Could Jets trade for Matt Stafford in the offseason?

Villain The Foe

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking about this too, especially with Fitz as a free agent....but I think from a comfort zone, they're going to stick with Fitz, even if just as an invaluable #2.

i assume Fitz and Petty will be on next year's roster.

the question for me comes down to: do you want Bradford as you final QB on the roster, and likely #1, or do we draft one of next year's QBs to compete with petty long term for the #1 spot?

I can't watchthe Jets this year because that loser Fitzpatrick is our QB, if anyone thinks he is better than Bradford they need to get their head examined, and if I have to watch another year of Fitzpatrick in 16 I'll prob just tune out the Jets completely.  This is the least invested I've been in the Jets since the Bollinger year, hope I don't have to be indifferent again next year because Fitz is the QB.

So yes Bradford please, once he gets away from that lunatic Kelly, and that's after having to deal with sh*theimer for a few years I think Bradford will really blossom like Brees did once a coach committed to design an offense around his skill set.

I can't watchthe Jets this year because that loser Fitzpatrick is our QB, if anyone thinks he is better than Bradford they need to get their head examined, and if I have to watch another year of Fitzpatrick in 16 I'll prob just tune out the Jets completely.  This is the least invested I've been in the Jets since the Bollinger year, hope I don't have to be indifferent again next year because Fitz is the QB.

So yes Bradford please, once he gets away from that lunatic Kelly, and that's after having to deal with sh*theimer for a few years I think Bradford will really blossom like Brees did once a coach committed to design an offense around his skill set.

and 5 minutes after we trade for Bradford he will get hurt.  He is better than Stafford even though his injury history is asinine 

Matthew Stafford is not a top ten QB. He's actually fairly overrated and the asking price would probably be prohibitive. If you want a QB that can hold the Jets over until Petty, he's already on the roster and his name is Fitzmagic.

I disagree. Stafford has been a fantasy stud until this season when defenses realized the Lions can't run the ball and if trapped in the pocket he is not mobile. If protected this guy is the equal of Matty Ice, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers and is younger than each of them except Ryan. His cost would be prohibitive because I don't expect Detroit to just give him away. As for Sperm Edwards...never mention Colin Kaepernick again. He is one of the three worst QB's I have ever seen. Manziel, RGIII and Kaepernick are all the same guy and they are JAG's all the way.

We should get Stafford and Ray Rice and start a has-been fantasy football team roster for the LA expansion franchise.  Kim Kardashian can date a new teammate every year for her reality show.

Stafford can force it into quadruple coverage to Chad Ochocinco then blame the OL for his pick 6.

Bradford stinks like rotten garbage, and is more fragile than glass. Fitzy is head and shoulders better than Bradford and is gutsier and tougher. I think we give Fitzy this year and let him battle it out with Petty for the QB job next year. Either way the Jets can't lose as they will have a good starter and a good backup.

We already did this thread.  And like I explained before... I have seen more Stafford than possibly any other JN member while living in Michigan from '09 to '14.

He is NOT a quality QB.

the amount of exposure you have had to his play doesn't automatically make your opinion the right one. I'm not going to dispute what you are saying because while yes, I had watched Stafford.. I haven't played close attention to what he does. He needs an Oline and some ground game. In my eyes he was a top 15, top 10 guy anyway. With the right tools I think he is top ten WITHOUT question and that's enough for us. Our core guys are 30,31..even 32. Its time to go all in on a QB that can go the season distance. Now or never for Revis and his generation of Jets.

Stafford sucks. I used to think it was an aberration, bad luck, etc... no. Guy is underachiever who doesn't show vision and poise. 

And can we please stop pretending he's "developing"... He was drafted in 2009. I can't think of any other QB who's been given as much time, talent, and opportunity to become a franchise leader and a winner. 

He's done thing but hold down the fort, and is routinely outplayed by Hill/Orlovsky when they've had to fill in. 

Such a quick release too.

Best arm in the history of the game, IMO... Cannon, quick release. tireless... perfect. 

