Why we haven't seen Hack IMO

Snell41

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I'm always going to be pissed about the pick because I think it was a waste, but I agree that it would take some of the sting out if it turns out they're just going to draft a guy every year until one hits. The absolute nightmare scenario is they pass over a solid prospect next year because they're committed to Hackenberg.

Right. That's exactly what I mean. As long as they are cutthroat about it, and signs point to they are, I don't mind throwing darts regularly. 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I'm always going to be pissed about the pick because I think it was a waste, but I agree that it would take some of the sting out if it turns out they're just going to draft a guy every year until one hits. The absolute nightmare scenario is they pass over a solid prospect next year because they're committed to Hackenberg.

With the recent rule changes not allowing absurd rookie contracts - this concern virtually goes away. While it may not be prudent to spend high draft picks on Qb's every year, the cap impact of doing so has been mitigated. Now if the CS and front office are in love with a player and blindly put all their eggs in one QB basket , then that truly becomes the nightmare scenario.

38 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

b/c they have 3 qbs who need the reps more this season.  fitz missed all the OTAs and needs work with the starters.  the gm needs to decide who the backup qb is.  plus you have a gm who is committed to the long-term development of multiple qbs.  petty and hack are the first to get their shots.  last year was petty's redshirt year but since he was the #3 qb last year he got preseason reps.  

My whole point here is the CS does not need any more information to see that Smith is not going to be a reliable backup, getting it done if the team needs it.  Meanwhile Hackenburg as I understand it is the only bench Qb likely to be on his team's roster who has yet to see the field.  Do you concede there is value in putting your developmental Qb's in games?

OF COURSE where this ends up going will depend very much on whether we see Hack at all in a pre-season game.  If they put him in there and he doesn't soil his underpants, this will be forgotten.

If we don't see him at all?  Different story.

22 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I'll just leave this here...

There’s no argument that Jared Goff wasn’t going to come into the NFL and blow away expectations, but the #1 overall pick isn’t even living up to expectations of a high-round draft pack.

According to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, Goff isn’t just sitting at backup behind Case Keenum on the Rams depth chart, but rather he’s the third-string quarterback behind Sean Mannion as well. Yes, Sean Mannion.

Though coaches are still optimistic about Goff’s talent and the plan that he will eventually become the starter, Veteran Case Keenum is still running the Rams offense.

Live-game NFL action doesn’t mesh well with lack of NFL experience, what seems concerning though is the fact that Goff is being outperformed by just the second-year QB Sean Mannion in practice.

Goff has had rough outing in both two opening preseason gaames for LA, being picked off on only his second career NFL pass.

Jets fans don't get this.

There is not one fit for all of the development of  a young QB. 

IMO when you have obviously flawed QBs such as in Sanchez, Geno, or Hackenberg then you must develop him, if you have Marino and so on then you start them and then there is the line in between in which you develop the QBs according to their various weaknesses and strengths.  

Jets fans want every QB to be Marino or Brady and it isn't going to just happen we have to hope that the coaching staff and the organization know how to develop a QB finally and give them a chance to do so.

7 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Jets fans don't get this.

There is not one fit for all of the development of  a young QB. 

IMO when you have obviously flawed QBs such as in Sanchez, Geno, or Hackenberg then you must develop him, if you have Marino and so on then you start them and then there is the line in between in which you develop the QBs according to their various weaknesses and strengths.  

Jets fans want every QB to be Marino or Brady and it isn't going to just happen we have to hope that the coaching staff and the organization know how to develop a QB finally and give them a chance to do so.

People that are pushing to see Hackenberg either want to troll him and the Jets or want a pre-season "thrill".

He needs to be rebuilt from the ground up and for once the organization realizes this and refuses to bow to fan/media

pressure

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

People that are pushing to see Hackenberg either want to troll him and the Jets or want a pre-season "thrill".

He needs to be rebuilt from the ground up and for once the organization realizes this and refuses to bow to fan/media

pressure

small sample, but i was at camp yesterday and he looked lost, just doesn't seem to know where to go with the ball.  petty looked way more confident in the pocket even when his throws sucked.  it's easier to see when the defense can't deck the qbs.

it seemed pretty obvious to me, hack is in a redshirt year, and they need to see what they have with petty, the wash game the first drive by wash was over 10 minutes, they barely got a look at fitz and geno in the first half... so they really needed to put petty through the motions in the 2nd half.  He delivered, and now the staff can evaluate him as a legit push for the backup role.  The conversation shifted from will we keep Petty on this team in 2016 to will we keep Geno in 2016, either way they were keeping Hack, didnt matter if he played.  This pre-season was all about Petty, next pre-season will be all about Hack.

