Next Monday: 6-3 Houston vs 7-2 Oakland In Mexico CIty

TuscanyTile2

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:That should be a good one to watch.  Not sure the NFL has ever played in Mexico on a Monday night.

The game will be played at Estadio Azteca is 7,200 feet up .( high altitude) The altitude is 2000 feet higher than at Mile High Stadium.     Both teams better be prepared to sub a lot of players, and have a lot of oxygen handy.   

This is pure greed by the NFL as neither team has enough time to get acclimated to the conditions.  What you might see Monday night is a kicker break the record for the longest kick in NFL history.

32 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Hopefully it's a friendlier environment than when the soccer teams play down there, sweet jeebus. 

Actually there is a very big Mexican Raider fan following down there.    I expect it to be very loud  majority pro Raider crowd.    I hope there is security plan in place , as this situation could get ugly very fast.( potential there- especially if you aren't a Raider fan) 

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

The game will be played at Estadio Azteca is 7,200 feet up .( high altitude) The altitude is 2000 feet higher than at Mile High Stadium.     Both teams better be prepared to sub a lot of players, and have a lot of oxygen handy.   

This is pure greed by the NFL as neither team has enough time to get acclimated to the conditions.  What you might see Monday night is a kicker break the record for the longest kick in NFL history.

It favors the offense.

12 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Punting should be fun too. (In as much as punting can ever be "fun").

Could make field position hard to come by.

13 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

What's greedy about it? They're just playing in a different city, so what? And if neither team has had time to acclimate, neither has the advantage and it's a fair fight. What's the problem 

One of the teams has to give up a home game to go to a foreign city, so it's a little unfair to them.  However, it's in the long-term interest of the NFL to promote their game around the world, which is more important.  The owners of previous decades thought long-term benefit over immediate reward, and that's why today's players get the high salaries and big contracts that they do.

4 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

One of the teams has to give up a home game to go to a foreign city, so it's a little unfair to them.  However, it's in the long-term interest of the NFL to promote their game around the world, which is more important.  The owners of previous decades thought long-term benefit over immediate reward, and that's why today's players get the high salaries and big contracts that they do.

Not really as the Raiders will probably have a way bigger home crowd for the game in Mexico.  This game might be played in Mexico , but there is no doubt who the fans will be rooting for. ( this is clearly a Raider home game).    It might be the black hole on steroids.( that's how electric I expect the atmosphere to be Monday night.

I expect the Raiders to go old school against the Texans.   Six Offenselineman and pound the Texans all day with the running game.

I wouldnt go to Mexico if you paid me.  Tourists who go on vacation there  and say oh the property is protected by its own security and a fence.  The Mexican drug cartel will destroy any resort security and pilferage and rape everyone and no one will stop them.  No Mexico for me and my family, 

21 hours ago, August said:

Better than paying Brock all that money for below average at best play. Hoyer could've given them what Brock has given them this year for a fraction of the cost. 

They're 6-3 winning their division making the playoffs.  Hoyer is on a hospital gurney.  Last time he was seen in a Texans uniform he played the worst game any NFL QB had ever played in the history of football.

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I wouldnt go to Mexico if you paid me.  Tourists who go on vacation there  and say oh the property is protected by its own security and a fence.  The Mexican drug cartel will destroy any resort security and pilferage and rape everyone and no one will stop them.  No Mexico for me and my family, 

Will President Trump allow the Raiders back in the US after the game?

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

MODs?

9 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

They're 6-3 winning their division making the playoffs.  Hoyer is on a hospital gurney.  Last time he was seen in a Texans uniform he played the worst game any NFL QB had ever played in the history of football.

Unless you're saying he'd sustain the same injury had they kept him?

Rumor is the NFL will reinstate Aldon Smith .( should hear by Friday). If the Raiders get back Aldon Smith and if Mario Edwards Jr ( second best Dlineman behind K Mack) can come back 100 % healthy( hip injury are dicey) that will go a long way to improving their defense.    The Raiders could give any team in the Afc a run for a championship.

HOUSTON (AP) — Houston Texans players are being advised by the team not to leave the hotel and not to order room service during their trip to Mexico City for Monday night's game against the Oakland Raiders.

The game is part of the NFL's international series and the first NFL game in Mexico City since 2005.

The Associated Press was given a look at a memo distributed to the team on Wednesday that included a page of information concerning the trip to Mexico, including those two rules.

A section of the memo under the heading "safety" had a bullet point with: "DO NOT leave the hotel." It was followed by a line advising players to leave all "expensive jewelry at home," not to bring large sums of money and not to use ATMs.

A second section titled "health and performance" has basic tips like drinking only bottled water and avoiding the consumption of ice. It also warned: "Eat all meals in the meal room. DO NOT order room service" and "DO NOT eat outside of the team meal room."

The precautions the Texans have provided players are not uncommon for any foreigners traveling to Mexico. Executives visiting the city for business are often given the same warnings from their companies to avoid leaving their hotels without security.

The rule about room service could be related to a memo the NFL sent to its players earlier this year warning that some meat produced in China and Mexico may be contaminated with clenbuterol, a banned steroid. That memo, sent by the league office, said that consuming large quantities of meat while visiting those countries may result in a positive test for clenbuterol. The memo told the players to "please take caution if you decide to consume meat, and understand that you do so at your own risk."

Clenbuterol has been banned in Mexico as a growth enhancer for cattle but is suspected to still be in use there.

The Raiders did not receive such a memo, but several players said they would not eat room service while in Mexico.

"I always bring my own food anyway," Oakland defensive tackle Dan Williams said. "I'm on a strict diet so I have to watch what I eat. No room service for me. I can't afford to sneak and cheat."

Archived