and preseason.  Even with the bye week, 2 weeks is not a ton of time.

So then that's when he comes back. No sh1t guys don't always come back on schedule. But there's a bye week too.

Bowles lips. You find the presser.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2015/08/11/geno-smith-out-6-8-weeks-after-being-punched-teammate-locker-room/31467479/

But even when Smith does return, his job may not necessarily be secure. Bowles said he would “revisit” Smith’s role with the team once he’s healthy enough to participate. But if Fitzpatrick performs well in Smith’s absence, he could stay on for the long term.

“If the other guys is playing well and the boat is going right and we’re winning games and the team is 4-, 5-, 6-, or 7-0, yeah, you’re not going to come back to start,” Bowles said. “You can lose your job because of injury. You can lose your job because of a lot of things, but that’s something we’ll talk about once we get to that point.”

A little bit of a different situation here. Geno is not rehabbing from a arm/leg/rib injury. Its very likely he'll be able to workout fully and participate in all classroom activity. If the Jets need him week 4 or 5 , no reason he can't step right in.

Ugh duh, if they're 4-0, 5-0, 6-0 or 7-0 Fitz stays at QB. As I said if they're winning and he's playing well...

So you read into that by saying if we're not playing perfect ball, we'll go back to Geno.  That's not what he said there.  The whole article suggests frustration with Geno, and the quote you're reading into as a positive for Geno is actually a negative. 

Players have lost their jobs for better reasons than Geno lost his over.  Not only an injury but one he basically self-induced by being a giant child.  No bueno.  Especially since Bowles is supposed to be a tougher coach from the Parcells tree. 

We may well go back to Geno if the coaching staff feels its the right call.  But nothing is at all secured for him at this point.  Certainly putting a W-L number on it and saying "If X happens Geno takes over" is not reflective of what he said.

So you read into that by saying if we're not playing perfect ball, we'll go back to Geno. That's not what he said there. The whole article suggests frustration with Geno, and the quote you're reading into as a positive for Geno is actually a negative.

Players have lost their jobs for better reasons than Geno lost his over. Not only an injury but one he basically self-induced by being a giant child. No bueno. Especially since Bowles is supposed to be a tougher coach from the Parcells tree.

We may well go back to Geno if the coaching staff feels its the right call. But nothing is at all secured for him at this point. Certainly putting a W-L number on it and saying "If X happens Geno takes over" is not reflective of what he said.

I'm saying that it's exactly what Bowles said when I listened to the presser and it's exactly what your quote said. Players don't lose their starting positions to their backup unless the backup is playing well and the teams winning. No matter how many times you say it losing your stRting job because a moron tnug punched you isn't a good reason to lose it.

And again all reports are Fitz looks like shlt in practice. While Geno looked good. Some reporters are saying it was night and day. You of course don't get that and want Geno out no matter what. You just can't bring yourself to say it like others have

I'm saying that it's exactly what Bowles said when I listened to the presser and it's exactly what your quote said. Players don't lose their starting positions to their backup unless the backup is playing well and the teams winning.

Bowles said. “You can lose your job because of injury. You can lose your job because of a lot of things, but that’s something we’ll talk about once we get to that point.”

Bowles said. “You can lose your job because of injury. You can lose your job because of a lot of things, but that’s something we’ll talk about once we get to that point.”

You will argue anything. He said that in his presser what you posted above. When talking about the QBs. Argue it all you want keep going back and forth. You asked where I got it, you found the quote saying exactly what I said and you keep looking for other quotes. WTF

Your making excuses for Fitzs 's wins  based on the fact that the teams around him (defense, running game etc,.) were not very good. But you use his favorable stats over Geno's w/o looking at Geno's woeful offense over the past 2 seasons.

I'm rooting for Fitz wile he's playing but would much rather have Geno take the next step as it is better for the immediate future .

Lol discussion equals excuses in your mind? I guess all QBs before 16 game schedule stunk because they generally had less wins per season. But there were less games! Excuses!

It is very funny though for Geno fans to use Ws and Ls to denigrate Fitz.  Glass houses, gentlemen.

You will argue anything. He said that in his presser what you posted above. When talking about the QBs. Argue it all you want keep going back and forth. You asked where I got it, you found the quote saying exactly what I said and you keep looking for other quotes. WTF

It's from the same quote I posted earlier. Unless Bowles completely changed his tune within a week I'm sensing you're reading into something else too much.

Anyone being objective would feel the same. Unfortunately objectivity is not big around here. 

I really don't see the part where Bowles says Geno can't lose his job.  Fitz's performance will be a factor in what they do with Geno.  But nowhere in what Bowles said is he guaranteeing Geno anything.  It's pretty clear to me what he's saying.

They're not exactly committing to your conquering hero either...

So your answer, your plan is start the QB who loses the QB competition?

What kind of backwards logic is this?

The point is Geno already won two qb competitions. And guess what he still got benched in both of those seasons putting up impressive games where he threw like 3 picks in 6 passes before the team wised up and put his ass on the bench. Flashes.

The point is Geno already won two qb competitions. And guess what he still got benched in both of those seasons putting up impressive games where he threw like 3 picks in 6 passes before the team wised up and put his ass on the bench. Flashes.

So your logic is because he beat out Sanchez and Vick but still played like a QB who needs to develop even if he's completely outplaying his backup he should be benched?

Lol, now that's the way any FO would go

where did I say geno didn't suck?  the point is we were able to win 8 games w/ him w/ a crappy roster.  Fitz has had better rosters and his teams have never won more than 6 in a season w/ him.

again with the geno won 8 games bit? lol. geno was more of a factor in losing 8 games that year than he was in winning 8.

Archived