Now the question is who gets the mid 3Q and 4Q snaps in Game 3?  Petty or Geno... hmmm...  

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

It's funny, because I never said, "there's zero chance" or to "cut his ass right now."

Him sucking is not an extreme, it's a simple continuation of his college career.

The preemptive I told you so's is a form of twisted Jets fan joy. While you haven't stated it, there have been others that have stated that he should be cut and given up on already. That's ludicrous.

im not sold on hack but who knows what comes next, maybe Petty is the guy and we never find out about Hack or maybe Fitz wins a super bowl. Unless we bomb this season we won't be in position to draft a blue chip prospect, so any potential QB we draft is a long shot, developmental type so we'll be tied to QBs of hack or Petty's pedigree. 

Looking at Hackenberg as a failure already is extreme.

Okay here are the issues from a semi anti Hackenburg fan.  Since there seems to be a lot of confusion as to why people are taking the jets and perhaps the QB himself to task.

- I do not expect him to start this year, I do not expect him to be the backup this year, I do expect him to show enough to be considered the #3 Qb this year.  I am totally fine with him being given one or two full years before any major playing time impact.

- Our 4th round pick from last year, this year is challenging for the backup spot this season.

- We are seeing a totally exceptional situation for a Qb whom I don't consider exceptional.  (As in the article in another thread stating that the last time a 2nd round pick had not had any time in the 1st two ex games was 2000 or something like that.)

- I am seeing as a justification for him not seeing almost any reps and no playing time that his mechanics have to be totally rebuilt.  Fine, I am okay with that.....for a 6th round draft pick that you take a chance on.  If a guy needs such a massive amount of work on just throwing the ball then there is no way he was worthy of a 2nd round pick when this team has other pressing needs.

- People keep bringing up all sorts of examples from petty to goff to geno to sanchez to Lynch to Rogers in this discussion all of them played in the ex season.  Rogers the poster boy for not being brought along too fast played in every single ex game in his rookie season.

All of us fans want to find that good starter, all of us, even the guys who did not want to draft hackenburg will be delighted if we look like nuts when two years from now he becomes a solid starter.  At this point in time looking at everything about him it doesn't add up to a good situation, 

Regardless of what happens at all this year, next year we will be having the exact same conversion,  Can this guy play at all?  Do we use a high pick on a QB? 

6 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I'll just leave this here...

There’s no argument that Jared Goff wasn’t going to come into the NFL and blow away expectations, but the #1 overall pick isn’t even living up to expectations of a high-round draft pack.

According to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, Goff isn’t just sitting at backup behind Case Keenum on the Rams depth chart, but rather he’s the third-string quarterback behind Sean Mannion as well. Yes, Sean Mannion.

Though coaches are still optimistic about Goff’s talent and the plan that he will eventually become the starter, Veteran Case Keenum is still running the Rams offense.

Live-game NFL action doesn’t mesh well with lack of NFL experience, what seems concerning though is the fact that Goff is being outperformed by just the second-year QB Sean Mannion in practice.

Goff has had rough outing in both two opening preseason gaames for LA, being picked off on only his second career NFL pass.

Shhhhhhhhhhh. You're interrupting the circlejerk.

We used a 2nd round pick and the fans here want to check themselves into a crisis center over Hack sitting and learning when it was known from day one that's what he would be doing.  Imagine what some would do if we traded our next 3(?) drafts for a guy that is playing worse than Sean Mannion. Now I'm not saying Goff is gonna flop, but LA better do something similar to us and not rush the kid or else its not going to be a pretty start for them in their new city.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

small sample, but i was at camp yesterday and he looked lost, just doesn't seem to know where to go with the ball.  petty looked way more confident in the pocket even when his throws sucked.  it's easier to see when the defense can't deck the qbs.

Which is almost exactly how Petty came off as last year in the dog days of camp.  Now he's the second coming around here.  I'm happy that Bryce has developed. Not just because we may have something there, but also because it shows that coaching staff knows how to do things the right way and will do the right thing to fix up Hack.

Archived