Is Reggie Bush the Biggest Bust in N.F.L. History?

R44

He's a bust. But he will always be useful so he doesnt sink to the level of, say, Ryan Leaf or Tim Couch.

I agree, if your comment, will....If your New Orleans you "hope" he's at least a Desmond Howard type in the return game.....New Orleans may actually get to the point where they move him to WR. However, although he catches a ton of balls, he shows almost no zip running after the catch either.

According to blackout, he's still the next great running back.

Dude, he's better than MJD, stats be damned.

:rl:

It's funny how highly touted he was, when there were good to great bargain RB's that year...Addai (late first, or early second?), MJD, Williams is pretty solid, Mike Bell, Leon...i'm sure there are more...hell, florence looks pretty decent next to Bush.

New Orleans may actually get to the point where they move him to WR. However, although he catches a ton of balls, he shows almost no zip running after the catch either.

That is a good point. If NO was smart maybe they would try to get him to shed 10 pounds first. I believe he put on some weight since being in the NFL which is probably the reason he doesn't lost some quickness.

Idk if he is a total bust - because he is exacty what I thought he would be personally. One thing is for sure there are a lot of people at ESPN that owe Mario Williams and Charley Casserly an appology.

That is a good point. If NO was smart maybe they would try to get him to shed 10 pounds first. I believe he put on some weight since being in the NFL which is probably the reason he doesn't lost some quickness.

Idk if he is a total bust - because he is exacty what I thought he would be personally. One thing is for sure there are a lot of people at ESPN that owe Mario Williams and Charley Casserly an appology.

RS, you DID predict he would be nothing more than a kick returner....So far, you are correct and I seriously doubt he'll be a star runner, as was predicted.

By the way, speaking of apology's, Jets media owes Herm one -- remember all the hassle he got when he was constantly asked if it was better to lose meaningless games for a higher pick?

I think Bush made Herm coin this phrase: "Hello, You play to win the game!"

ESPN types love to repeat that Herm-phrase.

is this the dumbest thread in Internet history?

Lurker --

If you don't have anything to add, don't add anything. R44 knows more about sports than anybody I have ever met.

It is stewpid posts like yours that keep guys like him from posting more.

I agree that Bush is somewhat of a bust. He was riculously overhyped coming out of college when if you analyze his game it was kind of obvious he'd struggle to run in the NFL. Heis still very useful though for the Saints, I think he leads the NFC in receptions. Even so a RB who can't run will never be 'elite' or even above average.

The Houston Texans made a great choice in passing on him, especially now that Mario has turned into a real force on their D-line. Houston were killed for making that pick, turns out they realised something that no-one else could seem to grasp, that Bush wasn't the second coming of Barry Sanders or Walter Payton and that he was never going to be anything more than a scatback.

Not the biggest bust in history, only because NO didn't have to give up anything to draft him 2nd overall. Had somebody coughed up multiple picks for him then yes, he is a huge bust. He is probably the most overhyped player in the past 10 years, and he is certainly the most overpaid kick returner in the league. Hell, he's not even the best kick returner in the league. Not even 2nd or 3rd best lol. This kid will be nothing more than Dave Meggett/Desmond Howard at best.

The biggest bust in history? Hardly. He is at least going to stick around the league as a change of pace back, a receiving threat and punt / kick returner. I still don't know if either Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith should be the biggest bust of all-time. Probably Leaf since he was compared with Peyton Manning.

I agree that Bush is somewhat of a bust. He was riculously overhyped coming out of college when if you analyze his game it was kind of obvious he'd struggle to run in the NFL. Heis still very useful though for the Saints, I think he leads the NFC in receptions. Even so a RB who can't run will never be 'elite' or even above average.

The Houston Texans made a great choice in passing on him, especially now that Mario has turned into a real force on their D-line. Houston were killed for making that pick, turns out they realised something that no-one else could seem to grasp, that Bush wasn't the second coming of Barry Sanders or Walter Payton and that he was never going to be anything more than a scatback.

Interesting point about him never being even an average running back because he doesn't run well. I agree that he is somewhat of a bust, or at least offers little value for his salary, but he could be revolutionizing the position right before our eyes.

You can see it happening with every Pats/Colts win. The spread offense. Guys like Edgerine Jame hold so much value because of his pass catching ability. What happens if you put a guy like Jamal Lewis on those old Colts teams? There would be no we he would be half the back James was, or that Addai is.

I think Bush was a total wasted pick, i called that one too (i call every top five pick to be a bust unless it's a linemen...you can tell me how that has works out...lol). He is helping the NFL push towards the pass even more.

JMO

RS, you DID predict he would be nothing more than a kick returner....So far, you are correct and I seriously doubt he'll be a star runner, as was predicted.

By the way, speaking of apology's, Jets media owes Herm one -- remember all the hassle he got when he was constantly asked if it was better to lose meaningless games for a higher pick?

I think Bush made Herm coin this phrase: "Hello, You play to win the game!"

ESPN types love to repeat that Herm-phrase.

I think I was complaining too that Herm couldn't even lose when we needed him to.

