A Brief Reminder About The Board Rules - Several Members Banned This Week

Maxman

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I must say that there's a difference, and it's always in the eye of the beholder. Let me explain. Take me for example, I've been all over particular threads professing my point of view that Geno should get an opportunity at the starting position. I've been in debates, some arguments etc. However, the difference here isnt in the amount of posts (my 1000 to someone's 1 or 2) but where its posted. 

What's the difference between a person posting 1,000 posts in a thread about a topic relevant to the thread posted and the person who posts one or two times in "every" thread just to say that Geno sucks or to cut him? Lets be real here, the 1,000 posts was based within a convo relevant to the topic, while the one or two posts were said just to bother the people who are in support of a guy, not that it brought something to the table that was necessarily relevant to the topic. It was more to talk crap about the guy for his supporters to read. 

However, if you look in the main "Fitzpatrick merged" thread that has like 250 pages, notice that a guy like myself havent posted in that thread for months. Why? Because outside of not being interested in Ryan Fitzpatrick, people have the right to talk about a guy they like/support without me going in with one or two posts saying Fitz is garbage, we should cut him or not resign him. 

Sure, 1 or 2 posts arent the same as 1,000 when you add them up, but one is based on the topic being discussed and the other is to simply state disdain for a guy while at the same time not truly having any interest in the topic. 

BUT, the offseason is over. Fitz is here and he's the starter. Im about to lose a couple bets but in the end its about the Jets. Dont sweat it Joe. We all have our feelings about players, but at the same time pointing at the Geno supporters is kinda unfair when the same thing happens with Fitz supporters. How many threads had to be locked just because someone created a thread just to trash Geno? Just look at the amount of people who had threads either locked or actually banned based on Geno Smith and their utter disrespect. This past week is a perfect example. And think about it, this FItz debate has gone on since Jan. 3rd for the most part. How many years here have Geno supporters heard about the same "behind the back" fumble, airport incident, pics he sent to a nursing student, his incompetence, his inability to read a defense (yet never provide examples), he can never be a leader, he can never develop, he's a lost cause etc.? That didnt suddenly stop this offseason while people where talking about Fitz. How far has those comments gone with Fitz in comparison to Geno? I never seen anyone call Fitzpatrick "stupid and if he wasnt in the league he'd be a drug dealer"....have you? Most of the anti-Fitz guys for the most part keep it football. We cant say the same about Geno Smith. 

When you support the "other guy" sometimes things like that can fly under the radar and it will just look like 4 or 5 guys making the place unreadable when guys on the other side of the coin are in all reality doing the same exact thing. 

Its called the offseason! :-) We made it through though. Enjoy the forums and the season. From the looks of it, the Fitz supporters have the last laugh anyway! 

It's very clear you don't understand what everyone here is saying and what the point of this thread is. 

This is why it won't stop happening. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, cant wait said:

You're correct but a little off base here IMO. I totally agree with you about the cable news phenomenon here.. people no longer want the news, they want to tune into their news source of choice and be told that all their opinions are correct, given a pat on the head and get validation that they are on the right side and anybody who disagrees with them is less intelligent, evil, the enemy, etc. From what I've seen its made people intellectually lazy, insecure, belligerent, and basically overgrown babies who constantly scream and whine about "the other side" instead of being able to engage each other in a meaningful debate. It really is a shame.... Very astute observation though 

See my other post about beating with experience.  It is equally astute.

I agree with the original poster, and the board was basically unreadable for stretches of the offseason.  Almost every topic was about Fitzpatrick and/or Geno, and we had the same handful of posters making the same arguments over and over going in circles.  When people spend most of their lives on a message board, quality over quantity goes out the window.  In any case, I believe this is simply the nature of message boards, and not much can be done to avoid it other than the community as a whole actively working toward keeping topics and discussions as fresh as possible.

I'm just glad the offseason is over and we can finally start talking about real football.  Believe it or not, there is more to this team than just the quarterback position.

