Jets\Pats -- Belly Cheated: MERGED

Jet Moses

Let me get this straight: Your opponent is calling a passing play into triple coverage when you have an "all-out blitz" on and you want to call a timeout? If the Jets stole the Pats signals that's the D I'd have used against that play.

If it was 3rd and 16, on the Pats 9, yeah. But not on 2 and 6 at the Pats 49. Jets D only made the Pats punt once thus far, so their only hope at that point in the game with the score 21-7 is to keep everything in front of them and hope to hold them to FG's once in the red zone.

Why leave yourself vulnerable to a big play like that?

Also keep in mind the Jets blitzed once or twice before that, and both times the result was a big play ie first down for the Pats.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is my take on the whole thing...

In all my years as a Jets fan (And that is ALOT of years) The only time I have seen a Jets fanbase so divided on the QB situation is with Todd and Matt Robinson back in 1979.

If there had been an internet or message boards back then there is no doubt that there would have been bloodshed.

I have do doubt that those cheers were from the Clemens side who were finally going to get a chance to see what he can do. Fans of struggling teams always think that the next guy can do the job. We all felt that way when Chad came in for Vinny in 02.

When Vinny snapped his achillies in the 99 opener that stadium was so dead silent you could hear a pin drop. You know why ? Because EVERY Jets fan in that stadium knew that their Super Bowl dreams had just gone down the tubes.

Cheering for Clemens at that spot was/is the same thing as cheering Chad getting hurt.

I hope he does well. It's going to take 6-8 games probably before he is comfortable. Hopefully he is not the second coming of Browning Nagle. Right now we just don't know.

We are going to find out though.

You don't know if it's really divided except in the perception of this board. It's not even a dispute; the Pats game was out-of-control before you sat down for the 3rd quarter. IF Pennington cannot go, Clemens goes. And I think it's clear that Mangini is just covering Pennington on the injury report and Clemens will be the starter for at least the next few weeks. Ilets' hope he does well.

While the Ravens defense have Ed Reed, have to say i wasn't overly impressed. Though again in the trenches they seem to be much like the Pats physically. It might be a tough matchup, but they do not sport the Pats offense.

Let me get this straight: Your opponent is calling a passing play into triple coverage when you have an "all-out blitz" on and you want to call a timeout? If the Jets stole the Pats signals that's the D I'd have used against that play.

I thought it was just me.

I guess some want 4+ DB's to cover 1 WR and 7 or fewer guys trying to get to the QB with 9 guys blocking for him.

Moss had a great game, but if anyone thinks a good defense is to quadruple-team one player because triple-teaming him is to be assumed inadequate coverage, then I don't know what to say.

Here is my take on the whole thing...

In all my years as a Jets fan (And that is ALOT of years) The only time I have seen a Jets fanbase so divided on the QB situation is with Todd and Matt Robinson back in 1979.

If there had been an internet or message boards back then there is no doubt that there would have been bloodshed.

I have do doubt that those cheers were from the Clemens side who were finally going to get a chance to see what he can do. Fans of struggling teams always think that the next guy can do the job. We all felt that way when Chad came in for Vinny in 02.

When Vinny snapped his achillies in the 99 opener that stadium was so dead silent you could hear a pin drop. You know why ? Because EVERY Jets fan in that stadium knew that their Super Bowl dreams had just gone down the tubes.

Cheering for Clemens at that spot was/is the same thing as cheering Chad getting hurt.

I hope he does well. It's going to take 6-8 games probably before he is comfortable. Hopefully he is not the second coming of Browning Nagle. Right now we just don't know.

We are going to find out though.

What gets obfuscated was there were two seperate outbursts of cheering-

The first came while Pennington was writhing on the ground in obvious pain. That is the outburst I am referring to. Everybody is trying to wash that stain out because yes, when Pennington was hobbling off the field, the derisive cheers continued, but were mixed with the usual cheers that come from a crowd when an injured player is able to get off the field, or is carried off the field- usually in a show of support.

I thought it was just me.

I guess some want 4+ DB's to cover 1 WR and 7 or fewer guys trying to get to the QB with 9 guys blocking for him.

Moss had a great game, but if anyone thinks a good defense is to quadruple-team one player because triple-teaming him is to be assumed inadequate coverage, then I don't know what to say.

Obviously triple-teaming him is inadequate coverage.

Assumed or otherwise.

