The emerging backup QB conundrum

jetscrazey

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

PUP isn't an option once you practice 

A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I don't think its such a tough decision still. Even if the PUP list is off the table.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, slats said:

I'm not sure if the Jets have the right to bring him up if someone makes a claim on him. The only other moves are going with four QBs. or mysteriously landing Petty or Hack on the IR list. I'm frankly not so sure that teams would jump to dump their own #3 QB so quickly, or add a #3 QB when they were only previously carrying two, for the services of Bryce Petty. 

Excellent point about how other teams look at their own depth chart.  But... it still is a risk.  What was the point of picking a project last year only to risk losing him without having really seen what he has?

On July 28, 2016 at 1:02 AM, Blackout said:

I have no idea what everyone here has against Geno but he has much more upside than the other 2 back ups ever will

HIs performances outside of the Miami week 17 games say otherwise. 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:25 AM, Warfish said:

Your objection is utterly irrelevant.  This is clearly a win-now team, moving like a win-now team, and the entire professional NFL analyst population describes us as a win-now team.

Failure to win this year likely means we dump a number of expensive veterans for cheap kids or new draft picks, change QB to a kid, and have at least a temporary "rebuild" year in 2017.  

Add to the list of things that cause me amazement that some sizeable portion of the fans here fails to see this is a win now team.  The only caveat I have to your position is with the previous post, since despite the one year contract for Fitzpatrick, I don't believe the FO thinks the vet presence this year and overall effort will be out aside in 17.  Going into last year the only corps vet player who was looking really shaky was Ferguson, and sure enough he's retired. But hopefully Clady will be a more than adequate replacement, going into 17 as well. Mangold, Harris, Marshall, Decker, Revis, Wilkerson, and of course the younger guys like WIlliams and Richardson, the new vet in Forte, will all presumably be still here and ready to play in 17.  And  that may even include Fitzpatrick if Hack is not ready, or some other better option does not present itself.

SO yeah this is  win now team, but win or lose I don't expect a huge restructuring next off season.

On July 28, 2016 at 7:56 AM, Joe Jets fan said:

The love for Geno Smith on these forums is just shocking to me.  He is a terrible QB and an a$$ hole of a person.  I can not wait till the day comes and he is no longer a NYJ.  I hope it comes today.   

No kidding... I say cut him now and bring in Foles as the backup then let the pieces fall where they may. I so sick of these Geno hopefuls

As for the OP's overall question, the Jets do not have to answer it until the final cut down.  It is at least somewhat doubtful they will keep four qb's for the usual reason, but this situation looks like it may be tailor made for an exception to the rule.

But the main thing is we don't have the info the team will have by the time of the final cut down.  By then several things may have happened that could affect the decision.  Such as whether Petty or Hackenburg show themselves capable of being the backup.  SUre right now that looks unlikely, but it could happen.  If one or the other does, then the decision to cut Smith will be simple.  He has no future with the team and the Jets will not want him under contract past this year.  (And fwiw I don't think Smith will want to stay here, either, not that I care about his feelings.)

And while it may be fair to say Smith has been better behaving himself since the IK incident, that could change.  He could lead the team to be forced to cut him, and then they would look elsewhere for a vet backup if Petty and Hack are both not ready.

One thing that certainly will not happen is cutting Hack (my offering today of stating the totally obvious), so if Smith stays and they don't want to keep 4, it will depend on Petty's performance in camp.  It is after all possible that he could be so bad as to have the team give up on him even as a project.  If he performs badly enough, there is that much less downside to risking another team picking him off waivers, simultaneously while such poor performance would discourage interest in him.  We of course do not want that to happen, but the point remains that such a future development could help resolve this question easily.

How do u know petty will perform badly? Are you some kind of quarterback Guru?

Have you forgotten that Geno is horrible. I have feeling Geno will be gone! We can only hope

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

On 7/28/2016 at 1:13 AM, jetsfellow said:

Can someone tell me how long does it take a QB to be ready to step in and play in the NFL? Does it really take three years? Will Hack be ready in one? This will be Geno's third year and by all accounts he's not ready as evident by his past play. So Petty will need another year at least of sitting, practicing, and learning? Really seems like a long time to learn the freaking playbook and defenses, no?

It all depends on the QB. Hack will probably be ready in 2017 b/c he is already pretty close mentally (IMO). He just needs to learn the playbook and work out some issues with footwork. Not saying it will be easy, not saying he will be a Pro-Bowl caliber QB. Just saying after 1 season Hack should at least be ready to start and show what he can do in the NFL. 

Petty on the other hand (as well as Geno) don't have the football IQ that Hack has (IMO) and came from spread systems (at least Hack had one of his best seasons under O'Brien in a Pro system). But havig been in the NFL for a few years now and having in-game experience Geno IS ready. His past play was, essentially, over a year ago (excluding the Raiders game, where he played pretty well). And I believe his last game was, albeit meaningless, a game where he had a perfect passer rating (Dolphins week 17, 2014). 

As evidenced by Geno and Petty, QBs that come from a spread system and have to learn how to play from behind center and change their footwork typically take about 2 years. This is where Geno was when he was named starter last season but was hurt and lost his spot. This is where Petty SHOULD be in 2017. And as I said, this is where Hack will be in 2017.

2 seasons of 'grooming' is really not that much. It used to be standard for pretty much all QBs.  

4 minutes ago, mkajet01 said:

How do u know petty will perform badly? Are you some kind of quarterback Guru?

Have you forgotten that Geno is horrible. I have feeling Geno will be gone! We can only hope

Right now, and we will see in camp, pre-season and possible regular season, I believe Geno is the best QB on the roster (including Fitz). 