13 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I know Max likes the post count high but I also know mods can see what I can see. Don't let a few posters post Jetnation to death. 

Maybe no one gives a crap but it is jmho. 

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Preaching to the choir. I've been saying for a while that driving up post counts should not trump content quality. 

Guys we appreciate the feedback, but unless I am missing something, please let me know what we are doing to drive up the post count? In the past week several posters have been banned, one of them being PatsFanTx. If we wanted to drive post counts artificially we would keep him around.

The season just started, we have two warning threads on the home page. We have actual football to talk about now.

Anytime you get a board this size not everyone is going to get along. We are normally very relaxed when it comes to banning, but we noticed all the fighting and have been actively removing posters that can't get along or don't follow the rules.

Thanks. 

37 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I agree with the original poster, and the board was basically unreadable for stretches of the offseason.  Almost every topic was about Fitzpatrick and/or Geno, and we had the same handful of posters making the same arguments over and over going in circles.  When people spend most of their lives on a message board, quality over quantity goes out the window.  In any case, I believe this is simply the nature of message boards, and not much can be done to avoid it other than the community as a whole actively working toward keeping topics and discussions as fresh as possible.

I'm just glad the offseason is over and we can finally start talking about real football.  Believe it or not, there is more to this team than just the quarterback position.

Totally agree. Which is why I am glad that we have two credentialed site members at camp this week, bringing actual Jets news!

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I just merged all three threads, 3 of the top 6 were about the board. Let's talk about the Jets. :)

Thanks everyone.

I can't take this brutal fascist dictatorship anymore.

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Guys we appreciate the feedback, but unless I am missing something, please let me know what we are doing to drive up the post count? In the past week several posters have been banned, one of them being PatsFanTx. If we wanted to drive post counts artificially we would keep him around.

The season just started, we have two warning threads on the home page. We have actual football to talk about now.

Anytime you get a board this size not everyone is going to get along. We are normally very relaxed when it comes to banning, but we noticed all the fighting and have been actively removing posters that can't get along or don't follow the rules.

Thanks. 

Allowing simple threads to spiral off into the same Geno/Fitz debate, one thread at a time, over and over... gives the appearance that arguing about Geno/Fitz, and the trolling and emo melts that come with it, becomes volume which is >>>> quality content.

I don't care about people getting along. I don't expect that. I personally have had you guys ask me to reign it in when I'm over the top with d-baggery PLENTY of times. I've made a concerted effort not to sh*t up threads the way I used to. However, there's no consistency to it. As an example, maybe a week ago Slats asked me and one of the redundant folks to knock it off. I stopped. The other person just turned his attention to 5-6 others. Meaning, my involvement was irrelevant. I wasn't the problem. I was just a new dance partner... and the minute I stepped out, the other person just carried on with the nonsense with anyone else who dared to try and talk in the thread.

This, to me, show that there is no editorial point of view for the site content, and there's a moving target on what constitutes "wrong" behavior.

I say this all constructively. End of the day, I don't care if nothing changes. I chimed in because I agree with the perspective of the OP, but ultimately defer to you guys.

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Allowing simple threads to spiral off into the same Geno/Fitz debate, one thread at a time, over and over... gives the appearance that arguing about Geno/Fitz, and the trolling and emo melts that come with it, becomes volume which is >>>> quality content.

I don't care about people getting along. I don't expect that. I personally have had you guys ask me to reign it in when I'm over the top with d-baggery PLENTY of times. I've made a concerted effort not to sh*t up threads the way I used to. However, there's no consistency to it. As an example, maybe a week ago Slats asked me and one of the redundant folks to knock it off. I stopped. The other person just turned his attention to 5-6 others. Meaning, my involvement was irrelevant. I wasn't the problem. I was just a new dance partner... and the minute I stepped out, the other person just carried on with the nonsense with anyone else who dared to try and talk in the thread.