What gets obfuscated was there were two seperate outbursts of cheering-

The first came while Pennington was writhing on the ground in obvious pain. That is the outburst I am referring to. Everybody is trying to wash that stain out because yes, when Pennington was hobbling off the field, the derisive cheers continued, but were mixed with the usual cheers that come from a crowd when an injured player is able to get off the field, or is carried off the field- usually in a show of support.

This I agree with. It was weak. But it was hardly like the whole stadium was erupting in uniform cheer & mocking laughter - my section didn't - while CP was rolling around on the ground. There was a big cheer when KC came in & I was one of them.

But I can't honestly say that the first thing that came to mind when CP was hopping off the field, was "Oh no! There goes the superbowl this year!" The Vinnie '99 analogy was a great one; everyone had different expectations for that team & it was like being at a funeral when it happened.

Obviously triple-teaming him is inadequate coverage.

Assumed or otherwise.

You shouldn't need more than double-coverage. Triple was almost overkill.

When Coles ran around/eluded 5 players in the first NE game last year, was BB kicking himself for stupidly failing to send 6 players to that side of the field?

Or was he likely just pissed off at his players for looking like they didn't know how to tackle?

You shouldn't need more than double-coverage. Triple was almost overkill.

When Coles ran around/eluded 5 players in the first NE game last year, was BB kicking himself for stupidly failing to send 6 players to that side of the field?

Or was he likely just pissed off at his players for looking like they didn't know how to tackle?

It was a classic case of "this is too good to be true". Thats why I'd call a time-out. And maybe that's what Belli wanted Mangini to do.

And it blew up in the Jets faces. Only the Jets. Sigh. :bag:

Just curious, who were the 3 D-backs? Was Rhodes in on the blitz?

It was a classic case of "this is too good to be true". Thats why I'd call a time-out. And maybe that's what Belli wanted Mangini to do.

I seriously don't remember. But 3 DB's who didn't get cut should be enough to cover 1 WR during an otherwise all-out blitz.

Moss outran the coverage, it's as simple as that.

E.Coleman was the deep man on that play. I'd be guessing who the other two were- another DB might have been barrett, and I'm sure they'll show the play on SC again.

E.Coleman was the deep man on that play. I'd be guessing who the other two were- another DB might have been barrett, and I'm sure they'll show the play on SC again.

If the Pats stole the Jets signals, it may have played a role. BUT-

That pass seemed to be in the air forever. It's a play only 2 great players like Moss with his speed and Brady with his arm can make. Short of interfereing with Moss, there really wasn't much you could do. They had a graphic on MNF last night showing Ed Reed had travedled 80+ yard in his TD punt return. That ball was thrown some distance, and I'd love to see a similar graphic for how far it traveled in the air. It was jsut a great play.

If the Pats stole the Jets signals, it may have played a role. BUT-

That pass seemed to be in the air forever. It's a play only 2 great players like Moss with his speed and Brady with his arm can make. Short of interfereing with Moss, there really wasn't much you could do. They had a graphic on MNF last night showing Ed Reed had travedled 80+ yard in his TD punt return. That ball was thorwn some distance, and I'd love to see a similar graphic for how far it traveled in the air. It was jsut a great play.

At least 377 yards. Google "hypotenuse" if you don't believe me.

Coleman may have been the deep man, but if so, then it's only his fault for the last few yards while Moss walked into the endzone. I think Barrett was the one that was trailing that lob and didn't get near it. He was not running full tilt and simply misplayed the ball-of course, I could be mistaken, those ****ty plays all run together after a while.

I was at the game and that was CLEARLY not the case. I was VERY glad that the section I was sitting in (great seats gg - thank you!) had only one such d*ck. Unfortunately for me, he was sitting right in front of me. I'm not a Jets fan in any way - but that was just wrong and I told everyone just that.

How exactly did you deduce that the fans in the stadium were CLEARLY cheering Pennington's injury? Were there people screaming "WoooWhooo! Pennington's out, Clemens is in!" all giddy like, or were people just cheering for the guy to come in a make something happen? I'm fascinated to hear how you CLEARLY know what was going on in minds of 70,000+ fans.

Yes, i heard 124 right through my radio. Didnt you?

;-)

Not for nothing, but when Phil "I hate the Jets" Simms says the fans are cheering Clemens entry into the game, there has got to be something to it. Phil never passes up a chance to take a shot at the Jets. Or maybe 124 scared him into saying it with that red beard of his - not sure which. :roll:

124? How did he see Penny go down? Didn't he gouge his eyes out from Barrett spending so much time on the field?

David Barrett should have been cut at half time.

First of all, let me point out two things I noticed while watching the game - AND THEY WERE OBVIOUS:

The "cheer" heard when Pennington went down was a DERISIVE CHEER. Anybody trying to suggest otherwise is in denial.

