Why we haven't seen Hack IMO

Snell41

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Hackenburg were even close to ready he would've been a slam dunk first rounder considering his physical gifts may actually be superior to any other QB in the class. He had just about the most effed up college experience you can imagine with the sanctions and the coaching/system switch etc. It's weird to say about a rookie but he's a reclamation project.

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

If Hackenburg were even close to ready he would've been a slam dunk first rounder considering his physical gifts may actually be superior to any other QB in the class. He had just about the most effed up college experience you can imagine with the sanctions and the coaching/system switch etc. It's weird to say about a rookie but he's a reclamation project.

You can look at it another way that the guy was too rigid and not adjustable to a new offense from a new coach. How will he adjust to multiple coaches in the NFL? Lot of people are making excuses for Hackenberg but if he doesn't play at all this preseason and then hold a clipboard the entire season people and the media will be barking. Why take a reclamation project when you could have had someone much further along like Connor Cook and Dax Prescott. Plus the added benefit of taking both those guys at a more draft friendly round. No one will contest a 4th rounder doing well or bad but you draft someone in the 2nd round you want some immediate results.

3 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

You can look at it another way that the guy was too rigid and not adjustable to a new offense from a new coach. How will he adjust to multiple coaches in the NFL? Lot of people are making excuses for Hackenberg but if he doesn't play at all this preseason and then hold a clipboard the entire season people and the media will be barking. Why take a reclamation project when you could have had someone much further along like Connor Cook and Dax Prescott. Plus the added benefit of taking both those guys at a more draft friendly round. No one will contest a 4th rounder doing well or bad but you draft someone in the 2nd round you want some immediate results.

Oh believe me I'm not excuse-making. 2nd round QBs have major red flags, otherwise they would be first rounders. Hack's are not physical, they are mental, so in the sense that you can change your mindset a lot easier than your physical ability, I'm just looking for some cause for optimism. But have to be realistic, the washout rate for 2nd round QBs it probably at least 75% (just a blind guess). Regarding your point about a scheme change, at least his best year (Frosh) was in a pro style scheme. Every player has their strengths and weaknesses. I'd prefer a QB who excels in a pro scheme than in the spread.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Oh believe me I'm not excuse-making. 2nd round QBs have major red flags, otherwise they would be first rounders. Hack's are not physical, they are mental, so in the sense that you can change your mindset a lot easier than your physical ability, I'm just looking for some cause for optimism. But have to be realistic, the washout rate for 2nd round QBs it probably at least 75% (just a blind guess). Regarding your point about a scheme change, at least his best year (Frosh) was in a pro style scheme. Every player has their strengths and weaknesses. I'd prefer a QB who excels in a pro scheme than in the spread.

Then you factor in the Jets abysmul 2nd round picks and it just adds to the drama.

On July 31, 2016 at 7:18 PM, C Mart said:

well if your buddy is the talent evaluator / GM in waiting that you are.........

On August 4, 2016 at 8:11 PM, PepPep said:

Just posted this in another thread. But worth repeating. 

Can we stop talking about D.Lee like he is 'tiny'. He's not. He's the same size as NUMEROUS productive LBs in the NFL. 

He hasn't played a single down in the NFL yet, so even though I am excited to see what he can do, I'm not going to assume he will make an immediate impact. He should, and I think he will, but its not a given. But what I DO know is that he is NOT tiny when compared to lots of great NFL linebackers- SO GET OVER IT! Just because people keep repeating it, does not make it true.

D. Lee- 6'1, 235

L'Avonte David- 6'1, 233

Danny Trevathan- 6'1, 231 

Deone Bucannon- 6'1, 211

Kiko Alonso- 6'3, 238

Lawrence Timmons- 6,1, 234

Bobby Wagner- 6'0, 241

Brandon Marshal- 6'2, 238

Mychal Kendricks- 5'11, 239

D'Qwell Jackson- 6'0, 240

Telvin Smith- 6'3, 218

Denzel Perryman- 5'11, 236

Eric Kendricks- 6'0, 232

Ryan Shazier- 6'1, 237

And on and on and on...

On August 5, 2016 at 4:05 AM, MaxAF said:

When I think of the GMs in the last few years Tannenbaum, Izdik and Mac I think Macc is a big improvement. I believe this guy knows talent. Could be wrong but 10-6 is a big turnaround in one year. I like his selections last yr. This year I'm cautiously optimistic. Time will tell. There's no doubt Lee is talented and has the heart and tools to be great. He was an impact player and leader in college. Don't forget this kid is 21 years old. He's got alot of growing to do size wise and football wise. Personally I think it's a good pick for a little guy. Ha!