McFadden is similar to Bush too. His hips appear to be too small to be an everydown type back in the NFL.

No he's not.

Get this guy in the right offense and he shines.

Bust?

How about Brian Bosworth and Tony Mandarich?

Good calls. Bosworth pulled off one of the greatest stunts, though. He had a couple thousand "Boz-Busters" shirts made up and sold in the parking lot at a road game. All these people bought the shirts, thinking they were busting Bosworth's balls, when they were actually paying the man.

Here's another thing to think about: Assuming Duece McAllister is shot from age (RB's get old quick in the N.F.L.) and the ravages of injuries on his knees, New Orleans will most likely be forced to use a very high pick at running back, or invest a ton of money on a free agent tailback.

That's almost unthinkable less than 20 months ater a drafting a player #2 overall....nutkick.gif

Lurker --

If you don't have anything to add, don't add anything. R44 knows more about sports than anybody I have ever met.

It is stewpid posts like yours that keep guys like him from posting more.

irrelevant. I didn't say he was stupid. I said this was an extremely dumb thread. Don't see how you can argue that.

Reggie Bush the biggest bust in NFL history? He's already accomplished more than hundreds of highly touted draft picks.

Interesting point about him never being even an average running back because he doesn't run well. I agree that he is somewhat of a bust, or at least offers little value for his salary, but he could be revolutionizing the position right before our eyes.

You can see it happening with every Pats/Colts win. The spread offense. Guys like Edgerine Jame hold so much value because of his pass catching ability. What happens if you put a guy like Jamal Lewis on those old Colts teams? There would be no we he would be half the back James was, or that Addai is.

I think Bush was a total wasted pick, i called that one too (i call every top five pick to be a bust unless it's a linemen...you can tell me how that has works out...lol). He is helping the NFL push towards the pass even more.

JMO

IMO Reggie Bush is the kind of back who, with the Broncos offence could be an absolute stud. In most offences though he would/will really struggle.

IMO Reggie Bush is the kind of back who, with the Broncos offence could be an absolute stud. In most offences though he would/will really struggle.

I'd actually say the opposite. The Broncos are a team, as you know, that tell their backs to stick their foot in, cut, and go. No dancing, no anything until you in the second level. Bush has always been a home run hitter. He stood behind his great line at USC and waited. The whole would almost always develop for a truck to back threw, and then he hit it, started dancing and let his insane athletesicm take over.

If he is coachable, he could be great in the broncos system, i just don't see a guy like that changing his whole style.

A Mike Martz team would love to have Reggie, with all his pass catching ability, and Martz loving to go for the home run on every play.

I'd actually say the opposite. The Broncos are a team, as you know, that tell their backs to stick their foot in, cut, and go. No dancing, no anything until you in the second level. Bush has always been a home run hitter. He stood behind his great line at USC and waited. The whole would almost always develop for a truck to back threw, and then he hit it, started dancing and let his insane athletesicm take over.

If he is coachable, he could be great in the broncos system, i just don't see a guy like that changing his whole style.

A Mike Martz team would love to have Reggie, with all his pass catching ability, and Martz loving to go for the home run on every play.

agree on all points.

irrelevant. I didn't say he was stupid. I said this was an extremely dumb thread. Don't see how you can argue that.

Reggie Bush the biggest bust in NFL history? He's already accomplished more than hundreds of highly touted draft picks.

Thanks for backup, Max. Much appreciated.

Lurker, if you read the thread closely I LINKED an article that stated Bush was the biggest bust in N.F.L. history.

My opinion is he wasn't, but he's been a huge disappointment. Forget all the glitz and marketing to the teen crowd the NFL does with Bush, his RB stats are a joke -- yards per rush are laughable and his average after the catch would get him cut, if he was day 2 pick or free agent!!!

All I wanted was feedback regarding the ARTICLE I LINKED. I posted this to help my friend (Max) get some good football talk going here at JN....what some people don't seen to realize is sites like this are free for the posters, but not free for Max -- he's pays $ 1,000's per year in server costs and needs to recover that (and break even) by getting a lot of page turns and increasing traffic -- believe it or not, most come to JN to talk about football more than tailgating.

It succeded in helping him with this Bush thread -- a bunch of replies and 450 page turns in this thread....My guess is there will be a lot more turns...boxing.gif

To me this is exactly his problem: He doesnt explode through the line. He dances too much and then runs too upright as he decided where to go. So, he's easy to tackle before he gets it into gear. But once in gear he is definitely super quick and super explosive/fast. But NFL running is about success between the tackles. IMO.

To me this is exactly his problem: He doesnt explode through the line. He dances too much and then runs too upright as he decided where to go. So, he's easy to tackle before he gets it into gear. But once in gear he is definitely super quick and super explosive/fast. But NFL running is about success between the tackles. IMO.

Agreed.

With all salaries being equal (meaning, no salary cap penalties)...There would be no way, Jax, Indy, New England, or Carolina would give up their first round RB's for Bush. The only one that would consider it, would be New England, since Florence is a huge sissy, then again, he was second round i believe.

If a team were to take him on, it would be for jersey sales, not numbers.

Archived