The second thing is, it DID look as if the Pats had the Jets playbook. I'm watching this game and I'm thinking that THERE IS JUST NO WAY A QB HAS THAT MUCH TIME TO THROW THE BALL.

C'mon we've all played two hand touch. Sooner or later you run out of Mississippi's.

Need some proof to back it up? OK, case in point:

7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, Pats have the ball, it's a 2nd down and 6, Pats are up 21-7. As bad as the Jets are playing, they are still in this. OK, so our defense calls an all out blitz. The Pats as we now know, know whats coming and line-up with one WR on the field.

OK this is what kills me- at what point does Mangini, or Sutton or even Vilma call a time-out? You have an all out blitz on this play, and the Pats send you a red flag TELLING YOU THEY ARE KEEPING EVERYBODY IN TO BLOCK by having only one WR lineup.

And yet, amazingly, not only do the Jets blitz, but Brady has enough time to connect on a 51 yard passing play - 51 YARDS!!!!- to a solo WR who is triple teamed by our secondary.

He had "only" three D-backs covering him of course because one of them was in the blitz package.

It was only after that TD that the game got away from the Jets and turned into a blowout.

So yes, the Pats stealing signals definitely helped them seal the deal and I don't want to hear otherwise. But on the other hand, I just look at the total ineptitude of the coaching staff and our players on that play, and I got to shrug and ask how the Hell do you go ahead and blitz a team that only lines up one WR? On 2-6 on their own 49 yard line?

On a more serious note, it doesn't look good for the Everett kid from the Bills. Kind of makes you sicker when you see scumbags like Belly pulling the sh*t he does and compromising what little integrity is left to any of this. That bastard.

Great point and it was even dumber than that. The Jets had an all out blitz and PLAYED A ZONE DEFENSE. With one WR??? Moss just ran from one zone to another until he ended up in Barrett's area. The others were running after Moss because they had no one else to cover, but it was already too late.

You have a CB bump and run with Moss at the LOS and have a safety waiting to help deep. You don't play a cover 3 zone with an all out blitz. Page 33 of Coaching Football for Dummies.

Ahem - even Phil Simms who happens to HATE the NY Jets made the correct observation that the cheers were for Clemens entering the game, not Chad being injured.

Nope. the fans cheered loudly when Penny was laying there in pain.

I was there in 327. I heard it all around me.

Lots of Jet fans hate Pennington and blame him for the Jets not having success.

Not for nothing, but when Phil "I hate the Jets" Simms says the fans are cheering Clemens entry into the game, there has got to be something to it. Phil never passes up a chance to take a shot at the Jets. Or maybe 124 scared him into saying it with that red beard of his - not sure which. :roll:

David Barrett should have been cut at half time.

Not for nothing? I did not know Ray Lucas Posted on this board. Anyone catch him on post game live? He starts every sentence with "not for nuthin"

That website looks like it was made with frontpage on windows 95 in a highschool web design class... lol

This Jets/Pats thing is making its way everywhere... it would be nice if the crowd didnt make jets fans look bad...

I am sure you have seen before,,This site is one of most linked news site in world,, everyone see the Pats now

This Jets/Pats thing is making its way everywhere... it would be nice if the crowd didnt make jets fans look bad...

It just made it's way to Fox News Network!

PS.. All sports fans have the capacity to suck no matter where they're from! When you gather a bunch of drunks together in a sports/competitive atmosphere.. stupid classless things are bound to happen.

Nope. the fans cheered loudly when Penny was laying there in pain.

I was there in 327. I heard it all around me.

Lots of Jet fans hate Pennington and blame him for the Jets not having success.

A couple of idiots in a section doesn't make for a whole stadium or fan base, PR.

Not for nothing? I did not know Ray Lucas Posted on this board. Anyone catch him on post game live? He starts every sentence with "not for nuthin"

You got me - just call me crazy legs Lucas.

One player was an LB. #51 thats Barrett right?

Moss is still fast.

That was Jon Vilma - Barrett is #36.

Dude, as soon as I heard it I knew it was Heckyl and Jeckyl BS. I didn't need Phil Simms to tell me what my gut already did. Sorry, gotta disagree.

Alot of Jets fans don't like Pennington and want him gone- their voices were heard loud and clear. My consious is clear and I have no sense of shared guilt or shame for that disgusting outburst, nor do I feel I need to apologize for them.

i was at the game. each time he buckled to the ground in agony they cheered.

Archived