On August 4, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Beerfish said:

Antonio Allen since departed did a good job vs tes. 

No way Lee is 235 LB's. He looks around 225 LB's. I think he was pumped up for the combine.

7 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

I agree with most of this.  Cook was severely limited and his ceiling, IMO, wasn't worth drafting.  I agreed we over drafted Hack.  But that seems to be trend with our second picks for as long as I remember.  Harris was the last 2nd rounder that did anything for this team.  And even with Macc's scouting background, we take major products in round 2.  

I really hope D. Smith pans out, but right now, how much better is he than Peake or Anderson? And he has a year on both.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

He's got the smallest hands of any QB in the class and struggles to throw spirals. The issues are definitely physical.

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He's got the smallest hands of any QB in the class and struggles to throw spirals. The issues are definitely physical.

9'' same as the #1 overall pick, Jared Goff. But yeah that is tiny. I'm 6' tall and just measure my hands and they are bigger than that and I can't throw a spiral with a NFL sized pigskin with any regularity. Thanks for pointing out the hand size thing. I didn't know that.

43 minutes ago, jgb said:

9'' same as the #1 overall pick, Jared Goff. But yeah that is tiny. I'm 6' tall and just measure my hands and they are bigger than that and I can't throw a spiral with a NFL sized pigskin with any regularity. Thanks for pointing out the hand size thing. I didn't know that.

Yeah forgot about Goff, and that should have been a huge red flag too. 

Bridgewaters are 9.25 and wears the glove...

Remember the last time we took a guy who's production was less than expected, but had huge upside in the second round?  Is it really any more reasonable to think that Hackenberg is suddenly going to be able to throw the ball on target than it was the Stephen Hill was eventually just going to learn to catch the ball?

Jets fans are deluding themselves to an extraordinary level here.  Hackenberg may turn out to be a player.  We can't know this for sure.  But, the argument that it's in any way a positive that our 2nd round QB can't find his way into preseason action, and worse, gets about two reps per practice with live bullets, and worse, shows exactly the same lack of accuracy and overall ability that he did in his college career in those two reps, is outrageous.

No one is saying that Hack should be ready.  But, an NFL QB should be able to practice regularly and somewhat effectively with players who likely won't make the NFL.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Remember the last time we took a guy who's production was less than expected, but had huge upside in the second round?  Is it really any more reasonable to think that Hackenberg is suddenly going to be able to throw the ball on target than it was the Stephen Hill was eventually just going to learn to catch the ball?

Jets fans are deluding themselves to an extraordinary level here.  Hackenberg may turn out to be a player.  We can't know this for sure.  But, the argument that it's in any way a positive that our 2nd round QB can't find his way into preseason action, and worse, gets about two reps per practice with live bullets, and worse, shows exactly the same lack of accuracy and overall ability that he did in his college career in those two reps, is outrageous.

No one is saying that Hack should be ready.  But, an NFL QB should be able to practice regularly and somewhat effectively with players who likely won't make the NFL.

Jets have incompetent people picking players. Just look at their drafts post Mangini. Taking Hack that high was just flat out ridiculous.

Let's see what happens the rest of training camp before we jump to conclusions. This upswing on Petty is just recent. Before two weeks ago it was being discussed that he wouldn't even make the team. Which is still possible but improbable. I liked the points he put on the board against Wash but again it was vs. third stringers. Overall I don't like what I'm seeing in the development of Hack. And Bowles saying he didn't think it was fair to play him the first game because not enough reps. Why not then. He's supposed to be our future Qb he should be getting plenty of attention. Of course if he can't mentally handle the work load (yet) they're not going to say it. And btw I don't see how James Franklin can be blamed for Hack's NCAAF regression. He could have transferred if he didn't like the coaching. And maybe our Nittany LIons fans can give us a true picture of just how really bad the O-line was at Penn State those years. Franklin got the Penn State job because he rebuilt the Vandy program and had success there. Hard to believe he'd go to a new place and ignore the O-line which obviously is the building block of the offense. Remember in this past draft Houston jumped ahead of the Jets in round two but didn't select Hack. Bill O'Brien could have drafted him,. He instead decided to sign Osweiller for insane money. 

On 8/20/2016 at 0:18 AM, rex-n-effect said:

I suspect going into the preseason games the coaching staff really wanted to see Petty so Hack was not slated to see much time. I do wonder how much less field time Hack will see as a result of Petty's surprising rise this offseason. 

No matter one's opinion of Geno or Fitz--I hope we can all agree that it's exciting to see the team have a problem of too many QBs we want to keep on the roster versus arguing which poor performing QB should help the offense limp along to the finish line.