This, to me, show that there is no editorial point of view for the site content, and there's a moving target on what constitutes "wrong" behavior.

I say this all constructively. End of the day, I don't care if nothing changes. I chimed in because I agree with the perspective of the OP, but ultimately defer to you guys.

Chamge sucks.  I hate it .  Football is coming to save us.  Thank heavens. 

2 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

It's very clear you don't understand what everyone here is saying and what the point of this thread is. 

This is why it won't stop happening. 

Everyone didnt make this thread, and I doubt everyone feels the same. I do understand you, I just see that you dont accept the reality of my response. Its not that I dont understand what you're saying (because its not everyone), its that everyone is always saying something...some are similar, some arent...which is ultimately why it wont stop happening. We're not "The Borg". 

I remember over the spring (I must continue to use myself as an example) I was told by a poster here that I make the board unreadable. I showed them how to block a person on here, and they blocked me. They never had a problem out of me again. Problem solved. Its better to block the people, especially if its just "4 or 5 people that you're not interested in" rather than reading all of there quotes and wanting them to change into what you think is "okay". Why make a thread about it when blocking actually takes care of the problem? If you block them then how could they ever make the boards unreadable? Serious question. 

The only thing that I can conclude is that some people may actually be attracted to what they complain about, especially if its actually (literally) possible to block themselves from accessing that information that makes the space undesirable. Just sayin'.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Thanks. 

Did Tx declare himself unbannable again? That scamp!

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Everyone didnt make this thread (pre merge), you did. I understand you, I just see that you dont accept the reality of my response. Its not that I dont understand what everyone is saying, its that everyone is always saying something...some are similar, some arent...which is ultimately why it wont stop happening. We're not "The Borg". 

I remember over the summer (I must continue to use myself as an example) I was told by a poster here that I make the board unreadable. I showed them how to block a person on here, and they blocked me. They never had a problem out of me again. Problem solved. Its better to block the people, especially if its just 4 or 5 people that you're not interested in rather than reading all of there quotes and wanting them to change into what you think is "okay". Why make a thread about it when blocking actually takes care of the problem? If you block them then how could they ever make the boards unreadable? Serious question. 

Ignoring individuals doesn't solve the problem when there is pervasive derailment across all topics.

Reality here is that JN implements a "you're stupid, so you get away with it" and "you're not stupid, so we expect better from you and want you to stop" social code. I've accepted it, but I've had plenty experience flirting with the line by making fun of the dummies.

Others here, the ones speaking up today, don't have visibility into that stuff. My guess is that they just view JN as the best fan site on the internet, and want it to act the part. Thanks to you, and several others, over the past few months the reading experience here is now on par with the comments section under political videos on Youtube.

Hey guys - let me be really clear. Knock it the fuck off. We hear the feedback from the good posters. Those that choose to attack others will be banned. No more jokes, no more bullshit. Just talk Jets football or you will be gone.

End of story.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Ignoring individuals doesn't solve the problem when there is pervasive derailment across all topics.

Reality here is that JN implements a "you're stupid, so you get away with it" and "you're not stupid, so we expect better from you and want you to stop" social code. I've accepted it, but I've had plenty experience flirting with the line by making fun of the dummies.

Others here, the ones speaking up today, don't have visibility into that stuff. My guess is that they just view JN as the best fan site on the internet, and want it to act the part. Thanks to you, and several others, over the past few months the reading experience here is now on par with the comments section under political videos on Youtube.

In the middle of responding to this I just read max response. I erased my original response and decided to listen to his instructions. 

The season started yesterday. Go Jets! 

I don't know how you have an "editorial point of view for the site content" on a user-generated message board. As a long time reader and intermittent poster on JN what I can say is that whenever I've read threads that've caused posters to be banned it was because their posts were "off". By that I mean, when reading the thread containing the exchange between Tx and RJF, I was like, these posts from Tx are weird. You don't get banned for opinions here, just uncivil and oftentimes out-of-character behavior.

Archived