He had a workout as recently as a couple years ago @ Illinois. Filmed and sent out to teams. He still had it.  

the amount of exposure you have had to his play doesn't automatically make your opinion the right one. I'm not going to dispute what you are saying because while yes, I had watched Stafford.. I haven't played close attention to what he does. He needs an Oline and some ground game. In my eyes he was a top 15, top 10 guy anyway. With the right tools I think he is top ten WITHOUT question and that's enough for us. Our core guys are 30,31..even 32. Its time to go all in on a QB that can go the season distance. Now or never for Revis and his generation of Jets.

You are dead wrong about top 10.  Stafford is lazy, as shown by his footwork which has not improved one iota since day 1 in Detroit.  He is also careless, often throwing off his back foot and sidearm when the pocket has NOT broken down resulting in unnecessarily inaccurate throws.   He is also sorely lacking in charisma and leadership as shown by how his teammates interact with him.  They consider him a coworker, not "their" quarterback. Fitz inspires teammates better and generates more respect.

Stafford is a slightly less douchey version of Cutler.  All talent, no heart.

I realize this could be interpreted as obnoxious, but my opinion IS the right one.

You are dead wrong about top 10.  Stafford is lazy, as shown by his footwork which has not improved one iota since day 1 in Detroit.  He is also careless, often throwing off his back foot and sidearm when the pocket has NOT broken down resulting in unnecessarily inaccurate throws.   He is also sorely lacking in charisma and leadership as shown by how his teammates interact with him.  They consider him a coworker, not "their" quarterback. Fitz inspires teammates better and generates more respect.

I realize this could be interpreted as obnoxious, but my opinion IS the right one.

I wasn't convinced until I saw that you capitalize "is" in that last line there.

We are talking about a guy that broke records. He is tough as nails and he is a franchise QB. I stand by that. College FB is shelling out 4 QB's a year... 3 of them are becoming trash, if Stafford Is available YOU DO WHAT IT TAKES TO GET HIM. At all costs... That is if you want to win.

based on all that winning he's done in detroit...

Stafford sucks. I used to think it was an aberration, bad luck, etc... no. Guy is underachiever who doesn't show vision and poise. 

And can we please stop pretending he's "developing"... He was drafted in 2009. I can't think of any other QB who's been given as much time, talent, and opportunity to become a franchise leader and a winner. 

He's done thing but hold down the fort, and is routinely outplayed by Hill/Orlovsky when they've had to fill in. 

^^^this

Can you please explain, in detail, what happens to a quarterback who holds a clipboard in year three that doesn't happen by year two (of holding a clipboard)?

In detail, rookies who are number 3 on the depth chart are practicing with 2nd and 3rd stringers who don't help said rookies development in the 1st year, so throwing him out there with very limited experience and expecting veteran results is dumb. Give him an extra year to climb up the charts and get some quality time with the 1s and I think he'll be ready in year three. Does that meet with your expectations of "in detail?"

In detail, rookies who are number 3 on the depth chart are practicing with 2nd and 3rd stringers who don't help said rookies development in the 1st year, so throwing him out there with very limited experience and expecting veteran results is dumb. Give him an extra year to climb up the charts and get some quality time with the 1s and I think he'll be ready in year three. Does that meet with your expectations of "in detail?"

Climb up the charts. You mean like a Beatles song?

Oh, yeah, The Aaron Rodgers Recipe for Making a Quarterback. I really have no idea how any QB starts before his fourth year in the league.

since he is the only successful spread offense QB in the NFL right now, it's a recipe worth paying attention 2.

if you want to follow the Alex smith, rg3, Tebow, Kapernick, and Geno recipe...go ahead

You are dead wrong about top 10.  Stafford is lazy, as shown by his footwork which has not improved one iota since day 1 in Detroit.   He is also sorely lacking in charisma and leadership as shown by how his teammates interact with him.  They consider him a coworker, not "their" quarterback. Fitz generates more respect.

My opinion IS the right one.

What you guys aren't understanding is the supporting cast for him is garbage. And as far as the balance between heart and talent... No one opinion is right.

Archived