Some scouts are saying Hack was a wasted pick and from reports from practices, he has not looked good. Bad mechanics lead to poor accuracy. Gailey may be able to coach these things out of him, but for now I am just glad to see Petty effectively ending Geno Smith's time in NY.

50 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I've never seen a rationalization like this before him my life.  It's absurd.  And while I didnt get the pick in terms of draft slot...I get the appeal to the kid and do think something made him the best prospect in the land at one point...maybe it's still in there.  

That said, make no mistake about it....If your 2nd round pick cant get practice reps which leads to not getting game time because you want to see what Geno Smith and Bryce Petty have, you ****ed up.  Big time.  

And dont give me...it was the system. Dak Prescott is tearing it up (my choice for a late round flier) coming from the read option that Dan Mullen ran for Tim Tebow.

By all accounts, Hack is just garbage.  Maybe he comes around.  Clearly Mac is banking on that...but this isnt a good look.  Especially when now the talk is that Lynch has a legit shot at starting for the Broncos. 

Ask yourself....have you ever heard of a 2nd round pick not even getting practice reps?  I legit cant say I ever have.  It's a bad look. Unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get the appeal to the kid and do think something made him the best prospect in the land at one point.

You realize that "one point" was in 2012-2013, when he was in High-School and his Freshman year in college, right?

He's played alot of snaps since then, and those snaps are what removed him from the "best prospect" category.

Of course, this is JetsFanLand, where the Mark Sanchez's and Geno Smith's are beloved and long lamented by some and where some fans still think we need to give both "more time" and "better weapons", so it's no surprise to see folks deflect on Hack and reference back years ago, before he had pubes, and talk about his "potential".

The time for potential is college.  The pros is time to show you can live up to that potential.

And maybe Hack will....eventually.  

But it's very very odd that we're two preseasons games in, and our 2nd round pick has yet to take a snap, and seems barely able to complete a pass to an open man in practice.

It doesn't mean he can't improve.....but it's not the best first impression or indicator of a great career to come.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Of course, this is JetsFanLand, where the Mark Sanchez's and Geno Smith's are beloved and long lamented by some and where some fans still think we need to give both "more time" and "better weapons", so it's no surprise to see folks deflect on Hack and reference back years ago, before he had pubes, and talk about his "potential".

Same fan base that can't enjoy the most competent QB play we've had in years because he's not a "long term solution" as if the Jets have had a rich history of scoring those and we're missing out by "wasting" a year with Fitz.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

This post directly neglects the juju he received from La Potencia hitting a grand slam at the time he was drafted. You need to give that juju some time to kick in. Once it does, bingo bango we got ourselves a quarterback.

So it seems that the simple fact that the Jets have not put their #2 pick on the field for a single play over two games when a huge benefit of the pre-season is being able to see players down on the depth chart play in games may have more than one explanation.  But yes we must admit that the fact itself is so weird that it CALLS for an explanation.  Because make no mistake about it there is  cost to Hackenburg's development if he can't get any NFL game experience this year.

The problem is it's not clear what the reason is.

One possible explanation that some have latched onto is that the interest in getting Hack on the field has been overwhelmed by a real Smith v. Petty battle that has more or less unexpectedly cropped up.  If that is the case then you would still expect to see Hack in part of the next two games.  Remember that against Washington the way the first quarter went meant that the orginal plan went out the window, and Smith did not get in there until well past when they probably thought they would on the game clock.

But another explanation is simply that Hachenberg has been so bad in camp that they don't want to put him on the field. 

That explanation might be true, but I would think he would have to be REALLY bad for that to be true.  So bad that it would seem almost inexplicable, how could a second round pick be that bad? 

I can't answer that question, but it does lead to a sort of mixed explanation, and that is that the Jets have been wasting too much time looking at Smith already.  I don't want to pile on the unhappy Smith Fans, many of whom who were talking him up all off season seem rather quiet the last couple of days.  But while it was not impossible for him to show sudden improvement in his fourth year, it was unlikely, and now that he is in real games we see the same problems over and over.  That being the case it was also unlikely he would have been able to serve as a good backup, holding the fort in a competitive season for a half or even a couple of games while the vet starter gets over some temporary ailment. 

In short it was doubtful Smith was going to be able to fill even that limited role, and now the additional evidence we have only supports that doubt.

So what was the benefit of seeing him suck against Washington?  At most it confirmed what the team probably already thought.

Now I know that one school of thought is that maybe Petty would not have been playing this well if he was not in a competition, or a related point that it is precisely him playing well with the pressure on that is inspiring. 

But there is still a cost here.  The Jets seem to be wasting time on Smith, a player who clearly will not be here next year, and who looks increasingly unlikely to be someone the team wants to rely on as the backup Qb in a year with a run at the playoffs.  Meanwhile their second round pick has not taken the field once. 

I suppose the good news is that something has to give.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I've never seen a rationalization like this before him my life.  It's absurd.  And while I didnt get the pick in terms of draft slot...I get the appeal to the kid and do think something made him the best prospect in the land at one point...maybe it's still in there.  

That said, make no mistake about it....If your 2nd round pick cant get practice reps which leads to not getting game time because you want to see what Geno Smith and Bryce Petty have, you ****ed up.  Big time.  

And dont give me...it was the system. Dak Prescott is tearing it up (my choice for a late round flier) coming from the read option that Dan Mullen ran for Tim Tebow.

By all accounts, Hack is just garbage.  Maybe he comes around.  Clearly Mac is banking on that...but this isnt a good look.  Especially when now the talk is that Lynch has a legit shot at starting for the Broncos. 

Ask yourself....have you ever heard of a 2nd round pick not even getting practice reps?  I legit cant say I ever have.  It's a bad look. Unfortunately. 

I disagree when it comes to QBs.  for years we have been saying that we need to not rush them onto the field. now that we are attempting to develop them, we are fvckin up??? these days, it dont think even liberal moms choose @JiF

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I disagree when it comes to QBs.  for years we have been saying that we need to not rush them onto the field. now that we are attempting to develop them, we are fvckin up??? these days, it dont think even liberal moms choose @JiF

I'm not saying they're ******* up in regards to how they're bringing him along.  It sounds like they're doing the right thing from the perspective.  Where they ****ed up was spending a 2nd round pick on him.  It unprecedented to draft a player in the 2nd round that cant even get practice reps.  Throw in the Lynch situation and our 1st rounder isnt even penciled in as a starter, I'd say they ****ed up.  

Time will tell. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not saying they're ******* up in regards to how they're bringing him along.  It sounds like they're doing the right thing from the perspective.  Where they ****ed up was spending a 2nd round pick on him.  It unprecedented to draft a player in the 2nd round that cant even get practice reps.  Throw in the Lynch situation and our 1st rounder isnt even penciled in as a starter, I'd say they ****ed up.  

Time will tell. 

They got the QB they wanted imo, if they wanted lynch they should have known he wouldnt be there in rd 2.

35 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

No one wants to rush him onto the regular season NFL field.  But, yes, he should be on the practice field as much as possible.  The adage of giving him time holding the clipboard doesn't mean that that is ALL he should do.  He should practice too... A lot.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  Hate where we drafted him, but do get having him on the roster.

And, no, I have never heard of a 2nd round pick, who's healthy, unable to get reps.

13 hours ago, slats said:

Quite the mad rush to get credit for being right about Hackenberg sucking. 

Im in minority here but I like the Hack pick 

Kid is only 21 and needs some mechanical fixes which Chan says will take 1000 reps - he has plenty of time.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

No one wants to rush him onto the regular season NFL field.  But, yes, he should be on the practice field as much as possible.  The adage of giving him time holding the clipboard doesn't mean that that is ALL he should do.  He should practice too.

i have no clue on how to develop a QB, I'll leave that to the CS and the picks to the GM.  Me, I'm going to sit back and enjoy my Kool Ade.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

They got the QB they wanted imo, if they wanted lynch they should have known he wouldnt be there in rd 2.

Again, I totally understand the Hack appeal.  I do.  And you're right, they got their QB and I'm fine with how they're handling him.  

My problem is, this team isnt good enough to be stashing 2nd round picks (or 1st rounders for that matter).  And I think they could have landed him much later in the draft.  And it's definitely concerning that he cant even get practice reps.  He's not developing by not throwing. 

44 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Agreed.  Hate where we drafted him, but do get having him on the roster.

And, no, I have never heard of a 2nd round pick, who's healthy, unable to get reps.

Exactly.  While its a terrible sign he cant even gets practice reps, by no means and I'm writing the book on the kid.  I get the why behind him.  I didnt get the draft positoin and it makes it worst seeing guys taken in late rounds working on the field and our guy taken in the 2nd, doesnt even get practice reps. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Again, I totally understand the Hack appeal.  I do.  And you're right, they got their QB and I'm fine with how they're handling him.  

My problem is, this team isnt good enough to be stashing 2nd round picks (or 1st rounders for that matter).  And I think they could have landed him much later in the draft.  And it's definitely concerning that he cant even get practice reps.  He's not developing by not throwing. 