I don;t know how highly the Jets regard Petty as a prospect, but if ANYONE is going to get cut, it will be Petty. It's also not unheard of to go into the season with 4 QBs. 

I'm not a fan of Cimini and I don;t fully agree with all the guys he has making the team, but his list includes 4 QBs. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60909/jets-53-man-roster-projection-includes-four-quarterbacks-yes-really

14 minutes ago, mkajet01 said:

U like geno? Are you kidding me!

I mean, I don't know him personally. But yes, I like him as the NYJ starting QB going into this season. I don;t think Fitz would be a bad option either. I just think Geno has the better arm and is a better athlete and play-maker. 

Many if not most teams don't have an experienced backup. Teams who lost their starters last year really struggled. Chase Daniels has a total of 2 NFL starts in his career. Jimmy G with NEP has hardly played. NEP most likely will put in their most vanilla of offenses. So Geno esp at 1.5 mil has value. If you're the backup Qb you get fewer reps and might have to go into the game cold and be expected to perform. And there's no excuses. You either do the job or you don't. Last year he didn't do anything against Oakland to give the Jets the idea of sitting an injured Fitz and starting Geno. He was barely adequate. He didn't take advantage of that opportunity. 

The only thing more puzzling than society's fixation on the "illuminati" is jets fans' obsession with Bryce Petty... Lol.. guy has been awful from day 1 and yet he gains more momentum on JN by the hour. "We got Petty waiting on the wings...."  the wings of what?? Pegasus?!? 

Petty is on the outside looking in. He needs to have the preseason of a lifetime to warrant the FO elevated him to #2 

On July 28, 2016 at 8:42 AM, jfmckenna said:

My prediction: Geno spends the next several weeks moping and sulking and forces the Jets to cut him.

Jets sign a vet back-up.

Petty is eventually cut, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my prediction; you like to watch paint dry. 

To follow up on that Raiders game. If Geno was lights out in that game and led the team to a W instead of a 14 point loss. Remember that game was 0-0 when he entered. And it was our worst game of the season. Maybe Bowles would have given him the next start instead of going back to Fitz with a broken left thumb. I don't think he really wanted to go with Fitz with that injury. And at that time even though Bowles had named Fitz starter for the season he really wasn't an established starter. This was before the 5 game winning streak. So he got a chance to play in 2015 and maybe play a lot more.

45 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

To follow up on that Raiders game. If Geno was lights out in that game and led the team to a W instead of a 14 point loss. Remember that game was 0-0 when he entered. And it was our worst game of the season. Maybe Bowles would have given him the next start instead of going back to Fitz with a broken left thumb. I don't think he really wanted to go with Fitz with that injury. And at that time even though Bowles had named Fitz starter for the season he really wasn't an established starter. This was before the 5 game winning streak. So he got a chance to play in 2015 and maybe play a lot more.

Not that yards mean anything , but Geno threw for almost 270 yards in that game , a game many here say he sucked in.  Fitz broke that mark in all of 5 games out of 15 starts . 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Not that yards mean anything , but Geno threw for almost 270 yards in that game , a game many here say he sucked in.  Fitz broke that mark in all of 5 games out of 15 starts . 

I didn't say he sucked. But he didn't do enough in that game to make Bowles want to give him a start even with an injured player. He had yards for sure. You can throw for 150 yards and if your team wins and the offense moves the ball you had a good game. But we lost the game and by the most we did all season. But imo he's earned the no. 2 Qb job already and there should be no Qb competition for it. If Fitz gets injured he's our next man up and BAP.

Right now, today, Geno is our best backup QB. The reports coming from the first 2 days of camp are not encouraging for Petty or Hack. But it's early. Preseason should give us a better look. I would say Petty would be the odd man out right now. I don't think the Jets have the money to get a vet QB backup. Some of you guys just hate Geno. I don't. I think he has to prove in the next couple weeks and in the preseason that he's a viable QB and an asset to the team or he has to move on. However, the Jets can't go into the season relying on Petty or Hack if Fitz goes down.

Gino has proved practice how you look in practice means nothing! He's bad! Would everyone stop these post of what if geno could play? He can't! He's not a leader! There's 1 practice already petty & hack suck really! Petty looked good last preseason game last year! If the Jets liked gino Smith at all, they would have let Fitz walk, geno is sh*t!

On 7/28/2016 at 0:08 AM, HessStation said:

I'm going to just guess, Petty to practice squad. Gene gone next year and you have Hackenberg or Petty...or FA or draft pick to choose from...

I think Geno has a chance to stick.  Fitz' contract is up next year and if Geno shows more promise and maturity in camp than the young guys and perhaps does well if Fitz goes down he has a chance to be the starter next year.   Hackenberg might not be ready by next season, if he is I see Fitz being his backup however. 

Hallelujah!!! 

"We'll see how it plays out over time in training camp, but it's something we discussed, "Maccagnan said. "In today's world, you really want to take the time to grow, develop and groom quarterbacks. Sometimes quarterbacks get thrown into the fire very early in their careers, but we would like the have the ability to invest time with the players and work and grow with them."

• 1 month later...
Can someone tell me how long does it take a QB to be ready to step in and play in the NFL? Does it really take three years? Will Hack be ready in one? This will be Geno's third year and by all accounts he's not ready as evident by his past play. So Petty will need another year at least of sitting, practicing, and learning? Really seems like a long time to learn the freaking playbook and defenses, no?

Well considering there aren't even 32 guys on the planet that do it well, I think you underestimate it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived