Why we haven't seen Hack IMO

Snell41

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Could also mean jets are seeing if they can differentiate Geno and petty enough to make a choice, or getting petty ready for possible backup duty while showcasing Geno for a late round pick trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair but lets not act like the ideal scenario is that our 2nd round pick is better than both. 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair but lets not act like the ideal scenario is that our 2nd round pick is better than both. 

Pretty clear that he is woefully unready and will embarrass himself and the FO for selecting him if they send him out there.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Could also mean jets are seeing if they can differentiate Geno and petty enough to make a choice, or getting petty ready for possible backup duty while showcasing Geno for a late round pick trade.

This is about as close to my line of thinking except I do not think there is even a remote chance we get anything for Geno.  

This is about as close to my line of thinking except I do not think there is even a remote chance we get anything for Geno.  

You can get a 7th all day and twice on Sunday but why sell your insurance policy for that? He is probably a jet this year unless Macc can get a 5th and I agree with you that's unlikely but who knows if Drew brees blows out a knee next week...

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes, a very real possibility.  But I think we all should agree while that might explain to some extent why we have not seen Hackenburg yet, that scenario should not mean that he will not play in the next two games as well. 

At this point, the more I think about it, what good does it do to keep playing Smith in these pre-season games?  What more do we need to see from Petty to see he already has more likely upside than Smith?

I saw some speculation that the CS might actually have played Petty with the first team in the Washington game.  That even if true may have gone out the window when the D couldn't turn the ball over to the O quickly enough.

But in the next game, what would be the point of playing Smith before Petty?  If that happens I think that would be a mistake.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

You can get a 7th all day and twice on Sunday but why sell your insurance policy for that? He is probably a jet this year unless Macc can get a 5th and I agree with you that's unlikely but who knows if Drew brees blows out a knee next week...

last offseason, we traded a 5th and got a 7th back for fitz.  you think that at the end of TC we can get a 7th for someone that is stepping into a new offense?  I'd be stunned.

Yes, a very real possibility.  But I think we all should agree while that might explain to some extent why we have not seen Hackenburg yet, that scenario should not mean that he will not play in the next two games as well. 

At this point, the more I think about it, what good does it do to keep playing Smith in these pre-season games?  What more do we need to see from Petty to see he already has more likely upside than Smith?

I saw some speculation that the CS might actually have played Petty with the first team in the Washington game.  That even if true may have gone out the window when the D couldn't turn the ball over to the O quickly enough.

But in the next game, what would be the point of playing Smith before Petty?  If that happens I think that would be a mistake.

Is a good question. I don't know

2 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I think the reason is because Petty lit it up against 3rd stringers.  Id like to see him play against(and with) better talent but first we have to get our #1 offense in order.  Cincy will get here before you know it.

No one is going to give us anything for Geno unless some team has a few big injuries.  The jets are putting themselves into a bit of a pickle though with Hackenburg to be honest.  It is tough to retain a player on a roster if you know he is going to do nothing at all, all year.

last offseason, we traded a 5th and got a 7th back for fitz.  you think that at the end of TC we can get a 7th for someone that is stepping into a new offense?  I'd be stunned.

I could see a team with a "QB whisperer" HC taking him on as a vanity reclamation project for a 7th. As stinky as Geno has been he will be a backup for a long time (if his ego allows) which is more than can be said for 90+% of 7th rounders

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh, it means something.  It means that players drafted in the 5th round and beyond are more pro-ready than our mid-2nd round QB.  It also means he's getting limited reps in camp. Which could slow down his development.  

But maybe you should read my posts?  I've said numerous times I understand the pick of the player and appreciate how they're handling him instead of rushing him in.  Just a shame we spent a 2nd round pick on a player that provides zero value to the team in the immediate.  We just have to hope he's worth it in the long run.

That's actually not what it means.  The unique team situation is the reason Hack hasn't gotten in a game yet.  The team is trying to figure out whether Petty or Geno should be the backup, so both of those guys need to get playing time in games.  

If Hack disappears the entire exhibition game season esp game 4 which is solely for 3rd and 4th stringers then you can assume they have no confidence in him at all. Every single team that drafted a Qb is going to use them during pre-season. Same goes for UFAs. A guy like Boykin might end up being Seattle's backup. I'm pretty sure Hack will play in game 4 and he should be able to compete against those guys. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Thank you for that encouraging bit of information. 

The only thing I can see justifying Hack not playing right now is the Jets are doing something they have never done. Give a guy that has the mental aspects and all of the physical attributes to be a great qb a substantial amount of  time to develop.

Mac and TB must feel very confident in their jobs by taking a crock pot cooking address to developing Hack. He is obviously not in any of our plans for 2016, and possibly not even in 2017. It is one hell of a risk but I am willing to ride along and see what happens. We have tried everything else in our quest for a franchise QB, why not try this.

27 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

Thank you for that encouraging bit of information. 

The only thing I can see justifying Hack not playing right now is the Jets are doing something they have never done. Give a guy that has the mental aspects and all of the physical attributes to be a great qb a substantial amount of  time to develop.

Mac and TB must feel very confident in their jobs by taking a crock pot cooking address to developing Hack. He is obviously not in any of our plans for 2016, and possibly not even in 2017. It is one hell of a risk but I am willing to ride along and see what happens. We have tried everything else in our quest for a franchise QB, why not try this.

There will still have to be a day when he gets on the field and plays in a real game, regular season. And like all Qbs that's when the real learning curve begins. I remember years ago hearing the number as 12 starts before things start slowing down and a Qb knows what they are doing. And that's a conservative estimate. So I don't see a two year prep period where they insulate this player. And he was never even considered a top notch Qb prospect, anyways. 

5 hours ago, JiF said:

I've never seen a rationalization like this before him my life.  It's absurd.  And while I didnt get the pick in terms of draft slot...I get the appeal to the kid and do think something made him the best prospect in the land at one point...maybe it's still in there.  

That said, make no mistake about it....If your 2nd round pick cant get practice reps which leads to not getting game time because you want to see what Geno Smith and Bryce Petty have, you ****ed up.  Big time.  

And dont give me...it was the system. Dak Prescott is tearing it up (my choice for a late round flier) coming from the read option that Dan Mullen ran for Tim Tebow.

By all accounts, Hack is just garbage.  Maybe he comes around.  Clearly Mac is banking on that...but this isnt a good look.  Especially when now the talk is that Lynch has a legit shot at starting for the Broncos. 

Ask yourself....have you ever heard of a 2nd round pick not even getting practice reps?  I legit cant say I ever have.  It's a bad look. Unfortunately. 

I never heard of a 2nd rounder not getting any field time. Its not good optics. First this guy had major problems at the collegiate level. Its a bad pick for Macc an the Jets becaause we needed help at other positions.

I have no problem with Hack not seeing the field. The team has a big decision to make on the futures of Geno and Petty, and there is no chance Hack is going to play at all this year.  If Fitz went down Macc would hit the streets to find veteran help (Matt Flynn?)  to go with whoever our back up QB is before elevating Hack to that role. I would be more pissed at Macc and Bowles if they forced Hack onto the field for "optics" and kept 4 QB's vs. giving Petty and Geno all the reps they need to decide whether one is expendable to free up a roster spot for a young position player with upside...

25 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I have no problem with Hack not seeing the field. The team has a big decision to make on the futures of Geno and Petty, and there is no chance Hack is going to play at all this year.  If Fitz went down Macc would hit the streets to find veteran help (Matt Flynn?)  to go with whoever our back up QB is before elevating Hack to that role. I would be more pissed at Macc and Bowles if they forced Hack onto the field for "optics" and kept 4 QB's vs. giving Petty and Geno all the reps they need to decide whether one is expendable to free up a roster spot for a young position player with upside...

Let's reframe this for a second.  So, it is more important to settle your second string QB than it is to get reps for the 2nd round project pick you drafted to be the future of the franchise?

9 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Let's reframe this for a second.  So, it is more important to settle your second string QB than it is to get reps for the 2nd round project pick you drafted to be the future of the franchise?

I'll bite. In this instance maybe. It's more important to determine if you need to carry four quarterbacks than it is getting Hackenberg garbage time reps in a preseason game. The Jets are an old and top-heavy team that is in desperate need of some young, cheap talent; because the bottom is going to fall out from under this franchise in 2017 and 2018 quickly if it doesn't. Therefore the Jets need roster space because you need to be able to play the odds. The franchise and fanbase had zero expectations for Hackenberg to begin with, so when the possibility of doing away with Geno presented itself, the upside of giving those two those minutes (the roster spot), presented itself. That's more important than getting Hackenberg 2 quarters (if that) worth of work.

Certainly a chance that he just sucks, but I'd rather we keep all the receivers that we have because they all look like they have something going on in some way. And holy balls are we in desperate need of a cheap gem at CB too. You need roster space for that, and using that space on 4 QBs is just so monumentally wasteful to that specific thing.

I hope you're right.  

Petty did see the field in preseason and got a ton of snaps in practice.  That's the difference.

Not really sure what we're arguing about anymore.  It's a shame we didnt get a more pro-ready QB in the 2nd round.  But yeah, we'll wait and see because we can and hopefully it works out.  I've already stated 100 times but for some reason its falling on deaf ears...I totally understand the Hack pick and like how we're handling him.  lol

I think the best part of being a Jets fan is I'm always "waiting to see what happens" in every aspect of this team.

Crazy stuff

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

One of the sports pages stated the Jets are finding out he "can't play" so they don't want to embarrass themselves or Hack...

6 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

One of the sports pages stated the Jets are finding out he "can't play" so they don't want to embarrass themselves or Hack...

Well supposedly he threw a Td pass to Peake in camp today. One thing about Hack. I don't think he ever played in a college all-star game like the Blue Gray at least I didn't see any mention of it. 

2 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

That's actually not what it means.  The unique team situation is the reason Hack hasn't gotten in a game yet.  The team is trying to figure out whether Petty or Geno should be the backup, so both of those guys need to get playing time in games.  

again it shouldn't be necessary to understand more about Smith and his situation.  What is he likely to do in the next pre-season game that will provide a basis for having confidence in him to be a solid backup for Fitz?

Well supposedly he threw a Td pass to Peake in camp today. One thing about Hack. I don't think he ever played in a college all-star game like the Blue Gray at least I didn't see any mention of it. 

Well that's good. I'm indifferent to the Hack pick but I don't get the "he was undraftable" yet the Jets pick him in the 2nd...

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

again it shouldn't be necessary to understand more about Smith and his situation.  What is he likely to do in the next pre-season game that will provide a basis for having confidence in him to be a solid backup for Fitz?

If you are saying to give Petty the reps in practice and preseason and see if he can be a solid back up, I agree.  As things stand right now, I think that if Fitz were to miss any substantial time this year Geno would fall short of winning football games this year.  Who knows with Petty.

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

If you are saying to give Petty the reps in practice and preseason and see if he can be a solid back up, I agree.  As things stand right now, I think that if Fitz were to miss any substantial time this year Geno would fall short of winning football games this year.  Who knows with Petty.

DING DING DING we have a winner!

As it stands now, forget about the notion of just a few weeks ago of seeing if Smith can improve.  Not happening.  Petty shows he just might have the upside, while Smith has shown he can't be depended on to be the backup and contribute if needed.  Meanwhile there's downside to having 4 Qb's, and Macc would have to have his head examined to risk losing Petty in a practice squad move.  And Hack has not seen the field during a real game.

At some point and I think it is now the Jets need to move on from the Smith issue.

29 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'll bite. In this instance maybe. It's more important to determine if you need to carry four quarterbacks than it is getting Hackenberg garbage time reps in a preseason game. The Jets are an old and top-heavy team that is in desperate need of some young, cheap talent; because the bottom is going to fall out from under this franchise in 2017 and 2018 quickly if it doesn't. Therefore the Jets need roster space because you need to be able to play the odds. The franchise and fanbase had zero expectations for Hackenberg to begin with, so when the possibility of doing away with Geno presented itself, the upside of giving those two those minutes (the roster spot), presented itself. That's more important than getting Hackenberg 2 quarters (if that) worth of work.

Certainly a chance that he just sucks, but I'd rather we keep all the receivers that we have because they all look like they have something going on in some way. And holy balls are we in desperate need of a cheap gem at CB too. You need roster space for that, and using that space on 4 QBs is just so monumentally wasteful to that specific thing.

Reasonable and logical.

44 minutes ago, gEYno said:

#cherrypicked

Im not debating that he's struggled, but sitting around waiting for something bad to happen and bumping the thread by ignoring the good things that were said before the INTs is the definition of cherry picking. Sounds like he had a rookie day. Mixed bag.  Don't see the big f'n deal.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Don't see the big f'n deal. 

Should be obvious.

He was a 2nd round pick.

We haven't seen him play a down yet.

Honestly, I think that's all most want to see....our 2nd round pick play a series or two in a Preseason Game.

No one expects an obvious project like Hack to come in a dazzle.

But expecting to see him flop around vs. 4th stringers in the 4th of a Preseason Game is pretty low on the expectations chart.

The fact we haven't is whats getting under most folks craw.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Should be obvious.

He was a 2nd round pick.

We haven't seen him play a down yet.

Honestly, I think that's all most want to see....our 2nd round pick play a series or two in a Preseason Game.

No one expects an obvious project like Hack to come in a dazzle.

But expecting to see him flop around vs. 4th stringers in the 4th of a Preseason Game is pretty low on the expectations chart.

The fact we haven't is whats getting under most folks craw.

I totally understand that.  I'm not upset with people wanting to see him play.  I reaaaaaally want to see him play myself.  I just don't understand some of the fans who almost come off as excited to see him fail just so they can stroke themselves to the tune of "Ha! I was right!".  Was it really necessary to pick the one bad tweet at the time to post in this thread and casually glance over the two, supposedly, pretty TDs thrown?  If all the updates from today were posted to keep everyone updated on the progress of Hack, good or bad, then I wouldn't have brought up "cherry picking".  It's clear though that keeping everyone informed of today's reps wasn't the goal with that post.

This whole thread was supposed to be about the unique situation we've seen develop over the first two pre-season games being the reason why we haven't seen Hack yet.  Honestly, I believe that theory.  The team is in a weird spot right now because, ideally, we'd just cut Geno, move on, and use the roster spot on someone more important to the team. That being said, they clearly want to give their young guys more reps and the only way that will be solved quickly is if we figure out the backup spot first. 

Look, I get its frustrating, but we just have to be patient.  This offseason, no one thought Petty was going to be more than a backup his entire career and now people are ready to anoint him the savior. It's two irrational extremes.  All we need is just a little patience.

You know, I finally got to watch the entire game, and I didn't think Geno Smith Play as badly as everyone around here says he did or that Bryce Petty played as great as has been stated .

Geno did not play well, but he wasn't horrible.

Petty played well, but he was special.

After watching the game, I came away thinking that Byrce Petty is exactly where Geno Smith was in his second year and still behind him as far as both of their development is concern. Petty is improving and looks relax . Geno is frustrated and pressing and it shows .

what ?!?!?!

Archived