Have any of you guys ever questioned why you still remain loyal to the Jets?

hokiejetfan92

First of all I totally disagree that fans of football can only be a fan of one team.  For a long time I was a fan of both the Jets and Raiders, and put aside the Raider thing when Al Davis hired Callahan, to me showing the ownership there had finally gone senile.  It was just too much.  But they obviously are back on track now, despite last night's loss.  Always liked Del Rio, the FO is making great moves, and Carr is already a great player.  Great story this year, too, in a league that has not that many (Dallas is one, I suppose the Chiefs are another).

Meanwhile I am increasingly convinced this team is not going to get out from under the black cloud as long as Johnson owns the team.  And it's not merely that he is an incompetent owner.  I dislike him for my own reasons.  And then there's the fact this season has become virtually unwatchable as far as the Jets are concerned.  I have next to no interest in the four games left.  I don't think Petty has it, for one.

I am not saying I have given up on the Jets.  Just that my excitement level is near flat lining.  But yeah, I do get where the OP is coming from.

22 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Do any of you guys question Woody's ability as an owner to hire effective management and allow them to implement the culture they want? Or do you think that each GM and HC we hired was a terrible choice and they had no business being in the NFL? (Tanny is doing well with Dolphins, Rex is doing average in Buffalo, Marty Mornhingweg is back to being an OC) Also, How do you feel about the jets ability to build a championship team or do you guys not really care and are just in it for the memories either way?

Tanny has been kept away from MOST personnel decisions which is a wise move by Miami. Rex is a .500 coach and always will be. Woody Johnson wants desperately to have a winner, but is clueless as to how to do it. He needs to step back and let the guys he hired do their jobs as they see it. I have many times over my 48 years of Jets football questioned why I stay with them and the answer is the Jets are the ONLY team I care about. I can watch football all day long or walk away from it, but when the Jets are on, I am there baby and always will be.

23 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Please don't start this with a "we don't need you" or "if you're thinking of leaving get out!!" kind of thread because that is not what this is about.

Born in '92, my first Jets memory was watching the Broncos beat the Jets in 98 AFC championship game. I saw it on tv and barely understood it, but I remember the Jets losing the lead and my dad being all upset. The first year I really started to understand football was Penny boys breakout year and I went to the Colts at Jets playoff game when we smoked them in 2003 and I became a diehard ever since.

I'll never forget when Doug Brien missed those two field goals against the Steelers with Penny and Herm or Mangini's first win on the road against the pats when he became "Mangenius." Or the first two years of Rex Ryan. Throughout all jokes people made about the jets, I always said, it will feel that much better when we finally do win a superbowl. 

Fast forward to this year and I'm going to be 25 soon. We all have seen:

• The butt fumble
  • Tebow debacle
  • Geno Smith's ridiculous behind the back fumble
  • Geno's game when he threw the ball to Percy Harvin 6 straight times against the Bills and got 3 of them intercepted.
  • Geno getting punched in the face by a teammate
  • John Idzik and Rex Ryan (Not Ryan's fault but their marriage was a complete joke)
  • This entire season.

I love the Jets, and as a kid I also dreamed they would one day win a superbowl. I also understand that it is a super competitive business and it is extremely hard to achieve and sustain success in this league, but what have the Jets done to show you they are a legitimate and competent organization? I really do not think it is directly Macc or Bowles problem because we have seen enough turnover to know that firing a HC and GM do not fix all your problems.

I have noticed every other year the Jets sort of switch from an up year to a down year as the team benefits from an easy schedule or struggles from a difficult one, and us fans with the NY media either think the team is terrible or about to go on a deep playoff run when the team is essentially the same as the year prior.

Do any of you guys question Woody's ability as an owner to hire effective management and allow them to implement the culture they want? Or do you think that each GM and HC we hired was a terrible choice and they had no business being in the NFL? (Tanny is doing well with Dolphins, Rex is doing average in Buffalo, Marty Mornhingweg is back to being an OC) Also, How do you feel about the jets ability to build a championship team or do you guys not really care and are just in it for the memories either way?