Exactly.  While its a terrible sign he cant even gets practice reps, by no means and I'm writing the book on the kid.  I get the why behind him.  I didnt get the draft positoin and it makes it worst seeing guys taken in late rounds working on the field and our guy taken in the 2nd, doesnt even get practice reps. 

I dont think it is a question of being "good enough".  I think it is a question of knowing what you want and at the same time knowing what you have.  You seem to be in a rush as to knowing what we have in Hack.  I dont think we will know for a year, regardless.  How the CS spends that year, I leave that to them.

As I said earlier, the QB position is different than the other positions on the roster, as a Jets fan, i hope you can agree with that statement.    

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

I dont think it is a question of being "good enough".  I think it is a question of knowing what you want and at the same time knowing what you have.  You seem to be in a rush as to knowing what we have in Hack.  I dont think we will know for a year, regardless.  How the CS spends that year, I leave that to them.

As I said earlier, the QB position is different than the other positions on the roster, as a Jets fan, i hope you can agree with that statement.    

If he was good enough, he'd be playing.  100%,.  There is zero doubt about that fact. 

The QB is a different positoin but every single QB drafted in this draft, has played in the preseason.  Every single one of them.  And this dude was taken in the 2nd round and hasnt seen the field.  It's not good.  No matter what rationalization you've come to, it's not a good look for Hack that he cant even get practice reps while the rest of this QB class is taking live bullets in the preseason. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

If he was good enough, he'd be playing.  100%,.  There is zero doubt about that fact. 

The QB is a different positoin but every single QB drafted in this draft, has played in the preseason.  Every single one of them.  And this dude was taken in the 2nd round and hasnt seen the field.  It's not good.  No matter what rationalization you've come to, it's not a good look for Hack that he cant even get practice reps while the rest of this QB class is taking live bullets in the preseason. 

It's exhibition season, it means literally nothing at all, i swear all you 14-17 year olds, that know nothing about football.....sheeshhhhh.

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

I give exactly 2 flying sh!ts how other teams play their QBs.  Next preseason, we will not look back at week 2 of this years preseason and say, damn... should have given Hack a series.  Just like Petty last year, Hack wont see the field this year.  If he balled out this TC yeah, things might be different as far as preseason reps but that is not the case.  Build a bridge and get over it, I cant help yah with that, I'm an accountant...

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It's exhibition season, it means literally nothing at all, i swear all you 14-17 year olds, that know nothing about football.....sheeshhhhh.

Oh, it means something.  It means that players drafted in the 5th round and beyond are more pro-ready than our mid-2nd round QB.  It also means he's getting limited reps in camp. Which could slow down his development.  

But maybe you should read my posts?  I've said numerous times I understand the pick of the player and appreciate how they're handling him instead of rushing him in.  Just a shame we spent a 2nd round pick on a player that provides zero value to the team in the immediate.  We just have to hope he's worth it in the long run.

32 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I give exactly 2 flying sh!ts how other teams play their QBs.  Next preseason, we will not look back at week 2 of this years preseason and say, damn... should have given Hack a series.  Just like Petty last year, Hack wont see the field this year.  If he balled out this TC yeah, things might be different as far as preseason reps but that is not the case.  Build a bridge and get over it, I cant help yah with that, I'm an accountant...

I hope you're right.  

Petty did see the field in preseason and got a ton of snaps in practice.  That's the difference.

Not really sure what we're arguing about anymore.  It's a shame we didnt get a more pro-ready QB in the 2nd round.  But yeah, we'll wait and see because we can and hopefully it works out.  I've already stated 100 times but for some reason its falling on deaf ears...I totally understand the Hack pick and like how we're handling him.  lol

Oh, it means something.  It means that players drafted in the 5th round and beyond are more pro-ready than our mid-2nd round QB.  It also means he's getting limited reps in camp. Which could slow down his development.  

But maybe you should read my posts?  I've said numerous times I understand the pick of the player and appreciate how they're handling him instead of rushing him in.  Just a shame we spent a 2nd round pick on a player that provides zero value to the team in the immediate.  We just have to hope he's worth it in the long run.

Could also mean jets are seeing if they can differentiate Geno and petty enough to make a choice, or getting petty ready for possible backup duty while showcasing Geno for a late round pick trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I hope you're right.  

Petty did see the field in preseason and got a ton of snaps in practice.  That's the difference.

Not really sure what we're arguing about anymore.  It's a shame we didnt get a more pro-ready QB in the 2nd round.  But yeah, we'll wait and see because we can and hopefully it works out.  I've already stated 100 times but for some reason its falling on deaf ears...I totally understand the Hack pick and like how we're handling him.  lol

All good, here is to whatever they are working on with him behind closed doors leading to our franchise QB.

Archived