Sincerely,

A lost Jets fan

You haven't suffered enough to complain ; WAIT IN LINE !!!!!!!!!!!

22 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Tried to kind of force or push my son to be a Jet fan, he always bounced around to who ever the best teams were.

He's 9 now and kind of settled on the Eagles and I'm glad, no need for both of us to be miserable with their teams for their whole lives. 

But no I could never switch teams now.

The Eagles?  Oh my, the Eagles have won less Super Bowls then the Jets have. :)

You are 24 and you are starting this thread?  Half this board has Jets gear older than you.  :)

No, I have never questioned my loyalty to this horrific franchise.  Mud Bowl, 99 against the Browns, Fake Spike, FGs in Pitt, blowing the lead in Denver, Butt Fumble and everything in between...  none of them made me question my loyalty.  Not even this disaster of a season would make me question my loyalty to this franchise. 

I just know that one day we will get lucky in the draft and all the pieces will fall into place and I will get to witness a Jets SB championship.  I also know that the masses that suffered through ineptitude will get to experience the joy of the ultimate underdog finally winning it all.  Until then we are all Charlie Brown trying to kick that damn football even though we know Lucy is going to pull it away at the last second. 

7 minutes ago, Bergen Jet said:

You are 24 and you are starting this thread?  Half this board has Jets gear older than you.  :)

No, I have never questioned my loyalty to this horrific franchise.  Mud Bowl, 99 against the Browns, Fake Spike, FGs in Pitt, blowing the lead in Denver, Butt Fumble and everything in between...  none of them made me question my loyalty.  Not even this disaster of a season would make me question my loyalty to this franchise. 

I just know that one day we will get lucky in the draft and all the pieces will fall into place and I will get to witness a Jets SB championship.  I also know that the masses that suffered through ineptitude will get to experience the joy of the ultimate underdog finally winning it all.  Until then we are all Charlie Brown trying to kick that damn football even though we know Lucy is going to pull it away at the last second. 

Haha yeah and I am still a diehard jets fan forever. Just this year I finally noticed a change in my feelings towards the jets. I always thought it was a give in that they would eventually win one, but this year I actually finally started to wonder what I would do if I was 50 and the jets still hadn't won one yet, all the time I spent waiting.

I would never be able to change teams either (kind of ruins the point of having teams), but I think I could start caring about the Jets and NFL much less than I do currently. I started on jetsinsider at some point in 6th grade and have been using JI/JN forums and espnny to read jets articles pretty much every day. Idk maybe I was thinking about reading books, or getting into woodworking or some old guy skill instead

On 12/8/2016 at 11:17 AM, hokiejetfan92 said:

Please don't start this with a "we don't need you" or "if you're thinking of leaving get out!!" kind of thread because that is not what this is about.

Born in '92, my first Jets memory was watching the Broncos beat the Jets in 98 AFC championship game. I saw it on tv and barely understood it, but I remember the Jets losing the lead and my dad being all upset. The first year I really started to understand football was Penny boys breakout year and I went to the Colts at Jets playoff game when we smoked them in 2003 and I became a diehard ever since.

I'll never forget when Doug Brien missed those two field goals against the Steelers with Penny and Herm or Mangini's first win on the road against the pats when he became "Mangenius." Or the first two years of Rex Ryan. Throughout all jokes people made about the jets, I always said, it will feel that much better when we finally do win a superbowl. 

Fast forward to this year and I'm going to be 25 soon. We all have seen:

• The butt fumble
  • Tebow debacle
  • Geno Smith's ridiculous behind the back fumble
  • Geno's game when he threw the ball to Percy Harvin 6 straight times against the Bills and got 3 of them intercepted.
  • Geno getting punched in the face by a teammate
  • John Idzik and Rex Ryan (Not Ryan's fault but their marriage was a complete joke)
  • This entire season.

I love the Jets, and as a kid I also dreamed they would one day win a superbowl. I also understand that it is a super competitive business and it is extremely hard to achieve and sustain success in this league, but what have the Jets done to show you they are a legitimate and competent organization? I really do not think it is directly Macc or Bowles problem because we have seen enough turnover to know that firing a HC and GM do not fix all your problems.

I have noticed every other year the Jets sort of switch from an up year to a down year as the team benefits from an easy schedule or struggles from a difficult one, and us fans with the NY media either think the team is terrible or about to go on a deep playoff run when the team is essentially the same as the year prior.

Sincerely,

A lost Jets fan

I'd like to add the following to the above list for consideration:

The Santonio Holmes toss-fumble

Victor Cruz 99 Yards

Tebow's 95 yard drive against the Jets in 2011

1 hour ago, Gen X Jet said:

I'd like to add the following to the above list for consideration:

The Santonio Holmes toss-fumble

Victor Cruz 99 Yards

Tebow's 95 yard drive against the Jets in 2011

Don't forget the fake spike, that was the all time worst!

3 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Haha yeah and I am still a diehard jets fan forever. Just this year I finally noticed a change in my feelings towards the jets. I always thought it was a give in that they would eventually win one, but this year I actually finally started to wonder what I would do if I was 50 and the jets still hadn't won one yet, all the time I spent waiting.

I would never be able to change teams either (kind of ruins the point of having teams), but I think I could start caring about the Jets and NFL much less than I do currently. I started on jetsinsider at some point in 6th grade and have been using JI/JN forums and espnny to read jets articles pretty much every day. Idk maybe I was thinking about reading books, or getting into woodworking or some old guy skill instead

Get out while you're still young. This is good advice, I promise you.

My Dad brought me up a Yankee fan in the mid 60's by taking me to Bat Day every year...he didn't care for football much then, but was a semi-Giants fan if anything. At age 10, I saw the NYJ and Joe win the SB, and despite my Dad (who is also now a Jets fan BTW) became totally addicted to the Jets. Dad took me to MSG to see the Rangers too...such a thrill to go to MSG as a kid. Used to watch all the Knick games and keep score at home too lol.

So I'm a hybrid....Yankees, Rangers, Knicks and NY JETS, all because of 1969...and I don't question any of them.

I saw 1994 and the Rangers...it can and will happen for the Jets too. I have hope!

On 12/8/2016 at 0:54 PM, nyjunc said:

the folks that have the biggest complaints are the ones born in the late 60s/early 70s that just missed SB III and had to endure the 70s, 90s and today.

This times infinity!! 47 years is way too long between super bowl appearances!!  Think about how many Jets fans have gone to their graves thinking they would see another (or even their first!) Jets Super Bowl!  

If you are in your 20's then you are more likely to be impatient. As you get older, other things become more important. Before you know it you'll have very little hair on your head, and you'll wonder if being a Jets fan caused it!

- Jets fan since 1981

I love that line, "failure is an orphan but success has a thousand fathers."  It is kind of the way being a distant sports fan of the losing team.  You feel like one member of a select group that knows something everybody else knows.  The Jets I've followed since high school in that they were this distant, far away team with uniforms I loved.  I always figured they'd go through a purple patch of success..... but now over 20 years later I'm still waiting.  I grew up in Portland, Oregon in the 80's where you are completely inundated with Seattle sports like some sort of bad WWII propaganda.  I don't know if any of you can relate but it is absolutely infuriating.  Is there a local baseball or football team you like?  No.... Can you go see them regularly, Um No..... So I guess I can choose the team I want to watch.  BUT BUT BUT "Why aren't you a Seahawks or Mariners fan? They are ONLY 144 miles away in a town you can't stand with people who consider you a bunch of I-5 hipster cousins!"  I guess you could say I became a Jets and Yankees fan so I could spite those teams.   And maybe you'd be right..... but thousands of people follow soccer teams without ever even visiting the home stadium, so I see no problem.

On 12/9/2016 at 11:58 PM, pfilippone said:

This times infinity!! 47 years is way too long between super bowl appearances!!  Think about how many Jets fans have gone to their graves thinking they would see another (or even their first!) Jets Super Bowl!  

If you are in your 20's then you are more likely to be impatient. As you get older, other things become more important. Before you know it you'll have very little hair on your head, and you'll wonder if being a Jets fan caused it!

- Jets fan since 1981

my first year was '81 too but I still have my hair:lol:

Archived